Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2013, 20:09   #1
avery53

Why Am I Shooting High?

I bought my Glock 19 a couple of months ago, it is my first Glock.
I have always been a 1911 and a revolver shooter, but this thing is giving me fits as to why I shoot it so high. ( 4" at 10 yds )
A buddy who shoots Glocks at the police matches, took it with him to one of their shoots. Three different excellent shooters tried it out, all said it shot dead on for them.
I don't have this problem with the 1911, so I must be doing something wrong.
I am using the same sight picture, but apparently I'm doing something stupid.
I'm not a newbie, been shooting handguns for 40+ years.
This thing has me stumped.
Any ideas?

Thanks avery
avery53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 20:17   #2
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

The hump on the backstrap is making the gun point high for you, you're use to the thinner and flatter 1911 gun.

This is normal for a lot of folks new to Glocks, more so those that come from 1911's and are shooting one of the compact models.

If you take the gun (empty) in your hands and press out (like to point shoot) with your eyes closed, when you open your eyes the front sight will be high. It's a training issue but you can/will get passed it. Or buy one of the bigger frame models G17/etc and the issue might resolve as well. The hump on the bigger guns does not sit on the same place in your hand.

The other gentlemen had no issues because they're use to the Glock platform as you stated.

Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Fire_Medic; 05-17-2013 at 21:39.. Reason: Spelling
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 20:24   #3
avery53

I'm sitting here right now with gun in hand, you are correct about how it points. I'll keep working on it, hopefully I can get over the "hump".

Thanks for the quick reply
avery
Old 05-17-2013, 20:27   #4
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery53 View Post
I'm sitting here right now with gun in hand, you are correct about how it points. I'll keep working on it, hopefully I can get over the "hump".

Thanks for the quick reply
avery
You're very welcome. Training will correct it, or you can have the backstrap flattened/reduced.

Good luck and congrats on the new gun.
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
Old 05-17-2013, 20:55   #5
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

mine shoots a bit high, maybe 2 inches, consistent for other shooters too, heard its a problem common with glocks. One reason is sights being "one size fits all" From the 34s to the 26s.
Old 05-17-2013, 21:15   #6
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Are you aligning the sights with the front post down into the rear notch so they are flat across the top like this?

General Glocking

Or holding the front sight a little proud so you can see the whole white dot like this?
General Glocking

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Patron Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.

Last edited by Butch; 05-17-2013 at 21:22..
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 21:36   #7
suburbanhillbilly

I'm glad you got a real answer because from your title, I was expecting something completely different.
suburbanhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:37   #8
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

If your having trouble shooting high my advice would be to lay off the weed man.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:12   #9
JBP55

Never had that problem with a Glock or any other pistol. Proper sight alignment and trigger press works with all pistols. Rapid defensive shooting will require additional shooting if you are hooked on the 1911 platform.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:19   #10
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
Never had that problem with a Glock or any other pistol. Proper sight alignment and trigger press works with all pistols. Rapid defensive shooting will require additional shooting if you are hooked on the 1911 platform.
not all guns are zeroed for same sight picture, im a sight picture 3 guy, some like two, bullseye shooters like 1, ive shot a kimber that shot sight picture 1 and my rounds were 6 inches high, my cz is dead on and the glock 2 inches high
Old 05-18-2013, 08:10   #11
kodiakpb

If your sights are properly aligned the hump has nothing to do with shooting high.
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:48   #12
Jim S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packinaglock View Post
If your having trouble shooting high my advice would be to lay off the weed man.
I thought the same thing at first but I sure wasn't gonna say that.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:31   #13
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
If your sights are properly aligned the hump has nothing to do with shooting high.

On the compact Glocks to those new to Glocks, depending on your hand size the "hump" will sit in the middle of your palm. When you then grab the front strap with your dominant hand, if you're not paying attention this will cause the front of the pistol to come up some. When you go shoot, if you're not aware of this you might "think" your sights are aligned properly, but they're not. You will find yourself in a situation like the one Butch describes, and this can easily cause you to shoot high. This is VERY common (as I previously stated) with a lot of folks new to Glocks. I had this very same issue, so I am speaking from experience with myself as well as with experience teaching new shooters to shoot Glocks.

"For me", the larger G17/G22 grip is more comfortable because the "hump" sits lower in my hand, my hand is not as cramped with the more comfortable spacing in the finger grooves, and thus I also shoot that frame gun better.

You may not have experienced this, but it is a reality for some people. Very strong statement to say something you read could not possibly have anything at all to do with what is being discussed.

Please provide some backup/reasoning as to why what I and many people that I have taught have experienced is not possible.

If I was so off base the OP would not have experienced what I say when pressing out as I described with his eyes closed and then opening his eyes.

FM

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:49   #14
ron59
Bustin Caps

Well, the grip angle is different between Glocks and 1911s. So perhaps you're using the proper sight picture, but just as you're breaking the trigger... subconsciously moving your wrist to the position you were with the 1911?

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:24   #15
kodiakpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post

If I was so off base the OP would not have experienced what I say when pressing out as I described with his eyes closed and then opening his eyes.

FM
You misunderstood what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
If your sights are properly aligned the hump has nothing to do with shooting high
The hump can effect POI if you are used to a slightly different grip angle during point shooting/follow through. The user would be subconsciously locking the wrist at the angle they are used to during trigger break (resulting in an incorrect sight picture)...and either shoot high or low. For aimed fire (ie. if your sights are properly aligned), it doesn't matter. Proper sight picture/sight alignment is proper sight picture/sight alignment.

Edit: Ron understood what I was getting at.

Last edited by kodiakpb; 05-18-2013 at 10:25..
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:15   #16
avery53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Well, the grip angle is different between Glocks and 1911s. So perhaps you're using the proper sight picture, but just as you're breaking the trigger... subconsciously moving your wrist to the position you were with the 1911?
I do use sight picture #1.

Perhaps ron59 has something there. Grip angle and the trigger are both foreign to me. I'll keep practicing, and hope I can beat this thing.

Thanks everyone
avery
Old 05-18-2013, 11:48   #17
HK Dan

Hey Avery...is there any chance that you are looking at the target to see your shot hole just before you shoot? That's far more likely to cause you to shoot high than the GLOCK grip angle if you are using the sights.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03   #18
clawsonbob

Why Am I Shooting High?

I don't know why you are shooting high.

But I know firearms are dangerous and the use of any substances while handling firearms is a very bad idea...

Last edited by clawsonbob; 05-18-2013 at 12:04..
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 13:36   #19
avery53

Growing up in the 50's and 60's, the only substance I abused came in a 12oz brown bottle.
I am on pain killers since my back surgery, does that count?
Old 05-18-2013, 19:38   #20
garya1961

Focus on the front sight not the target.
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote