Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-10-2013, 15:10   #1
steven07

Bailout Bag

Hopefully I'm in the right place. I recently decided to put toga the r2 bailout bag for whatever circumstances. So far one has a g17 and a few hindered rounds, the other (mine) has a CZ-75 and another few hundred rounds... But from there I'm having a little trouble deciding on light weight necessities. Ideally I would like to keep both these bags under 10lbs and already I have 3-4lbs. of guns and ammo in them. What else do I need?
steven07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 15:56   #2
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Search-Get home bags or bug out bags,GT has a ton of info on the subject.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 16:03   #3
Deputydave

The first thing you need to establish is your priorities. What is more important to you, several pounds of ammo or;

Several ways to start a fire i.e. lighter, matches, ferro rod, magbar and several types of tinder i.e. cotton balls coated with vasaline or micro/mini inferno or wetfire etc.

Water containers (preferably metal) and ways to disinfect water i.e. boiling (see starting a fire above), 2% Tintcure iodine, bleach etc.

How about a shelter or other means of regulating core body temperature such as an emergency space blanket?

How about some food?

What about a cutting tool i.e. knife and/or multi tool?

How about some cordage?

What about some type of first aid kit?

How about a compass and the knowledge to use it?

What about lighting i.e. headlamp, hand torch etc?

What about a means to attract attention if needed i.e. whistle, signal mirror?

And in some of these areas you want redundancy i.e. 'two is one and one is none'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 16:59   #4
Akita
gone

Specifically how do you intend to use this bag? Get home from work, get from home to near/distant location, get to vehicle, hunker in place, defend against crimes against you, ....etc.

Astronomical variations in contents based on intended use.
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 17:14   #5
mac66
Plant the seed

Don't put a bow in it. Just saying

mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 17:21   #6
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
The first thing you need to establish is your priorities. What is more important to you, several pounds of ammo or;

Several ways to start a fire i.e. lighter, matches, ferro rod, magbar and several types of tinder i.e. cotton balls coated with vasaline or micro/mini inferno or wetfire etc.

Water containers (preferably metal) and ways to disinfect water i.e. boiling (see starting a fire above), 2% Tintcure iodine, bleach etc.

How about a shelter or other means of regulating core body temperature such as an emergency space blanket?

How about some food?

What about a cutting tool i.e. knife and/or multi tool?

How about some cordage?

What about some type of first aid kit?

How about a compass and the knowledge to use it?

What about lighting i.e. headlamp, hand torch etc?

What about a means to attract attention if needed i.e. whistle, signal mirror?

And in some of these areas you want redundancy i.e. 'two is one and one is none'.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 21:54   #7
OMDonald

I might be saying the same thing as DeputyDave, but here's my categorical list.

-------------------

Method of carry - pack(s), sack(s), belt, etc.

Shelter - clothing, tent, tarp, bag, pad, etc.

Nutrition - water, water treatment, food, food prep, fire, etc.

Utility - navigation, communication, illumination, necessary tools, fire, etc.

First Aid / Medical - including water treatment, nutrition, and fire

Special - hunting, fishing, climbing, flying, skiing, boating, biking, off-road vehicle, etc

Special - self defense / defense of others

Hygiene

---------------------

I consider these categories before every trip or any bag gets packed.

Last edited by OMDonald; 05-10-2013 at 22:03..
OMDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:11   #8
ratf51

I think that you are too ammo heavy. A G17/CZ75 and 2 spare mags should do. Swapping that weight of ammo that you stated that you currently have for other things will get you a lot of other things-- items that will actually be more likely to get used in a bail-out/bug-out/get-home scenario. To echo akita-- what is the purpose of this bag? Get back home? Bug out? Go to war? DD and OMD have given good list guidelines. You are on the right path, continue the journey...

Last edited by ratf51; 05-11-2013 at 06:11..
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:14   #9
ratf51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:28   #10
Smoker

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/sear...rchid=12932807
The search feature is a very useful tool.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52   #11
steven07

I'm currently living in an apartment in the suburbs of a major city. If sh** hit the fan I have no extinctions of trying to hold down the fort here. While I am just starting to give thought to a plan on action, the furthers I have gotten is loading my girlfriend and two bags in my truck and heading for the countryside. Two 72 hour bags should get us at least out of the city and somewhere relatively safe. Just incase the truck has to be abandoned I prefer at least on light bag for here while keeping the bulk of things on my back.
steven07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:11   #12
Tom Kanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratf51 View Post
I had the same reaction!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:05   #13
Akita
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven07 View Post
I'm currently living in an apartment in the suburbs of a major city. If sh** hit the fan I have no extinctions of trying to hold down the fort here. While I am just starting to give thought to a plan on action, the furthers I have gotten is loading my girlfriend and two bags in my truck and heading for the countryside. Two 72 hour bags should get us at least out of the city and somewhere relatively safe. Just incase the truck has to be abandoned I prefer at least on light bag for here while keeping the bulk of things on my back.
OK. That narrows it down a lot. But keep in mind that you need a destination(relative, Red Cross/DHS collection point, etc) or you are just another refugee and member of the Golden Hoard.

72 hrs means basic water, food, and shelter/protection.

I assume you are wearing clothing appropriate to the weather, including some kind of hat.

(a single) Kathadyn/PUR filter for water + camelback/equiv for each of you. I'd add a few chlorine tabs as backup since they don't weigh anything and are small.

3 ways to make fire each. butane, matches, flint/steel, etc

3 MREs (heater type) per bag and some hard candy. Add a few packets of fast food salt for grins.

2 large unscented/unpoisoned garbage bags for each person for emergency rain gear.

Cash appropriate to your means in $5 bills.

Pistol each in same caliber and 2 mags worth of reloads each. This should be on your belt.

A bit of duct/athletic/electrical tape.

A sturdy pocketknife each

Small tube of triple antibiotic.

Dental floss or heavy spiderwire for cordage.

Small compass each if one of you knows how to use it.

That's it. Remember that you are not trying to Thrive, just Survive a few days. You can survive and move relatively unencumbered with the above. But you need to have a destination to resupply. Otherwise the type of bag is WAAAAY different.

Nice to haves:

change of sox and underwear.
smallest LED light you can find.
cell phones, and possibly small solar charger for them.
small bar of soap.
crossbow with a minimum 175# pull for silent dispatch of your enemies. + a minimum 24 bolts per bow.

Don't try to do everything at once and resist the temptation to load up on guns and ammo. You can tell a real prepper/survivalist by his ratio of food to gunstuff.

Now what you keep behind the truck seat is a Totally different story.......
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01   #14
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita View Post
OK. That narrows it down a lot. But keep in mind that you need a destination(relative, Red Cross/DHS collection point, etc) or you are just another refugee and member of the Golden Hoard.

72 hrs means basic water, food, and shelter/protection.
Steven07, Akita has a good list. I'd like to add some thoughts here and there.

Quote:
I assume you are wearing clothing appropriate to the weather, including some kind of hat.
The #1 killer in a situation you're likely to be going through is exposure i.e. hypothermia or hyperthermia combinted with dehydration. Your clothing is your first/best defense to control core body temperature. A hat is an excellent idea regardless if it is hot or cold. It works for both temp ranges. I would also recommend a cotton bandanna. Very useful item of clothing. Filters sediment out of collectied water, can be used as a first aid device (sling, splint, bandage, direct pressure etc), can be used to bind i.e cordage, signalling device (color and movement), personal hygiene etc.

Quote:
(a single) Kathadyn/PUR filter for water + camelback/equiv for each of you. I'd add a few chlorine tabs as backup since they don't weigh anything and are small.
Most disinfecting solutions are based upon quart/liter sizes. Direction would be on the chlorine tabs. 2% tintcure iodine is 5 drops per quart/liter if clear and let set for 30 minutes. Also iodine is a good topical for cuts so it serves a dual puropose. And it's cheap. Up to 10 drops if cloudy and/or longer wait time. Same for bleach (unscented). Keep in mind that these methods are NOT 100% effective. Ranges in the high 90% depending on water temp and clarity which can and will effect the end product.

A metal container to boil collected water is the ONLY 100% sure way to disinfect. Bring to rolling boil and the pathagens are killed.

Quote:
3 ways to make fire each. butane, matches, flint/steel, etc
Fire is one of those areas that you need to be VERY redundant in as it is THAT important i.e. disinfect water, cook food, regulate core body temp, protection and pyschological effect. A lighter in the brightest color you can get i.e. orange. Get a plastic match safe with water proof matches and striker. Many come with a whistle and small mirror. And a ferro rod and/or magnesium bar. Get some practice with each. A ferro rod or mag bar can be used to get a hundred or more fires going even in marginal conditions....IF you know what you're doing. That's where good tinder comes in i.e. the cotton balls with vasaline (or some triple antibiotic ointments or chapstick) smeared on them. 000 gauge steel wool takes a spark. Alcohol prep pads take a spark. Hand sanitizer on some cotton balls or cloth takes a spark.

But GET SOME PRACTICE AHEAD OF TIME!!!

Quote:
3 MREs (heater type) per bag and some hard candy. Add a few packets of fast food salt for grins.
Toss in some protein bars and/or some candy bars. It serves as nutrients and comfort food at the same time. Important to have in a stressful situation.

Quote:
2 large unscented/unpoisoned garbage bags for each person for emergency rain gear.
Depending on where you live, the Dollar Store has two rain ponchos for a buck. Will they last for 20 years? Nope. Will they keep you dry for a 72 hours scenario? Yes. Can be used in a pinch, like the garbage bags for shelter. Get the thickest/biggest you can find.

As I mentioned in my first post, mylar space blankets are a MUST! They are cheap, they work and have multiple uses i.e. regulate core temp, ground cover, rain gear, rain cathch, shelter from wind/rain/sun, signaling device.

Quote:
A bit of duct/athletic/electrical tape.
Also a must have with multiple uses. For example, cordage, repairs, also lights up for tinder etc.

A LOT of this stuff is inexpensive and there is really no excuse not to have it handy i.e. BOB/GHB/EDC etc. Amazon and Ebay are a ready and cheap resource. Ebay has 7W CREE LED torches for $6 that will get nearly 100 lumens of a single AA and can even have low and strobe functions.

Quote:
A sturdy pocketknife each
A Swiss Army knife and/or multitool is worth its weight in gold. I recommend a good fixed blade knife for tasks that a pocket knife can't do or do as well. Look at the Product Review Thread' here in this section for examples I and others have reviewed.

The book 98.6 Degrees the Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive and/or When Disaster Strikes by Cody Lundin are good sources of information for you. Dave Canterbury's 'Survivalbility for the Common Man' is a good read. Also the magazine, "Self Reliance Illustrated" is a good resource. I have a thread with a link in this section as well.

Last edited by Deputydave; 05-11-2013 at 10:09..
Old 05-11-2013, 10:12   #15
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

We got a 22yr menu and then sum.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:13   #16
Deputydave

My EDC Bag

In the link above is a pic and contents of my normal EDC as an example of some stuff you need. It is in the 44th post. I have a larger one that doubles as a GHB that I haven't posted there yet. But this will give you an example of this type of set up and then it can help towards BOB/GHB set ups.

Hope all this stuff is giving you good food for thought.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:12   #17
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
I guess I am easy, but that gave me my first real belly-laugh of the day! I thank God that some folks have a sense of humor around here!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:21   #18
Akita
gone

I like DD's thoughts, which reminded me of one thing I should have said: any pocketknife blade that you use MUST be able to be locked. Slicing your hand in a survival situation because of some cheap knife is a Sin. My edc pocketknife is a CRK M16-10kz. Paid about $20 at walmart for it, fell in love, went back to buy a few more and found that they no longer carry CRK brand.

Think lightweight when you can.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:45   #19
lavon_andy

mora knives are rather inexpensive for a fixed blade utility knife as well

I don't see the point in a $100 knife just to sit in a bag (unless you really like knives that is)
lavon_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:48   #20
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita View Post
I like DD's thoughts, which reminded me of one thing I should have said: any pocketknife blade that you use MUST be able to be locked. Slicing your hand in a survival situation because of some cheap knife is a Sin. My edc pocketknife is a CRK M16-10kz. Paid about $20 at walmart for it, fell in love, went back to buy a few more and found that they no longer carry CRK brand.

Think lightweight when you can.
Big 5 had these on sale last week for around $16. I picked one up.