3. S&B: 25 rounds
  4. Ranger T-series: 25 rounds
  5. Critical Defense: 12 rounds
  6. WWB: 32 rounds
  7. S&B: 25 rounds
  8. UMC: 25 rounds
  9. Critical Defense: 13 rounds
  10. Ranger T-series: 25 rounds

Ranking of Ammunition Based on Range Test (starting with best experience)
  • Critical Defense
  • Remington UMC
  • S&B
  • Winchester White Box
  • Winchester Ranger T-Series

Comments and Observations
  • Almost no felt recoil…was pleasantly surprised about that
  • Although did not test for accuracy, it seemed very good
  • Trigger was fine and did not notice that much difference from the Glock 19 and 36
  • Did not notice any real difference in hold with magazines…one standard and one with Pearce +0. Surprisingly comfortable with fingers on grip
  • With all ammunition I experienced occasional failures of the slide to stay open after the last round fired. Could be related to my hold and I will watch more closely next time at the range (probable user error)
  • No FTEs with any ammunition tested
  • With the Winchester Ranger ammunition I experienced many failures to feed, with the slide locking open with rounds in the magazine. Almost every magazine (2-3 times), typically on the second and third round
  • Quick comparison to S&W Bodyguard 380 (individual firearm to individual firearm):
  • Glock has better trigger, more comfortable to shoot, better sights, appears to be more accurate
  • Bodyguard has better ammo acceptance (no failures to date with same ammunition as tested for G42). Smaller.

Conclusions
  • After spending about 1/3 of the G42 purchase price in test ammunition, not exactly sure what I think of this individual G42. I like it, but it is not ready right now as a carry piece. It is very comfortable to shoot and I think my wife would really like it due to the low recoil
  • Next range trip I will work on accuracy and watch my grip closer to see if I am the cause of the failure of the slide to stay open after the last round. Also will retest ammunition on next range visit.
  • The Winchester Ranger ammunition perplexes me a bit. The failure to feed was consistent using this ammunition. I mixed up the testing order…did not experience it with the others.
  • More to come…

Last edited by Soba; 07-17-2014 at 11:29.. Reason: clarification
Soba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 13:01   #2
QB

Thanks for the info & congratulations on your purchase.

I am picking up my first G42 Saturday. Was going to order 500 rounds of ball ammo but think I'll wait and test with various brands prior to ordering, just to make sure my gun likes that particular brand. I also need to find the softest shooting ammo that works reliably because my sister will be using one of the guns and she is very recoil/muzzle flip sensitive due to arthritic joints (so am I). She's fine with 45ACP but not so good with snappier recoil (or perceived recoil/muzzle flip). Guess that's because the 45 ACP is sort of a slow push and it just doesn't hurt her wrists as much. I have been researching PMC, S&B, UMC, Federal, WWB, Fiocchi but haven't actually shot any in 380.

As far as defense ammo.....guess I will have to test a couple of my favorite brands prior to stocking up also. Was thinking Critical Defense but am open to suggestions of course. I do see that Critical Defense is #1 on your list.

I sure was hoping to be able to have my cases of ammo prior to getting my gun but I wasn't sure that was a good thing to do since ammo is expensive these days and I don't want cases sitting around that don't work reliably in my G42.

My second G42 is coming in Tuesday (hopefully for my sister to use when we go to the range) and it will be interesting to compare the guns and see if they run the same. The gun I'm getting Saturday has a July 2014 fired cartridge date and the one I'm getting Tuesday has a June 23 2014 date. I am hoping they both have all the latest updates.

I am particularly interested in ammo brands that the G42 seems to like so your post was helpful.
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 14:33   #3
AZ Husker

You had me going there until you said the trigger was fine. A 9.2 pull is not OK for me! The rest of the report was very nice.

Last edited by AZ Husker; 07-17-2014 at 14:34..
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 17:50   #4
mrsig
mrsig

Almost everything I read on this forum on the G42 has something to do with a slide locking back in the middle of the load or not locking back at all. This author complained of some stove pipes with some ammo. Others have too. I would guess that many of the thousands of 42's sold have never been fired either becoming safe queens or loaded and put in a pocket or purse by a casual or new CWP holder who may never go to a range like someone on this forum would do on a regular basis.

That begs the question if there is a higher % of problems with this gun than one would think. Also from what I read Glock has put in new slide stops, slide stop release levers, triger housings and in some reports frames etc.- all after March releases. Still I keep seeing the same reports. Then I read where others are as happy as clams. Hopefully it is picky on ammo or shooter error or maybe you need to use only FMJ ammo.

Notwithstanding, this gun as a carry should make you nervous unless you can run enough ammo through to be confident to trust your life to it. You may not have a second chance. Just my opinion. I own 9 Glocks and have never had a problem with any of them.

Last edited by mrsig; 07-17-2014 at 17:53.. Reason: error
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 18:34   #5
Razed By Wolves

Thanks for the review, nicely formatted and complete sentences.

I've got 2 Blue Labels on order for the wife and me. She simply won't carry a larger gun so I'm hoping to upgrade her Kel-Tec P32 to the G42. My need is for maximum concealment when I can't wear my G26/IWB holster.

I'm buying them for $319 each but it could be September/October before they land. Hopefully the beta test will be over and the gun is reliable with the right ammo.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." - Thomas Sowell
Razed By Wolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 19:56   #6
Soba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
You had me going there until you said the trigger was fine. A 9.2 pull is not OK for me! The rest of the report was very nice.
OK, I know folks have complained about the trigger. Some complain of 9+ pounds and Glock states it is at 5.5 pounds.

To me it didn't feel very heavy and honestly was just fine. I didn't feel it was that much different from my other Glocks. Maybe I am lucky or maybe I just have really strong fingers.

No way for me to test other than by "feel" and it felt fine. Your mileage may vary.

BTW, I used to joke that the only trigger worse than my Nagant M1895 was the S&W Bodyguard 380. The Glock is so much better than either of those...
Old 07-17-2014, 20:05   #7
Soba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razed By Wolves View Post
Thanks for the review, nicely formatted and complete sentences.

I've got 2 Blue Labels on order for the wife and me. She simply won't carry a larger gun so I'm hoping to upgrade her Kel-Tec P32 to the G42. My need is for maximum concealment when I can't wear my G26/IWB holster.

I'm buying them for $319 each but it could be September/October before they land. Hopefully the beta test will be over and the gun is reliable with the right ammo.
Thanks for the reply back.

Picked up mine for the $319+tax+mandatory background check fee. About $350 OTD. Called up the dealer to see if any in stock and walked out the door about an hour later. Was surprised about the availability. Last blue label I purchased was on prepaid order for several months.

My wife hates the G19 (that is how I got my first Glock) but think she would really like the G42. Not sure I want to show it to her, since she may claim it.
Old 07-17-2014, 20:20   #8
FLGlockster

Excellent range report....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soba View Post
[*]With the Winchester Ranger ammunition I experienced many failures to feed, with the slide locking open with rounds in the magazine. Almost every magazine (2-3 times), typically on the second and third round

Conclusions
[*]The Winchester Ranger ammunition perplexes me a bit. The failure to feed was consistent using this ammunition. I mixed up the testing order…did not experience it with the others.[*]More to come…[/LIST]
Very interesting... I will look forward to "more to come."

Thanks
FLGlockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 21:05   #9
Soba

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGlockster View Post
Excellent range report....

Very interesting... I will look forward to "more to come."

Thanks
Well, did a round two yesterday. Will type up the notes tomorrow.

A preview:
- More experiences of the slide locking open with rounds in the magazine.
- Accuracy testing showed good results.
- No failures of the slide locking open after last round fired...probably user error in first testing sequence.