Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2013, 23:39   #181
Hugo R
Gaff G26 User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I was hoping you were referring to something more than all new windows.

That isn't in the budget.

The windows we have are not bad and would certainly make noise to break through. And then there is the monitored alarm. And the dogs.

But I was also hoping you were referring to something that would physically make it more difficult to break in, not just make noise in the process.
Well I'll tell you, the double panes I was talking about take a lot to break. You'd need a baseball bat or a large heavy rock to break one and then it would sound like a gunshot.

But you're right, I wasn't referring to that. Although, I own my parents house in the barrio in Tucson. I have seen many people put bars on the windows and security screens on the doors at not too great a cost.

I don't like the look but for some people they mean the difference between feeling safe and secure or just allowing themselves to be violated.

I suppose money and location will eventually dictate how much one has to do to secure their home from burglers and home invasion robberies.

Like having immediate access to a firearm or keepig it loaded or not, it all depends on your own situation and how you choose to deal with it.

HR
Old 05-17-2013, 23:55   #182
Hugo R
Gaff G26 User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
I was just responding to the OP's narrowly-focused query. I think we all believe in defense-in-depth. But I am not going to rely on any or all of those layers of defense to ensure that I am awake let alone alert should a bad guy get in the house, never mind breach my sleeping chamber. I don't care if he gets that far by some stroke of luck, skill, or whatever. I just don't want my pistol sitting out there for him to grab if he does get in and I am still fast asleep. Under the pillow is too close to me for comfort. On the nightstand, too easy to lose control. Between the mattress and box spring, close enough for me to grab, but hard for the bad guy to go after without alerting me.
Not disagreeing with you at all. If that location is comfortable with you then all power to you. As a matter of fact, when I do worry about waking up to a goblin in the room (God forbid!) is when I'm sleeping in a hotel room. I don't trust the locks and door stops in hotels.

Take a wild guess where my loaded and chambered Glock is?Yep, between the matresses. At home its different because of the situation and safeguards. That's what it comes down to, situation and available safeguards. How safe do you feel and what condition are YOU in. The old color codes...condition white as opposed to condition orange/red?

Lastly, training also will dictate how you position your firearms. My EDC is always loaded and chambered. It's only unloaded for cleaning and then immediately reloaded.

My 17L which is my primary HD gun is always loaded but with an empty chamber and trigger decocked.

Massive amounts of repetitions and constant familiarity training keep me ready to properly employ either handgun if necessary.

So whatever your choice of weapon, condition and storage you choose, train a lot so that when you do need to defend yourself, especially coming out of a deep sleep, you'll do it safely and effectively.

HR
Old 05-18-2013, 06:27   #183
GlockinNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilergonzo View Post
Mag in, but no round in chamber. In a bedside safe. Two extra mags, Insight M6 light on gun, Nextorch backup handheld flashlight, and second pistol (in case wife needs one) are also in the safe (no extra mags for pistol #2).

I have young, inquisitive children. Cannot afford to have guns outside a safe EVER! They would not do anything... but I am not willing to test that theory!

No bullet in pipe for two reasons, 1.) fire if away from house, 2.) I can quickly reach into safe in pitch black without fear of trigger bump. Racking a slide is fast. I realize some would disagree, but prior to judging, consider other factors below.

All bedrooms are on the second floor, my room is at the very top of the stairs (access to kids goes through me!). Motion sensing nightlights are at both the bottom AND top of stairs in the hallways. Have an alarm system. Had a dog (sadly, just died) as additional alert.

Nobody could realistically get in and make it even to the bottom of the stairs prior to me getting into safe and being ready. I could tell when they passed the lower and upper lights while getting to, and coming up the stairs. Intruder would be illuminated by the hall motion activated night light, while I was safely in the dark waiting. Plenty of time, plenty of heavy cover for me. None for bad guys.

I am sure I will never need it.

For those married with young children, motion sensing hall lights also serve to alert married couples to the approach of little ones who wake in the night to come to your room unexpectedly...
THIS!

I would add one thing that we should all be doing regardless of how we keep our arms ready... practice like it's real.

Lay in bed in the dark, pop up, access your safe if you have one, make your gun ready (dummy rounds) and dry fire in the sight lines you have in your house, especially the most likely approach, e.g. hallway.

Boilergonzo: sorry about your dog, man.
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:39   #184
Z71bill

On one end you have - fully loaded - one in the chamber - gun held in your hand all night. Very quick - great risk of ND or accidental shooting.

On the other - you have disassembled gun locked in a safe - empty magazine - ammo stored in a separate place. Very safe in the ND / accidental shooting department - not very quick (or safe) in the home defense department.

In the middle you have a magazine in the gun - empty chamber - gun a few steps away from bed.

There are many other ways - but the point is - how much safety do you need / want - and how much readiness do you need / want.

If you have small kids - top notch alarm system - a good dog sleeping downstairs - then maybe you lean a little on the safety more important than immediate return fire capabilities.

But IMHO we should at least weigh the choices - and not think that fully loaded under the pillow is always better than - across the room - loaded mag - empty chamber.

The comments that a bedside gun without a round in the chamber are nothing but a brick seem childish at best. With this logic why not just keep your finger on the trigger all the time?

A gun without a finger on the trigger is nothing but a brick.

Last edited by Z71bill; 05-18-2013 at 07:40..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:01   #185
FAS1
GT Sponsor

My thoughts are that I want my handgun secure but available to use with just one hand without needing to see since this would generally apply to being in bed at night.

So, chambered for me in a quick access handgun safe. Not chambered might not mean it's just a brick, but now I need both hands to make my gun ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"The Fast and Secure One"
Link to Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by FAS1; 05-18-2013 at 09:08..
FAS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:43   #186
Jim S.

[QUOTE=Z71bill;20301396 There are many other ways - but the point is - how much safety do you need / want - and how much readiness do you need / want. [/QUOTE]

All good points.
It is up to the individual to decide what works best and that is after considering all of the variables.

Any way that you keep a gun for home defense is better than those who don't keep one at all.

One thing that I would advise,
Practice getting your gun into service so that however you do it at least be proficient doing it.
Try it sometime after sleeping for a few hours to add the dazed and confused effect.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:28   #187
Hugo R
Gaff G26 User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
One thing that I would advise,
Practice getting your gun into service so that however you do it at least be proficient doing it.
Try it sometime after sleeping for a few hours to add the dazed and confused effect.
Absolutely!

HR
Old 05-18-2013, 09:48   #188
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
My thoughts are that I want my handgun secure but available to use with just one hand without needing to see since this would generally apply to being in bed at night.

So, chambered for me in a quick access handgun safe. Not chambered might not mean it's just a brick, but now I need both hands to make my gun ready.
Just asking - not criticizing -

Why is "with just one hand" important in this situation?

I unlock my (bedroom) safe before I go to bed -

Because of my experience with my home alarm going off one night - and even though I have a quick open safe - that I have opened thousands of times - one that I can open with my eyes closes in a couple seconds - beep beep beep - crap I did it wrong - beep beep crap I need to clear the code before I enter the right one - crap - why is this taking so long!

It was a false alarm - but taught me that crap happens.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:28   #189
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Just asking - not criticizing -

Why is "with just one hand" important in this situation?
Worst Case Scenario:
  1. One hand free to rouse and/or shove my gal off the bed to the floor putting the bed and me between her and the bedroom door. She can retrieve her pistol from that position of cover. My other hand can simultaneously reach and open the safe mounted under the bed frame.
  2. Fend off the intruder with one arm to deploy the pistol with a round already chambered.

: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 05-18-2013 at 15:28..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:01   #190
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
G30 magazine loaded, chamber loaded, ready to go. I have cleared the house probably close to 15 times since we moved in almost 2 years ago. Usually only to find one of my kids in the bathroom. When I see the bathroom light on I yell out "Sound off" and I hear back "it's me mom". If I fail to hear an answer, I would stand outside the door waiting for it to open with the barrel pointed at the door. Just in case it's one of the kids and they failed to hear my order, I would peek in their bedroom doors to see if they were in their beds. If I didn't see the kid, I would yell out their name and say "sound off" again, and would get an answer that time. Thankfully, it's always been a non issue...I just knocked on wood :D

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:13   #191
Supertec

G20SF Loaded, one in the chamber, mic holster.
Supertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:39   #192
Harleydoug

I have a G37 Gen 4 locked and loaded in or on the bed side night stand. No kids here so no issues. The wife keeps her G 26 on her side of the bed. She is a great shot.

Be safe! Be secure!

De Oppresso Liber
Harleydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:39   #193
Carolina Drifter
CLM Number 5
Charter Lifetime Member

well one Is a g29 the other is a S&W 629-2 Lew Horton 1 of 5,000 and last my fav hd GUN I A Remy 1100 ith 8 rds of buckshot in he tube. ALL with one in the pipe as I also believe that a unloaded gun is useless
“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” -- William Pitt, the Younger

Last edited by Carolina Drifter; 05-18-2013 at 12:54..
Carolina Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:45   #194
MikeG36

Loaded. Otherwise what good is it? You wake up to find someone in your room and you have to groggily load your weapon so you can defend yourself. Not a good scenario.
MikeG36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:47   #195
Carolina Drifter
CLM Number 5
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper005 View Post
I'm pretty sure I will get some grief for this but I keep my 21SF in a small safe next to my bed with the magazines loaded but not in the gun. I've always felt most comfortable and safest doing it this way. Thank God nothing has happened to me or my family for me to test the time it takes to load the pistol and be totally prepared for a confrontation. Just curious, what is the set-up for your bedside gun ?? I've heard some people sleep with a loaded gun underneath their pillow...yikes !!
Some stats I read on the average home invasion you have less than 10 second to repond or prepare
“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” -- William Pitt, the Younger

Last edited by Carolina Drifter; 05-18-2013 at 13:05..
Old 05-18-2013, 13:04   #196
Carolina Drifter
CLM Number 5
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viennagambit View Post
there is no way in hell i would want to deal with the stress of loading a mag in the dark and chambering a round while being jarred in the middle of the night from a bad guy.
but you should be able to if you know your firearm. The biggest problem to deal with is time.

Last edited by Carolina Drifter; 05-18-2013 at 13:08..
Old 05-18-2013, 13:16   #197
cowboy1964

My CCW instructor (a retired cop) doesn't even keep a weapon within arms reach of the bed. He wants to have to consciously get up and go over and get it. It's a good idea, as people do crazy/stupid things while sleep groggy. Of course it helps if you have other layers of early warning security (alarms, dogs). There are also considerations of who else lives in the house of course (children, etc). There's no one best solution for everyone.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 05-18-2013 at 13:20..
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 15:19   #198
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
My CCW instructor (a retired cop) doesn't even keep a weapon within arms reach of the bed. He wants to have to consciously get up and go over and get it. It's a good idea, as people do crazy/stupid things while sleep groggy. Of course it helps if you have other layers of early warning security (alarms, dogs). There are also considerations of who else lives in the house of course (children, etc). There's no one best solution for everyone.
Mine did the same thing... your CCW instructor wasn't named Rick, was he? lol.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 15:41   #199
stroker

Mossberg 500,loaded magazine & 1 in the hole .WORKED ONCE,no reason for it not to work again
stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 17:04   #200
hd67xlch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaGambit View Post
If you dont have kids, why not just keep it on your nightstand?
Exactly, I keep my daily carry gun holstered on the nightstand.