Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2013, 00:23   #21
Cole125
Silver Membership

Doc, sounds like a RWS model 34 is what you want. Get a Hawke scope(best pellet gun scopes for the money).
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 00:30   #22
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Among many others, I have the Hammerli 850 CO2 airgun in both 22 and 177.

For under $300 you get a bolt action 8 shot airgun that can take pigons or squirrles out to 40yrd. (Refub from the distributor for $140!)

Kit comes with a decent scope also.

My .22 has many thousands of rounds threw it. I shot it so much I bought the 177 because pellets are so much cheaper. Shot it also many thousands of times. Maybe paid for new gun with the savings. (maybe)

You can do a cheap and easy modification (called the spring mod) and increase the stock power 25%. Some guys have really tricked them out (20FPE in a CO2 is rare, but doable), I only did the spring mod. Dead pigeon is a dead pigeon, mod just made a 50y shot easier.

CO2 can be be a problem in very cold (50 or lower) or hot (90 or above) but in the 10 years I have been shooting CO2 guns I can only think of once when the heat was an issue. I left the gun outside in the sun and it got hot to the touch. It had valve lock (CO2 expands to much and locks the valve above certain temps, preventing firing). I put the gun in the shade and 10 minutes later in was fine. Not to bad for 8 different CO2 guns in 10 years and too many thousands of pellets to count.

I bought an R7 last year (medium power, small break barrel) that will shoot groups under dime size at 25y. For a break barrel, that is great. Best I have ever consistently shot in a non-match spring gun. Power is low, but the gun is a pleasure to shoot. And I can put a pellet in a birds head all day at 25y, no CO2, no pumping, no fuss.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:18   #23
snatiep

RWS 34 .177

'Nuff said
snatiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:53   #24
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McGlock View Post
Who would have thought this topic so complicated? Is it me being stupid or is it really this difficult?

Under $ 300-350
No longer multi-shot
Break-barrel OK
Scope preferable
Dependable
Gas piston preferred
No sloppy triggers
Relative accuracy
Fun to shoot
Quiet would be great! I've got lots of room but really don't want to PO any neighbor.
It is as difficult or as easy as you would like it to be. Remember you are buying a rifle. If has all the issues as buying a cartridge firearm and it appears that you don't have a background in airguns. So this is all new to you.

For your price range, RWS 34. .22 will be quieter and more of a hunter than the .177.

For me, I would invest a little more and get the RWS 48 in .22. I just don't like break barrels. I want a scope and don't want to be messing with the barrel so I get the MOST accurate setup I can.
Old 05-16-2013, 14:41   #25
Dmax07

Doc,
I've been looking too and came across the PCP air guns.
Take a look at the FX Revolution on YouTube it is a semi-auto 12 shot.
Check out some of the YouTube EdgunUSA videos.
Also check out the Benjamin Rogue 357 cal. some videos with it taking down deer and pigs.
Evanix Conquest semi/full auto air gun with 20 round mag

Just some I have looked at so far.
Dmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 15:19   #26
Seriously?
U.S.A.F. Ret.

I have a 35 year old RWS model 27 that is quiet and accurate.

Barrel cocking adult .177 spring gun of the best German quality.

I don't know if this model is still made, but get one if you can.......It's the best back yard gun I've ever seen and it kills crows or rabbits at 20-25 yards.
The Proles had reverted to a lifestyle that suited them, heavy physical work, family, church, petty quarrels with neighbors, hunting and fishing, T.V., sports, beer and gambling filled up the limited horizon of their minds.
― George Orwell

Last edited by Seriously?; 05-16-2013 at 15:21..
Seriously? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 22:22   #27
PzGren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton View Post
Try the CCI Quiet-22 in .22lr.
They are supposed to be 75% quieter than a typical .22lr.
Muzzle velocity is 710 FPS.
Most likely wont cycle an automatic action but will work fine in a pump, lever action, and of course a single shot.

In the city? You want to deplete the member base here by getting them imprisoned?
PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 16:37   #28
Benton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzGren View Post
In the city? You want to deplete the member base here by getting them imprisoned?
Have you ever tried the the Quiet-22 .22lr by CCI?
Believe me, the report isn't any louder then a high powered
air rifle (rws model 34 .177 caliber at 900/1,000 fps) .
The Quiet-22 is only 710fps.
In fact, the "crack" report of the RWS 34 will be louder then the cork gun "pop" sound of the Quiet-22!
As to shooting in the city, well, i guess if some police officers can do it,(and they do) so can i!

Last edited by Benton; 05-17-2013 at 16:39.. Reason: addition
Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 19:31   #29
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
In fact, the "crack" report of the RWS 34 will be louder then the cork gun "pop" sound of the Quiet-22!
This is why I keep telling people to shoot the .22 air rifle.
Old 05-17-2013, 21:59   #30
PzGren

Quote:
Have you ever tried the the Quiet-22 .22lr by CCI?
Believe me, the report isn't any louder then a high powered
air rifle (rws model 34 .177 caliber at 900/1,000 fps) .
The Quiet-22 is only 710fps.
As to shooting in the city, well, i guess if some police officers can do it,(and they do) so can i!
And while it is illegal and considerably more expensive, it does not really offer vast ballistic advantages.

Last edited by PzGren; 05-17-2013 at 21:59..
PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote