Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:26   #201
mac66
Plant the seed

IMO the ideal trunk/truck gun is a 22 rifle. Whatever else you may carry for self defense, a 22 rifle is an inexpensive but versatile addition to have for everything else.

I think the Ruger 10/22 Take down rifle would make pretty good trunk gun.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:12   #202
CharlestonG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
The Okie Corral
Hummm...have you ever thought that those stickers might compromise your stealthiness.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi
CharlestonG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:38   #203
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

Someone please kindly explain to me the concept of a Trunk Gun. Yes, I think that in certain, select situations, they can be handy. However, I was under the impression that a Trunk Gun was for a larger rifle/shotgun-style long-arm that was meant to be used in a defensive situation.

If that's the case, why do you need one in the first place? I've kind of always felt that if I needed a rifle/shotgun while in or near my car, I've gotten myself into something that I should never have gotten myself into, and chances are, it was probably avoidable. I carry a G22 with a spare mag, both fully loaded. If 31 rounds of .40 S&W doesn't do it, what the hell is a round of buckshot or .223/7.62 going to do?

Yes, if you're at the mall, it's tempting to grab your AR/AK/shotgun and go plowing in after the lunatic that's shooting people on sight. However, is it the wisest/smartest idea? I think we can all agree it is not, unless you are a Sworn Officer of the Law (in which case, you have a Duty to Defend). Anything short of that, and I'll be getting the hell out of Dodge, thanks! I can sleep well at night by avoiding a situation, knowing that I was alive to do so, and not shot dead by the suspect or a responding officer.

As I said in the beginning: yes, they are practical for some situations. However, as a secondary self-defense tool? Well, I've got a gas-pedal and a vehicle that puts out WAY more ft-lbs of energy than any bullet currently made on the market.

But I am open to discussion and education on this subject. Polite discussion.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:38   #204
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

You missed his update.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:43   #205
Diesel_Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
My trunk gun is a Marlin 795.....
Most excellent, sir. I may well be duplicating your setup.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:46   #206
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

Quote:
My trunk gun is a Marlin 795 with Tech Sights, 5 mags and a bunch of stuff stored in and on the stock. It is kind of a grab and go setup and includes everything I would need to run up to my hunting property, informal plinking, target shooting, vermin control, zombies or hunting. There is 25' of para cord over 10' of duct tape wrapped around the stock. Other than food and water, it has everything I would need to survive. Between the mags, ammo in the stock and fore arm it hold 130 rounds. About 20 rounds are subsonic "quiet" rounds.

The Okie Corral
Hey Mac, I don't mean to embarrass you but.....have you had that mole looked at? Mind you, I'm not one to talk; I've got plenty of them. But that one looks...umm...unhealthy?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:04   #207
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Run what ya brung.'08.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:05   #208
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

I drive a pick-up truck but even if I drove a regular passenger car I wouldn't carry anything in the trunk. Everything I carry, in car, truck, on a motorcycle is where I can reach it.

Of all the many scenarios I can imagine while driving very few involve situations where I'd have time/opportunity to get out and go around to the trunk, open it up, take out what ever and get set to fire it.

A gun you can't get to won't help you in the least.

When driving around my home town area I have my Glock 36 or my S&W .44special, or my Ruger .357mag on my hip. On the road I have the 36 on my hip and my G-21 in the console. Occasionally I will have my AR behind the front seat but I rarely take that any more.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:18   #209
Diesel_Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
Someone please kindly explain to me the concept of a Trunk Gun.
The mall-cop-wannabe scenario, I have no clue there.

Around here, wild dogs are a problem. People dump them in the country when they stop being cute pups and then they start causing hell for livestock. Unattended dogs are shot on sight around here, and that usually requires a gun that'll reach out farther and be more accurate than a handgun.

If you love Fido, keep control of him. He may be the family pet, but if he's caught in a field with livestock the farmer will protect his investment and livelihood with a rifle.

My Sub2000 has proven to be particularly well suited to this. Takes up very little room in the lockbox under the back seat, can be pulled out and ready at a moment's notice, shares ammo and magazines with my carry gun. Easily minute of milk jug accurate at 100 yards w/ the stock sights. Has thinned the wild dog herd a goodly bit since I started keeping it with me.

Last edited by Diesel_Bomber; 05-18-2013 at 11:24..
Diesel_Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:25   #210
jp3975

The Okie Corral
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:26   #211
WarCry

I can think of many reasons someone might want to do this, from "the zombies/commies/whoever are coming any second now" kind of thinking to simply a convenient place to carry/store a rifle that only gets used on the range or when hunting (it's in a "locked container" and doesn't need to be dragged in and out of the house for use, etc). But I have a practical question on it...

I used my trunk all the time. I use it for groceries, I use it for other shopping purchases, I use it to get my jumper cables out when the guy next to me at the drive-in doesn't know you can't run defrosters when in "auxiliary" and expect his battery to survive. I think yesterday I was in and out of the trunk probably 1/2 dozen times.

I guess that I'd be concerned of drawing undue attention to myself if, every time I opened the decklid, someone saw an "evil black rifle" hanging there. Does that concern anyone else?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:33   #212
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

I'd rather have it and not need it,as ta need it and not have it.'08.

Fixed it fer JF.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:48   #213
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
Hey Mac, I don't mean to embarrass you but.....have you had that mole looked at? Mind you, I'm not one to talk; I've got plenty of them. But that one looks...umm...unhealthy?
Doctor has been watching it for a couple years. Looks bad but is not a problem.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:54   #214
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

Quote:
Doctor has been watching it for a couple years. Looks bad but is not a problem.
Good to hear. I avoid the sun like the plague though; other's don't have that luxury, so go figure.

Quote:
I'd rather have it and not need it,as ta need it and not have it.'08.
I considered that, as well as the "feral animals" scenario. I guess anything's possible.
Old 05-18-2013, 15:25   #215
mtpisgah

Quote:
Just to reiterate the trunk setup is only there when I go on trips over an hour,other than that and range trips the trunk is EMPTY!
Why carry it only when going more than an hour away or to the range? What if something happens and you are 45 minutes away? You could still have the same obstacles to get through to get home.

I think it is kind of silly to carry all of that stuff but was wondering what the justification is for your time from home.
mtpisgah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 16:45   #216
ozy

it will make a burgler/car jacker a one happy man , or a very dead one!
226XTREME, 229E/E,229ELITE DARK.
ozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 17:33   #217
Motor City Glocker
Gun Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I might of....a time or twice, grabbed my AR, and rode around the ghetto in Benton Harbor MI. in my Mustang "I am Legend" style.

Maybe.

Stupidly.

Fun as hell though.
Heh heh...I know all about Benton Harbor.
Old 05-18-2013, 17:43   #218
10mmG20

I just have extra mags for the g20 if I can't kill it with a 10mm I better get out of their anyway I got 3 on me at all times one in gun 2 on hip and 3 in my blazer that's 91 rounds
10mmG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 18:01   #219
sigman69

no offense but I would not have all those gun stickers on the car, if I was thief I would target a vehicle with those stickers on the chance that there might be firearm in the vehicle. I dont have any stickers on my car, I do not want to advertise.
Old 05-18-2013, 18:03   #220
Scott3670

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mmG20 View Post
I just have extra mags for the g20 if I can't kill it with a 10mm I better get out of their anyway I got 3 on me at all times one in gun 2 on hip and 3 in my blazer that's 91 rounds
I'm running a similar set-up here. My primary is a CZ P07 with two 16-round mags. I then have a S&W M&P compact 9mm with three 12-round mags in the glove box. For city driving I feel that I am more than adequately protected.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
Scott3670 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 18:33   #221
10mmG20

If I not carrying the g20 then that is in the glove box with my g29 on my hip
10mmG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48   #222
Richard_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
Actually it would be impossible to see from outside the vehicle unless you open the door. I would imagine the poster informs law enforcement of its presence before opening the door so there is no nasty surprise. That and he lives in Texas so it's probably assumed every truck has at least one gun in it....
In Texas the long gun can be in plain sight, but not the handgun (whether CHL holder or not).

All the stickers on the back window are a really bad idea. Aside from advertising things to steal either in the car or at home, some jurisdictions in the state have been known to devote extra attention to high profile vehicles.
Richard_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:53   #223
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
...The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Here is my setup, I carry
Helmet
My plate carrier vest level V ceramic rifle plates
On the vest is 4 loaded mags
Bayonet
flashlight.
tourniquet
Ifak first aid kit drop leg
Drop leg holster for my Glock 22 with extra mag
Rifle case with Polish under folder and 4 mags
a 3 ltr camel back
Range bag
Polish drop case
2 gallons water one drinking water 1 auto water for the car
The rifle is only in the car when I am.

Let's see your setup
You make my all my preparations seem so inadequate...

ETA: Didn't read all nine pages at this point, but if no one has mentioned it yet, not only did you give everyone your rifle's serial number, you also posted your tag number as well. That's like leaving a bread trail of brain bits to the zombie crowd.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 05-20-2013 at 09:55..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:23   #224
KevinFACE

The stuff in the OP's pics looks more expensive than the car it's in.

Also, good idea not blocking out your license plate information - you know, so people can't go look up where you are and steal your *****

Last edited by KevinFACE; 05-20-2013 at 12:24..
KevinFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:34   #225
M2 Carbine

Quote:
I think the Ruger 10/22 Take down rifle would make pretty good trunk gun.
I've got one that I hardly ever use. The car trunk may be just the place for it, along with the Kel Tec .223 rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon

Someone please kindly explain to me the concept of a Trunk Gun.
A good example for having a trunk gun (rifle) was a Texas courthouse shooting a while back.

The BG had the police out gunned. He was wearing body armor and using a AK, as I recall. He killed some people, including a civilian that shot him but the armor stopped all the pistol bullets.

If just one person in the parking lot had a car rifle the BG may have been stopped quickly.

That shooting was the reason I replaced the M1 Carbine with a SKS in my truck. I want something that will go through most body armor.

Another good example is,
as a (Texas) man comes up his driveway he sees three men coming out of his house with arms full of stuff.
As I recall the man shoots at least two, killing one and "blows the other's arm off".
Homeowner used his "hunting rifle" that he keeps loaded in his truck.
(this is a good shooting in Texas)

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 05-20-2013 at 12:42..
M2 Carbine is online now   Reply With Quote