Old 05-18-2013, 12:59   #41
FerFAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
Glad your back around FF.Respects.'08.
Thanks kirgi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
"You aren't going to walk out with your bug out bag with your family and come back alive. Think Lewis and Clark. Without the Indian Nations, they would be dead. What makes you think you can do better?"

For most people, the thinking is ...

1. if Rambo can do it in the movies, I can too;
2. if I served in Vietnam or Iraq 10 years ago and am out of shape, I can get back into shape within 2 days when shtf;
3. if a few people did it in history, I will be able to do the same.

There is a mountain range running down the center of the City of Los Angeles. The base on the north side is an east west street named VEntura Boulevard. The base on the south side is Sunset Boulevard. The distance is about 10 miles. There are no restaurants, fast food stands, gasoline stations, strip malls, rest stops, drinking fountains between the two streets in the mountains.

If you are not permitted in the scenario to walk on the three streets and the freeway connecting the two and you posit that there is no brush fire, then the question is how many people age 1 to 95 can be dumped out on Sunset Boulevard and make it on their own (heck you can even assume a three day pack) and make it to Ventura Boulevard.

The answer is probably that out of 100 who try, the survivors can be counted on two hands or fewer. Oh, yeah, and I will let you assume that when they arrive at Ventura Blvd, they can go to the nearest restaurant.

Sure, I saw a camel caravan in Turkey on the Mediterranean Coast, caravans in Afghanistan in the 1970s and probably one of the last ones in remote Western China. Those people lived the life, had the skills, knew where the water might be, had the food sources in mind.

The person who posted that you provide for emergency, temporary survival in the US and then a foothold elsewhere like in a foreign country has more insight than the guy who thinks his bugout with an unskilled spouse and minor children is going to last more than a couple of days.
We see that a lot, dont we? Evacuating on foot is pretty demanding, let alone doing that with family, meaning kids, old and (what is it, like 1/3 of the population?) terribly out of shape.
You sometimes see these huge packs full of stuff, more like hiking backapacks than a real BOB with the basics. Walking is slow enough as it is.
This takes us back to how good our cardio is. As bad as it would be, maybe you have no other choice but walking, so your cardio needs to be good. If you add to that that good cardio fitness is key to surviving most medical complications, the most common causes of death linked to overweight and sedentary lifestyle, then it becomes even more of a priority.
FerFAL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FerFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 13:55   #42
Stupid

The way I see it, if you have to walk, you are basically done. Besides the goodies in your bag, think about things that could happen on the road.

1. How do you manage security? You could ran into a group of robbers. Even 1-2 would be hard to handle unless you shoot everybody on sight.
2. How do you manage injury or sickness? Even just the basic wear and tear would put you out.
3. What terrain you plan to cross? Regular highways or snowy mountains?
4. What about the weather? You can't expect 70 degree with sunshine all the way, can you? One rain would destroy probably 90% of your goodies in your BOB.

Last edited by Stupid; 05-18-2013 at 14:15..
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 15:35   #43
Booker

I went through a 48 hour bugout last year, due to a Meth Lab in the neighboorhood! Pouring dangerous chemicals down the toilet is bad, okay!

It was an event I had not thought about and did not plan for!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 19:47   #44
TexanRon
Come 'n Take It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita View Post
Overturned rail tanker and the chlorine cloud is headed my way.
Shortly after we moved to Houston, a tanker truck full of ammonia went off the freeway overpass and crashed down on the freeway below. This was at the busiest interchange in the state, and soon a giant cloud of ammonia engulfed everything. People unknowingly drove right into it and died. I was not there at the time, but am always wary when I see clouds of stuff in the air around here.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:50   #45
BobPistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Waking up and finding out I live in NY, CA, or IL...

Three extremely good reasons to bug out right there.
Oh no! Time for me to bug out
BobPistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:18   #46
bdcochran

What is the difference between Tampa and Los Angeles?

For Aceman -

The population of Tampa, Fl. where you live is 340,000. It is surrounded on three sides by water. The road out is Route 4.

Los Angeles is a few million bordered on one side by mountains, on another side by the full deserts, on the third side by the ocean and lacks multiple roads going in the 4th direction.

What is the difference:
Choices:
1. you may actually know some of your neighbors when you bug out in mass with the whole town of Tampa;
2. you have fewer languages spoken in Tampa, Fl.
3. the body count on all the people is less on the road when leaving Tampa.
4. Tampa has alligators to eat you and Los Angeles has rattle snakes.
5. all of the above.

Humans have to eat, drink, go to the bathroom and rest to survive. Heck, if you have yourself convinced that a person can live off the land, ok, go with it. The population density in Tampa Fl ranges from 346 people to over 5,000 a square mile. The dudes from the area of 5,000 to the square mile will come your way. At the same time, the Glockers who have vowed to set up rural roadblocks and send you (or me) back to town will be trying to persuade.

The population density behind 29 Palms was probably about 2-3 people to the square mile 150 years ago. Now you have a population density of over 450 to the square mile. The Marines are armed to the teeth near by. When shtf, it is the same thing, not many people will survive.

Heck, I get up this am and I have programmed 1 hour to go the 6 miles to UCLA. Yeah, you wake up and fret about surviving. The difference in my mind is that I know that you and I will both walk at about 2 miles an hour (at night only) when shtf and the roads are blocked and movement is subject to martial law (and trigger happy policemen).
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:22   #47
Daltini

you like to feel cool :D
Daltini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:15   #48
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 14:27   #49
Tom Kanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Waking up and finding out I live in NY, CA, or IL...

Three extremely good reasons to bug out right there.
Right on Brother!!! That's why we bugged out from Illinois 21 years ago! We love S/W Missouri!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:38   #50
thesurefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
All of these examples can be taken care with $5000 cash on hand, no?
Not even close. Money can't buy things that arnt on store shelves. Similarly, there isn't a price you can pay for a hotel room when none of them are vacant, and you can't rent a car to drive away if the car rental place has already closed.

The issue with many bug out situations is you don't see them coming. Fires, riots, earthquakes, chem spills, civil unrest, food shortages (look at what happened with ammo in 2012, think of if that had been food), extreme weather, etc. All of these things can come out of nowhere and force your hand.

Last year the Colorado fires forced many to bug out, only to find they had no place to go because all the hotels within 200 miles were booked solid.

Last edited by thesurefire; 06-02-2013 at 08:44..
thesurefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:01   #51
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:06   #52
Tx-SIG229

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanRon View Post
Shortly after we moved to Houston, a tanker truck full of ammonia went off the freeway overpass and crashed down on the freeway below. This was at the busiest interchange in the state, and soon a giant cloud of ammonia engulfed everything. People unknowingly drove right into it and died. I was not there at the time, but am always wary when I see clouds of stuff in the air around here.
when the rain in coming down in buckets, in your town, even driving on the highways is very dangerous - for one thing, you can't see the lightly painted lane dividers.

as for my town, we're surrounded by oil refineries and chemical plants. there are two chemical plants behind the building I work at. having one blow up has been a concern. one of them recently had a fire in which several workers were injured and I think 2 died.

other things to ponder... we're in a hurricane and flooding prone area, lots of poverty in my town, too, so the possibility of social break down (rioting, looting etc) is of concern as well. one thing that has always bothered me was our close proximity to Houston and the LA border. EMP or a nuke attack would be a ***** in that case we also have a lot of rail road tracks crisscrossing the town. hate to have one of the trains derail since its probably hauling chemicals