Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2013, 17:02   #1
NavyMSU

Shield vs PPS vs XDs (9mm)

I've been trying to find a PPS to get a feel for, and the XDs 9 will be available whenever Springfield is in the mood... So I almost bought a Shield yesterday, then today I almost went back to the show today to buy it again.

How many of you have settled for a firearm you could find instead of waiting for something to be available?

I like the adjustable backstraps of the PPS (big hands).

I like the grip safety of the XDs. I handled the 45 and it felt good.

I'm not a fan of physical safeties, but the Shield did feel good in the hand, and it was readily available...

So, who's fallen to temptation?

I wish Glock had a single stack model with the same size of the 26!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NavyMSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 17:33   #2
sabrownfl

I'm in the same dilemna...

Shot an XDs .45 and loved it, but really want it in a 9mm. That led me to the PPS 9mm, which I can find in stock, but at a price premium of $70 over an XDs .45. I'm not a fan of the safety on the Shield, so now I'm looking at a Glock 26 and wondering if it is too thick.

Decisions, decisions.
sabrownfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 17:35   #3
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

I like the passive safeties of the XDS. I had a Shield as well and since both in 9mm will have the same capacity and are the same size, it comes down to which one might feel better to you. The Shield in 9mm has been out for a time so obviously it will be more available. If you're looking to make a final choice, just look at the 45acp XDS to make a decision since it will be the same size.

I don't have any experience with the PPS, but people either like or don't like all 3 of them so it's still personal preference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 17:38   #4
glowrod
Fightin' Fire

I held out for a PPS for quite a while. It was worth the wait. I later came across the XDs and picked that up as well. Both great firearms. I did not care for the Shield, it just wasn't for me and did not feel comfortable in my hand. The XDs is now my EDC as it gets the nudge over the 9mm PPS. The single stacks IWB with great ease and comfort.
Old 05-19-2013, 17:42   #5
Bruce M

I am guessing that you will be happier if you wait for what you really want and that is coming from someone who likes the Shield more.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 19:28   #6
bac1023

I only own the Shield, but all three are great pistols.

I'd probably take the Walther if given a choice.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 22:48   #7
Glock 23 Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post
...How many of you have settled for a firearm you could find instead of waiting for something to be available?...
Well...

I settled "on" a G36, because Gaston doesn't make a slimline G23. Outstanding pistol.

I am currently looking for a PPS in .40, but would buy said slimline G23 in a heart-beat (for about 2/3 the cost) if it were to become available.

[holding_breath]

Nutter
Glock 23 Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 00:43   #8
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

The Shield is what I chose. The PPS is a close second but the odd mag release doesn't even vaguely resemble my duty pistol or carry pieces.

I won't touch any XD series.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:22   #9
mixflip

I shot the XDs9 at Shot Show. I have never been a big fan of the XDs so for me to LOVE this gun says alot. The Shield ironically feels a little "TOO" thin in the grip for me which is weird lol. You'd think you would want a thin grip but I have big hands and I guess I need more vs less in the grip.

I even asked Glock to make a single stack 9mm when I was at Shot Show. Here is proof...

Last edited by mixflip; 05-20-2013 at 01:25..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:28   #10
willieH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post
I've been trying to find a PPS to get a feel for, and the XDs 9 will be available whenever Springfield is in the mood... So I almost bought a Shield yesterday, then today I almost went back to the show today to buy it again.

How many of you have settled for a firearm you could find instead of waiting for something to be available?

I like the adjustable backstraps of the PPS (big hands).

I like the grip safety of the XDs. I handled the 45 and it felt good.

I'm not a fan of physical safeties, but the Shield did feel good in the hand, and it was readily available...

So, who's fallen to temptation?

I wish Glock had a single stack model with the same size of the 26!

Your ambivalence is telling you that conflicting motives and thoughts about this purchase may result in an unsatisfactory choice. There is no perfect firearm and finding one that meets most of your requirements is key to finding satisfaction. I've purchased a handgun that I initially liked and found that in actual use has fallen short of that first impression. Of course the opposite has occurred with finding a jewel.

Unless you quickly need a gun, delay your purchase until you can inspect all those on your short list. Don't let your desire for immediate satisfaction over-ride a choice made with first hand information. If not, buy all three and sort it out at the range.

Last edited by willieH; 05-20-2013 at 17:04..
willieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 14:20   #11
joatmo
Under treatment

I had the Shield and it was a great weapon. Easily concealable and even fun to shoot. Accuracy was good even at farther distances. I had the XDs in .45 also. Not as easy to conceal as the Shield but it was a .45. Accurate too although you had to hold on tight especially going for double and triple shots.
I now own a PPS in .40 and it's my EDC for Summer. Love the way it feels(very close to the Shield) and it's just as accurate as the other 2. It's not quite as small as the Shield but conceals pretty good.
Not telling you to go out and get a PPS but I think it's definitely worth trying out if you can.

I can't remember what it is i'm supposed to forget.
joatmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 14:36   #12
NavyMSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieH View Post
Unless you quickly need a gun, delay your purchase until you can inspect all those on your short list. Don't let your desire for immediate satisfaction over-ride a choice made with first hand information. If not, buy all three and sort it out at the range.
Indeed. When I wrote this I was itching to run back to the show and buy the Shield just because. Instant gratification urge was overcome.

I'm not in a hurry, but with Summer upon me (Houston, Tx), I'm finding my G30 is starting to become cumbersome and heavy (and very hard to find a holster for at a store where I can try before I buy).

I don't know anybody who has any of these to borrow, so it's really going to come down to finding all three at a single store or gunshow. I still won't know the trigger feel, so ill have to reply on Internet opinions for that. I like my trigger to have a smooth take up with a solid wall of resistance with a clean break.

I installed the - connector on my G30 and I hate the spongy trigger: no clean wall, it just gets slightly heavier but no point of distinction.

However, still better than those triggers that haze zero weight difference that just keep pulling and pulling until my large hand is cramping before the break/release of the firing pin.

I'd buy all 3 if I could! I'd write up a heck of a 3-way review... Maybe try to rent or borrow a Beretta Nano for a 4-way.

NavyMSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 14:55   #13
countrygun

I don't really grok the concept of the XDS in 9mm???? It isn't going to have a massive capacity advantage over the .45 and when you have fewer bullets bigger IS better. At the range the XDS is likely to be employed at in any caliber, I very much doubt the BG is going to stand there and let you empty a mag anyway.

To me it is the long awaited continuation of the Charter Bulldog and Star PD concept of my younger days and I just don't see wanting it in any other caliber.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 17:53   #14
barth
six barrels

Wait and get what you really want.

If you already have a quality EDC?
Then waiting for what you really want is just willpower.
Not that I have much.
But I've resisted the PPS, Shield and XDs so far.

Already have;
HK P2000SK,
Glock G27,
Kahr MK40 Elite,
S&W 640-1 357 Centennial,
and
S&W 342 ti 38 +P Centennial.
So there's no real hurry for me.
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:15   #15
chief63

I was waiting on a Shield at normal prices and ended up with a PPS. I like it. Very accurate.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:55   #16
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

If you're buying holsters at a store, you're generally doing it wrong.

I've been carrying a G30 for 14 years and I've never actually FOUND a G30 holster in a store.

Buy, try, return if necessary. The Comp-Tac C-Tac or M-TAC and Raven Concealment Phantom are two of the best you'll find, though Contact!Concealment is coming along nicely and makes some good stuff as well.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
Old 05-23-2013, 08:15   #17
strive2walk

The shield has the same safeties as a Glock with an ADDED thumb safety. If you don't want to use it... don't! It is very small, well-placed and unobtrusive. The only thing I find difficult about mine is the difference in length between the webbing of my hand and where my finger falls on the trigger. I am way too comfortable with the ergonomics of a Glock.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:51   #18
capnjim01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
The Shield is what I chose. The PPS is a close second but the odd mag release doesn't even vaguely resemble my duty pistol or carry pieces.

I won't touch any XD series.
I usually read you post and find a good deal of useful information, I own an XD40 that I has worked as well as my Glock 22. Please tell me your reason for not owning one.
capnjim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:05   #19
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

No XD has survived any major police department acquisition process I'm aware of.

Under high round counts, the XD grip safety can suffer from a timing issue where the safety is depressed and the gun still does not go bang.

This can happen in under a thousand rounds.
Old 05-23-2013, 13:12   #20
capnjim01

Police departments probably go with who gives them the best deal, my speculation It's probably Glock.

Has far as the grip safety I've never heard of that before but I will check into that.

I bought the XD because I couldn't find anything close to a good price maybe I re think that decision.
capnjim01 is offline   Reply With Quote