Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:28   #161
Hugo R
Gaff G26 User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Any specific recommendations here?

I've looked into the various choices for doors and made/implemented my decisions, but not so much on the windows yet.
Any quality double paned windows, you can find them at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Osh, any of the big hardware stores or specialty shops but there you'll pay a lot more.

Professionally installed and with the window locks and pop out blocks that most of them come with i find it hard to believe that someone can sneak into your house at night without making a bunch of noise.

Quality double paned windows make an incredible amount of noise when broken, and it takes a lot to break one.

I think being proactive in your security goes a long way towards not having some two bit burgler sneak into your home in the middle of the night. And all the way into your bedroom?

HR
Old 05-17-2013, 10:44   #162
Ricky Ricardo

Bedside Glock - Loaded or unloaded?

Loaded. With a spare magazine and flashlight and cell phone next to it. The Glock is inside a holster to keep the trigger covered.

No children,young or otherwise, are in my house.

Sometimes the nightstand gun is a 5 inch barrel 1911,or .357 Magnum revolver with the same set up.

On my wife's side, it's a .357 Magnum revolver with a reload, flashlight and cell phone.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:18   #163
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo R View Post
Any quality double paned windows, you can find them at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Osh, any of the big hardware stores or specialty shops but there you'll pay a lot more.

Professionally installed and with the window locks and pop out blocks that most of them come with i find it hard to believe that someone can sneak into your house at night without making a bunch of noise.

Quality double paned windows make an incredible amount of noise when broken, and it takes a lot to break one.

I think being proactive in your security goes a long way towards not having some two bit burgler sneak into your home in the middle of the night. And all the way into your bedroom?

HR
I was hoping you were referring to something more than all new windows.

That isn't in the budget.

The windows we have are not bad and would certainly make noise to break through. And then there is the monitored alarm. And the dogs.

But I was also hoping you were referring to something that would physically make it more difficult to break in, not just make noise in the process.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 05-17-2013, 12:52   #164
iflyem1

Quote:
To each his own.

I would rather spend my time focusing on things that keep me from needing to put rounds into a bad guy within 3 seconds of realizing he is there than worrying about how immediately I can start shooting. Having the intruder in your bedroom before you know it, or as you figure it out, is a failure IMO.

Also, personally, if I have that little bit of 'extra' time, I'm picking up the rifle that's in the corner.
So what do you spend your time focusing on when he is already in your bedroom?

If he is there regardless of how he got there, I don't want to waste time loading. I would rather already be loaded.

Then the question remains.........is your rifle loaded with a round in the chamber?
Old 05-17-2013, 13:05   #165
boilergonzo

Mag in, but no round in chamber. In a bedside safe. Two extra mags, Insight M6 light on gun, Nextorch backup handheld flashlight, and second pistol (in case wife needs one) are also in the safe (no extra mags for pistol #2).

I have young, inquisitive children. Cannot afford to have guns outside a safe EVER! They would not do anything... but I am not willing to test that theory!

No bullet in pipe for two reasons, 1.) fire if away from house, 2.) I can quickly reach into safe in pitch black without fear of trigger bump. Racking a slide is fast. I realize some would disagree, but prior to judging, consider other factors below.

All bedrooms are on the second floor, my room is at the very top of the stairs (access to kids goes through me!). Motion sensing nightlights are at both the bottom AND top of stairs in the hallways. Have an alarm system. Had a dog (sadly, just died) as additional alert.

Nobody could realistically get in and make it even to the bottom of the stairs prior to me getting into safe and being ready. I could tell when they passed the lower and upper lights while getting to, and coming up the stairs. Intruder would be illuminated by the hall motion activated night light, while I was safely in the dark waiting. Plenty of time, plenty of heavy cover for me. None for bad guys.

I am sure I will never need it.

For those married with young children, motion sensing hall lights also serve to alert married couples to the approach of little ones who wake in the night to come to your room unexpectedly...
Old 05-17-2013, 13:40   #166
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyem1 View Post
So what do you spend your time focusing on when he is already in your bedroom?
That is so unlikely as to not even plan for. If I thought it was likely enough to worry about, I would take steps to prevent it from happening before I worked on what to do if it happened.

But if you followed along you would know that my pistol is within arms reach of where I sleep and is fully loaded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyem1 View Post
If he is there regardless of how he got there, I don't want to waste time loading. I would rather already be loaded.

Then the question remains.........is your rifle loaded with a round in the chamber?
"Cruiser ready". Prepped mag inserted in rifle, action closed, safety on, empty chamber.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 05-17-2013 at 13:41..
Old 05-17-2013, 14:27   #167
SFCSMITH(RET)

My "bedside Glock" is a Colt Combat Commander, locked and loaded.

Now my pantry Glock, and my linen closet Glock, and my drinking glasses shelf Glock..

all with one in the chamber.

Oh and the aquarium stand glock.. it's got one in the chamber too.
Old 05-17-2013, 14:30   #168
Glockman454

My Glock is ready. Just aim and pull trigger. I do have a rail-mounted light on it.

If I think the situation warrants something bigger, I have a 870 next to the bed loaded but not chambered.

Will Work for Ammo

Last edited by Glockman454; 05-17-2013 at 14:31.. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-17-2013, 17:25   #169
JohnnyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo R View Post
Wow, there are a lot of you guys that think the bad guy is going to be IN YOUR ROOM and then YOU'LL HAVE TO TO DRAW AND SHOOT?

Yikes!

First of all, how about keeping them OUT of your room in the first place, how about keeping them OUT of your abode???

Buy a Chihuahua or a guard parrot or maybe even a good security alarm system? How about good doors and windows and good door lock(s) AND door and window blocks?

Rant over.

I keep my G17L in an old American Security push button handgun safe (which I can open in the dark half asleep) with a full magazine, empty chamber, decocked. I've trained myself to work the action as soon as it comes out of the safe. Attached to the 17L is a Surefire X200 white light.

I also have my G26 (my EDC) in a fanny pack with wallet and creds case in case of 'the big one' hits in the middle of the night when I'm in my chonies.

I've never had to pull the 17L out of the safe for real...I have pulled the G26 twice for people that were banging on my front door. Both 'needed' stuff and both stuck around long enough to end up explaining to the cops what the heck they were doing banging on my door.

I have two Chow mutts in the back which are loud and obnoxious upon noticing anything in the alley...and yes, I have a Chihuahua mutt in the front (gated) patio area that gets kenneled at night in the foyer.

With those precautions I find it hard to believe anybody could get to my bedroom (oh did I mention? I lock my bedroom door!) much less be hovering over me when I wake up. If that ninja does get there, then I figure I'm dead anyway.

JM2C, HR
I was just responding to the OP's narrowly-focused query. I think we all believe in defense-in-depth. But I am not going to rely on any or all of those layers of defense to ensure that I am awake let alone alert should a bad guy get in the house, never mind breach my sleeping chamber. I don't care if he gets that far by some stroke of luck, skill, or whatever. I just don't want my pistol sitting out there for him to grab if he does get in and I am still fast asleep. Under the pillow is too close to me for comfort. On the nightstand, too easy to lose control. Between the mattress and box spring, close enough for me to grab, but hard for the bad guy to go after without alerting me.
Old 05-17-2013, 17:49   #170
mjw357

on the nightstand, ready to go. no use any other way.
Old 05-17-2013, 17:51   #171
mongo44

For HD I keep everything loaded and ready to go. Glock is loaded with one in the pipe and an extra mag. Shotgun loaded with 00 buck one in the pipe and safety on and two slugs in the speedfeed stock. SKS with safety on.

Both the SKS and shotgun live in the closet since I don't have little ones at house anymore.
Old 05-17-2013, 18:15   #172
G23G21

I'm not saying is or is not. However, only the home invader will know for sure which it is!
Old 05-17-2013, 19:16   #173
brokenprism

Quote:
Home protection is about a LOT more than having a firearm.

In my opinion, if you are that concerned about an intruder being in your bedroom before you have a chance to wake up and reach for your nightstand, you are doing it wrong.

An alarm, preferably monitored, on all doors and windows should be an immediate step one.
You're not wrong by any means. I have to buy some alarms like that -- it's a rental. I have a bedroom door lock, which I use. Can't have a dog, wish I could. I agree that if I'm waking up and someone is already in the room, I'm forked.

Last edited by brokenprism; 05-17-2013 at 19:16..
Old 05-17-2013, 19:19   #174
M&M

G30 loaded with one in the pipe on top of my Bible with a flashlight right beside it.
Old 05-17-2013, 19:19   #175
punkglock
Freedom Lover

when i was a kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper005 View Post
I'm pretty sure I will get some grief for this but I keep my 21SF in a small safe next to my bed with the magazines loaded but not in the gun. I've always felt most comfortable and safest doing it this way. Thank God nothing has happened to me or my family for me to test the time it takes to load the pistol and be totally prepared for a confrontation. Just curious, what is the set-up for your bedside gun ?? I've heard some people sleep with a loaded gun underneath their pillow...yikes !!
My mom used to do that. It was a bad neighborhood, dad worked 2nd-3rd doubles, and it was a 44 magnum revolver so it made sense at the time.

I guess my point is this depends on comfort level and your situation...I sleep with my G17, 33rd mag and light/laser combo on the nightstand. Even though I could safely have one in the chamber with the safety system on these guns, I don't feel as comfortable with it. I'm not in a war zone (though S can HTF anytime to be sure) so slightly more safety is worth having to rack the slide...I also have a full alarm, so no one's getting in any door/window without making a lot of noise.

If I had kids around, aside from training them in firearms safety very early (who knows when they'll come across a gun somewhere else), I would change things a bit and lock up the gun in one of the biometric safes. Quick to unlock, but more peace of mind around the young and curious.

Growing up (even after moving out of the slums requiring 44 magnums under pillows), my family always had short and long guns around...loaded. My dad's belief was "what good are they if they're not loaded?" and "there's no substitute for talking to your kids honestly". So I don't think there's a right or wrong way...but again, more about your comfort level and situation.
Old 05-17-2013, 20:04   #176
Jim S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed View Post
Members are invited to post, showing what they have on a night stand, and you ridicule him. 77,000 posts, and it cumulates in this?
I didn't see his answer as ridiculing him. It was just an answer to what amounts to a very unusual way to keep a home defense weapon.
Others questioned it and made comments about it.
So you take it upon yourself to be the forum P.C. Police or what?
Now, like the man said it is a public forum and you can state your opinion freely but you were wrong to call him out like that. Mostly because you were mistaken with what you assumed he was saying.
Perhaps if you stick around long enough to get to know people you would find out that this guy has never ridiculed anyone.
Old 05-17-2013, 20:06   #177
COYBOY

Kids Possibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
If you're keeping it unloaded, what's the point of the safe?
Maybe he has little Kids and wants to be safe.
Old 05-17-2013, 21:51   #178
SK2344

My bedside gun is my G 26 with the 12 rnd magazine and it is always loaded with one in the chamber. All 4 of my glocks are always loaded and ready to fire.
Old 05-17-2013, 22:23   #179
Ryan WA

Mines loaded and ready to go whether its on me or next to my bed. C1. I will be the first to admit though there was a time when I carried C3 when I first got the gun until I built up my confidence that I would not accidentally cause an ND when unholstering under stress.

Practice, build your muscle memory and your confidence. That's my suggestion.

A quick access safe may be a good idea to store the gun in when it's not on your if you have young kids. In which case I'd go C1 in the quick access safe. Just make sure you practice opening it, quickly in the dark.

Last edited by Ryan WA; 05-17-2013 at 22:25..
Old 05-17-2013, 22:57   #180
Indianashooter

Locked and Loaded G 19 in holsters, with a Surefire LED sitting next to it. Some years ago during a nasty custody fight, my AR would be leaning on the wall next to the bed.

Closed Thread