GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:56   #101
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
I'm a mild prepper myself. By that I mean that I'm not neccessarly trying to prep for TEOTWASKI but more for a short term SHTF natural disaster or political situation.

My plan is also get home and hunker down. I never understood the whole take to the streets and run thing. That's another discussion though.

Myself, my truck's setup is a lot more low key. I never leave my house without my G19. In an ammo box I keep 4 loaded (JHP) mags (I carry one spare on me as well).

I also Keep a Hi-Point 916 with 4 spare loaded mags in there incase I have a passenger with me. People can say what they want about Hi-Points. Yes they are cheap, ugly and Bulky but they are accurate and I've got about 2500 rounds through that Hi-Point without any issues so far. I also keep a holster for the Hi-Point with it as well.

Other basic supplies I keep somewhere in the truck:
First Aid Kit
Blankets
Gallon of fresh water
12 Granola bars & 12oz Beef Jerky.
Flashlights
Folding ponchos

Nothing huge, but it should be plenty to get me and a passenger back home if need be if something bad happens. If we ever go on a road trip or travel for the holidays I make sure to increase the food and water.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:40   #102
F_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
That looks like a really smart way to get a service pistol screwed into your ear at every traffic stop...
Maybe where you are from. M2 is from Texas I believe and out here in Arizona, stuff like that is so common as to be almost boring.

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:47   #103
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
The gun is not kept in the car ever only when traveling or going to the range.....
So then what good is your bug out plan then.
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
It's Heaven and Hell
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 18:01   #104
Johnspark
Grumpy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_G View Post
Maybe where you are from. M2 is from Texas I believe and out here in Arizona, stuff like that is so common as to be almost boring.
Same here in Georgia. Man the GT cops are tough.
Old 05-14-2013, 18:25   #105
badge315

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
Didn't know you lived in Somalia. LOL
No, it's Florida...which is almost as bad.

I have this setup in the center console of my truck, but I don't have a dedicated truck rifle, so to speak. I will toss the Winchester Trapper in .44 Mag in the back if it looks like there might be trouble about...like when the verdict comes in on the George Zimmerman trial, for example.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 18:49   #106
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge315 View Post
No, it's Florida...which is almost as bad.

I have this setup in the center console of my truck, but I don't have a dedicated truck rifle, so to speak. I will toss the Winchester Trapper in .44 Mag in the back if it looks like there might be trouble about...like when the verdict comes in on the George Zimmerman trial, for example.

The Okie Corral
That's pretty cool the way you wrapped the lever on your Winchester with parachute cord.

http://www.specialops.org/

Last edited by GVFlyer; 05-14-2013 at 18:50..
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 19:01   #107
Inebriated

Anyone with a WJ and and an 18" 870 SHOULD know that the spot under the rear seats seems to be crafted specifically to fit that 870.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 19:21   #108
Delmonte67
Glock 40 cal.

[QUOTE=badge315;20292457]No, it's Florida...which is almost as bad.

The Okie Corral

Badge 315,
Nice setup for the Glock! Did you do this yourself, or is this something you purchased? Its giving me ideas for an old plastic paddle holster I don't use and maybe some screws, velcro? Your setup would be perfect for the middle console in my Explorer!

Last edited by Delmonte67; 05-14-2013 at 19:24..
Delmonte67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 21:45   #109
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

When I was working private security in South Dallas I always had a carbine, two glocks and plenty of ammo in the vehicle because I did not have the luxury to call in back up personel.

Now that I don't work security anymore but mind my own business as 'normal' citizen , I only carry one Glock and an SKS in the truck. No set up to write home about
Old 05-14-2013, 22:04   #110
hogship
It's MY Island

The Okie Corral

Trigger lock is there. Have eighty rounds on strippers/shoulder bag. All in a rifle case.

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link
www.picturetrail.com/taipan22alpha
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 22:23   #111
badge315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmonte67 View Post
Badge 315,
Nice setup for the Glock! Did you do this yourself, or is this something you purchased? Its giving me ideas for an old plastic paddle holster I don't use and maybe some screws, velcro? Your setup would be perfect for the middle console in my Explorer!
Actually, it's a Fobus paddle holster that I wasn't using anymore, mounted to the lid with self-tapping screws. Here are some close-up pics that better illustrate how it's mounted.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

- The Loc-Nar
Old 05-14-2013, 22:28   #112
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Call me a wimp, but I just make due with a G-19, a spare mag and a small backpack with first aid kit, a water purification pen, a water bladder and some other misc. outdoor gear (rain poncho, multi-tool, rope, compass, spare clothes, flashlight, lighter, survival blanket, etc.).

I'm set up if I have to ditch the car and hoof it for any reason, but I'm not ready to fight my way through a Russian Paratrooper Company.

Last edited by tsmo1066; 05-14-2013 at 22:30..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:52   #113
Delmonte67
Glock 40 cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge315 View Post
Actually, it's a Fobus paddle holster that I wasn't using anymore, mounted to the lid with self-tapping screws. Here are some close-up pics that better illustrate how it's mounted.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
Pretty slick! Thanks for the photos, a weekend project for sure.

Last edited by Delmonte67; 05-15-2013 at 02:55..
Delmonte67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:00   #114
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Here is my setup, I carry
Helmet
My plate carrier vest level V ceramic rifle plates
On the vest is 4 loaded mags
Bayonet
flashlight.
tourniquet
Ifak first aid kit drop leg
Drop leg holster for my Glock 22 with extra mag
Rifle case with Polish under folder and 4 mags
a 3 ltr camel back
Range bag
Polish drop case
2 gallons water one drinking water 1 auto water for the car
The rifle is only in the car when I am.

Let's see your setup
You forgot your spade, zip-ties, handcuffs, tarp, ski mask, gloves and chloroform.

Just joking.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:25   #115
sugarcreek
Tag Team Champs

I read the whole thread. DW, good man. The stickers are a no no to me but I like the general vibe of preparedness. Depending when, and where you live and travel, you have every chance. Sometimes, for some people, things go south. I see no reason to chirp about your setup in fact. I am inspired. The 870 goes into the trunk today.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:52   #116
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

I'm envious. I would not do the stickers, but I still respect the idea. I would ride with you.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14   #117
faceplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmonte67 View Post
Nice choice bro! If I'm heading out to the deep woods-
I do put my Sub2000 under my front seat of my Explorer with a few 33 rounders- ammo/magazines matches my G27 on my hip- folds to 16" and hides in a small backpack- perfect backup rifle, and accurate as hell!
The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral
The Okie Corral
Nice setup. PM coming your way
faceplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:34   #118
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
The Okie Corral

Dalton Wayne, if you ever have to bug out with the sks and the tac gear....

... I suggest you conceal it under a proper cover garment.

The Okie Corral

Wouldn't want anybody to get the wrong idea about your intentions.

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:42   #119
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVolk View Post
I've always wondered why people advise against this. Liscense plates are, afterall, "public" by design. Any joe blow can walk by your car and see your plate, so why the big deal if an image of it ends up online?
It is

"Anyone who happens to be near my car can see it"

vs.

"Anyone in the world with access to a computer and the internet can see it"

There's a difference. Edit: Noting that the car/plate is now associated with a specific online identity. (A picture of a parking lot where nobody has any idea that a particular car is a particular person's would be a little bit different)
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 05-15-2013 at 10:43..
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:48   #120
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by void * View Post
It is

vs.

There's a difference. Edit: Noting that the car/plate is now associated with a specific online identity. (A picture of a parking lot where nobody has any idea that a particular car is a particular person's would be a little bit different)
More to the point, anyone with a computer and internet access in Marion County, Florida, who may recognize that red Pontiac Sunfire couple (with the firearms-related decals in the rear window) can see it. Anyone as such who may be looking for firearms to steal for criminal purposes.

And if they read this thread they will know that the car is parked at some convenience-store every night.
How many convenience stores are there in Marion County, Florida?

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57   #121
MaxxAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Well assuming all is legal in your state, and I run your background and you don't have any criminal history that would disqualify you from possessing a weapon, I may just ask a couple basic questions about where you're going or coming from and carry on a polite and friendly conversation while going through my usual procedure. I would mainly be looking to get a feel for your attitude/demeanor and see if you eventually get your story (not that you're lying) mixed up. If you do, that would be a red flag. When you tell the truth, you don't have to remember your story, and believe me, I'll notice if you slip up.

Nice Answer Sheriff. Sounds like if I was gonna get stopped, I would like it to be a cop like you. Which, by the way, I have been stopped several times over the last few years, and only had one bad experience with a young, over zealous, edgy as hell newcomer to the sheriff's dept.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09   #122
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
More to the point, anyone with a computer and internet access in Marion County, Florida, who may recognize that red Pontiac Sunfire couple (with the firearms-related decals in the rear window) can see it. Anyone as such who may be looking for firearms to steal for criminal purposes.
Well, to me that's just one specific scenario (and, in fact, a very good illustration of why it's a bad idea, but it is not the only risk, if that makes sense).

Fundamentally I see it as a matter of "Why raise the odds that someone who sees you online and wants to do bad can find you", without regard to particular motives (some motives will be more likely, some less).
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 13:53   #123
BEER
bad example

i've got just the typical "texas errand run" load out. long gun behind the seat in a soft sided case which is covered by an old horse blanket, it might be a rifle or a shotgun depending on the time of year/situation/destination. and even though i know it's gonna wad a lot of panties, my truck gun is just that, the gun that lives in the truck. the only time it leaves the truck is for it's monthly cleaning, inspection, and function check. my windows aren't tinted, my interior is trashed, my radio is still stock, and the inside smells like stale contractor and cigarette smoke, and the interior is the nicest part of my truck. trust me, no thief is going to give my truck a 2nd look.

also, i don't have an entire resume of everything i've ever owned or done plastered across my back window or bumper either. it's a damned truck, not a rolling twitter account.
Old 05-15-2013, 15:10   #124
badge315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
How many convenience stores are there in Marion County, Florida?
Enough where driving around looking for a specific car at one of them is going to be a rather time-consuming project.

- The Loc-Nar
Old 05-15-2013, 16:01   #125
PVolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by void * View Post
It is

vs.

I understand that an image of a liscense plate online will probably increase the chances of it being seen. My point is: who cares if it's seen? Personally, I could care less if 5 or 500 people see my liscense plate. It wouldn't affect me either way.

You're illustrating that it's potentially dangerous to show online images of ones vehicle and location. Blurring out the liscense plate numbers wouldn't affect that. If a person is carefree enough to be willing to share personal details of their life, what they drive, the city they live, the place they work, the stuff in their trunk, etc..., then what difference does a liscense plate picture make anymore?

I get that some people want to remain 100% anonymous. Those people don't start threads like these. So, for people that are willing to share of themselves online, what greater harm is done with a liscense plate image when so many other personal details are public?