GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:29   #1
XDRoX

Need engineering advice to make a sunshade...

Here's the situation. My sister is going to have a very large party at her house this summer. Here backyard is a swimming pool surrounded by a deck. It gets very hot in the summer and we need shade. She wants me to figure out the cheapest way to shade the pool and deck.

I need some ideas to get started. So far I'm thinking some type of tarp material held by 6 or 8 posts. Maybe metal fence posts or something else like that.

I need ideas of what to make the tarp out of, it's probably going to have to have some holes for wind.

Also what to make the posts from.

The catch is it needs to be about 60' x 40'. Without any type of supports under the tarp because of the pool.
Any ideas will be very helpful. Thanks.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:33   #2
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Rent a tent. Trying to DIY a freestanding 60x40 is a recipe for Youtube gold.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:38   #3
RHVEtte

60'x40'?! You're going to have to put together one hell of a truss system to do that with just edge support. A question. Why do you have to shade the pool? I thought the point of a pool was to have the sun warm the water and then hop into the pleasingly warm water when it gets too hot out. Can you just shade the surrounding deck areas? What would those dimensions be?
Liberty is a candle in a tempest. It is a rare and beautiful thing that must be jealously guarded, lest it be snuffed out. And like the candle, Liberty under tyranny is difficult to reignite. -- undoubtedly said by someone smarter than I.
RHVEtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:44   #4
XDRoX

Hmmm. That's what I was afraid of. I was worried it may not be able to be made that big. Not sure if I could rent one that big???

The shade she has back there right now like a couple gazebos gets over crowed during parties.

Maybe if I just shade half the backyard. That would be about 30'x20'. Maybe that would be more realistic. And still allow sun for those that want it.

Right now she has a 10x10' shade suspended above the pool and people fight over the shade.

It can get hot down here.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:46   #5
9jeeps
Fogey

Rent a bunch of Deck Umbrellas with small tables and chairs for folks.
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:53   #6
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9jeeps View Post
Rent a bunch of Deck Umbrellas with small tables and chairs for folks.
This is starting to sound like a better idea. I own 50 party chairs very nice ones. And three white easy ups. Maybe this is the route I should be considering.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:54   #7
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Here's the situation. My sister is going to have a very large party at her house this summer. Here backyard is a swimming pool surrounded by a deck. It gets very hot in the summer and we need shade. She wants me to figure out the cheapest way to shade the pool and deck.

I need some ideas to get started. So far I'm thinking some type of tarp material held by 6 or 8 posts. Maybe metal fence posts or something else like that.

I need ideas of what to make the tarp out of, it's probably going to have to have some holes for wind.

Also what to make the posts from.

The catch is it needs to be about 60' x 40'. Without any type of supports under the tarp because of the pool.
Any ideas will be very helpful. Thanks.
One local place has 30 X 60 as their largest frame tent. Don't know the price, probably more expensive than a similar size pole tent. They have a 40 X 60 pole tent for around $1000 a day rental, delivered and picked up but not set up. Either one will be a chore for you to set up and take down. I assume some rental places also do set up but then you are talking about even more $$. If you are thinking about buying your own components and making your own 40 X 60 frame tent, I would say lots of $$ and a disaster waiting to happen.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:58   #8
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

60 feets X 40 feets just means you need about 12 20 feets X 10 feets plastic blue tarps. A little bit of cloths line tied wicked tight on all four corners and duct tape....LOTS and LOTS of duct tape!!

That a pray that there isn't the slightest breeze to turn the shade into a sail that will take you to Oz to visit Strawman and his buddies..
Old 05-16-2013, 12:02   #9
220-9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullClip View Post
60 feets X 40 feets just means you need about 12 20 feets X 10 feets plastic blue tarps. A little bit of cloths line tied wicked tight on all four corners and duct tape....LOTS and LOTS of duct tape!!

That a pray that there isn't the slightest breeze to turn the shade into a sail that will take you to Oz to visit Strawman and his buddies..
And Jeff Foxworthy will send someone over to take pictures for his next book.
220-9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:03   #10
nosuchagency
is invisible...

i recently purchased a roll of sun screen shade cloth for my tomatoes from a local brick & mortar. it's pretty light weight & comes in different dimensions; not certain how you'd approach coverage for the area you're mentioning though.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Easy-Gard...350D/202251733
sig club #45...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetDet View Post
..."fair" is a word used by little kids and democrats.

Last edited by nosuchagency; 05-16-2013 at 12:05..
nosuchagency is offline   Reply With Quote