GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 14:11   #1
Aceman
Senior Member
 
Aceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,673
The Great Southern SHTF Freeze of 2014

Let's discuss this a little.

My basic issues:

#1 Yes - it is ridiculous to believe that such a once in ~20 or so years event, that people would be prepared for. However, at that, anyone over 40 has been through one as an adult! And some proportion of the younger crowd, 20-40 have probably migrated from the North.

#2 Is it really that hard to simply say to yourself, "Hmmm, icy roads. Better not drive." Or to disseminate that info to the world to just chill out for a day or so. It's not like the ground is less than 50 degrees...

And did I hear Birmingham was calling FEMA?

We are all doomed....seriously people, get a grip.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 14:30   #2
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 29,691

Or is it

In all seriousness, if you live far enough south that you never need heat, then .....but I always assumed that I would keep a couple electric heaters around to keep my but warm if I moved south.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 16:58   #3
ratf51
Senior Member
 
ratf51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW GA
Posts: 1,025
I have lived my entire life in the state of GA. I have lived through ice storms, snows, and 21 years ago a blizzard. The problem this week, at least in the NW quadrant of the state from Atlanta up, was the rapidity with which the roads became icy. The normal progression has cold and precipitation coming in together. This means that the roads have some residual heat, the snow hits it and melts, it becomes slushy over time, and takes several hours for ice to really set up. This time we had been cold enough for long enough that there was no real residual heat in the roads. The snow came, the snow stayed, and as cars (and more cars) ran over the snow it quickly compacted into ice. It only took about an hour for the roads to begin to slick up. Then cars start to spin out of control, someone slams on their brakes, other cars try to stop, and all it takes is one or two vehicles to shut down a road.

The major weather forecasts kept telling us that we would get a "dusting" of snow. That dusting is 3 inches in my yard.

Now, the sad part-- my car went into the shop Monday afternoon (unexpected problem.) I did not get my emergency bag out and transfer it to my daughters car that I wound up driving on Tuesday. Fortunately, I did not get into a situation in which it was needed but I missed the peace of mind that it provides me.

Big lesson learned-- have a vessel in your car that you can pee into.

Big picture lesson-- mass panic and no plans results in what we have just seen.
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 19:53   #4
FireForged
Millenium #3936
 
FireForged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Rebel South
Posts: 4,649
I have lived in the south all my life... weather related problems are typically turned into a crisis due to the idiot factor. If roads are bad, you creep... but oh NO, not down here... when roads are bad, people simply do the same thing they normailly do- drive 90mph then act like a victim when a mishap occurs.
__________________
"I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 20:19   #5
quake
Senior Member
 
quake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 8,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
...anyone over 40 has been through one as an adult! And some proportion of the younger crowd, 20-40 have probably migrated from the North.

#2 Is it really that hard to simply say to yourself, "Hmmm, icy roads. Better not drive." Or to disseminate that info to the world to just chill out for a day or so. It's not like the ground is less than 50 degrees...

And did I hear Birmingham was calling FEMA?...
Shouldn't be too much to ask of alleged adults, but life for most Americans is frankly so undemanding that it's caused anything even slightly demanding to be outside the ability of those same people to plan for, deal with or recover from.
__________________
"The best a man can hope for is a chance to prove that the good lord didn't make a mistake putting him here in the first place." - Will Sonnett

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 20:50   #6
ratf51
Senior Member
 
ratf51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW GA
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Shouldn't be too much to ask of alleged adults, but life for most Americans is frankly so undemanding that it's caused anything even slightly demanding to be outside the ability of those same people to plan for, deal with or recover from.
Well put!
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:56   #7
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 30,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Let's discuss this a little.

My basic issues:

#1 Yes - it is ridiculous to believe that such a once in ~20 or so years event, that people would be prepared for. However, at that, anyone over 40 has been through one as an adult! And some proportion of the younger crowd, 20-40 have probably migrated from the North.

#2 Is it really that hard to simply say to yourself, "Hmmm, icy roads. Better not drive." Or to disseminate that info to the world to just chill out for a day or so. It's not like the ground is less than 50 degrees...

And did I hear Birmingham was calling FEMA?

We are all doomed....seriously people, get a grip.
It might be hard to say to yourself "It's okay, my boss will understand when I don't show up, even though everybody else will show up, and even if the weather doesn't end up being so bad after all".

Yes, the ground IS less than 50*. Why the hell do you think there was so much ice on the road? How do I still have snow accumulation, and ice, on my driveway, today, if the ground is 50*?

You clearly have no ****ing idea what you are talking about , so please, stop.

PS: I grew up by Lake Michigan. I am extremely familiar with snow, ice, cold, winter weather, etc.
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 01-31-2014 at 07:59..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:29   #8
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,951
Blog Entries: 1
Damn that global warming!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 19:42   #9
Micad
Senior Member
 
Micad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 935
I moved to Houston from VA. So I have some experience with winter weather. Houston gets an ice or snow event every few years. People do not listen, or pay attention. The news was predicting this last week for several days. I watched the news Friday morning, saw what was happening. I called my boss and told him I have my computer and cell phone, if you need something call. I worked from home. And watched while thee were 600 accidents in about 6 hours!
This week, again the news predicted that it would happen again. I watched from home again. It was amazing how fast things froze up.
I think it is amazing also that people were stuck in their cars for 12-24 hour on the highway over a little ice.
__________________
..."I find sometimes its easy to be myself
Sometimes, I find its better to be somebody else..."
Lone Star Glockers #8675309
"Ban children, its for the guns"
Micad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 21:44   #10
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member
 
actionshooter10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micad View Post
I moved to Houston from VA. So I have some experience with winter weather. Houston gets an ice or snow event every few years. People do not listen, or pay attention. The news was predicting this last week for several days. I watched the news Friday morning, saw what was happening. I called my boss and told him I have my computer and cell phone, if you need something call. I worked from home. And watched while thee were 600 accidents in about 6 hours!
This week, again the news predicted that it would happen again. I watched from home again. It was amazing how fast things froze up.
I think it is amazing also that people were stuck in their cars for 12-24 hour on the highway over a little ice.
Yep. Had my wife call in Tuesday. She wanted to go in, but I convinced her it wasn't worth it.
__________________
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 23:59   #11
Tom Kanik
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: S.W. Missouri
Posts: 555
A/S, I love your sig-line!!!
__________________
Private Klink
Tom Kanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23   #12
Aceman
Senior Member
 
Aceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post

You clearly have no ****ing idea what you are talking about , so please, stop.
PS - I grew up in Pennsylvania. And I have lived in the Panhandle where they get hit by a dipping jetstream (or "Polar Vortex") And have been Director over an HR unit.



SO yes, I DO know what I'm talking about.

If you are too dumb to wait and see if it safe to drive, you are too dumb to do the work you missed. And how do think the boss got to work?

Winter survival takes specialized skills. An icy road when you aren't equipped to deal takes common sense.

Last edited by Aceman; 02-01-2014 at 09:23..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:45   #13
engineer151515
_______________
 
engineer151515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 21,248


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Let's discuss this a little.

My basic issues:

#1 Yes - it is ridiculous to believe that such a once in ~20 or so years event, that people would be prepared for. However, at that, anyone over 40 has been through one as an adult! And some proportion of the younger crowd, 20-40 have probably migrated from the North.

#2 Is it really that hard to simply say to yourself, "Hmmm, icy roads. Better not drive." Or to disseminate that info to the world to just chill out for a day or so. It's not like the ground is less than 50 degrees...

And did I hear Birmingham was calling FEMA?

We are all doomed....seriously people, get a grip.
My daughter lives in Birmingham.

Perhaps, were you there instead of Tampa, your viewpoint might be a little different.

So,what is your estimated ground temperature when this photo was taken Tuesday afternoon around 1pm?

Survival/Preparedness Forum
engineer151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:52   #14
Aceman
Senior Member
 
Aceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,673
Listen - you guys can quibble about the details: The bottom line is that this was a MINOR issue, for a LIMITED TIME, that there was absolutely NO EXCUSE FOR:
a) All the drama
b) All the problems
c) All the excuses
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:26   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 29,691
delete
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Last edited by RWBlue; 02-01-2014 at 11:28..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:36   #16
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 28,970
Blog Entries: 1


I'm from Buffalo,we are usta this kinda thing.Use common sense ans It'll be ok.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 14:23   #17
Aceman
Senior Member
 
Aceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,673
I agree that common sense is a good thing. But as we see, common sense is only good for common events. This is very uncommon.

Still, was it really trhat bad.

I acknowledge from growing up in a time and place where that event happened Thanksgiving weekend half the time - and you put STUDDED snow tires on after Turkey day as a matter of habit...My perception is skewed. But dang...
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 15:00   #18
FireForged
Millenium #3936
 
FireForged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Rebel South
Posts: 4,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Listen - you guys can quibble about the details: The bottom line is that this was a MINOR issue, for a LIMITED TIME, that there was absolutely NO EXCUSE FOR:
a) All the drama
b) All the problems
c) All the excuses
I agree with this
__________________
"I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 16:52   #19
pugman
Senior Member
 
pugman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Listen - you guys can quibble about the details: The bottom line is that this was a MINOR issue, for a LIMITED TIME, that there was absolutely NO EXCUSE FOR:
a) All the drama
b) All the problems
c) All the excuses
+1

Granted I live in the hell I call Wisconsin but still.
__________________
Now when asked when I think things will change I answer "The next time Thomas (aka the fed) robs Peter (aka the 53%) to pay Paul (aka the 47%) and Peter pulls a gun...things will change"
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 18:04   #20
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 30,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
PS - I grew up in Pennsylvania. And I have lived in the Panhandle where they get hit by a dipping jetstream (or "Polar Vortex") And have been Director over an HR unit.



SO yes, I DO know what I'm talking about.

If you are too dumb to wait and see if it safe to drive, you are too dumb to do the work you missed. And how do think the boss got to work?

Winter survival takes specialized skills. An icy road when you aren't equipped to deal takes common sense.
You clearly do not know what you are talking about as you are wrong.



Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer151515 View Post
My daughter lives in Birmingham.

Perhaps, were you there instead of Tampa, your viewpoint might be a little different.

So,what is your estimated ground temperature when this photo was taken Tuesday afternoon around 1pm?

Survival/Preparedness Forum
Clearly that snow is fake.

Aceman is the be all end all of this and he knows for a fact that the ground was 50* or more and thus no snow would even stick.

LMAO I was like LMAO
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 02-01-2014 at 18:06..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:39.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,317
394 Members
923 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31