GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-18-2013, 00:29   #76
jp3975

Hard for me to fathom that some of you think YOUR religion ought to be the basis of laws in America.

I can respect you not believing its right....even thinking its vile based on your religion. But you shouldnt think that you should be able to control what they do because of your beliefs. Everyone doesnt believe as you do.

Some of you are almost as bad as the Sharia types.

Last edited by jp3975; 05-18-2013 at 00:34..
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:37   #77
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3975 View Post
Hard for me to fathom that some of you think YOUR religion ought to be the basis of laws in America...

So what is the Law based upon in principle, oh wise one?
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:04   #78
jp3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Laws should be secular in nature. Void of bias in favor of a religion.

If you want it otherwise, then you're not going to like what happens when the Muslim population goes up and they start getting laws passed.

Several laws are based on the ten commandments...but thats just common sense. Dont steal, murder etc. No one needs the Bible to know those things are wrong and its illegal in most every society.

You dont have to be wise to know that other people should be free to live their lives the way they see fit so long as they arent hurting anyone..
Old 05-18-2013, 04:09   #79
jp3975

You just keep proving my point.

"Why shouldnt gays be allowed to marry?"

Answer:

"*I* think its wrong because its gross and the deity I worship says it isnt cool...so other people who dont believe the way I do should be forced to do things the way I see fit."
Old 05-18-2013, 04:14   #80
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Why not just make laws up using logic? Are traffic laws based upon religion? Is thou shall not run red lights in the bible? Does god talk a lot wearing seat belts and using turn signals?

Some how we figured those out. You don't think we can figure out that murder is wrong unless it;s written down somewhere?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:46   #81
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Lots of religions figure christians are going to hell for worshiping the human jesus in addition to the god of abraham, god very clearly said to worship no one else. Should christianity be made illegal to save everybody from hell?
Or maybe people should be left alone as long as they are not hurting others, even if they are christian, or gay or whatever.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 23:09   #82
TruthNotRelative

Quote:
Whoever said its not a contract? That's all it is.

Its a document that ties two people together, giving them certain rights over non married couples and financial ties/responsibilities, and a few other legal rights.

Forget about "why should the govt be involved" for a sec.

How about "why shouldnt gays be allowed the same rights as a straight couple? "

No one can come up with a reason that isnt motivated by religion or because THEY dont like it. There is no logic in the nay sayers opinion. They're just like gun grabbing liberals. Trying to force their views on others.

Worse though, because they are trying to stop two people from doing something that affects no one but the two people.

As for your question on why the govt should be involved...I dont think it matters much. They are involved and thats not going to change. There is no movement for it to change.
It's very frustrating when someone makes the claim that "No one can come up with a reason that isnt motivated by religion or because THEY dont like it. There is no logic in the nay sayers opinion. They're just like gun grabbing liberals."

Quite the contrary. There are very sound, reasonable arguments against same sex marriage, that are not necessarily motivated by religion, and certainly are not motivated by the "ick factor" (i.e. they "simply don't personally like it") or a desire to "take the rights away" from people who are "different from them". Nor are they motivated by a dislike or "hate" of homosexuals themselves.

One great example is "Same Sex Marriage Challenges and Responses" (of which there is not any mention of, or appeal to "religion") by Gregory koukl. There is also an article written by a openly homosexual gentleman by the name of John McKellar, who heads an organization called H.O.P.E., an acronym that stands for Homosexuals Opposed to Pride Extremism entitled "The Irony of Same Sex Marriage". McKellar recognizes (like Koukl, and many others) that marriage has a natural teleology.. it isn't simpy "whatever we want to make it".

As far as "gays" having the same rights as heterosexuals, they have the exact same rights that I, a heterosexual male have. I have the right to marry any available person of the opposite sex of my choosing. I don't have any special rights. I am denied the "right" to marry someone of the same sex, just as homosexuals are.. there are sound reasons for this.

Homosexual couples, are not the "same as" heterosexual couples. They are fundamentally different. This is why societies throughout history have always had an interest in protecting those unions. Because they naturally bring about the next generation. Homosexual (and lesbian) unions cannot produce offspring.

As far as "trying to force their views on others". Isn't that exactly what you are doing? It's the view that you have a problem with.. let's not make believe that your "opposition" are the only ones in the business of "forcing their views".

I probably know/have known more homosexuals personally than you may ever know. I grew up with an openly homosexual brother. I have had many friends etc. who are homosexual. We still have homosexual friends to this day. One in particular that we are especially close to. So my views on this subject are not motivated by any kind of supposed "hate", "homophobia", or "ignorance" regarding homosexuals.
"You forgot your BRIEFCASE!!!!!!"-

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 05-19-2013 at 23:44..
TruthNotRelative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 23:17   #83
TruthNotRelative

The Irony of Same Sex Marriage (written by a homosexual).
http://www.truegate.org/news/view_sh...ws.php?id=4278

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 05-19-2013 at 23:18..
Old 05-20-2013, 00:52   #84
HollowHead
Firm member

Good for Minnesota. Nothing scares the crap out of "freedom lovers and defenders of liberty" more than the freedom and liberty of others. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:14   #85
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Good for Minnesota. Nothing scares the crap out of "freedom lovers and defenders of liberty" more than the freedom and liberty of others. HH
I agree.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:42   #86
CoffinCheater
Watchman

Everyone has the freedom of choice. That's why God created Heaven & Hell. Choose wisely.

CoffinCheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:30   #87
Lampshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthNotRelative View Post
Quite the contrary. There are very sound, reasonable arguments against same sex marriage...
LOL!

Quote:
McKellar recognizes (like Koukl, and many others) that marriage has a natural teleology.. it isn't simpy "whatever we want to make it".
Marriage law is whatever we want to make it, actually.

Sorry to interject reality here.

Quote:
As far as "gays" having the same rights as heterosexuals, they have the exact same rights that I, a heterosexual male have. I have the right to marry any available person of the opposite sex of my choosing.
So I guess interracial marriage bans are cool with you then. After all, any white person can marry any other white person. Any black person can marry any other black person. Everybody has the same righs!

Quote:
Homosexual couples, are not the "same as" heterosexual couples. They are fundamentally different. This is why societies throughout history have always had an interest in protecting those unions. Because they naturally bring about the next generation. Homosexual (and lesbian) unions cannot produce offspring.
Don't worry, straight people will continue to produce offspring even when gays get married

Last edited by Lampshade; 05-20-2013 at 07:31..
Lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:46   #88
TruthNotRelative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
LOL!

Marriage law is whatever we want to make it, actually.

Sorry to interject reality here.
Then marriage is "nothing in particular" (according to you). It's simply a social construct that we can shape and mold as we please, according to our whims and the changing times. Obviously, that is not the case. Marriage is something in particular, and sex is fundamental to marriage (for what should be obvious reasons). Males+males do not produce offspring. Males+females produce offspring. This is why society has an interest in promoting and protecting opposite sex unions, and always has.

Quote:
So I guess interracial marriage bans are cool with you then. After all, any white person can marry any other white person. Any black person can marry any other black person. Everybody has the same righs!
"The obscene contention made by most activists that constructive and rational opposition to sexual conduct is tantamount to anti-semitism or other forms of racism, is not only intellectually dishonest, but insultingly disrespectful to Blacks, Jews and other minorities. Discrimination against skin colour, ethnicity or religion is not wholly comparable to the complicated resistance of virtually all societies in history to open homosexuality, which involves thorny questions of morality and psychology. There has never been a gay leader remotely near the stature of Martin Luther King or Ghandi, both of whom drew upon the profound spiritual traditions of religion, to which gay political rhetoric has always been childishly hostile. Remember, it was the influence of the Quakers in 18th century Britian and the flamboyent, thunderous activism of Evangelicals in 19th century America that powered the abolitionist movement and led to the end of slavery."-John McKellar (A homosexual)
--------------------------------------------------
They said the same thing about interracial marriage.

"This challenge has great rhetorical force, but it is a silly objection.

Consider two men, one rich and one poor, seeking to withdraw money from their bank. The rich man is denied because his account is empty. However, on closer inspection, a clerk discovers an error, corrects it, and releases the cash. Next in line, the poor man is denied for the same reason: insufficient funds. "That’s the same thing you said about the last guy," he snaps. "Yes," the clerk replies. "We made a mistake with his account, but not with yours. You’re broke."

In the same way, it simply is not relevant that the same objection has been used to deny both interracial and homosexual marriage. It’s only relevant if the circumstances are the same, regardless of the objection. They are not.

Same-sex marriage and interracial marriage have nothing in common. There is no difference between a black and a white human being because skin color is morally trivial. There is an enormous difference, however, between a man and a woman. Ethnicity has no bearing on marriage. Sex is fundamental to marriage.

This approach won’t work to justify polygamous or incestuous unions ("In the past people wouldn’t allow interracial marriages, either."). It is equally ineffectual here. The objection may be the same, but the circumstances are entirely different."-Greg Koukl

Quote:
Don't worry, straight people will continue to produce offspring even when gays get married
I'm not telling you that you can't eat an ashtray. I'm just telling you that just because you can eat it, that doesn't make it food. In the same way, same sex unions do not qualify as marriage, because they lack a fundamental
ingredient/function. That is, the ability to reproduce. Sex is fundamental to marriage.

I did not say that homosexuals do not qualify as people, I said that same sex unions do not qualify as marriage. This is not about homosexuals. This is about what marriage is, and is not.

And it is not a civil rights issue, because same sex couples are not being denied any "rights", heterosexuals are also denied the "right" to marry someone of the same sex. We are on equal ground. This is because (as previously stated) marriage is something in particular. It is not a clay object that we simply mold and reshape as we please, whenever we please. It has a natural teleology. I didn't make marriage up, neither did you. It is what it is. "Same sex marriage" is simply an attempt at social engineering, geared toward including any and all, despite the fact that marriage, by nature, isn't "all inclusive".

Last edited by TruthNotRelative; 05-20-2013 at 10:51..
Old 05-20-2013, 11:28   #89
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Then marriage is "nothing in particular" (according to you). It's simply a social construct that we can shape and mold as we please, according to our whims and the changing times. Obviously, that is not the case. Marriage is something in particular, and sex is fundamental to marriage (for what should be obvious reasons). Males+males do not produce offspring. Males+females produce offspring. This is why society has an interest in promoting and protecting opposite sex unions, and always has.

"The obscene contention made by most activists that constructive and rational opposition to sexual conduct is tantamount to anti-semitism or other forms of racism, is not only intellectually dishonest, but insultingly disrespectful to Blacks, Jews and other minorities. Discrimination against skin colour, ethnicity or religion is not wholly comparable to the complicated resistance of virtually all societies in history to open homosexuality, which involves thorny questions of morality and psychology. There has never been a gay leader remotely near the stature of Martin Luther King or Ghandi, both of whom drew upon the profound spiritual traditions of religion, to which gay political rhetoric has always been childishly hostile. Remember, it was the influence of the Quakers in 18th century Britian and the flamboyent, thunderous activism of Evangelicals in 19th century America that powered the abolitionist movement and led to the end of slavery."-John McKellar (A homosexual)
--------------------------------------------------
They said the same thing about interracial marriage.

"This challenge has great rhetorical force, but it is a silly objection.

Consider two men, one rich and one poor, seeking to withdraw money from their bank. The rich man is denied because his account is empty. However, on closer inspection, a clerk discovers an error, corrects it, and releases the cash. Next in line, the poor man is denied for the same reason: insufficient funds. "Thatís the same thing you said about the last guy," he snaps. "Yes," the clerk replies. "We made a mistake with his account, but not with yours. Youíre broke."

In the same way, it simply is not relevant that the same objection has been used to deny both interracial and homosexual marriage. Itís only relevant if the circumstances are the same, regardless of the objection. They are not.

Same-sex marriage and interracial marriage have nothing in common. There is no difference between a black and a white human being because skin color is morally trivial. There is an enormous difference, however, between a man and a woman. Ethnicity has no bearing on marriage. Sex is fundamental to marriage.

This approach wonít work to justify polygamous or incestuous unions ("In the past people wouldnít allow interracial marriages, either."). It is equally ineffectual here. The objection may be the same, but the circumstances are entirely different."-Greg Koukl

I'm not telling you that you can't eat an ashtray. I'm just telling you that just because you can eat it, that doesn't make it food. In the same way, same sex unions do not qualify as marriage, because they lack a fundamental
ingredient/function. That is, the ability to reproduce. Sex is fundamental to marriage.

I did not say that homosexuals do not qualify as people, I said that same sex unions do not qualify as marriage. This is not about homosexuals. This is about what marriage is, and is not.

And it is not a civil rights issue, because same sex couples are not being denied any "rights", heterosexuals are also denied the "right" to marry someone of the same sex. We are on equal ground. This is because (as previously stated) marriage is something in particular. It is not a clay object that we simply mold and reshape as we please, whenever we please. It has a natural teleology. I didn't make marriage up, neither did you. It is what it is. "Same sex marriage" is simply an attempt at social engineering, geared toward including any and all, despite the fact that marriage, by nature, isn't "all inclusive".
so let's say a man and a woman get married, then come to find out one of them is unable to produce offspring. does that still count as a marriage?

in this wonderful modern world sex does not automatically mean producing offspring, and having offspring does not automatically include sex.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:32   #90
jp3975

Quote:
It's very frustrating when someone makes the claim that "No one can come up with a reason that isnt motivated by religion or because THEY dont like it. There is no logic in the nay sayers opinion. They're just like gun grabbing liberals."

Quite the contrary.
You still fail to provide any logical reasoning.

"They cant marry because they cant produce offspring"

So a sterile couple shouldnt be allowed to marry? How about couples who have no intent to reproduce?

What if your own wife was sterile and you found out before the wedding? Call it off?

Did you want to marry her because you loved her and wanted to do something to symbolize that or because she could have kids?

Id be willing to bet if you ask ANY couple why they are getting married to their partner..."So we can have children or want children" will be their answer in almost zero cases.

Children are secondary to marriage and really have nothing to do with it.

People who dont marry have kids all the time and they face the same legal stipulations as those who are married.

As for your gay opponent of same sex marriage....i could find you a black man that supports the kkk as well. So what?

Quote:

There are very sound, reasonable arguments against same sex marriage, that are not necessarily motivated by religion, and certainly are not motivated by the "ick factor"
Pretty much every argument presented here or elsewhere is exactly that. Religiously based or ick factor. Or just "I dont think its right so they cant do it" factor.

A few people try to put science it it, but they are[sometimes admittedly] religious, and personally opposed to gay marriage. They look for reasoning to stop it. And its always been flawed when presented here and elsewhere.

Quote:

As far as "gays" having the same rights as heterosexuals, they have the exact same rights that I, a heterosexual male have.
This is just silly.

Quote:
As far as "trying to force their views on others". Isn't that exactly what you are doing? It's the view that you have a problem with.. let's not make believe that your "opposition" are the only ones in the business of "forcing their views".
Actually not at all.

You and your lot are trying to tell others how they can live and what they can and cant do.

I dont care what you believe, you are free to do it and im not forcing anything on you.

Its you that is trying to stop others...interjecting your view into their life and telling them how they should live.

As for me. I merely think that this is America...and anyone should be able to do anything they like so long as it doesnt infringe upon the rights of another.

Are gay people feeling like they love each other and want to make a commitment...in the same manor as straight people infringing on your rights?

Nope. Sure arent.

Quote:
I probably know/have known more homosexuals personally than you may ever know. I grew up with an openly homosexual brother. I have had many friends etc. who are homosexual. We still have homosexual friends to this day. One in particular that we are especially close to. So my views on this subject are not motivated by any kind of supposed "hate", "homophobia", or "ignorance" regarding homosexuals.
There's still no reason in it. "gays cant marry because they cant produce" is essentially what you contributed.

Whether you have gay friends or not, you are still trying to impose your will upon them.

Last edited by jp3975; 05-20-2013 at 11:46..
Old 05-20-2013, 11:53   #91
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Give me freedom or give me death!

None for you, though, you nasty gay with your insidious agenda!
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:58   #92
itstime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
At one point, I was totally against this. Now? This isn't a legislative issue. What WILL be an issue is re-defining life-partner for health insurance purposes. THAT is going to get expensive and this is an opening into that. And it's not my job to figure it out, thankfully.

I have my religious beliefs on it. And so did 1st century Christians on the Roman empire. Strange how Paul, Peter and John never ran for public office.
Well sir, you summed it up for me quick into the post.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:22   #93
Lampshade

Quote:
Same-sex marriage and interracial marriage have nothing in common.
They have lots in common, if you can't see the parallels you're probably a lost cause already.

Gotta run to work, perhaps I'll be back to address the rest of that macaroni.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:36   #94
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
You still fail to provide any logical reasoning.

"They cant marry because they cant produce offspring"

So a sterile couple shouldnt be allowed to marry? How about couples who have no intent to reproduce?
In the end, this really is it. To think having children is the sole purpose of marriage borders not only on the assinine, but on ignorance. HH

Old 05-20-2013, 18:23   #95
jp3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
In the end, this really is it. To think having children is the sole purpose of marriage borders not only on the assinine, but on ignorance. HH
I dont think he thinks that. Im sure he married because he loved the woman that he's with and viewed that as an expression of his love. Getting married is what just about all people who love each other and plan to live/stay together for a long time do.

He and others like him who dont like gay marriage for whatever reason are just looking for any way they can to rationalize controlling what other people do.

None of them so far have come up with an ounce of logic to back up their view. They wont because there is none. Its perfectly fine to think its wrong and i understand it. But its wrong to force your mostly based on religious view into a law that stops people from doing things they wish to do.

Unfortunately, there are enough people who believe its wrong that its difficult for most states to legalize it.

Its amazing to me that people think that they should be able to control what others do which has absolutly no affect on them.

Last edited by jp3975; 05-20-2013 at 18:26..
Old 05-20-2013, 18:49   #96
LockedBreech

"Everyone gets mad at gay people for wanting to get married, but everyone loves gay people when they write the song Karma Chameleon, or star in the movie Top Gun."

- Mike Birbiglia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beretta PX4 .40 S&W - Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para - Colt 1968 Detective Special .38 Spc. - Ruger LCP .380 ACP - Daniel Defense M4V1 Carbine 5.56x45 - Ruger 10/22 .22LR - Remington 870 Express Tactical 12GA - 1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54
LockedBreech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 19:26   #97
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

I must be unpopular here, i voted to legalize gay marraige in my state and Support the north in civil war re fights
Old 05-20-2013, 19:39   #98
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
I must be unpopular here, i voted to legalize gay marraige in my state and Support the north in civil war re fights

No, there are atleast a few of us here.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 19:48   #99
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffinCheater View Post
Everyone has the freedom of choice. That's why God created Heaven & Hell. Choose wisely.
For someone with a mogen david as an avatar, you might want to rethink this... HH

Old 05-20-2013, 19:53   #100
Lampshade

Quote:
In the same way, same sex unions do not qualify as marriage, because they lack a fundamental ingredient/function. That is, the ability to reproduce. Sex is fundamental to marriage.
The ability to reproduce is not a prerequisite for marriage, otherwise sterile people wouldn't be able to get married. Nor could post menopausal women.

You clearly have not though this through very well.

Last edited by Lampshade; 05-20-2013 at 20:02..

Tags
marriage, minnesota, scary gays!