Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:01   #61
Glockcubed

G20 or G21gen4, holstered, on bed side table, full mag, 1 in the pipe, always. No kids.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:02   #62
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper005 View Post
Why does anyone keep anything in a safe ?? My main reasons are wandering kids...houseguests and maybe a theft deterrent if we are not in the house.
Ok, then why in the world would you keep it unloaded if its in a safe and its for home defense?

People can do whatever they want, as far as I'm concerned. Its not my problem. However, since you brought the topic up, I'm just curious...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:03   #63
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper005 View Post
I have always felt most comfortable with the mags loaded but not in the gun. for me, I know exactly where the bullets are.I guess my thought is that if I did hear someone in the house and I was kind of awake, It would not take me very long to get my gun and load it. I think I would actually be scared to be holding a loaded gun if I'm not fully awake. Thats just me though...

You have to be awake enough to open the safe, so...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08   #64
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post
Where I live, it's the law.
Wherever that is, I'm glad I'm not there.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:32   #65
donmor53

A fully loaded and completely hot G23 with a M3 Tac light and spare mag on top of the nightstand on my side of the bed and a fully loaded and hot G19 and spare mag on my wife's side in the nightstand drawer.

I keep and intend to grab the spare mag just in case of some sort of a feeding issue. Rather than spending time attempting to determine the cause...I simply eject the troublesome mag and insert the new one.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14   #66
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

Loaded, chambered, TLR-1 attached...ready for whatever goes bump in the night.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:37   #67
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by radial View Post
So, rack the slide, light up the potential target, verify the threat, shoot until threat is neutralized. Does anyone ever drill the bedroom intruder scenario? I've done it a couple of times and it was an eye-opener. I don't know about other people, but my brain takes a while to go from deep sleep to competent self defense. My sleepy brain has some trouble with the fine motor skills required to bring a handgun into play under these circumstances. Also with making quick and accurate threat assessments so I don't shoot a family member or some other innocent who stumbled into the kill zone by accident. I feel like I need to practice this a lot more. As always, the hardware is the easy part.
I figure the dogs will give me time to wake up. The German Shepherd is especially territorial and pretty much lacks social skills, a trait I admire. It doesn't look good for the bad guy(s)!

Richard
Old 05-14-2013, 09:48   #68
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I don't follow or understand the logic in that, but, if it works for you...
I will try and explain. It is mostly about adding extra safety with a very small loss in readiness while avoiding unneeded hassles.

The guns I CC are loaded with one in the chamber. They are in a holster - because that is how I carry them.

When I get home - and remove my CC gun (from IWB) - I put it in a small safe (downstairs) - no reason to mess with unloading it - because I will be using it again as a CC gun.

Why remove it from the holster? Why mess with unloading it? Gun is in a safer condition to handle - because it is in its holster. The small amount of time and effort it would take to remove the gun from its holster (if I needed it) is worth it VS the added safety it provides.

The guns I keep in a safe (upstairs bedroom) - are more for bump in the night duty.

I unlock the safe door before bed - so if I must get to a gun in the night - all I need to do is open the door.

Since these guns (pistols, rifles, shotguns) are not in a holster - I don't keep one in the chamber.

Is it safer to have an empty chamber when a gun is not holstered?

I think so - and the small amount of time and effort it takes me to rack the slide - or pump a round - into the chamber (if I needed it) is worth it VS the added safety it provides.

I understand there are always trade offs between having quick access to a gun if you need it VS safety.

This balance works for me.

I know that when I grab a gun out of my upstairs safe - it will not be in a holster and will have an empty chamber.

I know that every gun in my small downstairs safe is in a holster and is fully loaded ready to fire.

It also gives me a a standard - no reason to wonder - is the gun loaded? Does it have one in the chamber? Did I unload it and put it back in the holster?

Last edited by Z71bill; 05-14-2013 at 09:51..
Old 05-14-2013, 10:03   #69
brokenprism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
So... your Glock with a round chambered is actually in bed with you under the covers? Those safeties must really work!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
It's in a zippered rug. That better? : )
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27   #70
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Loaded and ready to go in a holster.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:31   #71
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
Glock 23, one in the hole, flashlight, spare mag. The gun is usually in bed under the covers. If I'm sleeping soundly and someone does get into the room, there's no sense presenting him with a gun on the nightstand like cookies for Santa.

Every now and then I sleep on my arm and it's a useless piece of meat when I wake up. To move it, I have to use my other hand. Sketchy. Imagine trying to rack one in under those conditions...
Home protection is about a LOT more than having a firearm.

In my opinion, if you are that concerned about an intruder being in your bedroom before you have a chance to wake up and reach for your nightstand, you are doing it wrong.

An alarm, preferably monitored, on all doors and windows should be an immediate step one. It doesn't even have to be fancy. When I was a college student living in apartments, and shortly after graduating when I was rather poor, I just bought the little battery powered audible alarms you can get at Walmart, many other stores, online, Amazon, etc, and put them on every door and window.

Dogs are great.

Securely locked doors and windows are a given.

At the minimum.

Example:

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 05-14-2013, 15:29   #72
redscho

Night stand glock 19 is loaded, one in the chamber with Safe-T-Blok, two spare mags and a whitelight next to it. Kids long gone. All firearms are secured whenever children visit.

Last edited by redscho; 06-02-2013 at 17:42..
Old 05-14-2013, 15:34   #73
iflyem1

Keep a G23 with one in the pipe in a box on my nightstand. Does no good if it's not loaded!
Old 05-14-2013, 16:01   #74
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyem1 View Post
Keep a G23 with one in the pipe in a box on my nightstand. Does no good if it's not loaded!
That's why people who don't keep them loaded probably keep a magazine in or near the gun. So that they can quickly load it.

Absolutely a viable solution and a reasonable choice for most people.

Last edited by Warp; 05-14-2013 at 16:02..
Old 05-14-2013, 16:08   #75
wired1

Glock 23 in the nightstand drawer. Mag loaded, one in the pipe and a Glock Tech holster. Flashlight on the the stand too. Full alarm system and CCTV in and out. I really like the Glock Tech with the long cord on it. Fits secure and easy to remove. My opinion it's easier to remove one handed than rack a round if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2013, 16:11   #76
kirbinster

When I got my first gun, a Glock G22, I kept it in my biometric safe by the bed with 15 in the mag but an empty chamber. I took a two day defensive handgun course and developed a lot more confidence and learned that I really should keep it chambered. So now it is loaded with 15+1 in the safe. The safe is a biometric but also has a numeric keypad just in case. I have an alarm system, two siberian huskies and a child proof gate to the bedroom to keep the dogs out. I would have plenty of notice to get the gun out of the safe if ever needed. BTW I keep a super bright LED flashlight on top of the safe at all times.
Old 05-14-2013, 16:16   #77
ezdaar

I live alone so a few things are diff for me.

my setup.
Loaded, one in the pipe, along with light sitting Under my other pillow.
Vest under bed with spare mags and light on its front, no need to give a bad guy my gun if he makes it into my room with out me knowing.
I've read a few stories about ppl waking up to see their own pistol pointed at them that was placed on their night stand.

I have practiced extensively and use small motion lights placed in select spots around the inside of the house that will warn me if anyone is moving around, that's IF I don't hear them first.
I have them in a pattern that allows me to move through the house in complete darkness but a intruder will be lit up.

Last edited by ezdaar; 05-14-2013 at 16:18..
Old 05-14-2013, 17:02   #78
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdaar View Post
I live alone so a few things are diff for me.

my setup.
Loaded, one in the pipe, along with light sitting Under my other pillow.
Vest under bed with spare mags and light on its front, no need to give a bad guy my gun if he makes it into my room with out me knowing.
I've read a few stories about ppl waking up to see their own pistol pointed at them that was placed on their night stand.

I have practiced extensively and use small motion lights placed in select spots around the inside of the house that will warn me if anyone is moving around, that's IF I don't hear them first.
I have them in a pattern that allows me to move through the house in complete darkness but a intruder will be lit up.
They were doing it wrong.

Old 05-14-2013, 17:06   #79
wingryder

G21, fully loaded, holstered on a bedside table. 2 mags in drawer. Monitored alarm installed with house.

I will be upgrading to a under table magnet once we get new Bedroom furniture.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by wingryder; 05-14-2013 at 17:08..
Old 05-14-2013, 17:07   #80
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
I keep it simple - unless I am shooting it

If a pistol is fully loaded with one in the chamber - it is in a holster.

If it has a full mag - empty chamber - no holster.

Been doing it this way for as long s I can remember - and am too old to change now.

Bump in the night I grab my G21 out of the ALREADY UNLOCKED safe - no holster so I know the slide need a good hard RACKING.

If I am downstairs - several 9MM that I use for CC in a quick open safe - all in a holster - so I know - no need to rack the slide - pull out of holster and point and click.

^^^
This. Great way to standardize. If my grandkids (3 and 5) are home, it is always empty chamber if not on my person. There is no way either one can rack the slide on a G17. Bedtime its under my pillow. Kids not home, chamber loaded in holster under pillow. Always spare magazine beside it. Flashlight on floor beside bed.

Closed Thread