Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 19:00   #201
10mmG20

Glock 20 loaded one in pipe flashlight next to it in top open drawer of night stand with my backup glock 29 loaded one in pipe in the 2nd drawer
Old 05-18-2013, 19:59   #202
GP-Pirate

G19 w/ TruGlo NFO sights, Crimson Trace Lasergrips and light. Fully loaded and chambered plus a spare mag next to the gun.
Old 05-18-2013, 21:22   #203
onesock73

Glock 20 one in the pipe loaded mag in speedvault next to bed. Vault gets unlocked when I go to bed and relocked when I get out.

Other bio safes around the house just in case, all loaded.
Old 05-18-2013, 23:18   #204
boilergonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockinNJ View Post
THIS!

I would add one thing that we should all be doing regardless of how we keep our arms ready... practice like it's real.

Lay in bed in the dark, pop up, access your safe if you have one, make your gun ready (dummy rounds) and dry fire in the sight lines you have in your house, especially the most likely approach, e.g. hallway.

Boilergonzo: sorry about your dog, man.
Thanks for the thought. She was a good dog! Will have another at some point, but a bit too much chaos to have time to dedicate to a puppy!

I do like the motion sensing night lights. Kids, bad guys, etc. I can tell not only where people are, and be alerted as they are moving around, but I can also tell where people trying to hide have been.

Hide and seek with dad is no fun. He wins fast! He knows tricks the kids haven't figured out yet! And the new LED motion lights are fantastic! Probably have fifteen scattered around the house!
Old 05-18-2013, 23:19   #205
thedave8

nightstand, full mag and one in the chamber....sometimes xtra mag, sometimes not
I love the gentle glow of the nightsites as I fade off to sleep...
Old 05-18-2013, 23:22   #206
rolltide_pisco
NRA Life Member

Glock 19 Gen4 loaded on nightstand. If that doesn't work, reach in the drawer and grab either the 23 or 27
Old 05-19-2013, 01:16   #207
JuneyBooney

I have a loaded with none in the pipe firearm next to me at all times while sleeping. I do it that way so the animals cannot kick the fun down or grab it and have it go off by accident. I also have some loaded with rounds in the chamber since I live alone. The problem with a gun in the safe is that it will take entirely too long to get it when under the severe stress and adrenaline situation during a home invasion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30   #208
JackMac

loaded G21 on nitestand
Old 05-19-2013, 10:24   #209
RBMoon

G26 loaded and chambered.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:35   #210
punkglock
Freedom Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Just asking - not criticizing -

Why is "with just one hand" important in this situation?

I unlock my (bedroom) safe before I go to bed -

Because of my experience with my home alarm going off one night - and even though I have a quick open safe - that I have opened thousands of times - one that I can open with my eyes closes in a couple seconds - beep beep beep - crap I did it wrong - beep beep crap I need to clear the code before I enter the right one - crap - why is this taking so long!

It was a false alarm - but taught me that crap happens.
A lot of good points from everyone here. I feel it's about practice and finding the right balance for your own situation. For me that's somewhere within reach, with loaded magazine, but nothing in the chamber to avoid ND with adrenaline pumping. Racking the slide under stress is something I practice, and my comfort spot.

However, whatever you decide, I think it's worth thinking about the amount of skill required under duress. Fine motor skills (like punching numbers on a keypad or getting rounds into a magazine) are shown to go out the window when we're afraid for our lives, so it's better to find a solution that only requires gross motor skills (racking the slide is just one example).
Old 05-19-2013, 11:43   #211
Cirdan

Guns in a safe in the Bedroom closet. New safe with a digital combo so it won't take long to open.

Magazine loaded with JHP in the gun, but no round in the chamber.

The argument against having a loaded magazine is that I have a barely controlled urge to rack the slide whenever I pick up the gun. The idea is to check that it's safe, but with the mag in, that just chambers a round. Exactly the opposite of what I'm trying to do.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:50   #212
SNH Glocks

My SD/HD guns are always loaded. That is the whole point of a SD/HD weapon IMO.
Old 05-19-2013, 13:06   #213
97harley

G-21 loaded, one in the chamber, 13 more ready in the nightstand drawer and I leave my safe un-locked since it's in our walk in closet so I have access to a shot-gun plus all my other weapons. Having the safe in our bedroom closet is perfect, I unlock it before bed, put away my edc and bring out the G21. When I wake up, I put it away and grab my EDC and lock the safe for the day. I don't have small children so I feel okay with this arrangement.
Old 05-19-2013, 14:20   #214
punkglock
Freedom Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97harley View Post
G-21 loaded, one in the chamber, 13 more ready in the nightstand drawer and I leave my safe un-locked since it's in our walk in closet so I have access to a shot-gun plus all my other weapons. Having the safe in our bedroom closet is perfect, I unlock it before bed, put away my edc and bring out the G21. When I wake up, I put it away and grab my EDC and lock the safe for the day. I don't have small children so I feel okay with this arrangement.
Sounds like a great setup. Life is so much simper without kids...if only someone would tell my wife this.

(I didn't say cheaper, because until real kids arrive...I view my guns as my kids...and love to spoil them. )

|
|
|

We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training. Archilochus, ca. 650 BC
Old 05-19-2013, 15:49   #215
FAS1
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Just asking - not criticizing -

Why is "with just one hand" important in this situation?
GRT45 pretty much said it in this response:

"Fend off the intruder with one arm to deploy the pistol with a round already chambered."

Also for me, I sleep on my left side facing the edge of my bed and my handgun safe is on the side of my bed right next to my pillow. You can imagine how easy it is for me to reach with one hand and be ready as opposed to needing my left hand for something.

Half the time I am laying on my left arm and it's asleep when I wake up. I probably couldn't rack the slide with it right when I wake up.

"The Fast and Secure One"
Link to Facebook:
Old 05-19-2013, 18:07   #216
baximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole9497 View Post
I sleep with my G22 Gen 4 in my hand, one in the pipe, under the pillow. Nightmares get interesting!

No, I actually keep it on the night stand, mag in, empty pipe, spare mag next to it.

my setup exactly
Old 05-19-2013, 18:07   #217
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper005 View Post
I'm pretty sure I will get some grief for this but I keep my 21SF in a small safe next to my bed with the magazines loaded but not in the gun. I've always felt most comfortable and safest doing it this way. Thank God nothing has happened to me or my family for me to test the time it takes to load the pistol and be totally prepared for a confrontation. Just curious, what is the set-up for your bedside gun ?? I've heard some people sleep with a loaded gun underneath their pillow...yikes !!
Well, ....... I would be one of those who sleeps with his Glock underneath his pillow.

'Why'? Because, in part, I don't like air-conditioning; we live in a ranch-style home; and many of our windows are quite large, and easily entered from ground-level. I keep my EDC Glock in C-3; and I'm as fast with it as I've ever needed to be.

This is the Internet; and the above might NOT be good advice for someone who is not as experienced with Glock pistols-in-particular, and firearms-in-general as I am.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 05-19-2013 at 18:10..
Old 05-19-2013, 18:23   #218
wuvmyglock

And I never put any gas in my car either... I park it in the garage on empty and keep a couple 5 gallon cans ready to go. When it is time to head-out with the family I toss in a couple gallons.

That makes about as much sense as an empty handgun..
Old 05-19-2013, 18:39   #219
xray678

G22 loaded and chambered with a spare mag in a gun vault under the bed, with a flashlight on the bedside table.
Old 05-19-2013, 21:25   #220
boilergonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuvmyglock View Post
And I never put any gas in my car either... I park it in the garage on empty and keep a couple 5 gallon cans ready to go. When it is time to head-out with the family I toss in a couple gallons.

That makes about as much sense as an empty handgun..
To extend your analogy, do you leave the keys in your car? And do you leave the engine running all the time?

Finding keys, and turning the ignition both take time, right?! I have "gas in the tank" (loaded magazines), but I stop short of leaving the keys in the ignition or idling the engine...

I am not saying your way is wrong (it is absolutely right for you, and I applaud you for your opinion, and respect it).

However, for some of us, racking a slide takes seconds, or a safe is a necessity due to children. To each their own.

I like my motion sensing night lights. I guarantee that you can't get in and up the stairs to my room prior to me being ready AND have 911 listening in. Since I am confident in that... what is wrong with me thinking of my family, firemen, neighbors, etc., and not having a round in the chamber in case there is a fire (my bedside safe is not a fire safe, and would not stop a 357SIG or 10mm round... will yours?). What is wrong with racking a slide if you have plenty of time, and you have the luxury of contemplating other concerns?

To each their own, but I am very comfortable with my setup. The lights at the stairs and landing, the two phones in the bedroom (corded and cordless, in addition to our cell phones) to call 911, etc., and heavy cover with an easily defended position. Keeping with clockwise ascending stair logic applied in ancient castles, I even have hand dominance from my position (assuming bad guy is right-handed... if not, it is neutral).

We all have to find what we are comfortable with, and we will all arrive at very different conclusions. It is fair to discuss and debate, but in the end, we all reserve the right to do what we think is best. No round in chamber for me when not being actively carried.

Last edited by boilergonzo; 05-19-2013 at 21:28..

Closed Thread