Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2013, 20:41   #1
MSW

.40 S&W loads for a glock 23, 27 & 22

I'm looking for a standard (target) load that will function in all of the above pistols.

I'll be shooting jacketed 180 grain flat points.

I'll be using either Bullseye, Unique or PowerPistol.

I've looked at a few manuals and have some ideas but I'm looking for one load with each type of powder.

Anyone have these same group ofpistols and have you worked up a load for these pistols?

Thanks.
MSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 21:36   #2
ejjeff

3.4 bullseye works well for me.
ejjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:13   #3
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

For a lighter target type load, 5.5gr of Unique works well, which is well below max so if you want a little more you can add a little powder. Power Pistol works well at max (7.2gr), never tried it as a target powder, although it's one of my favorite powders and super consistent.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:27   #4
Colorado4Wheel

I would use Unique and work it up to the midrange. Do not try to go with light loads with a compact Glock. So no fast powders either IMHO.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:55   #5
MSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
For a lighter target type load, 5.5gr of Unique works well, which is well below max so if you want a little more you can add a little powder. Power Pistol works well at max (7.2gr), never tried it as a target powder, although it's one of my favorite powders and super consistent.
Thanks to all who responded.

I don't have either Unique or Power Pistol right now (you know the story) but I'm supposed to be getting some.

I'm going to be loading on a Progressive reloader and I'm wondering how does 7.2 grs of PowerPistol fit in a .40 S&W case? In other words - does 14.4 grains (double charge) of PP "overfill" a case if I were to "double charge" a case by accident? Just wondering?

Same question for Unique.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:56   #6
MSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I would use Unique and work it up to the midrange. Do not try to go with light loads with a compact Glock. So no fast powders either IMHO.
Thanks.

I don't understand your comment about the compact Glock. Please explain.

How come no fast powders?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:26   #7
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSW View Post
Thanks.

I don't understand your comment about the compact Glock. Please explain.

How come no fast powders?
The compact guns may not cycle.

You answered your own question re: fast powders: They don't fill the case and a double charge is quite easy. They may also have a fairly narrow range between MIN and MAX and a little bit of powder goes a long way toward kaboom.

I certainly hope you plan to verify the load data provided above by comparing to either the powder manufacturer's web site or a printed manual. It's just too easy for an error to slip through.

You didn't say which manuals you had but the minimum would be Hornady, Speer and Lyman. One of each...

Richard
Old 05-17-2013, 10:30   #8
F106 Fan

When you peruse your manuals, you will notice that fast powders do not provide the highest velocities. That is the domain of slow powders.

Higher velocity implies higher recoil and recoil is what a Glock needs to cycle.

Fast powder - light loads
Slow powder - heavier loads.

Just look at the difference between Bullseye and Longshot.

You may want to print a copy of this. Just for reference...
http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Richard
Old 05-17-2013, 10:32   #9
Colorado4Wheel

Fast powder will not cycle the gun very well. Even closer to max. You want a medium speed powder for your 27. And then you want to work it up to mid level and a little beyond for a variety of reasons.

Unique will fill the case well enough to see, same for PP. Both will be obvious if you have a double charge. PP is really loud and flashy. Great powder but not a great indoor powder at all.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 05-17-2013 at 12:31..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:24   #10
dkf

Quote:

I don't have either Unique or Power Pistol right now (you know the story) but I'm supposed to be getting some.

I'm going to be loading on a Progressive reloader and I'm wondering how does 7.2 grs of PowerPistol fit in a .40 S&W case? In other words - does 14.4 grains (double charge) of PP "overfill" a case if I were to "double charge" a case by accident? Just wondering?

Power Pistol meters well and is not dirty but it has a lot of muzzle flash. The 7.2gr of PP will fill a .40 case well over half way.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 20:34   #11
MSW

Got it, I think.

I've got Speer, Lyman and Hornady manuals. I like Speer the best. I also read the posts from you guys and compare to the manuals.

I'm not trying to flatten any primers, I just want a consistent load which will cycle the pistols. I think I'm going with Unique or PP.

I shot a lot of Bullseye in my .45 years ago but that was in Combat Commander.

I'm an outdoor shooter so I'm not too worried about muzzle flash.

I continue to search for powder.

Thanks for advice.

Now tell me where to find the powder.
Old 05-17-2013, 22:56   #12
Colorado4Wheel

power pistol is a great powder.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:30   #13
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:

here ta go.

Reloading
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:25   #14
MSW

Shotgunred,

Thanks for the photo, it helped a great deal.

I'm continuing my search to buy PP or Unique but am not having any luck locally.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:28   #15
MSW

Buying Powder and Primers on line - I need to understand the process

Please explain to me the process of buying gunpowder on line.

Iím interested in the understanding the Hazmat fee, the shipping procedures, etc.

What are the tricks for getting the best dollar value on the order?

Who have you bought from and what have been your results?

Any suggestions or comments on the process?

Same questions for primers.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:07   #16
ColoCG

Places to buy powder and primers, PowderValley Inc., Grafs, Midsouth Shooter, Natchez SS, Wideners are all good. A $27 Hazmat charge + normal shipping charges are applied thru UPS or Fedex. You can combine up to about 50# of powder and primers in one box and hazmat. The more you get in the box the cheaper the hazmat and shipping seems, it is spread over a large quantity. So the trick is to always by in lage quantities. Try to order at least 8lbs of powder and 5 to 10 thousand primers. This is very hard to do now with supplies low. If you place an order and half is backordered then you wil have 2 Hazmat fees.

Good Luck

Last edited by ColoCG; 05-19-2013 at 09:09..
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20   #17
sourdough44

Hodgdon Universal is another very good 'medium' speed handgun powder. My local trap range sells reloading supplies & has a bunch of Universal for the shotgun reloaders.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 13:21   #18
Bluescot

I'm using 7.2g of Power Pistol with a 180g. cast, plated and jacketed bullets out of my G27 with good success. It is on the warm side and you will notice the recoil, not spanking your hand, but noticeable. Accuracy has been outstanding and very comforting.

I've shot my reloads over my chronograph and am using a KKM standard length barrel on my G27. Loads have been in the 1150-1160 fps range, which is an impressive load.

I've found little if any dirty powder conditions with the Power Pistol and have also messes around with Blue Dot at 8.6g with the 180g. bullets. Results there have also been impressive.
Bluescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 13:57   #19
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescot View Post
I've shot my reloads over my chronograph and am using a KKM standard length barrel on my G27. Loads have been in the 1150-1160 fps range, which is an impressive load.

I've found little if any dirty powder conditions with the Power Pistol and have also messes around with Blue Dot at 8.6g with the 180g. bullets. Results there have also been impressive.
That is a little warm in my book for PP. I stopped at 1150fps with 180gr in my 10mm. I could do more but the slide was moving so fast my ES really opened up.
Old 05-20-2013, 15:57   #20
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Fast powder will not cycle the gun very well. Even closer to max. You want a medium speed powder for your 27. And then you want to work it up to mid level and a little beyond for a variety of reasons.

Unique will fill the case well enough to see, same for PP. Both will be obvious if you have a double charge. PP is really loud and flashy. Great powder but not a great indoor powder at all.
While Unique would be a better overall choice, and I use lots of it in 40SW, I can't count how many tens of thousands of 40SW pills have been powered by Bullseye and Green Dot as they cycled my Glocks including my 27.

3.5 Bullseye with a 180 lead bullet cycles my G27 just fine. I've burned closer to 16# of Bullseye in 40SW over the years.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 16:35   #21
Bluescot

Quote:
That is a little warm in my book for PP. I stopped at 1150fps with 180gr in my 10mm. I could do more but the slide was moving so fast my ES really opened up.

Just checked my spreadsheet and an average of 8 choreographed loads using 7.2g of Power Pistol and 180g bullets the ES ranged from 16-22 which is not perfect but not bad.

It is a snappy load but the G27 handles it well and it also shoots well in a couple of Sig .40's.

I thought at one time about moving up to a G20 10mm but found that my loads in my shooters seemed to be right in the same neighborhood with velocity and great accuracy. My guess is that the KKM barrel may have contributed to the accuracy as well as some trigger work on the G27.

I carry it everyday loaded with Fed HST 180g and it is comforting.
Bluescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 16:45   #22
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Just checked my spreadsheet and an average of 8 choreographed loads using 7.2g of Power Pistol and 180g bullets the ES ranged from 16-22 which is not perfect but not bad.

It is a snappy load but the G27 handles it well and it also shoots well in a couple of Sig .40's.

I thought at one time about moving up to a G20 10mm but found that my loads in my shooters seemed to be right in the same neighborhood with velocity and great accuracy. My guess is that the KKM barrel may have contributed to the accuracy as well as some trigger work on the G27.

So I checked my Lyman manual. Max PP in 10mm for a 180gr bullet is 8.0gr at 1209fps.

Max in .40 is 6.7 gro for both the 180 and 175 gr options.
Max is 7.0 for thier 165 gr option
Max is 7.5 for their 150 gr option.

Weird thing is all the pressures in CUP are in the mid 25,000 range (which seems low to me). Memeory says the .40 is in the 32000 range for CUP pressure at max. Don't know what is up with all that data in my Lyman manual.
Old 05-20-2013, 19:39   #23
MSW

Thanks.

I'm studying this while I hunt for powder.
Old 05-21-2013, 15:50   #24
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:

Sounds like a good load, and I agree that a 180gr at 1150 fps is plenty stout, especially from the small G27 (which I have got using Longshot). While I have used Power Pistol, and it's one of my favorites, I've not messed much with it using lead. Looks like I've got some more playing around to do. What is your OAL for the load you mentioned above?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:13   #25
shotgunred
reloading nut

If you are looking for powder include WSF and SR 7625 on the list of possible powders. Not as many people use SR 7625 so it may be the easiest to find. It is however a very accurate medium burner that works well in the 40SW.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote