Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2013, 13:31   #1
ustate
NRA Member

Anyone load shotshells on a Lee Load All?

I was given a used Lee Load All several years ago that I've never looked at. I'm thinking about breaking it out to load buckshot loads and I'm just wondering if are they marked in anyway to see what gauge they're for? I'm at work now so can't go take it out to see if it's marked in any way until I get home tonight.
Old 05-16-2013, 14:03   #2
WiskyT
Malcontent

I bought a new one a year or two ago. The sizer ring is marked. It's a blue steel ring, like a big wedding band, that slips over the case and is forced over the metal base of the shell. If that is missing, you should track one down. The crimp dies should only fit a 12g if it is a 12g machine. I'll look it over to see if there are any other markings on it.

If you just want to load up cheap shells to go bang, slugs are a lot easier to cast and load than buck. I cast and load the Lee 1oz slug and while it is not a tack driver, I can keep them center mass at 35 yards with an 18.5" smoothbore with bead sight.

I use a trap load of Red Dot and they run about 1150fps out of the 18.5" tube for a good "low recoil" round. I loaded some full house loads with AA5 and I didn't clock them, but they really beat me up. I have no problem believing the 1,500 or so fps they are rated at.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 16:48   #3
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

I have used one for many years, but primarily for load development, slugs or steel. It works fine and the beauty is that all bushings come with. Actually, I have found the crimp on them to be very good. I can load a box in about 10 minutes.

That said - as a skeet shooter for many years and loading for both my wife and I, the fully progressive MEC in 12, 20, & 28 did all the heavy lifting.

I still have the Load All and if I start loading shot shell again, I'll use it as long as I don't need any more than 50 rounds a week or so. They work fine.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 16:54   #4
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Don View Post
I have used one for many years, but primarily for load development, slugs or steel. It works fine and the beauty is that all bushings come with. Actually, I have found the crimp on them to be very good. I can load a box in about 10 minutes.

That said - as a skeet shooter for many years and loading for both my wife and I, the fully progressive MEC in 12, 20, & 28 did all the heavy lifting.

I still have the Load All and if I start loading shot shell again, I'll use it as long as I don't need any more than 50 rounds a week or so. They work fine.

Yes. It's slow, but it's simple and it works. I wouldn't want load for a team of avid trap shooters with it, but make 50 slugs for a trip to the range every month, it works great. And, having all of the bushings does allow you to alter powder charges easily. I switched from Red Dot to Bullseye for my load with Winchester hulls because the RD took up too much room in the hull and it was quick and easy to do, I didn't have to order a bushing and wait for it.

Old 05-16-2013, 17:52   #5
Gunnut 45/454

Yep the only thing I've used for shotgun shells - loaded tens of thousands of them! The Sizer talls you the Gauge! I have the heads for 12/16 and 20 ga.
Old 05-16-2013, 18:19   #6
fredj338

Yep, even I own one, but then I don't load a lot of 12ga, just not worth it for me. It does a decent job if not slow. I am not sure how one loads 25 rds in 10min, Having to pull the sizing ring off & manually move shells around takes a long time. I also didn't bother with a primer feed, again, I load very little 12ga, prefer buying it.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 18:23   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent

Yeah, I don't have the primer attatchment. SG primers are big and easy to handle with your fingers.

Old 05-17-2013, 13:19   #8
ustate
NRA Member

Well, it turns out that the one I have is for 12g. The problem is that the only bushings I have are the ones currently in the thing. Though it looks like they're only about $5 on midway so that's not a big deal. May have to swing by some of the local gun shops around here and see if any of them have the bushings to save on shipping costs.
Old 05-17-2013, 13:47   #9
WiskyT
Malcontent

I doubt any local shops will have the bushings. Check and see what powder charge it throws, it might not be a bad choice. As for the shot bushing, you have to load the buck by hand, not through the hopper, so that one won't matter.

The CRB in me says make it work with the bushing you have. The rational side of me says order the replacement bushings.

Old 05-17-2013, 15:02   #10
ustate
NRA Member

That's what I'll do, see what charge is being thrown and just work with that load and only order the bushings if needed.