Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:00   #1
Deputydave

Ideas for a new survival show

I enjoy Survivorman, Dual Survival (S1 & S2 more than S3) and Man, Woman Wild. And too be honest, even though I don't agree with a lot of what he does, I enjoy Man vs. Wild as well (the scenery is awesome, he does offer some sound advice here and there when he's not jumping and running all over the place and well...just to watch him eat something a billygoat would take a pass on).

With that said, I thought it would be an interesting concept to have a show where they do a sort of 'round robin'. For example, have a series of one-hour shows that involves the same scenario i.e. lost in the woods, car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, plane goes down in the jungle or whatever. Then have the 'expert' tackle the situation as they would in real life. One week Cody Lundin takes on the scenario using his approach/skill set/a few chosen tools. The next week Les Stroud takes on the same scenario but does it his way. And so forth with Mike Hawke, Dave Canterbury, Joe Teti and Bear Grylls (and any other expert willing to participate). In this way we could see competing methods as well as what they would do the same. How they would tackle (or avoid certain obstacle or challenges. Who stays put? Who moves? Who successfully gets fire and how? What kind of shelter do they build? Method of self-rescue or signalling for rescue.

Now I'm using some of the 'names' as an example, but the show could work with any number of individuals (known or unknown). I think it would be interesting to watch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:33   #2
wingryder

I would like to see some sort do Paleo skills show. They could drop off a few people in some remote wilderness with abundant wildlife & vegetation, They could demonstrate building long-term shelter, tool making, hunting strategies, etc... Or perhaps let them have the basic "C's" (cutting tools, cordage, containers, cover, and combustion equipment), and go from there.

OR

Instead of those whacky prepped shows, I'd like to see someone with real skills actually do a long-term Bugout, with all their gear and demonstrate survival being properly equipped.

I would be interested in seeing more about properly prepped survival strategies.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
wingryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:54   #3
deadmanglocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
I would like to see some sort do Paleo skills show. They could drop off a few people in some remote wilderness with abundant wildlife & vegetation, They could demonstrate building long-term shelter, tool making, hunting strategies, etc... Or perhaps let them have the basic "C's" (cutting tools, cordage, containers, cover, and combustion equipment), and go from there.

OR

Instead of those whacky prepped shows, I'd like to see someone with real skills actually do a long-term Bugout, with all their gear and demonstrate survival being properly equipped.

I would be interested in seeing more about properly prepped survival strategies.
Didn't that show about the group in Alaska follow those basic rules? Very basic gear and rewards in the way of food/equipment for finding waypoints? I forgot its name.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
deadmanglocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 13:09   #4
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmanglocking View Post
Didn't that show about the group in Alaska follow those basic rules? Very basic gear and rewards in the way of food/equipment for finding waypoints? I forgot its name.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Into the Wild: Alaska

Old 06-01-2013, 01:08   #5
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
there was a short series about some naked british guy on an island for 60-90 days solo with nothing to star with. it was interesting.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:40   #6
Aceman

The thing is, they would probably do about 90% the same.

exceptions would be:

Cody would do it barefoot
Stroud would just stay
Grylls would do it with a British accent
etc...

Last edited by Aceman; 06-01-2013 at 05:41..
Aceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:45   #7
pugman

The idea is fine - but lets face it; the survival show genre (much like zombies and vampires) has run its course. And this is coming from a guy who carries a zombie hunter card in his wallet for kicks.

I would just like them to bring Jericho back...

Last edited by pugman; 06-01-2013 at 05:45..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:52   #8
packeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
The idea is fine - but lets face it; the survival show genre (much like zombies and vampires) has run its course. And this is coming from a guy who carries a zombie hunter card in his wallet for kicks.

+1 There was rumor of NetFlix picking up Jericho. Alas, it has yet to happen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
packeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:17   #9
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
+1 There was rumor of NetFlix picking up Jericho. Alas, it has yet to happen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
They did for Arrested Development - I think this move (picking up cult following well made programs) is genius for Netflix.

And if you never watched AD I highly recommend it. I'm not a big TV watcher - but that show was funny as hell

Last edited by pugman; 06-01-2013 at 06:18..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:01   #10
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
This
Aceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:13   #11
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I would like to see some straight training.

I know they will not put people in real danger, so don't make it false.
I know they have setup what they will find, so don't make it false.

Start with surviving the normal SHTFs in our life and go from there.
Old 06-01-2013, 20:58   #12
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
The thing is, they would probably do about 90% the same.

exceptions would be:

Cody would do it barefoot
Stroud would just stay
Grylls would do it with a British accent
etc...
They would no doubt do many things similar. But their methods may differ dramatically.

If they were limited to say 5 items to bring (as an example and just picking a number) it would be interesting to see what their top 5 items were. Dave C of course would stick to his 5C's which is a very good idea. But the contents of his 5C's may differ from Cody or Mykal or Les or Bear. Bear seems to be pretty good with a ferro rod and a knife. Same with Dave C. Someone may prefer a mag bar. And knives would certainly differ. So would shelters.

It would be interesting to see the differences in knives and their explanation of why they chose a particular knife. We don't always get a really good look at their knives except for Cody and his Mora. Would be interesting for their choice(s) for fire starting (other than lighter).

I think the survival genre could really just be hitting its prime particularly as more people get into the prep/survival mind set. We just need more interesting content and less drama. People (most) that watch Cody and Joe are probably more interested in how/why/where/when they do stuff than them having a pissing contest. I know there will be differences of opinion/experience/technique but drama added just for dramas sake is a waste of film time.

That is why I'd like a scenario based situation that they each tackle by themselves to see the what/how/when/why etc.

Or...

Perhaps have an expert and a novice side-by-side and go through the expert teaching the novice in a scenario. This concept worked well with the Hawkes as he taught her and it was probably the best of all the shows for actual teaching content. He took time to show 'something' and she actually did as well since she researched the areas ahead of time. Their was a lot of teaching content in the MWW format.

Old 06-01-2013, 21:58   #13
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
Perhaps have an expert and a novice side-by-side and go through the expert teaching the novice in a scenario. This concept worked well with the Hawkes as he taught her and it was probably the best of all the shows for actual teaching content. He took time to show 'something' and she actually did as well since she researched the areas ahead of time. Their was a lot of teaching content in the MWW format.
Yep, that is the program I would like.

I would even go a step further on the novice. Pick a new viewer ever time to be the novice. Some would be very good and some would be less skilled.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:10   #14
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
This
You would think network television would learn a thing or two from cable.

You don't need 26 or more show seasons. Put together a well written show and a season can be 13 shows. Dexter is on season 8 and it doesn't seem to have a problem keeping an audience?

Look at cult favorites like Serenity, Jericho, etc. You give them one (or in Serenity's case not even one) production season and you cancel them. There are still on going jokes on multiple sitcoms about these types of shows getting canceled.

Yet stuff like According to Jim gets 8 seasons and the never ending conveyor belt of crap dramas based in a police station, hospital, and law firm keep rolling on.