Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 18:29   #361
kshutt

Loaded, chambered and ready...
Old 06-14-2013, 19:11   #362
HolyHandGrenade

Last edited by HolyHandGrenade; 06-15-2013 at 07:10..
Old 06-14-2013, 20:33   #363
Russian_916

Always loaded
Old 06-14-2013, 22:33   #364
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

Chambered and on my desk. No safe, no kids, no problem.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:25   #365
ratf51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
Dillon 550B mounted to my nightstand with brass, primers, powder, and bullets at the ready.
Old 06-15-2013, 14:19   #366
Chowser

handguns are always loaded. in safe or not in safe.
shotguns and rifles have tube/mag loaded, but nothing in chamber and safety off.

it's just the way my department does it and we train that way, so I do the same at home.
Old 06-15-2013, 15:21   #367
ChallengerSRT

You guys that have your guns ready to go with one round chambered on your nightstand better not piss off your wives unless you sleep with one eye open.
Old 06-15-2013, 15:45   #368
72Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHandGrenade View Post
Best user name ever :D

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Old 06-15-2013, 20:27   #369
Riversub

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilergonzo View Post
I have already described why I WILL have time if attacked a night... so the "having time" argument is projecting their situation on me, and it doesn't apply.

You can read earlier why I am confident I will have PLENTY of time. What is clear-cut "right" for them doesn't fit for me.

Some don't use safes. I have young children. How can that plan be a good plan for me? It might be perfect for them, but NOT for me.

I can happily accept folks saying "loaded is the only way I do it", but somehow the reverse isn't holding up. Some seem to think it HAS to be loaded, otherwise I am doing protection wrong (no better than a brick comments, etc.).

I am curious if the ones saying loaded is the only way have alarms. Or dogs. Or multiple motion sensing lights in the hall and stairs. Or all upstairs bedrooms. Or inquisitive kids. Or know a child who has died due to an accidental shooting.

I do not shower with a gun within reach. If they come for me there, I will probably die. Putting a safe in the shower is impractical, and carrying a safe around is silly (rust, weight, the extension cord for the GoldenRod /dessicant regeneration, having hands for the towel, etc. ). Oh.. and the kids... they have questions or want something even when daddy is in the shower (the nerve!).

So I will concede, a "Stealth Shower Attack" may be the end of me. That and worry about falling airplane parts while showering get equal mental fretting and energy.

So... for those more comfortable to be armed while showering... the question is:

maritime cups, or no? The bad guy might not give you time to exit the shower. And turning off the water would waste time (more than racking a slide). Yes, yes! I am getting silly!

Point is... unloaded for me works great. Please don't tell me my way is wrong for me. I know firemen, and some have dealt with rounds cooking off and being fired if in a loaded gun. Not common, but that tiny risk alone outweighs any advantage of one in the chamber (for me). Remember, I have PLENTY of time... so the hierarchy of priorities has to be weighed. If I lived on the first floor with a window, I would certainly flip the priority because I no longer have time, and would load (in the safe due to kids, but even that could be a problem... but in the hierarchy, kid risks trumps chance of break-in).

It is fun to read how everyone else handles these things. Chance to learn.
If the gun is in the safe - no chance of accidental discharge by the kids. I just don't understand why you wouldn't tilt the odds in your favor by keeping it condition zero? You can think of many scenarios where you have time - until you come accross the one you hadn't considered. Your finger is the best safety. Practice until you are comfortable/confident.

BTW - I have dogs and children. The dogs do a great job of giving me some time when something is not right. Enough time to retrieve my g19 from my bedside safe. If a BG was really coming down my hallway towards my family I don't want to have to worry about whether the rack brought the round to battery.

Last edited by Riversub; 06-15-2013 at 20:34..
Old 06-15-2013, 20:42   #370
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
All of mine are fully loaded.
Amen! +1!
Doug - The necessary consequence of man’s right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative. | Ayn Rand - “The Nature of Government,” The Virtue of Selfishness, 108

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."
Old 06-15-2013, 21:06   #371
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerSRT View Post
You guys that have your guns ready to go with one round chambered on your nightstand better not piss off your wives unless you sleep with one eye open.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-18-2013, 15:40   #372
boilergonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversub View Post
If the gun is in the safe - no chance of accidental discharge by the kids. I just don't understand why you wouldn't tilt the odds in your favor by keeping it condition zero? You can think of many scenarios where you have time - until you come accross the one you hadn't considered. Your finger is the best safety. Practice until you are comfortable/confident.

BTW - I have dogs and children. The dogs do a great job of giving me some time when something is not right. Enough time to retrieve my g19 from my bedside safe. If a BG was really coming down my hallway towards my family I don't want to have to worry about whether the rack brought the round to battery.
Fair points. You neglected the not-home-during-fire situation. I view that as more likely than a home invasion at night while sleeping. If we were able to generate a table of people murdered in their beds at night by intruders versus house fires that burn the bedroom, I'd wager house fires are by far the more common.

I am NOT saying my way is right for anyone else. If you saw my house, you'd probably feel pretty confident regarding time, too (breaking glass from the pool area - with alarms - and going through three separate rooms, one foyer, one multi-level stairwell, and sprinting down a hallway is the SHORTEST path to my family!). So... I am pretty confident regarding time. I do realize my house is probably pretty unique in that regard (perhaps bordering on odd, depending upon your viewpoint... a late 60's French Provincial-ish house with a flat mansard roof!).

I am not opposed to one in the chamber. I carry that way. But I do not leave guns loaded in safes. For those that always load, I am curious if they press check/feel chamber loaded indicators, or just fly into a defensive situation confident that the chamber is loaded and trusting memory and habit. Racking to chamber is better in my mind than either of those. I will concede, that if you have a strict ritual (say, a police officer disarming for the night), and you KNOW your gun, loaded chamber is faster. But, I value speed less than many.

As I said, if I lived on the first floor, I would absolutely have one in the chamber... priorities shift!

But I don't.

I do have glasses, backup glasses, corded phone (quick 911 dial, then set down), cell phones (mobile/backup), gun light, handheld flashlights, alarm call button, spare mags, spare gun, and an alarm system, all at the nightstand.

In addition, I have an escape ladder, fire extinguishers, multiple CO and smoke detectors (with lights), motion sensors, etc.

I am not opposed to one in chamber, and have done that in the past. For now, losing one round of capacity is of minor concern. I know many firemen who would respond to a fire at my house, and their safety (and the well-being of their wives and kids) actually carries personal weight with me...

To each their own!
Old 06-18-2013, 18:42   #373
JackMac

Loaded of course, laser site ready when the grip is squeezed.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:32   #374
dalejbrass

I have several fully loaded guns stashed about the house via gun magnets. Statistically, those who don't have a locked and loaded weapon is going to lose a fight with the bad guy(s).
Old 06-19-2013, 08:55   #375
Spike52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalejbrass View Post
I have several fully loaded guns stashed about the house via gun magnets. Statistically, those who don't have a locked and loaded weapon is going to lose a fight with the bad guy(s).
Keen observation, dale.

"An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity."
-C.S.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:03   #376
On An Island

The guns (rifles, shotguns & handguns) in the safe are stored with empty mags/clips and chambers. My SD/HD guns are Condition 1 or Condition 2 depending on the gun.

No kids in the house. They're grown and shoot their own collections.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:57   #377
Spike52

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper005 View Post
I'm pretty sure I will get some grief for this but I keep my 21SF in a small safe next to my bed with the magazines loaded but not in the gun. I've always felt most comfortable and safest doing it this way. Thank God nothing has happened to me or my family for me to test the time it takes to load the pistol and be totally prepared for a confrontation. Just curious, what is the set-up for your bedside gun ?? I've heard some people sleep with a loaded gun underneath their pillow...yikes !!
Hi vyper,

Nice thread. I applaud you for striving to maintain stringent safety practices. Opinions on form vary (obviously).

I'd like to submit something to you for your consideration. I mean the physiological changes your body undergoes under stress. That is, what happens to you in those chilling moments like after you're startled awake and realize, "Oh God, someone's in the house!". It has nothing to do with my opinion.

Your heartrate increases and blood vessels constrict. Your mouth goes dry - palms are wet. Respiration increases to supply more oxygen to a brain engaging into fight-or-flight mode. Hearing and visual acuity sharpen and focus to a tunnel effect. The brain triggers adrenaline production; physical strength goes through the roof. Fine motor skills crumble. What was a simple action becomes maddeningly complex. Left is right - right is left.

In short, your brain wants to turn you into the animal you need to be.

Now... let's click that black rectangular thingy into the hole of about the same size and manipulate the slide. Do it quickly. Do it correctly. And - please - do try to be quiet.

I'll shut up now. :p Thanks for reading. Just trying to draw a small word picture.

"It's science, Wyatt!"

General Glocking

Or you could just put a bra on your head and try to create Kelly LeBrock...

-S

Last edited by Spike52; 06-19-2013 at 13:20..
Old 06-19-2013, 20:17   #378
AZ_Quailhunter
NRA Life Member

G19....loaded...one in the chamber...holstered in the night stand.
Old 06-19-2013, 22:20   #379
ncglock30

G36 in the bedside stand chambered with enough to get me to my Remington 870 shotgun 6 feet away loaded with 00 buckshot
Old 06-20-2013, 08:10   #380
zgar

since I live alone, no kids, no wife, I keep my home protection gun my Glock 21 Gen 4 under my side pillow loaded with TLR 1, ready to go to each its own remember safety 1st

Closed Thread