Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-05-2013, 17:01   #1
Aceman

BAckup iPhone battery?

Any body use one?
- What brand?
-How many charges?
-How long does it extend power?

Or any USB compat smart phone charger....
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 18:54   #2
AZson

My Galaxy 3 I just change out the battery.
Old 12-05-2013, 21:05   #3
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

I bought this one in April, https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-unu...or-iphone-4-4s

It charges with a mini plug. The way it works is you charge the battery in the case and the phone all the way. Plug the phone into the case. As the battery goes down in the phone, the case charges it; keeping the phone at 100%, until the case is empty. Then, you run off the phone, alone.

You can leave the phone in the case and charge them all, together. I keep the phone and case separate. I don't like the extra heft. I bought my iPhone 4 in June 2010. I still get two or three days out of the battery, before charge. One way I do this is by not charging it until it gets down to 5%, or less; the, giving it a full charge. Therefore, if I see the battery has 20% left, and I know I'me going to be using it a lot that day, I'll take the case and plug the case in when the phone is too low. If I recently charged the case, it will fill the phone to 100%. Usually, the case has been sitting for a few weeks (or several) and will only charge the phone to 80%+-; even through, the gauge on the back of the case indicates a full charge.

I like that the case has the more common charger. If I can't find an appropriate iPhone charger, I can almost always find the mini that the case uses.

For those doubting the battery empty to full theory, I have two phones. One is my personal iPhone 4 from 06/2010, the other is a Droid Maxx from 02/2013. Both of them are treated the same=empty to full.
The old lady has had three HTC's and recently (last summer) got a Samsung Galaxy III S. She pligs it in, willy-nilly, Needs charged? She plugs it in on the way to Wal-Mart, it goes from 5% to 10%, she then unplugs it until leaving Wal-Mart. Then, it goes from 7%-12%. Get home and she doesn't charge it. It gets down to 1 or 2% and she charges it until she needs to relocate within the house. It may get to 50-60%, then, she takes it off and uses it. It only gets fully charged at night, when she remembers. The longest hers lasts, without much use, is 8-10 hours.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 22:25   #4
NAS T MAG

Get a Mophie.
http://www.mophie.com/
NAS T MAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 22:28   #5
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

I keep a charged spare for my S4, that stays in my BOB, that stays in my car or goes with me outdoors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 22:35   #6
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Any body use one?
- What brand?
-How many charges?
-How long does it extend power?

Or any USB compat smart phone charger....
Posted this in another thread.

12,000mah external battery.

Much cheaper than an extra IPhone battery at $42.00

It'll charge any IPhone at least 7.5 times from dead without recharging and possibly more than that depending on the model that you have.

Only recharges mine 3-4 times from dead but I love it. I can generally go 2-3 days on a charge so this gives me 8-16 days of juice without recharging.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:59   #7
prism
more ammo

at walmart, saw a little case that would hold four AA batteries, used for charging other devices. seemed like a good thing to have if you were away from AC power but had some AA batteries. for regular use, I suppose rechargeable AA's would be best, and have their usual many uses, too.
Explosives were used because officials believed the whale was too large to shoot. /// "that's celebratory gunfire." /// It began, as it so often does, with a drum circle. /// "The Land that Caturday Forgot"
prism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:04   #8
Aceman

Rechargeable AA's....

I do like that idea!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:56   #9
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Rechargeable AA's....

I do like that idea!
In that case, the goal zero recharger uses rechargeable AA's and incorporates into the multiple goal zero solar panels they offer.

This is my backup to the external battery as the 4 AA's offered 2300mah won't completely recharge my phone but I do carry 2 of the inverters and 20 rechargeable AA's on trips as well as the solar panel.

ETA: You can also use standard AA batteries in these inverters.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States

Last edited by actionshooter10; 12-06-2013 at 10:59..
actionshooter10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 21:26   #11
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionshooter10 View Post
Posted this in another thread.

Amazon.com: New Trent iCarrier 12000mAh Portable Dual USB Port External Battery Charger/Power Pack for Smartphones, Tablets and more (Now w/Micro-USB charge port): MP3 Players & Accessories 12,000mah external battery.

Much cheaper than an extra IPhone battery at $42.00

It'll charge any IPhone at least 7.5 times from dead without recharging and possibly more than that depending on the model that you have.

Only recharges mine 3-4 times from dead but I love it. I can generally go 2-3 days on a charge so this gives me 8-16 days of juice without recharging.
+1

I have several portable devices similar to this...

..some single USB out, some double USB & some also flashlights.

Given several away to family members also.

But I do keep a spare charged battery for my Note II also.

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:26   #12
SFCSMITH(RET)

+2 on the New Trent gear. My wife is an apple user, and travels a LOT.. many airports are catching up with the need for charging stations etc, but they didn't have them years ago, so she started using the New Trent stuff. She has the biggest one they have, and a smaller 5000mah one that I use now. Very handy, especially now that she can wifi on most flights..

My phone has a swappable battery, but have never bought a spare because I have the New Trent. Buddy has the battery case for his iphone.. makes the phone pretty thick, and I like to carry in my back pocket.. so wouldn't work for me.

Back in the day, she started with one of the AA holders.. didn't do a very good job and would only half charge her phone per set of AA batteries and took hours to do it.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:53   #14
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS T MAG View Post
If they would make one for the Galaxy Note, I would buy one.

Old 12-08-2013, 13:29   #15
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionshooter10 View Post
In that case, the goal zero recharger uses rechargeable AA's and incorporates into the multiple goal zero solar panels they offer.

This is my backup to the external battery as the 4 AA's offered 2300mah won't completely recharge my phone but I do carry 2 of the inverters and 20 rechargeable AA's on trips as well as the solar panel.

ETA: You can also use standard AA batteries in these inverters.
There is that darn Goal Zero name again....

I just need to buy their whole deal.
Old 12-08-2013, 20:50   #16
Slackinoff

I just ordered one of these neat little USB charge adapters some of the RC crowd uses....I have some LiPo packs from my RC days that I figured I could re-purpose into USB power.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...arging-Adaptor

The nice thing about this adapter is that the input voltage can be from 6.8v to 16.8v (2s to 4s) I am going to wire up a few adapters so I can throw it on a terminal post batt if needed.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:41   #17
bdcochran

Just add water - for the survivalist who has everything

http://powertrekk.com/

Just add water!

I guess that backup for cell phones now qualifies for extreme survival consideration.

So, if you have a spare couple of hundred dollars, here you are ....
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:28   #18
Deputydave

The day before our last SEP gathering I bought a MyCharge Hub 6000. It charged an Iphone from 14% to full and a Galaxy S3 from 19% to 50% and then was out of juice. That was from the charge out of the package (which indicated it was full i.e. green light). Compared to what I'm seeing here though that isn't a lot and there are better products. I'm charging my phone now so I'll see how it does. Might be heading back to Best Buy to return and get one of those 15000mah listed above (and it was cheaper as well).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Deputydave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:07   #19
Deputydave

Well I went ahead and returned the MyCharge Hub 6000 and ordered the Anker Astro E5 15000mah. After seeing it linked above (thank you Glockdude1) I looked up some reviews on YT. The listing states it will charge an S4 four times. I have an S3 and a guy on YT claims he is able to get 7 or 8 charges. Now a lot depends on the point your charging of course, but four times is more than the 1.5 (or less) I was getting with the MyCharge.

Hopefully it will arrive before our next SEP gathering in January.

Deputydave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 16:41   #20
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
Well I went ahead and returned the MyCharge Hub 6000 and ordered the Anker Astro E5 15000mah. After seeing it linked above (thank you Glockdude1) I looked up some reviews on YT. The listing states it will charge an S4 four times. I have an S3 and a guy on YT claims he is able to get 7 or 8 charges. Now a lot depends on the point your charging of course, but four times is more than the 1.5 (or less) I was getting with the MyCharge.

Hopefully it will arrive before our next SEP gathering in January.