Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:40   #1
China boy

Gun lube

I'm new to shooting and want to clean my guns. I have two glocks and a ruger 22/45. I want to clean and lube them all. I know I can find videos on YouTube on how to disassemble the ruger and also how to clean them. But what I'm wondering is what do I need to buy as far as lube and anything else I would need? Will one type of gun lube work for both the glock and the ruger? I'm sure YouTube videos would have the persons opinion but I thought I'd ask here for a round table discussion.

Feel free to voice opinions, products, links to old posts with similar topics or videos on the subject. Thanks all!
China boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:49   #2
Bill Keith

Look up the links to old posts yourself. Gun cleaning is not a committee based, You Tube exercise for the web-literate. I'd suggest you crack open the Ruger owners manual and disassemble the gun as per instructions for cleaning.' Outers' makes a dandy 22 handgun/rifle cleaning kit - available at your local WalMart. Beer and cigars often come in handy for cleaning firearm(s). Don't drink and shoot guns, especially if you are a Noob...
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:11   #3
Pier23

Start simple and work up to more comples options, IMHO. Begin with a Hoppes cleaning kit with oil, CLP is a personal preference. Cleaning is a LOT easier now since all bullets are cased, so you dont have to dig out lead. The EPA does have some beneficial uses....

Get the unburnt powder cleaned out using Hoppes No. 9 solvent, or my current fav Browning aerosol cleaner. Get good cotton patches. Work from the chamber end out, not from the muzzle end in if that can be avoided. Reason for that is the end of the muzzle is the last thing the bullet touches before flight. If the crown of the muzzle gets bunged up, your accuracy will take a hit. This is nothing to panic about, aluminum cleaning rods are softer than gun metal, but a consideration.

Use brass brushes instead of the steel brushes for the same reason.

Dont obsess over getting every particle of powder out...you want it clean, but remember, it is gonna get dirty again.

Dont overlube! You dont want the gun dripping oil. Excess oil attracts dirt and powder residue and can harm rather than help.

Lube, then wipe everthing down with clean patches until a residue of oil remains, but you dont have any obvious puddles anywhere.

We now get into the grease vs oil debate, and I am not going there. Enjoy reading.

Oh...yes, one lube is fine for all your pieces. Dont get fixated on the frog spit is PROVEN BETTER than bat semen lube debates until you are ready.

Modern weapons require amazingly little care.

Oh, dont lube the firing pin channel..the lube attracts dirt and can cause the firing pin to malfunction.

If you are uncertain about lube or not lube, take a lightly lubed clean patch, wipe the area down and call it done. Lubes these days work at the molecular level, they are pretty durn amazing. A little lube does a lot.

If you use a heavy degreaser, such as carb cleaner, then you DO need to lube more heavily and in the cracks and crevices. But unless you are taking off Cosmoline, there is very little need for a heavy duty degreaser.

Take this time to enjoy the craftsmanship of the weapon and check for any unusual wear or rough spots. Beer or wine make the time more enjoyable..remember: your weapon is UNLOADED before you open a bottle.

Last edited by Pier23; 05-18-2013 at 10:21..
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:20   #4
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
My only bit of advice is not to over-clean. In my opinion over-cleaning has ruined more weapons over the years than shooting them has, especially, as noted above, since ammunition is so much cleaner shooting than it used to be (I grew up shooting cast lead reloads).
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 13:08   #5
Sgt127

Get a big bottle of Ballistol. It's a decent cleaner, a decent lube and, a decent rust protectant. It's not the best at any one job, but, it will do an admirable job of all three. The big upside is its no toxic. Germans have been using it for 100 years.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 13:54   #6
vettely

My coworkers and I have switched over to Frog Lube. Subsequent cleaning is much easier.
Old 05-18-2013, 15:52   #7
Bruce M

There are a few specific spots that are the only spots that Glock recommends be lubricated. I put some faith in their ability to determine the statistical benefits of lubricating a spot or not lubricating it.

The problem with lubricants seems to revolver around too much or too little, once in a while the completely wrong lubricant (i.e. too thick for winter use.) I have never seen or read about a problem in which application of a different proper lubricant would solve the issue that was caused by proper application of a proper lubricant.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:21   #8
collim1
Shower Time!

I like Shooters Choice, but Hoppes is good stuff also. I give the Edge to Shooters Choice because it removes copper and plastic buildup from shotshells better than the Hoppes.

I use CLP on my AR15 and its worked well for me. I lube my carry guns with a light film of CLP on the rails, locking lug/block, and around the barrel. Don't really need protection for the rails for carry, just light lube to ensure function. I lube my alloy Sigs and 1911 with Hoppes gun grease for extended range shooting. I think it stays in place better, doesn't cook off when the gun gets hot, and protects the alloy rails better. For the .22 and Glock a light coat of CLP should be fine.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote