Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2013, 22:25   #226
punkglock
Freedom Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNman View Post
Loaded, one in the pipe, in the safe, with a flashlight attached and another next to the bed (not in the safe). In case of break-in, opening the safe should be the ONLY action required.
The safe makes a lot of sense if you have kids...with modern biometric safes, getting to your gun requires gross vs fine motor skills. Big win!

Leaving some gas out of your car means it won't start or go anywhere until you add some. It might waste your time but won't kill someone sitting still. Leaving a round in the chamber in the wrong situation certainly could.

Again, it depends on your situation...racking the slide is a second or two tops, which for me I know I'll have while the alarm's blazing and perp's climbing the stairs. I don't have kids so I'm fine without the safe, if I did I'd go biometric under the bed (and practice with that setup). My wife loves to shoot and isn't going to do something dumb. Having a mostly loaded gun on the nightstand works for us.

Pick what works for you, keeping in mind that if something goes wrong...resulting in your own life or someone else's...it's your gun, and your responsibility.

We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training. Archilochus, ca. 650 BC
punkglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 22:52   #227
JuneyBooney

The one thing I will say to everyone in this good thread is that if you are a parent make sure you keep your guns away from your teenagers any way you can. We see so many teens get ticked off at their parents when they are teens, bring a boyfriend etc into the home and kill the parents. I told my bro the same thing because you never know how the teens of today will act in situations that they think are dire but in reality are minor growing pains. Keep the ammo locked up in a different location if you have teens and good luck in your defensive situations.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 23:16   #228
punkglock
Freedom Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
The one thing I will say to everyone in this good thread is that if you are a parent make sure you keep your guns away from your teenagers any way you can. We see so many teens get ticked off at their parents when they are teens, bring a boyfriend etc into the home and kill the parents. I told my bro the same thing because you never know how the teens of today will act in situations that they think are dire but in reality are minor growing pains. Keep the ammo locked up in a different location if you have teens and good luck in your defensive situations.
It's sad the world has changed so much. I was a teen once, with plenty of angst (like everyone?), but lived in a blue collar household that had to hunt to live (no extra cash for buying meat) and had loaded guns and lots of ammo in almost every room. Got into plenty of trouble and disciplined in turn, but never thought of shooting family members or friends.

I hear you though...while sad, it's a reality in today's society. I think a biometric safe keyed to mom or dad's handprint (with loaded gun + extra mags all in the same location) would be fine though? Quick to get into, but no access for unauthorized persons.

No matter how you store your guns, proper training for children (including plenty of examples of the damage guns do to their targets) is a must IMO.

We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training. Archilochus, ca. 650 BC
punkglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:07   #229
Eric324

G19, one in the pipe with a fully loaded mag. Kept in my night stand drawer, with a quick detaching trigger guard cover. In the closet is my 870 with a loaded tube but an empty chamber.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:32   #230
Scouse

How you keep a pistol, close to you at night, is so huge a question!

How do you wake up? Loud noise in street, for instance?

Me? At 77 YOA, now, have always awakened instantly. Even at my age now, click, eyes open.

If you wake up groggy, very slowly, empty chamber, full magazine might be a good idea.

My Glock 19 has very bright (just factory replaced rods) TruGlo fiber optic night sights.
These three green dots face me, location is always the same, ready condition is always the same. Full mag, chamber loaded. Surefire light close.

My Wife wakes at least once a night, sometimes wakes me, I know who it is, I normally go back to sleep! Case in point, 4 dark thirty! Not asleep.

To come into our house, at night, not a good idea.

Last edited by Scouse; 05-20-2013 at 02:33..
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:50   #231
SystemaEncephale

Glock 17 Gen 4 loaded mag and chambered with two spare mags in the night stand as well as a Glock 33 loaded mag but not chambered under my pillow.
SystemaEncephale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14   #232
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper005 View Post
I'm pretty sure I will get some grief for this but I keep my 21SF in a small safe next to my bed with the magazines loaded but not in the gun. I've always felt most comfortable and safest doing it this way. Thank God nothing has happened to me or my family for me to test the time it takes to load the pistol and be totally prepared for a confrontation. Just curious, what is the set-up for your bedside gun ?? I've heard some people sleep with a loaded gun underneath their pillow...yikes !!
I do the same thing since I have a very curious three year old. The lockbox (I don't consider it a "safe") that it is in is locked but my son could potentially open it if he got ahold of the keys. I keep the key on me but you never know what can happen.

Before he was born I kept a S&W 686 loaded in the bedside drawer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:42   #233
QNman
Silver Membership
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkglock View Post
The safe makes a lot of sense if you have kids...with modern biometric safes, getting to your gun requires gross vs fine motor skills. Big win!

Leaving some gas out of your car means it won't start or go anywhere until you add some. It might waste your time but won't kill someone sitting still. Leaving a round in the chamber in the wrong situation certainly could.

Again, it depends on your situation...racking the slide is a second or two tops, which for me I know I'll have while the alarm's blazing and perp's climbing the stairs. I don't have kids so I'm fine without the safe, if I did I'd go biometric under the bed (and practice with that setup). My wife loves to shoot and isn't going to do something dumb. Having a mostly loaded gun on the nightstand works for us.

Pick what works for you, keeping in mind that if something goes wrong...resulting in your own life or someone else's...it's your gun, and your responsibility.
Just for the record... I'm not in the whole gas in the tank debate. I do it the way I do it because I believe it makes me and mine safer. The OP asked what I do.... Each man (or woman) must weigh his own comfort/safety ratio.
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:06   #234
boilergonzo

There is a big difference between safes, bad safes, and lock boxes. For those who are not aware and who have children, you may want to see the story of a police officer and nurse who had a firearm locked in a StackOn safe (issued by their police department for safe, off-duty gun storage, ironically) that a young child "bumped", got the firearm, and which resulted in a tragic fatality.

If you have children, pay attention to the safe. I have a Stack-On safe that I used to keep ammo in. The battery failed (and I had lost the over-ride key). Based upon information in the below video, I tried to "bump the safe". Amazingly, I was able to defeat the lock and open it on the VERY FIRST ATTEMPT!

I changed the battery, and now use it for storing less critical things, like spare car keys.

It is an eye opener, and many people rely on these to keep kids out. LOTS of safes use this type of locking mechanism with a weak spring. Be careful choosing your safe.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebe...hree-year-old/

Last edited by boilergonzo; 05-20-2013 at 08:10..
boilergonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:41   #235
JohnnyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo R View Post
Not disagreeing with you at all. If that location is comfortable with you then all power to you. As a matter of fact, when I do worry about waking up to a goblin in the room (God forbid!) is when I'm sleeping in a hotel room. I don't trust the locks and door stops in hotels.

Take a wild guess where my loaded and chambered Glock is?Yep, between the matresses. At home its different because of the situation and safeguards. That's what it comes down to, situation and available safeguards. How safe do you feel and what condition are YOU in. The old color codes...condition white as opposed to condition orange/red?

Lastly, training also will dictate how you position your firearms. My EDC is always loaded and chambered. It's only unloaded for cleaning and then immediately reloaded.

My 17L which is my primary HD gun is always loaded but with an empty chamber and trigger decocked.

Massive amounts of repetitions and constant familiarity training keep me ready to properly employ either handgun if necessary.

So whatever your choice of weapon, condition and storage you choose, train a lot so that when you do need to defend yourself, especially coming out of a deep sleep, you'll do it safely and effectively.

HR
I think we're on the same page. Constant training, consistency and so forth are our friends. I also hear you regarding hotel rooms. With the stories we've seen over the years on hacking key cards, nevermind those who have access to our rooms (maintenance, housekeeping, etc.) and whether or not all these folks are on the up-an-up, there is a lot of questionable security out there.
JohnnyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 17:35   #236
BIGBEAR92314
KK6HKT

G19 loaded and chambered on a Holstarr bedside rack ......

General Glocking
General Glocking
BIGBEAR92314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 17:51   #237
pugman

We have children in the house and my wife knows how to handle a firearm.

Loaded...I'm debating about one in the chamber.
Old 05-20-2013, 18:07   #238
SNH Glocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Well, ....... I would be one of those who sleeps with his Glock underneath his pillow.

'
To each their own. I tend to move around a lot while sleeping. Pillows and blankets get all messed up. I could never sleep with a gun under my pillow, it would probably end up on the floor someplace. I prefer to place it on a bureau or table that requires me to get out of bed and take a few steps to get it. I figure this way I am likely to be less groggy and more awake when I get it. The glow of the night sights is very comforting as I close my eyes at night.
SNH Glocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 20:58   #239
OrGlocker

Loaded hands downs
OrGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 21:01   #240
danNiB-X

Loaded within arms reach while laying in bed...and of course 1 in the chamber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by danNiB-X; 05-20-2013 at 21:02..
danNiB-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 21:26   #241
MrCowboy99

Loaded G22 nightstand. (it's in a safe with finger lock under bed grandkids sleep over)
Surefire is also on the nightstand

BTW. everyone knows to stay put (even grandkids know to get under bed in their room and we will come get them) if a noise happens. I don't want people walking around the house if they are sleeping over.
Old 05-21-2013, 15:05   #242
SmithietheFox

G-22 loaded with spare magazine.

Always looking for rare FN-FAL 50.00 rifles and Custom German Weatherbys.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 17:59   #243
Richard K

Only me and the wife in the house and she won't touch a gun. An unloaded gun is worthless so my bedside gun is Glock 30 ready to go, one in the chamber, an extra mag and a TRR2 light/laser mounted.

Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialism
Richard K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:42   #244
Rick O'Shay

I keep my Mossberg 930 SPX loaded to the hilt with 00 buckshot, three steps from my side of the bed. Those three steps should give me time to become rational, and the only thing left to do is click the safety and get busy.
BTW--The 930 will shoot at least as fast as the Glock, in my experience.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:52   #245
GMT
GMT224

G26

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53   #246
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
What use is an unloaded gun when you need it?
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:55   #247
SCmasterblaster

Loaded G17, for sure. One never knows what to expect, even here in rural VT.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 05-22-2013 at 08:56..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:11   #248
Smoke600

I keep my mags loaded but not in gun, I figure putting a full mag in and preparing the first round will be enough time to see what exactly woke me up
Smoke600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:50   #249
tbob38

Loaded Walther PPS and a Glock 19/23/32 under the pillow.
tbob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:01   #250
leadontarget

Loaded and locked, in a hide away key locked safe, across the room. The only place up high enough from my children. I also have my pump shotgun tube loaded 000 Buck, empty chamber, slide locked tucked deep under the king size bed. I'm hearing impaired, and a deep sleeper. I depend on my wife to wake me for most things, so I want everything as secure as I can get it without taking too long to be ready. The chances of an intrusion are miniscule compared to the chances a child gets into our room. To each his own.
leadontarget is offline   Reply With Quote