SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2013, 18:19   #101
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
Funny, I can ride my Harley just as well as I can drive my truck. Almost sounds like people here have to choose between one model or another. Can't you become proficient on more than one?
It might not seem like it, but that IS how I feel. I gave up motorcycles years ago but if it's got 4 wheels I can drive it, standard tranny, auto Machs Nicht.

I wouldn't have Glocks and XDs and a Taurus if I thought they were, by a practical standard, inferior. I just see a lot of people that seem as if they have to justify the Tupperware by "dissing" the 1911.

You do not have to put down Glocks to like XDs, autos if you like revolvers, or any other persons personal choice. My "collection" is big enough I can enjoy and appreciate the attributes of most all "systems" if not brands and models.

I will not put someone else's choice down if I can help it

AND ESPECIALLY ON THE GROUNDS THAT "I DON"T HAVE ONE AND NEVER WANTED ONE" like so many do. If you don't have serious experience with something you are putting down....well........
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 20:29   #102
1smoothredneck

I believe the 1911 platform to be the best fighting pistol available, and carried one for years....however, like Massad Ayoob says, they aren't the best threat management tool available. Now, I feel it's pretty much personal preference, and carry my LW Commander occasionally, but I carry glocks and other more modern pistols more often. As others have said, there's just something about holstering old slab sides that makes me feel like I'm taking a walk with a dear old friend.
1smoothredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 20:38   #103
1smoothredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
If the muzzle of a 5" 1911 didn't smack the seat when I sit down and if the grip didn't print like crazy when I bent down, I'd carry one everywhere. I carried a Officer/Defender sized 1911 for awhile, but I still got some printing in some clothes.

To stick with the 45acp round and have a gun that can disappear with any clothes in any weather, I went with the XDS. If I lived someplace where heavy clothes or a coat was a year round thing, it would be a 1911 for sure.
One fault I find with a 1911 is not being very compatible with gloves. The small trigger guard, and short take up on the trigger just don't seem to work well for me with gloves.. Fortunately for me, I live in a climate where gloves are seldom needed for daily attire. I do love the .45 acp round for winter carry where heavy clothing is probable on bad guys, just not in a 1911 platform.
1smoothredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:48   #104
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I am curious as to how you decide "so many specs are against it" ?

If you want to pick your "specs", and one of them is "thickness for carry" then the specs are against a Glock. If you want to spec a manual safety then the 1911 wins again. If you spec the 1911 grip angle hard to say the 1911 doesn't win. If you spec a clean crisp trigger very few match the 1911.
If you spec accuracy the 1911 can be one of the most accurate handguns one can carry.

Besides that there is the more subjective criteria of "like". Not all of us feel the need to justify our decisions but cherry picking the criteria to validate them.
Hi CG,

I have no dog in this fight...in terms of 1911, I am a neutral party, which is why I am interested in these comments.

By specs, well, a Kahr .45 (I assume, I have not weighed) would be lighter, an XD carries more rounds a Glock is going to be cheaper, a SIG has easier field stripping.

So, my comment was not without merit, but as you noted, we all tend to spec pistols in different ways with different preferences.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:14   #105
SpringerTGO

I'm not a fanboy of any platform. I've owned Glocks and 1911's for years.
Because of the width, my 1911 carries better for me. I had it set up exactly the way I wanted it, so I can shoot it better than I do my Glock.
For camping and such, I prefer my Glocks. I don't mind subjecting them to more abuse than I would an expensive 1911. For all out reliability, I'd give the edge to the Glock, but I trust my 1911's as well.
For an end of the world gun, I'd lean towards my Glocks.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 18:22   #106
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
As I have no formal training or experience with a 1911.
But have read that it requires a higher level of training for carry than other platforms.
Maybe that's simply not true.
It's not true at all. Remember that the M1911 and M1911A1 were issued to doughboys who couldn't even spell their names most of the times.

I don't know where this idea that the M1911 platform (and AR15 too) is so "complex" and "sophisticated" that only a true disciple of handgunnery can master it.

Other than ONE thumb safety, what else so different about it versus guns that have no external safety lever? If you can't master ONE little lever then I question your intellectual prowess to own and operate a handgun, be it a Glock, XD, M1911, whatever.
Old 06-04-2013, 18:52   #107
Pier23

PERHAPS there is some racial memory kicking in. When my father handed over to me his WWII Ithica mfg 1911, he said he could never hit a damn thing with that pistol. One of the VERY few times I ever heard my father utter an explictive.

BUT could such judgments, passed down through the generations, color the perception of the 1911, for whom the only experience may be a bad report from a relative based on some VERY mass-produced WWII hardware?????
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 19:50   #108
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
PERHAPS there is some racial memory kicking in. When my father handed over to me his WWII Ithica mfg 1911, he said he could never hit a damn thing with that pistol. One of the VERY few times I ever heard my father utter an explictive.

BUT could such judgments, passed down through the generations, color the perception of the 1911, for whom the only experience may be a bad report from a relative based on some VERY mass-produced WWII hardware?????
well i love the 1911 but IMO the military ones especially later(we had them from 1987-90 when i was in) but they were well to put it nicely garbage by that time. No one (including me who made the Army pistol team and can shoot all OTHER 1911 just fine) could shoot those for sh**. We literally had sights fall off them at the range id probably throw it at the enemy unless they were less than 12 yards away lol....

I dont know when these were new if they were better or not but when we got them they were HORRID.

Last edited by CBennett; 06-04-2013 at 19:52..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 23:11   #109
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post

The smallish GI sight is definitely not great for combat. Back in the days, a combat firearm also must be able to shoot accurately at bullseye matches. The military used to participate a lot more with rifle and pistol matches.

Don't kid yourself, those tiny sights are great for shooting small groups. Not great for quick sighting but great for target shooting. They were designed that way because of the philosophy of the day back then.

Also, military training for handguns were and are very "basic" to be kind. No wonder your father couldn't hit the side of the barn with the gun.

And yes, the GI M1911A1s were pretty roughly made, especially during WWII. A lot of shake, rattle and roll. But it will shoot.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:11   #110
Booker

Stay away from the 1911s. The only place they should be seen are in glass cases in Museums.

They were designed to fight the various Indian Tribes who used bows & arrows. They were so poorly designed that arrows lauch at higher velocities that a 45 slug from a 1911.

They are highly inaccurate. You have to aim 2 feet high at 25 yards to get hits on paper. If you don't aim high, the bullet will plunk on the ground about 10 yards past the barrel.

The 45acp round is so slow that it is actually possible to fire the gun, run downrange and set up sods cans, and return to the firing line, before the bullet arrives on target.

They cost $2000 to buy and then have to go straight to a gunsmith, which adds another $1000. If you skip the smith, then the gun will never work with hollowpoints.

John Browning was so ashamed of the design that he scrapped it and went on to make a handgun the worked. That gun was the Browning High Power and it was a 9mm.

Mr Glock took those concepts for Mr Browning and made the best fighting handgun ever known to mankind, The Glock 17.

The lesson: Buy, shoot, and carry whatever makes you happy!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28   #111
mrt949

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker View Post
stay away from the 1911s. The only place they should be seen are in glass cases in museums.

They were designed to fight the various indian tribes who used bows & arrows. They were so poorly designed that arrows lauch at higher velocities that a 45 slug from a 1911.

They are highly inaccurate. You have to aim 2 feet high at 25 yards to get hits on paper. If you don't aim high, the bullet will plunk on the ground about 10 yards past the barrel.

The 45acp round is so slow that it is actually possible to fire the gun, run downrange and set up sods cans, and return to the firing line, before the bullet arrives on target.

They cost $2000 to buy and then have to go straight to a gunsmith, which adds another $1000. If you skip the smith, then the gun will never work with hollowpoints.

John browning was so ashamed of the design that he scrapped it and went on to make a handgun the worked. That gun was the browning high power and it was a 9mm.

Mr glock took those concepts for mr browning and made the best fighting handgun ever known to mankind, the glock 17.

sounds good to me

Last edited by mrt949; 06-08-2013 at 06:04..
mrt949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 14:36   #112
mac66
Plant the seed

My name is Mac and I am a recovering 1911 snob..

Read all the gun mags in the 1960s and 70s. Prayed at the alter of Col. Cooper. Disparaged all handguns but the 1911. Carried one for years on a small PD where we could buy and carry what we wanted. Carried a Star PD or a Colt Commander off duty. Shot IPSC in the 80s with custom made 1911s, even built a couple. Still own several.

At some point, probably when the dept I worked for switched from S&W 686s to Glocks I kind of discovered that other pistols were ok. The G22 we were issued was a pretty darn good service pistol, it was easy to shoot, accurate, reliable, simple, had a good cartridge and good capacity. I got a really good deal (under $300) on a used .45 cal Ruger P97 which is Commander size and is really a nice pistol. My XD45 is really a nice pistol to carry as well as my Glock 21. I had Sig P220 that was pretty sweet as well.

I carry each of them occasionally just to switch off but rarely carry my 1911s anymore.

I kinda think the 1911 has the history, nostalgia, macho, he-man, professional warrior image which is why many of us carry or carried it or aspire to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 06-07-2013 at 14:40..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 15:53   #113
Mystic Knight
Mystic Knight

I'm curious as to why you are curious about a subject that obviously should not concern you. Do you not have anything else to worry about?

G17, G26, Ruger SR1911, Ruger Security Six,
S&W 36, Sig Pro 2009, Beretta 92FS, Sig Carry 1911, Ruger SR22, Titan 25 (carry for Satiddy Nite) (& need more!)
Mystic Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 16:04   #114
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
Stay away from the 1911s. The only place they should be seen are in glass cases in Museums.

They were designed to fight the various Indian Tribes who used bows & arrows. They were so poorly designed that arrows lauch at higher velocities that a 45 slug from a 1911.

John Browning was so ashamed of the design that he scrapped it and went on to make a handgun the worked. That gun was the Browning High Power and it was a 9mm.

Mr Glock took those concepts for Mr Browning and made the best fighting handgun ever known to mankind, The Glock 17.

when will we start drug testing around here?
Old 06-07-2013, 16:22   #115
ArlenGunClub

It's like everyone has said, personal preference. I don't own a 1911 but I shot my buddy's new Kimber a few weeks back. Wow!!! I shot it 10x more accurate than any gun I have ever fired. Dead on every time. But I don't have the money for a Kimber or other high end 1911 so ill stick with what I know. I'd honestly rather carry a glock because that's what I'm most comfortable with and I can shoot it very well. But if I had a couple grand laying around I would definitely throw a 1911 or two into the Carry rotation. Not big on the cheaper 1911s though. Don't shoot them well at all. If I went 1911 it would have to be a high end model because I shoot them so well and they are so SEXY!!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
ArlenGunClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 16:23   #116
saltydog

I carry a 1911 because i'm about as old as the design
Besides, if I don't get the bad guy in the first couple rounds, chances are he will get me. It's the luck shots from the bad guy that worries me the most.
saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 16:30   #117
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlenGunClub View Post
It's like everyone has said, personal preference. I don't own a 1911 but I shot my buddy's new Kimber a few weeks back. Wow!!! I shot it 10x more accurate than any gun I have ever fired. Dead on every time. But I don't have the money for a Kimber or other high end 1911 so ill stick with what I know. I'd honestly rather carry a glock because that's what I'm most comfortable with and I can shoot it very well. But if I had a couple grand laying around I would definitely throw a 1911 or two into the Carry rotation. Not big on the cheaper 1911s though. Don't shoot them well at all. If I went 1911 it would have to be a high end model because I shoot them so well and they are so SEXY!!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
A typical reaction from an open minded shooter when they give a good 1911 a try. There are some very nice 1911s out there for a grand and some under.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 16:34   #118
byf43
NRA Life Member

Why carry a 1911???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadel15L View Post
I'm curious as to why people carry a 1911. I don't mean to offend anybody. I am just curious because on paper it seems like an illogical carry weapon. When you look at magazine capacity, size, and weight I feel like you aren't really gaining anything over a lot of other guns. I don't own any 1911's but I have shot some and they are very nice guns that shoot well.

But is there something I am missing? Do 1911's have superior reliability or is simply just the fact that is the most proven design over the years? Or possibly just stubbornness to transition to 21st century designed guns? Please educate me.
I've not read any other replies, but, this is easy -

I haven't found a 1912 that I like.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 16:39   #119
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I carry a revolver. My backup is a Glock. My 1911 is the finest pistol I have ever shot. I wouldn't care to lose it for any reason.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 20:11   #120
MLittle

I was happily going along shooting my Sig P220 Carry......and loving it. Sure, my first shot wasn't as accurate as the following 7, but it was ok for self defense purposes....right? Then I shot a 1911. ****..... Now my first shot, and all the following shots were equally accurate, and the grouping was much tighter. I should NEVER have shot that 1911......it's ruined me for nearly all other handguns. Can I go back to the Sig? I shoot it from time to time, but my accuracy is going downhill with it and getting better with my 1911. I guess there's no going back. Oh yeah....I also have Glocks. Those I take to the beach or backpacking. Don't want to scratch my pretty Ed Brown.
MLittle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1911, concealed carry, thread title effect