Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:27   #1
sling shot 47

Sider Lock Trigger Safety

I'm used to shooting rifles and shot guns with the push button safety near the rear of the trigger guard. Being new to Glocks and relatively new to hand guns. How do you feel about the Sider Lock trigger safety being used for conceal carry.I recently purchased a Glock 19 Gen 4 which I really like.
sling shot 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:34   #2
oily_oink
###########

This subject has been talked about plenty. Use the search function & you'll see. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:36   #3
tnstaafl

When I was new to Glocks, I tried a Siderlock on a G36 I had - it was installed by an experienced gunsmith that focuses on Glocks - the safety failed during a GSSF match - IIRC, the pin came out and the trigger mechanism came apart. Not saying that the fault was with the gunsmith or the device, just that it failed on my gun.

Between the time the safety was installed and the GSSF match I put maybe a couple of hundred rounds through the gun.

That's my experience - yours may be different - after completing the Glock Armorer's Course, I now prefer to keep all of my Glocks standard - with the exception of a .25 cent trigger job and replacing the ribbed trigger with a smooth trigger (G17 trigger substituted for a G19 trigger, for example).
tnstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:54   #4
nraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sling shot 47 View Post
I'm used to shooting rifles and shot guns with the push button safety near the rear of the trigger guard. Being new to Glocks and relatively new to hand guns. How do you feel about the Sider Lock trigger safety being used for conceal carry.I recently purchased a Glock 19 Gen 4 which I really like.
I installed one for a while due to workplace restrictions, it was a failure, the pin walks out from shooting.
Can't have that in a SD gun.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:26   #5
tnstaafl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nraman View Post
the pin walks out from shooting.
Can't have that in a SD gun.
THAT'S exactly what happened to mine.
Old 05-19-2013, 13:01   #6
sling shot 47

Thanks for the feedback on the Siderlock trigger safety.I had a feeling that it might be a bad idea for a conceal carry gun.
Old 05-19-2013, 13:08   #7
sciolist

I like Glock's safety system as it is - both for sport and carry. It does have liabilities, though. Not everyone is comfortable without a positive external safety device.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 13:18   #8
sling shot 47

Is that .25 cent trigger job the one that's on you tube.polishing the three different parts.And is this something that I could do not having any experience in taking the gun apart.
Old 05-19-2013, 13:27   #9
GlocksterJeff
Glock Armorer

In the late 1970's Gaston Glock took the primary gun safety rule: "Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot!" and integrated it into his new pistol design. The multiple internal, automatic, safety systems of the Glock pistol prevent an accidental discharge while the gun is in a holster, while being dropped (in any position, including muzzle straight down) onto concrete, or while pointed at a criminal suspect. No safety, manual or otherwise, can prevent a negligent discharge by a nitwit with his finger riding on the trigger who then pulls the trigger.
GlocksterJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 13:38   #10
GlocksterJeff
Glock Armorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sling shot 47 View Post
Is that .25 cent trigger job the one that's on you tube.polishing the three different parts.And is this something that I could do not having any experience in taking the gun apart.
Frankly, I would have to say, if you have never taken your Glock apart even for a deep cleaning, then doing a .25 cent trigger job is probably not for you? Glocks are easy to take apart (and fairly easy to put back together) - if you have mechanical aptitude. As an armorer, I have corrected many problems caused by poor polishing technique, or damage caused by incorrect disassembly/reassembly. Polishing trigger parts is NOT as easy as YouTube makes it out to be.

I have professionally polished trigger parts available if you're interested.
GlocksterJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 13:41   #11
tnstaafl

Yeah, that's the one - be careful and remember that the trigger job calls for POLISHING certain surfaces, not modifying any angles or adjusting anything.

Could you do it? I did it, and that was before I took the Armorer's Course!

Visually and physically check that's it's unloaded - put the gun down where no one can get to it - take a break - then verify again that it's empty - THEN try the trigger job.