GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-22-2013, 13:29   #251
Brandonsc

Similar to leadontarget, I have a G23 with rail light and two full mags in safe in nightstand, I open the safe before going to sleep. In the safe there is also a key to trigger lock on the Rem870 under my mattress. It it loaded tube, empty chamber, safety on. That way I have immediate access to a weapon, but have an option for the wife as well if things were really bad.
Brandonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 16:03   #252
svtpwnz

I keep my G29sf loaded condition C3 in the night stand with two full spare mags and flashlight. My rule of thumb is if my pistol is not holstered or being used at the range then it stays in C3. As soon as I get up and dressed it gets a round chambered and holstered IWB.

Last edited by svtpwnz; 05-22-2013 at 16:28.. Reason: spelling
svtpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 16:33   #253
Ranger45

Gen4 G21 loaded (13+1) with tactical light on top of the night stand. Directly below is a mag carrier with two additional 13 round mags, plus a 30 round PMAG for the Colt LE6920 standing in the corner four feet away.
Ranger45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 16:48   #254
JohnnyE

I can't resist asking those of you who keep a Glock with a round in the chamber under your pillow: how you can do it? Personally, I move around at night, usually just a little, occasionally a lot, and just one time, just once, I might hook a finger or thumb on the trigger and that could be the end of me. Is there something I'm missing?
JohnnyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 17:40   #255
kodiakpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
I can't resist asking those of you who keep a Glock with a round in the chamber under your pillow: how you can do it? Personally, I move around at night, usually just a little, occasionally a lot, and just one time, just once, I might hook a finger or thumb on the trigger and that could be the end of me. Is there something I'm missing?
Keeping a Glock with one in the chamber under a pillow with nothing protecting the trigger is retarded.
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:16   #256
Stvan1

SA XDM 3.8 compact 9 w/19 rounds and Viridan green laser/light on floor next to the bed. A Sig P220 on the far side of the bed under the pillow both are loaded, the Sig with the hammer down. I sleep with the door closed and probably wouldn't here a burglar til he opened my door so there would be little time to react. No children are at home. I usually only get 1 to 3 hours sleep a night, I have issues. When I had dogs I was not so prepared.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Sig 226 tacops
SA 1911 Loaded
SA XDm 3.8 9mm
SA XDs 45
Too many more
Stvan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 15:10   #257
vyper005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
What use is an unloaded gun when you need it?
If you need it, why cant you just load it ??

Last edited by vyper005; 05-23-2013 at 15:33..
vyper005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 15:26   #258
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper005 View Post
If you need it, cant you load it ??
For home defense, for most people, the answer is probably going to be "yes".

But it's a catchy little phrase to say something like "an unloaded/unchambered gun may as well be a brick".

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 18:39   #259
akronite

G26 topped off with 10+1, 24/7. No kids. Wife can shoot. Gun lays flat on floor at night between bed and night stand--I can just quietly reach down without moving the rest of my body, and I've got it. Surefire light handy. 24/7 Big Dot sights.
akronite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 19:24   #260
rl356

The old man had a saying...... an unloaded gun is no better than a stick.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
rl356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 19:48   #261
Riversub

Condition zero in a safe under my nightstand (house with tweens). I'm very comfortable with this setup - ready to go but hard to get to for the kids until I can get them out to the range.

I had the dogs jumping up and running to the front door when they heard a noise the other night around 2:30 am. From a dead sleep I was able to open the safe with my code and retrieve the G19 in less than 5 seconds. It was a great test of my setup.

I hope I never have to use my Glock in a SD situation but feel ready to answer the call and protect my family.
Riversub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 22:50   #262
Cirdan

Racking the slide doesn't take that much time. Besides, since you can't "cock" it, the sound might just give the bad guy a second thought.
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 22:56   #263
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan View Post
Racking the slide doesn't take that much time. Besides, since you can't "cock" it, the sound might just give the bad guy a second thought.
Or he could just shoot you....

There's really no reason not to keep your HD guns chambered.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:59   #264
HenryinFlorida

I guess what I would do would depend on my assessment of where the bad guys were at the time I heard them. If I heard them just comming through the front door I might think I had enough time to grab my 12ga from under the bed and rack one in the chamber. If they were close or at my bedroom door I would just go for my G27 with 15+1 loaded in the nightstand and blast away as necessary. If I heard them comming from a block away I might just go for the AR15 in the closet. Don't ask me how I would hear them a block away.....lol
HenryinFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:51   #265
TacticalTshirtsREP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper005 View Post
I'm pretty sure I will get some grief for this but I keep my 21SF in a small safe next to my bed with the magazines loaded but not in the gun. I've always felt most comfortable and safest doing it this way. Thank God nothing has happened to me or my family for me to test the time it takes to load the pistol and be totally prepared for a confrontation. Just curious, what is the set-up for your bedside gun ?? I've heard some people sleep with a loaded gun underneath their pillow...yikes !!
I keep my weapon loaded. I also keep a flash-light close-by. Your decision is not my choice, but we all have to find the means of our own salvation.

And having options doesn't hurt. I can't say with certainty my situation would NEVER change to be like yours.

In the end, you are responsible for administering your own gear. If you can justify your manual of arms, are competent with your manual of arms, you are good to go in my book.

And as long as every once in a while test your current philosophy to see if it needs updating, I don't see a problem.

TTR

Shooting guns and having fun.
TacticalTshirtsREP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:05   #266
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
Or he could just shoot you....

There's really no reason not to keep your HD guns chambered.
There are plenty of reasons a person might keep their HD gun unchambered.

Just because you don't want to do it that way that doesn't mean it isn't a good choice for somebody else.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 05-24-2013, 09:15   #267
TacticalTshirtsREP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post

Just because you don't want to do it that way that doesn't mean it isn't a good choice for somebody else.
Agreed.

TTR

Shooting guns and having fun.
TacticalTshirtsREP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:54   #268
mrslippery

Night Stand Tools

[QUOTE=vyper005;20289543]I'm pretty sure I will get some grief for this but I keep my 21SF in a small safe next to my bed with the magazines loaded but not in the gun. I've always felt most comfortable and safest doing it this way. Thank God nothing has happened to me or my family for me to test the time it takes to load the pistol and be totally prepared for a confrontation. Just curious, what is the set-up for your bedside gun ?? I've heard some people sleep with a loaded gun underneath their pillow...yikes !![/QUOTE

Gen3 22 loaded on the stand, with a flash lite and cell phone. G21sf loaded in the safe along with a loaded 38spl 10' away. I have no children in the house a night unless the grand children are over, then loaded in the safe. My pug dog hopefully will alarm me of a intruder, his big brother Glock will take care of the introduction. Slip.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:03   #269
F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper005
If you need it, cant you load it ??
Quote:
For home defense, for most people, the answer is probably going to be "yes".

But it's a catchy little phrase to say something like "an unloaded/unchambered gun may as well be a brick".
Unless you don't wake up till the intruder is standing at the foot of your bed, then it is "good luck chuck".

Last edited by F350; 05-24-2013 at 11:07..
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:07   #270
emerilnut

Quote:

Amen, unloaded (with full mag right next to it) for me is my choice because I have a 2 year old in the house. I keep the gun under the mattress until I actually buy a drawer safe for my night stand... In fact, I think I'll go order the drawer safe right now (was out of stock the last time I looked).
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18   #271
onesock73

If you do t want to keep it loaded. Why not get a gun with a mag disconnect. Like a Ruger SR9c. Keep one in the chamber and loaded mag beside it.

Just an option.
onesock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:20   #272
Inebriated

Quote:

It's not about want/don't want, it's about the fact that an ounce of effort will allow someone to keep their HD gun safely chambered.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 13:38   #273
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 View Post
Unless you don't wake up till the intruder is standing at the foot of your bed, then it is "good luck chuck".
If that is a reasonable possibility, you're doing it wrong.

Old 05-24-2013, 13:42   #274
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
It's not about want/don't want, it's about the fact that an ounce of effort will allow someone to keep their HD gun safely chambered.
It's about what you choose NOT always being the best choice for every other person in every situation.

Old 05-24-2013, 17:03   #275
QNman
Silver Membership
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerilnut View Post
Amen, unloaded (with full mag right next to it) for me is my choice because I have a 2 year old in the house. I keep the gun under the mattress until I actually buy a drawer safe for my night stand... In fact, I think I'll go order the drawer safe right now (was out of stock the last time I looked).
Never underestimate the cleverness or resourcefulness of a 2-year old. Hope that safe comes soon.
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote