Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-18-2013, 19:58   #1
Vigilant

'06-'09 Tahoe PPV reliability?

I'm getting this strong urge to go pick one out from NCSHP's surplus inventory as a personal vehicle. Most of their Tahoes are used for commercial vehicle enforcement. Were these model years pretty reliable, or shop queens like the early Chargers? It's either this or a newer F-150, and I'm tempted to keep it simple.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 05-18-2013, 20:15   #2
blueiron

They were pretty well liked at my shop. Although we had to deal with boutique gas, most deal with it well, but there are always the exceptions.

Do you know an ASE Master certified tech you can take to the auction?
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 20:24   #3
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
They were pretty well liked at my shop. Although we had to deal with boutique gas, most deal with it well, but there are always the exceptions.

Do you know an ASE Master certified tech you can take to the auction?
Most of these are not sold at auction; they are sold at the DPS C&L Garage in Raleigh. I have done pretty well so far. I bought a '99 and an '04 Crown Vic from them, and they were both top notch. I still have the '04, with about 155,000 miles. Still running strong. Telltale signs like a clean underside, pristine interior and body, etc. usually tell a lot of the story. They won't allow a test drive, but promise (supposedly) that if anything major goes snafu in the first couple days, they will work with the buyer. Since I am with another State agency, I would hope that would help in a pinch.

It just seems like there is a lot more that could go wrong with a Tahoe than a Crown Vic or an F-150. Maybe I'm still just biased toward Ford.

Last edited by Vigilant; 05-18-2013 at 20:25..
Vigilant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 20:24   #4
JoeDanger

I can't speak for the 06-09's, but we have several 10's in our fleet, and they have been great. Ours are all 4x4, and we have had very few issues that have taken any of them out of service. The 1500 pickups that were purchased at the same time have not had such a great track record.
JoeDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:57   #5
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Most of these are not sold at auction; they are sold at the DPS C&L Garage in Raleigh. I have done pretty well so far. I bought a '99 and an '04 Crown Vic from them, and they were both top notch. I still have the '04, with about 155,000 miles. Still running strong. Telltale signs like a clean underside, pristine interior and body, etc. usually tell a lot of the story. They won't allow a test drive, but promise (supposedly) that if anything major goes snafu in the first couple days, they will work with the buyer. Since I am with another State agency, I would hope that would help in a pinch.

It just seems like there is a lot more that could go wrong with a Tahoe than a Crown Vic or an F-150. Maybe I'm still just biased toward Ford.
I had two a 2007 and a 2008 both were dead reliable I had the dual battery on both and the locking rear on one.
A very though truck with a good ride they look nice detailed out in black.

Also as far as reliability the 5.3 with the automatic transmission and that rear end is extremely reliable not much can go wrong with it they cant be used for towing so they won't have transmission issues. Its a body on frame so it's very solid and reliable

Last edited by Mayhem like Me; 05-21-2013 at 10:06..
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:19   #6
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDanger View Post
I can't speak for the 06-09's, but we have several 10's in our fleet, and they have been great. Ours are all 4x4, and we have had very few issues that have taken any of them out of service. The 1500 pickups that were purchased at the same time have not had such a great track record.
The 4x4 is a totally different animal from the PPV .
The PPV is lowered and no speed limiter, the early models also cone with front brake cooling ducts and no stabilitrack
Old 05-21-2013, 17:19   #7
Vigilant

Thanks for the input. They just responded to my inquiry, and stated that it will be July before they sell any more, due to emphasis being placed on getting new vehicles in service. That gives me plenty of time to mull it over.

Black would look good, no doubt, but I think I will opt for silver. Much easier to keep looking nice.
Old 05-22-2013, 14:09   #8
Pepper45

We have an '06, and it's been ridden hard and put away wet. 160k on it, and we've flogged the crap out of it. The original transmission just got rebuilt, apparently the number of miles being flogged at that level took it's toll. If they were used for commercial vehicle enforcement, they've been loaded down with gear, and never driven really hard. Our CMV rig will be driven to and from a detail, and squads are used for chase cars if they're necessary. I would assume other agencies do it the same way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Pepper45; 05-22-2013 at 14:09..
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 16:28   #9
Vigilant

From what I have seen, most of these run from about 120K to 150K miles when they are retired. Maintenance records are available, so, among other things, I would be looking for one with a recent set of brakes and rotors.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:39   #10
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

The 5.3 is a pretty bulletproof motor. The weak spot will be the trans followed by the rear axle assembly. Its just a roll of the dice really. If you can find one that was assigned to motor carrier I would roll with it.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 13:04   #11
Ajon412

I have an '09 Tahoe SSV / 4WD with approx. 80K miles and have had zero issues with it. I haven't heard of any issues/complaints with the ones we have and you know how cops are...

Last edited by Ajon412; 05-24-2013 at 20:27..
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 13:25   #12
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper45 View Post
We have an '06, and it's been ridden hard and put away wet. 160k on it, and we've flogged the crap out of it. The original transmission just got rebuilt, apparently the number of miles being flogged at that level took it's toll. If they were used for commercial vehicle enforcement, they've been loaded down with gear, and never driven really hard. Our CMV rig will be driven to and from a detail, and squads are used for chase cars if they're necessary. I would assume other agencies do it the same way.
Any idea what it cost to rebuild that trans?

From what I have seen, in the past, the trans is often the weak link in a Chevy drive train.

Of all four of those model years, the '06 is looking pretty good. Edmunds rates the passenger version slightly higher than the '07 and '08. Looks like they get about 1 MPG less fuel economy, but for me, I would fare better by leaving the difference in purchase price in the market. Looks as though the '06 was rated at 290 HP. and they went to 320 in '07. Methinks 290 should be sufficient.

Correction: Looks like 285 HP for the '06, according to MSP.

Last edited by Vigilant; 05-24-2013 at 14:07..
Vigilant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 14:59   #13
ray9898

How much are they going for on average?
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 15:02   #14
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
How much are they going for on average?
PM sent.
Old 05-24-2013, 16:34   #15
Pepper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Any idea what it cost to rebuild that trans?

From what I have seen, in the past, the trans is often the weak link in a Chevy drive train.

Of all four of those model years, the '06 is looking pretty good. Edmunds rates the passenger version slightly higher than the '07 and '08. Looks like they get about 1 MPG less fuel economy, but for me, I would fare better by leaving the difference in purchase price in the market. Looks as though the '06 was rated at 290 HP. and they went to 320 in '07. Methinks 290 should be sufficient.

Correction: Looks like 285 HP for the '06, according to MSP.
IIRC, they said it was $2500, with them doing EVERYTHING including towing. Gave us a long term warranty as well. I think it's the 4L60E, but it might have been a 4L80E, which would explain the cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 17:13   #16
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper45 View Post
IIRC, they said it was $2500, with them doing EVERYTHING including towing. Gave us a long term warranty as well. I think it's the 4L60E, but it might have been a 4L80E, which would explain the cost.
I could live with that, if I had to. I was hearing numbers around $4000.
Old 05-24-2013, 17:23   #17
I'M Glockamolie

A 2007/8 Tahoe will have the 4L60E trans, which as mentioned isn't exactly noted for reliability. A 2009 can have either the 4L60E or the 6L80E. For improved shifting AND longevity, install a Trans-Go shift kit on the lowest firmness settings. https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=64&page=1

Other than occasionally crapping out at low mileage, a main reason this trans gets a bad rap is that so many trans shops are bad at rebuilding them. There are only a handful of builders in the US that I'd have build a 4L60E. Pro-built (link above) is one. Circle D here in Houston is another.

PS - an '06 is old body style. While there's nothing technically wrong with them, I'd go for an '07 up if I could. That said, I liked my old '05, courtesy of Texas DPS:

Cop Talk

Last edited by I'M Glockamolie; 05-24-2013 at 17:27..
I'M Glockamolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 17:33   #18
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'M Glockamolie View Post
A 2007/8 Tahoe will have the 4L60E trans, which as mentioned isn't exactly noted for reliability. A 2009 can have either the 4L60E or the 6L80E. For improved shifting AND longevity, install a Trans-Go shift kit on the lowest firmness settings. https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=64&page=1

Other than occasionally crapping out at low mileage, a main reason this trans gets a bad rap is that so many trans shops are bad at rebuilding them. There are only a handful of builders in the US that I'd have build a 4L60E. Pro-built (link above) is one. Circle D here in Houston is another.

PS - an '06 is old body style. While there's nothing technically wrong with them, I'd go for an '07 up if I could. That said, I liked my old '05, courtesy of Texas DPS:

Cop Talk
Good info. Thanks. I realize the '06 is the older body style. If there is less than $1000 difference between an '06 and an '07. it would be an easy decision. Time will tell what their prices are when they crank back up.

What kind of fuel economy did you get with that '05?
Old 05-24-2013, 17:42   #19
I'M Glockamolie

In mixed driving, around 15-16 or so. It would pull 18-19 on a highway trip, and around town with a heavy foot I could dip as low as 13. If I didn't have a company car, I'd be driving a z56 Tahoe. I miss that thing. And I'm cheap, so it'd be old body style. Heck, I even liked the old OLD body style! Had two of those as well.

Cop Talk
Old 05-24-2013, 17:47   #20
I'M Glockamolie

You might check these out, to gauge pricing on an '07.

http://www.renebates.com/cgi-bin/mnl...?bates20/07236
http://www.renebates.com/cgi-bin/mnl...?bates20/07240
http://www.renebates.com/cgi-bin/mnl...?bates20/07250