Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2014, 14:11   #1
Aceman

The Great Southern SHTF Freeze of 2014

Let's discuss this a little.

My basic issues:

#1 Yes - it is ridiculous to believe that such a once in ~20 or so years event, that people would be prepared for. However, at that, anyone over 40 has been through one as an adult! And some proportion of the younger crowd, 20-40 have probably migrated from the North.

#2 Is it really that hard to simply say to yourself, "Hmmm, icy roads. Better not drive." Or to disseminate that info to the world to just chill out for a day or so. It's not like the ground is less than 50 degrees...

And did I hear Birmingham was calling FEMA?

We are all doomed....seriously people, get a grip.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 14:30   #2
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Or is it

In all seriousness, if you live far enough south that you never need heat, then .....but I always assumed that I would keep a couple electric heaters around to keep my but warm if I moved south.
Old 01-30-2014, 16:58   #3
ratf51

I have lived my entire life in the state of GA. I have lived through ice storms, snows, and 21 years ago a blizzard. The problem this week, at least in the NW quadrant of the state from Atlanta up, was the rapidity with which the roads became icy. The normal progression has cold and precipitation coming in together. This means that the roads have some residual heat, the snow hits it and melts, it becomes slushy over time, and takes several hours for ice to really set up. This time we had been cold enough for long enough that there was no real residual heat in the roads. The snow came, the snow stayed, and as cars (and more cars) ran over the snow it quickly compacted into ice. It only took about an hour for the roads to begin to slick up. Then cars start to spin out of control, someone slams on their brakes, other cars try to stop, and all it takes is one or two vehicles to shut down a road.

The major weather forecasts kept telling us that we would get a "dusting" of snow. That dusting is 3 inches in my yard.

Now, the sad part-- my car went into the shop Monday afternoon (unexpected problem.) I did not get my emergency bag out and transfer it to my daughters car that I wound up driving on Tuesday. Fortunately, I did not get into a situation in which it was needed but I missed the peace of mind that it provides me.

Big lesson learned-- have a vessel in your car that you can pee into.

Big picture lesson-- mass panic and no plans results in what we have just seen.
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 19:53   #4
FireForged
Millenium #3936

I have lived in the south all my life... weather related problems are typically turned into a crisis due to the idiot factor. If roads are bad, you creep... but oh NO, not down here... when roads are bad, people simply do the same thing they normailly do- drive 90mph then act like a victim when a mishap occurs.
Old 01-30-2014, 20:19   #5
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
...anyone over 40 has been through one as an adult! And some proportion of the younger crowd, 20-40 have probably migrated from the North.

#2 Is it really that hard to simply say to yourself, "Hmmm, icy roads. Better not drive." Or to disseminate that info to the world to just chill out for a day or so. It's not like the ground is less than 50 degrees...

And did I hear Birmingham was calling FEMA?...
Shouldn't be too much to ask of alleged adults, but life for most Americans is frankly so undemanding that it's caused anything even slightly demanding to be outside the ability of those same people to plan for, deal with or recover from.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 20:50   #6
ratf51

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Shouldn't be too much to ask of alleged adults, but life for most Americans is frankly so undemanding that it's caused anything even slightly demanding to be outside the ability of those same people to plan for, deal with or recover from.
Well put!
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:56   #7
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:

My basic issues:

#1 Yes - it is ridiculous to believe that such a once in ~20 or so years event, that people would be prepared for. However, at that, anyone over 40 has been through one as an adult! And some proportion of the younger crowd, 20-40 have probably migrated from the North.

It might be hard to say to yourself "It's okay, my boss will understand when I don't show up, even though everybody else will show up, and even if the weather doesn't end up being so bad after all".

Yes, the ground IS less than 50*. Why the hell do you think there was so much ice on the road? How do I still have snow accumulation, and ice, on my driveway, today, if the ground is 50*?

You clearly have no ****ing idea what you are talking about , so please, stop.

PS: I grew up by Lake Michigan. I am extremely familiar with snow, ice, cold, winter weather, etc.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 01-31-2014 at 07:59..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:29   #8
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Damn that global warming!
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 19:42   #9
Micad

I moved to Houston from VA. So I have some experience with winter weather. Houston gets an ice or snow event every few years. People do not listen, or pay attention. The news was predicting this last week for several days. I watched the news Friday morning, saw what was happening. I called my boss and told him I have my computer and cell phone, if you need something call. I worked from home. And watched while thee were 600 accidents in about 6 hours!
This week, again the news predicted that it would happen again. I watched from home again. It was amazing how fast things froze up.
I think it is amazing also that people were stuck in their cars for 12-24 hour on the highway over a little ice.
Lone Star Glockers #8675309
"Ban children, its for the guns"
Micad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 21:44   #10
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micad View Post
I moved to Houston from VA. So I have some experience with winter weather. Houston gets an ice or snow event every few years. People do not listen, or pay attention. The news was predicting this last week for several days. I watched the news Friday morning, saw what was happening. I called my boss and told him I have my computer and cell phone, if you need something call. I worked from home. And watched while thee were 600 accidents in about 6 hours!
This week, again the news predicted that it would happen again. I watched from home again. It was amazing how fast things froze up.
I think it is amazing also that people were stuck in their cars for 12-24 hour on the highway over a little ice.
Yep. Had my wife call in Tuesday. She wanted to go in, but I convinced her it wasn't worth it.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 23:59   #11
Tom Kanik

A/S, I love your sig-line!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23   #12
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post

You clearly have no ****ing idea what you are talking about , so please, stop.
PS - I grew up in Pennsylvania. And I have lived in the Panhandle where they get hit by a dipping jetstream (or "Polar Vortex") And have been Director over an HR unit.

SO yes, I DO know what I'm talking about.

If you are too dumb to wait and see if it safe to drive, you are too dumb to do the work you missed. And how do think the boss got to work?

Winter survival takes specialized skills. An icy road when you aren't equipped to deal takes common sense.

Last edited by Aceman; 02-01-2014 at 09:23..
Old 02-01-2014, 09:45   #13
engineer151515

Quote:

My basic issues:

My daughter lives in Birmingham.

Perhaps, were you there instead of Tampa, your viewpoint might be a little different.

So,what is your estimated ground temperature when this photo was taken Tuesday afternoon around 1pm?

Survival/Preparedness Forum
engineer151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:52   #14
Aceman

Listen - you guys can quibble about the details: The bottom line is that this was a MINOR issue, for a LIMITED TIME, that there was absolutely NO EXCUSE FOR:
a) All the drama
b) All the problems
c) All the excuses
Old 02-01-2014, 11:26   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

delete

Last edited by RWBlue; 02-01-2014 at 11:28..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:36   #16
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

I'm from Buffalo,we are usta this kinda thing.Use common sense ans It'll be ok.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 14:23   #17
Aceman

I agree that common sense is a good thing. But as we see, common sense is only good for common events. This is very uncommon.

Still, was it really trhat bad.

I acknowledge from growing up in a time and place where that event happened Thanksgiving weekend half the time - and you put STUDDED snow tires on after Turkey day as a matter of habit...My perception is skewed. But dang...
Old 02-01-2014, 15:00   #18
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Listen - you guys can quibble about the details: The bottom line is that this was a MINOR issue, for a LIMITED TIME, that there was absolutely NO EXCUSE FOR:
a) All the drama
b) All the problems
c) All the excuses
I agree with this
Old 02-01-2014, 16:52   #19
pugman

Quote:
a) All the drama
b) All the problems
c) All the excuses
+1

Granted I live in the hell I call Wisconsin but still.
Old 02-01-2014, 18:04   #20
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
PS - I grew up in Pennsylvania. And I have lived in the Panhandle where they get hit by a dipping jetstream (or "Polar Vortex") And have been Director over an HR unit.

SO yes, I DO know what I'm talking about.

If you are too dumb to wait and see if it safe to drive, you are too dumb to do the work you missed. And how do think the boss got to work?

Winter survival takes specialized skills. An icy road when you aren't equipped to deal takes common sense.
You clearly do not know what you are talking about as you are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer151515 View Post
My daughter lives in Birmingham.

Perhaps, were you there instead of Tampa, your viewpoint might be a little different.

So,what is your estimated ground temperature when this photo was taken Tuesday afternoon around 1pm?

Survival/Preparedness Forum
Clearly that snow is fake.

Aceman is the be all end all of this and he knows for a fact that the ground was 50* or more and thus no snow would even stick.

LMAO I was like LMAO

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 02-01-2014 at 18:06..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote