GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-05-2013, 13:47   #1
BigBore45

10mm Factory Ammo Case Bulge Normal or Not?

I have been buying and selling guns since I could legally buy them, and today I took the plunge and bought my first 10mm A Glock 29SF. I could not be happier she shoots like a dream why did I wait so long to get this perfect caliber? Still cant answer that one.

Any how I will be reloading so ammo cost is moot but one question I have is this.... I put 20 rounds of American Eagle ammo (180 grain) brass cases through it and they all have a slight case bulge is that normal? I also noticed the same bulge in the factory CCI casings it shipped with.

I want to run 200 gr hunting loads with a lone wolf barrel I have on order but I'm afraid I'll have a case failure unless a slight bulge is normal with a factory barrel? Any help would be appreciated.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
BigBore45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 15:40   #2
GONIF

Toss the brass away ,it is not safe to reload. If you want to reload 10mm brass ,you will need another barrel. I like the KKM barrels. Glock barrels are not fully supported and will have the Glock smile/bulge. Some say you can resize it ,but it will not be safe .
Old 07-05-2013, 17:57   #3
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

If it is a rounded bulge No Problen..."Pass-Thru" sizing will resize OK!

However if it is a "SMILE", a distinct line it is toast! The metal has started to shear at the molecular level! NOT GOOD!

Please look at the section "Cross section of a "Smiley" http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1403261
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 00:26   #4
pasky2112

Congrats on the G29!!
My personal preference is to swap out the OEM bbl with a KKM IF I'm going to shoot and reload high pressure rounds. Why? KKM's fit great out of box, they have good case support, shooting HOT loads in them... no smileys. Shoot same load in Glock bbl....I get smiley (sheared case head).

For example, I shot Underwood 180g XTP's in my Glock bbl...case was wasted d/t moderate smiley. Then I swapped in my KKM (same length) and shoot the same UW load/same box and didn't get smiley. (I can reproduce this easily on hot loads.) Also, I haven't seen any complaints about KKM like I've seen in other AM bbl manuf.'s.

That's MY experience and why I make that choice. Based on that, you can make your own judgment. Now if you're going to just shoot warm, real 10mm power loads and reload those cases warm or less, the stock Glock OEM bbl may be just fine. Again, this is my experience/opinion. Others may/will argue otherwise.

Just to be clear, a little case 'bulging' is normal from glock bbl's. I see them on cases of factory loads and in .40/9mm, as well, and can be resized/reloaded prudently. But 'smileys' have a distinct arc'd line that you can often click your finger nail over. If that's the ...ahem....case, definitely TOSS those! (and reconsider your bbl and/or load pressures) Besides, if your new to reloading 10mm (or ANY round), you shouldn't be loading max charges anyway... IMHO.

HTH...
10-Ring #2112 10mm Loaders #2112
G20 Gen3, G29SF Gen3, G23 Gen4
Armalite M15/YHM 20" 5.56 "100m fly swatter"

Last edited by pasky2112; 07-06-2013 at 00:35..
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 13:54   #5
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
Toss the brass away ,it is not safe to reload. If you want to reload 10mm brass ,you will need another barrel. I like the KKM barrels. Glock barrels are not fully supported and will have the Glock smile/bulge. Some say you can resize it ,but it will not be safe .
+1 Toss the Glock barrel. I switched to Barstow about 10 years ago no smileys even with fairly hot loads. All loading problems disappeared with the Barstow barrel. There other barrels available.