SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2013, 23:21   #21
glockman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieD View Post
Any knock after dark is automatically answered with a gun in hand anyway, so I guess that's the default option. Both of my doors have a window on them, so I'm going to visibly show him the gun pointed right at him, while calling 911.
Yup...I would also sic my attack-cat on him if necessary..
glockman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 00:41   #22
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesey View Post
so you wake up to someone pounding on your apartment door and yelling to open up. The time is 4am and it becomes apparent he's at the wrong apartment because he's calling someone's name to open up and come out. You yell back that there's no one here by that name, he's got the wrong place, so go away. Angry/drunk guy doesn't buy it, keeps pounding, yelling, and starts throwing his body against the door in an apparent attempt to break it in. You have a phone and a loaded gun nearby. What would you do? What order would you do it? Call 911? Grab gun first? Verbally warn the guy that you are armed?

This is based on a real scenario that happened to an aquaintance recently. I have my opinion; i'm interested in yours.
"dave's not here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 05-14-2013, 05:41   #23
dosei

On my nightstand is my cell phone, bluetooth earpiece, and eyeglasses. In front of the nightstand is a pair of pants with all the rest of my EDC. First action taken would be to put my glasses on, put my pants on, clip the phone onto my belt, and pop the earpiece in...then I leave the bedroom to see why someone is pounding on my door. So I'd be dialing 911 (which is easily done "hands-free") and letting the person know I've called 911 and that I am armed. There would also, of course, be the barking of my two large dogs. Should they break down the door...they are a violent intruder and will be dealt with accordingly.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:20   #24
BryanG

I would never open the door for any reason. I would be on the other side of the door with a firearm while my wife was dialing 911. I would warn the person that he had the wrong address and should move on while he can. Once he starts using his body against the door, he becomes a threat and receives no more warnings. If the door is breached, I fire until the threat is stopped.

No one will ever force their way into my home without facing deadly force. I've run over this many times in my mind and I have no doubt.

"We, the people are rightful masters of both Congress and the courts -- not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
Abraham Lincoln
BryanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:47   #25
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Wife would be on the phone with 911. I will have a 12 ga. pump trained on the door. The second the intruder steps foot in my house, they will get put down.

I'm the original owner of my house, so they won't have any excuses that they think this was "their buddies old apt/house."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:09   #26
fuzzy03cls

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGun View Post
Simple, call 911 with one hand, and cover the door with your gun with the other hand, and let the cops deal with the A hole.

Safest and easiest. Nothing to gain by confronting the dumb ass.
Yep....
All though I wouldn't make any noise or respond. If the guy hears no response maybe he'll go away & I can go back to sleep.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:16   #27
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Glad to see that nobody, besides our esteemed VP, is suggesting, “Just fire the shotgun through the door.”

Gun, phone, Bluetooth and Olight are all accessible. Arm self, provide verbal warning, call 911 and continue to provide warnings.

Hopefully, for all involved, the visitor does not breach the door.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22   #28
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
This is probably the most likely scenario that I would encounter where I live. Third floor apartment so windows aren't much of a concern, and the door seems like the only valid entry point. It's pretty heavy with a deadbolt and chain lock, so I think even a drunky would have a rather difficult time gaining entry.

After thoroughly crapping my pants, I would immediately grab the glock and phone and take cover behind my bed or couch. A verbal warning will have been given already. Dial 911 with a concise description of the situation and my location. Let the dispatchers know I am armed and to have officers announce themselves before entry (I'm sure this is the norm anyway).

If entry by assailant was made, shots would be fired immediately.

To clarify: my steps would be grab gun, verbal warning, dial 911 - in that order
This ^ including the pant-crapping.

I'll only add - verbal warning would include a caveat that the intruder will be fired upon.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:34   #29
Bruce M

I agree call 911 while getting gun. Suggest person is at wrong location. Try for cover/concealment at angle to the door if possible.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:46   #30
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

Grab the nightstand gun, huddle the wife and kids into a back bedroom with the AR15. Then I would yell out to the guy that he is in mortal danger if he comes in, then make a 911 call explaining situation, that I am armed & in fear for the life of my family, and that the intruder has been warned but is still trying to get in the door. Then we wait. IF he comes through the door he's dead...period.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20   #31
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Remotely activate trap door on porch so 'door pounder' falls onto sharpened re-bar. Go back to sleep.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:31   #32
glockman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
Remotely activate trap door on porch so 'door pounder' falls onto sharpened re-bar. Go back to sleep.
Better yet...Activate F-16 ejection seat jet pack that is placed under the front porch "welcome mat", launching the guy onto the front yard of a neightbor down the street...Then THEY can deal with him..
glockman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 15:31   #33
vafish

Let loose the hounds.

They would probably be barking their fool heads off before the first knock anyway.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 16:24   #34
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Grab gun, call 911, tell him to go away that I have called police and am armed.
Or do a Biden, shoot your double barrel shotgun in the air.
Old 05-14-2013, 16:37   #35
unit1069

1. Grab gun. You don't know if the guy's drunk or pretending to be drunk in order to trick you into opening the door.

2. Dial 911 and after making contact with LEO tell the guy on the other side of the door that LEO are converging on him right now.

3. Hunker down in a safe location and await LEO.

4. I wouldn't mention being armed in case he was able to escape, knowing there's a weapon on the premises when you might not be there if he comes back. If he does come through the door you can defend yourself without the worry of needing to warn him beforehand he was in mortal danger.

Last edited by unit1069; 05-14-2013 at 16:40..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 16:38   #36
FireForged
Millenium #3936

No matter how exciting the back story is.. its doesn't really change the very basic SD considerations:

Call 911
Prepare to defend yourself
Defend when you must

ps: 0 dark 30 is not 4am

Last edited by FireForged; 05-14-2013 at 16:40..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 16:40   #37
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

I'll take get up and grab weapon, call 911, inform of situation and tell would-be door breacher he's at wrong house and that I am armed, police notified and GTFO for $500, Alex.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 16:43   #38
wjv

When it happened to us at our condo 20 something years ago I grabbed a gun and then dialed 911.

I was in a good position as our outside door was at ground level, but once in the condo you had to come up a flight of stairs to reach the living area. I just leaned over the edge of the half wall that allowed me to look down the stair and talked to the police. Had the person broken the door down, he would have been trapped in a shooters alley with only 2 ways to go. 1) towards me who would have been shooting 2) back out the door.

Cops arrived. . then more cops arrived. . . then more cops arrived Took 5 of them to take him down. Mace had zero effect on him. He was high and had outstanding warrants for prior assaults against the police. The police that responded were "less than gentle" with him. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 16:52   #39
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I would warn that I am armed, and cut him in half if he got the door open.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 17:00   #40
jdavionic
NRA Member

The answer depends on more specifics. If I'm home alone or with my family...that's a significant factor. My first obligation is to protect my family. If they were home, I'd have my wife lock herself in the bedroom with my daughters while I would position myself in a defensive spot that puts him at the greatest disadvantage should he enter the home, while putting myself as a defensive line that he'd have to kill to get to my family. At that point, I'd warn him that he will be shot if he enters.

If I'm alone, I'd still position myself in the same manner, call 911 with one hand with the firearm in the other. While on 911, I'd likely warn him not to enter my home.

On the latter, I know of a person that was a "victim" of a home invasion. He survived the encounter. One of the BGs died, the other ran away and was subsequently caught. He heard knocking/doorbell on the front door immediately after his wife left the house in the late afternoon. He thought it was her and that she forgot something. However as he approached the door, he observed 2 guys going around to look in a front window. He just had enough time to arm himself, position himself in the hallway, and then they kicked in the door. Point being, had he called 911 before arming himself, the outcome MAY have been quite different.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote