GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-14-2013, 21:48   #41
cityborncountrylivin

Had a hooker knocking on the door of the hotel room with the wife and youngins all snuggled up together in the bed. Tried wispering through the door to the young lady, it woke up the bride who wanted to know who was at the door, then my daughter wanted to know what a hooker was…..
cityborncountrylivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:11   #42
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityborncountrylivin View Post
then my daughter wanted to know what a hooker was…..
"Kind of like your moms sister, but they get paid more."

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:00   #43
SCmasterblaster

I would call the police first and fully describe the situation, I would have my G17 with me though.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16   #44
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

You would want to call 911 and advise the intruder that you have a gun and aren't afraid to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesey View Post
So you wake up to someone pounding on your apartment door and yelling to open up. The time is 4am and it becomes apparent he's at the wrong apartment because he's calling someone's name to open up and come out. You yell back that there's no one here by that name, he's got the wrong place, so go away. Angry/drunk guy doesn't buy it, keeps pounding, yelling, and starts throwing his body against the door in an apparent attempt to break it in. You have a phone and a loaded gun nearby. What would you do? What order would you do it? Call 911? Grab gun first? Verbally warn the guy that you are armed?

This is based on a real scenario that happened to an aquaintance recently. I have my opinion; I'm interested in yours.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:18   #45
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
When it happened to us at our condo 20 something years ago I grabbed a gun and then dialed 911.

I was in a good position as our outside door was at ground level, but once in the condo you had to come up a flight of stairs to reach the living area. I just leaned over the edge of the half wall that allowed me to look down the stair and talked to the police. Had the person broken the door down, he would have been trapped in a shooters alley with only 2 ways to go. 1) towards me who would have been shooting 2) back out the door.

Cops arrived. . then more cops arrived. . . then more cops arrived Took 5 of them to take him down. Mace had zero effect on him. He was high and had outstanding warrants for prior assaults against the police. The police that responded were "less than gentle" with him. . .
That warms my heart...

Personally, I think residential burglary/home invasions are among the worst crimes you can commit.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26   #46
SCmasterblaster

Oh, yes. I would tell 911 that I am armed and my appearance.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:51   #47
VT_smokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Glad to see that nobody, besides our esteemed VP, is suggesting, “Just fire the shotgun through the door.”
I know every state is different, but if I remember right, in NC you can use deadly force on someone trying to kick in your door, but once they're actually in your house, they have to be trying to harm you or someone else. Seems like a crazy law to me, but I'm not a lawyer, and its possible I read it wrong. Thanks for the reminder to review the laws before I head back there this weekend!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
VT_smokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:00   #48
rhino673

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
"dave's not here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Best answer by far!!
rhino673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:11   #49
zbusdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
"Kind of like your moms sister, but they get paid more."

Last edited by zbusdriver; 05-15-2013 at 08:12..
zbusdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:58   #50
poodleplumber

Quote:
You don't know if the guy's drunk or pretending to be drunk in order to trick you into opening the door.
This is a point that deserves emphasis.

And taking it a couple of steps further, even if he really is drunk or high, it was HIS choice to take something that impaired his judgement. The fact that he is at the wrong house and trying to force the door clearly demonstrates that his judgement is seriously impaired, and that makes him MORE of a threat to my family, not less.

So absolutely call 911 and absolutely do not open the door. But if he breaches the door I am not waiting for a tox screen to come back before I defend myself. The guy breaking my door down created this situation, regardless of what chemicals he ingested to get himself to that point.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:01   #51
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Worse in a residence than in an apartment. I can't stand apartments/condos.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 05-16-2013 at 10:02..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:06   #52
Ricky Ricardo

I actually had a similar experience thirty years ago. My wife and I had just gotten married and we were living in an apartment. The apartment complex was nice enough, it wasn’t a luxurious complex nor a ghetto.

Around 2:00 a.m. we were awakened by someone pounding on the door and calling out a woman’s name. He sounded drunk.

I yelled through the door that he had the wrong apartment. He kept yelling so either he didn’t understand me or he didn’t believe me. He also kept pounding on the door and saying he was going to break the door.

I grabbed my handgun and my wife called 911 to report the guy. I looked out the peep hole and I didn’t recognize the guy. I told him we called the police and they were on their way. He finally left and the police showed up about 10 minutes later. They said they had looked around the complex and didn’t find him.

I never told the police I was armed and I never told the drunk either.
Ricky Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 13:32   #53
CA Escapee
Finally!

Luckily, my compartment is on the second floor; my door is on the first floor. I've got a living room window that is above and slightly to the North of the door down below, and a balcony further to the North.

I won't open the door, but I can open the window, or walk out on to the balcony, look down, see the door, and talk with the "visitor." If they refuse to leave or try to gain entry I'll have 911 on speaker phone.

If they do gain entry, they'll have to walk up the interior stairway where they will be lit up with a Surefire flashlight and loudly asked to leave. (all for the benefit of the 911 recording) If they don't it's very likely that paragraph 2 of Colorado's Revised Statute 18-1-704.5 will come into play.

Bill

Last edited by CA Escapee; 05-16-2013 at 13:34..
CA Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 14:42   #54
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
Yep....
All though I wouldn't make any noise or respond. If the guy hears no response maybe he'll go away & I can go back to sleep.

Or it could be a knock n rob.

Probably not if they're making a scene.....BUT.....
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 17:32   #55
Ryan WA

Quote:
So you wake up to someone pounding on your apartment door and yelling to open up. The time is 4am and it becomes apparent he's at the wrong apartment because he's calling someone's name to open up and come out. You yell back that there's no one here by that name, he's got the wrong place, so go away. Angry/drunk guy doesn't buy it, keeps pounding, yelling, and starts throwing his body against the door in an apparent attempt to break it in. You have a phone and a loaded gun nearby. What would you do? What order would you do it? Call 911? Grab gun first? Verbally warn the guy that you are armed?

This is based on a real scenario that happened to an aquaintance recently. I have my opinion; I'm interested in yours.
Take my double barreled shotgun and fire two blasts out the window...LOL

Ok in all seriousness.

All the above. I grab my gun and tell him I am armed and will shoot if he enters and that the police are on their way. Then call 911. Then finally hope for his sake the cops arrive before he makes entry, because at that point he will be lucky if he leaves on a stretcher rather than a body bag. I have no desire to take someone else's life but if I have to choose between me or other innocents and the bad guy, sorry he looses and I will fire until he is no longer a threat to anyone.

Last edited by Ryan WA; 05-16-2013 at 17:43..
Ryan WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 20:24   #56
milje

At 4 A.M. if someone was pounding on my door, I'd probably think it was my alarm clock waking me up, go take a pee, and start a pot of coffee. The sight of me walking around in my undies would probably scare him away.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
milje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 20:55   #57
thesilverbullet

i keep quite and go back to bed....

Last edited by thesilverbullet; 05-16-2013 at 20:57..
thesilverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 22:13   #58
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityborncountrylivin View Post
Had a hooker knocking on the door of the hotel room with the wife and youngins all snuggled up together in the bed. Tried wispering through the door to the young lady, it woke up the bride who wanted to know who was at the door, then my daughter wanted to know what a hooker was…..
C'mon man, you called the hooker. It's ok, we've all done it.
Old 05-30-2013, 20:51   #59
diablo2184

warn drunk at door, grab phone, dial 911 and advise PD, aim at door.
diablo2184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 23:00   #60
xmanhockey7

Quote:

Well if you were Joe Biden you'd probably shoot through the door. If I was able to I'd call 911 with my gun ready. But I'd be more concerned about having my gun ready incase he breaks down the door. And I was gonna make a "Dave's not here" reference but that one was already taken.