GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 00:26   #76
12131
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy
 
12131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: God's Country (Texas)
Posts: 11,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
How do you know? Have you been in a firefight?
Does watching a firefight in a 3-D movie count?
__________________
NRA Lifer, GOA Lifer, SAF Lifer
Commie libs, criminals, and sheeple love gun control. It's easier to blame inanimate objects than the killers themselves.
Andrew Cuomo & Michael Bloomberg = Friends of criminals

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 00:38   #77
AZ Husker
Senior Member
 
AZ Husker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,227
Concealabilty, natural pointing, best trigger on the market, the ability to modify it to your needs, true safety, 100 years of experience, and wonderful quality ( on most models). There is a reason the vast majority of championship shooters choose 1911's.
__________________
Luck will run out, but skill will survive.
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 00:54   #78
G26AZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 558
The reason I now carry a Glock instead of a 1911 is $$. I used to carry a Colt Lightweight Commander. Slim, concealed well, beautiful trigger, seemed to point itself at whatever I wanted to shoot and hit it. Being only 28 oz it wasn't that much heavier than a comparable Glock. But, when I realized that I could sell the Commander, buy a new Glock .45, and still have several hundred dollars left to help us out right now - the Commander had to go. :( I'm trying really hard to develop a love for my G30, but there is a very definite difference in how it feels IWB, and I don't shoot it near as accurately as my old Commander - but its still a .45 so that's somewhat comforting. When finances improve in the future, I will more than likely find me a nice stainless Commander sized 1911 and go back to carrying that.

Last edited by G26AZ; 06-03-2013 at 08:33..
G26AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:07   #79
AZ Husker
Senior Member
 
AZ Husker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,227
I hope so. I'd hate to see anyone put their life on the line for a hundred bucks.
__________________
Luck will run out, but skill will survive.
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:33   #80
Todd00000
Get some!
 
Todd00000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: KSA
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadel15L View Post
This is not a troll thread at all. I'm asking a simple question that I want others opinions on. Sorry I'm not a member of a 1911 forum too. The sentence about stubbornness that you singled out was meant to be a little joke at the end of the post. If you don't want to participate in this thread then don't. I'm sorry you took offense to this.
What 21st Century design do you propose? Glock was made in the same Century as the 1911.
__________________
Todd 19,22,36
Todd00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26   #81
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 20,024
Does the Shield count as a gun designed in the new century?
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 13:39   #82
Boats
Not Assimilated
 
Boats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 1,297
One thing is for sure, carrying a 1911 isn't for the chest shaving sissy boys so prevalent today.

I remember what the USMC Staff Sergeant who introduced me to the M1911A1 said about having only seven shots:

"A million misses is not firepower. One hit is firepower."

I'll take accuracy and power over capacity and lesser power every day of the week. I also default to thin over too fat in the butt for concealed carry.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 13:45   #83
WayneJessie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
I carried a 1911 for over 30 years.
I recently went with a Glock 21. It was a difficult transition for me.
I like the Glocks but they are not a gun that I could not part with or care if it got messed up somehow.
I love the 1911's for so many reasons but the ones that you may understand are this.
They feel great.
They point great.
The triggers are great.
The accuracy is great.
They look cool as hell.
They have class, and "soul".
You have to own and carry them to understand that one.

I have 1911's that are completely dependable just as the Glocks are.
I do like the fact that I have 14 rounds of .45 in the Glock, but I feel very comfortable with 8 in the 1911's.
I think the bottom line here is that if I ever have to use it and then lose it due to legalities then I won't really care.
It's a cheap Glock.
I like it but I don't love it.
I love my 1911's.
You carried one for 30yrs. Could you imagine the backlash if a major PD got rid of their plastic pistols for 1911s ? I take my hat off to you for carrying one that long. I don't own a 1911 but I sure would like to. It's just not at the top of the list now. I imagine it would be about like carrying a CZ 75 as far as weight goes.
__________________
I'd own a Glock; were it not for Glock owners.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 14:22   #84
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
Just tossing this out.. I too have wondered why the interest in the 1911 when so many specs argue against it.

This thread has been informative and very civil. No intelligences have been insulted, but a lot of very strong opinions have been stated.

I have appreciated this thread.
I am curious as to how you decide "so many specs are against it" ?

If you want to pick your "specs", and one of them is "thickness for carry" then the specs are against a Glock. If you want to spec a manual safety then the 1911 wins again. If you spec the 1911 grip angle hard to say the 1911 doesn't win. If you spec a clean crisp trigger very few match the 1911.
If you spec accuracy the 1911 can be one of the most accurate handguns one can carry.

Besides that there is the more subjective criteria of "like". Not all of us feel the need to justify our decisions but cherry picking the criteria to validate them.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 14:34   #85
WayneJessie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,154
The simple fact that the 1911 has gone for a century unchanged is amazing. Glocks and other poly guns certainly have their virtues but I doubt we'll see any of them remain unchanged for that long. Makes me want to lay away a SR1911C so bad I can taste it. It'd make a great Sunday-go-to-meeting gun under my suit jacket
__________________
I'd own a Glock; were it not for Glock owners.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 15:48   #86
bhk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 392
For me, it is all about the TRIGGER!!!!!!!!! Because of the 1911's trigger, I can shoot it MUCH better than Glocks and M&Ps. I just bought a Shield and like it. I shoot it ok and will carry it some. But I honestly don't find it any more comfortable to carry IWB than my Commander. Yes, it is lighter, but the 1911 just 'fits' IWB better and (for me) shoots MUCH more quickly and with far greater accuracy.

There is a reason IDPA puts 1911s in a class by themselves. Hint: The average scores are higher!
bhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 16:09   #87
barth
six barrels
 
barth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Free Zone
Posts: 4,863
I'm most proficient with a HK45C.
So that's what I carry.
If I was most proficient with a 1911?
Then that's what I'd carry.

Last edited by barth; 06-03-2013 at 16:11..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 16:19   #88
wrx04
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Louisville
Posts: 945
I just got back from the range. I brought my Les Baer UTC, STI Trojan, G19, and Kahr PM9. There is no question i shoot the 1911's better, however, this could be because i shoot them more (they're just more fun IMO).

The only reason i prefer the g19/pm9 are capacity and concealabilty, respectively. After I got home, i considered going to the 1911 platform exclusively, but i think ill keep the polymer 9mm's around. They both have their strengths.

I shoot both plenty well for 'combat accuracy', but if i had to make a great shot on the first attempt, it would be the 1911 all day everyday.
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 16:31   #89
barth
six barrels
 
barth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Free Zone
Posts: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
I just got back from the range. I brought my Les Baer UTC, STI Trojan, G19, and Kahr PM9. There is no question i shoot the 1911's better, however, this could be because i shoot them more (they're just more fun IMO).

The only reason i prefer the g19/pm9 are capacity and concealabilty, respectively. After I got home, i considered going to the 1911 platform exclusively, but i think ill keep the polymer 9mm's around. They both have their strengths.

I shoot both plenty well for 'combat accuracy', but if i had to make a great shot on the first attempt, it would be the 1911 all day everyday.
When I say "most proficient with".
I don't mean target shooting at the range.
I shoot a 1911 better than any other auto
punching paper slow fire at the range.
I mean self defense combat shooting.
Carry, draw and fire under stress.
Flash sight picture and potentially controlled rapid fire.
We are talking carry here right?
I'm fluid, smooth, natural and deadly with my HK45C Light LEM.
Mostly because that's the platform I train endlessly with.

If I spent the time and effort to train, train, train
cocked and locked with a 1911?
Then maybe that's what I'd be most proficient with.

But I haven't. And it's not...

Last edited by barth; 06-03-2013 at 16:41..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 16:43   #90
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
When I say "most proficient with".
I don't mean target shooting at the range.
I shoot a 1911 better than any auto punching paper.
I mean self defense combat shooting.
Carry, draw and fire under stress.
We are talking carry here right?
I'm fluid, smooth, natural and deadly with my HK45C Light LEM.
Mostly because that's the platform I train endlessly with.

If I spent the time and effort to train, train, train
cocked and locked with a 1911?
Then maybe that's what I'd be most proficient with.

But it's not...
Not aimed at you, except for the "training" issue.

I don't know how many people, Glockers generally, who swear, up and down "cross-my-heart-swear-on-a-stack-of-bibles" that they will never have an AD with a Glock type system, because they profess that their "training" has been so complete they will never put their finger on the trigger until, and only, when they intend to fire.

Some of these same people are skeptical about whether they could ever learn to hit the thumb safety on a 1911 reliably and consistently, no matter how much they "train".


A cocked-and-locked 1911 is very fast and learning to hit the thumb safety is not as complicated as learning to juggle running chainsaws, like some folks seem to think.

The thumb safety is located in position that contacting it is apart of a natural drawstroke.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 16:49   #91
barth
six barrels
 
barth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Free Zone
Posts: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Not aimed at you, except for the "training" issue.

I don't know how many people, Glockers generally, who swear, up and down "cross-my-heart-swear-on-a-stack-of-bibles" that they will never have an AD with a Glock type system, because they profess that their "training" has been so complete they will never put their finger on the trigger until, and only, when they intend to fire.

Some of these same people are skeptical about whether they could ever learn to hit the thumb safety on a 1911 reliably and consistently, no matter how much they "train".


A cocked-and-locked 1911 is very fast and learning to hit the thumb safety is not as complicated as learning to juggle running chainsaws, like some folks seem to think.

The thumb safety is located in position that contacting it is apart of a natural drawstroke.
So you're saying it's train with a 1911.
Not train, train, train - LOL!

That may well be the case.
As I have no formal training or experience with a 1911.
But have read that it requires a higher level of training for carry than other platforms.
Maybe that's simply not true.

Understand that for me, in self defense,
things have to be as natural as breathing.
Action without thought.
But by instinct and muscle memory.
That's mostly where train, train, train comes from.
That's true for me with all weapons.

Last edited by barth; 06-03-2013 at 16:58..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 16:57   #92
Remington 870
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 148
Right on 257 roberts i agree!


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Remington 870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 17:00   #93
fallenangelhim
come get some
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 342
Because I can and choose to seems a reasonable response to give.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
The Kalashnikov Klub Member #1999
fallenangelhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 17:08   #94
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
So you're saying it's train with a 1911.
Not train, train, train - LOL!

That may well be the case.
As I have no formal training or experience with a 1911.
But have read that it requires a higher level of training for carry than other platforms.
Maybe that's simply not true.

Understand that for me, in self defense,
things have to be as natural as breathing.
Action without thought.
But by instinct and muscle memory.
That's mostly where train, train, train comes from.
That's true for me with all weapons.
You re overlooking the fact that the user of ANY handgun should "train" . No design is with that need. How much is dependent on the individual, not so much the design of the gun.

A clod with one type is no safer with another.


When I was a kid I hunted with rifles that had safeties on them, or. like a 94 Winchester, required cocking. It wasn't exactly a mental hurdle to clear to adopt the same sequence when I got my first 1911.

Do you, or have you, ever used a holster with a thumbsnap?

I don't think they are a necessity but I have several (and am wearing one now) but if one can manage the thumbsnap, it indicates the faculties are present for learning a thumb safety.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 17:31   #95
barth
six barrels
 
barth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Free Zone
Posts: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
You re overlooking the fact that the user of ANY handgun should "train" . No design is with that need. How much is dependent on the individual, not so much the design of the gun.

A clod with one type is no safer with another.


When I was a kid I hunted with rifles that had safeties on them, or. like a 94 Winchester, required cocking. It wasn't exactly a mental hurdle to clear to adopt the same sequence when I got my first 1911.

Do you, or have you, ever used a holster with a thumbsnap?

I don't think they are a necessity but I have several (and am wearing one now) but if one can manage the thumbsnap, it indicates the faculties are present for learning a thumb safety.
All 14 of my various handguns have no external safeties.
All of my holsters have no thumbsnap (sans ankle).
Draw, aim and squeeze (K.I.S.S.).
That's how I've shot, trained and carried for longer than I'd like to admit.

Eventually I'll have to try the 1911 combat thing.
I'm not opposed to gaining new skills.

Last edited by barth; 06-03-2013 at 17:32..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 17:37   #96
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 17,448
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I am not saying that there is no rational for your observation, in fact it is well thought out and an opinion worth consideration, as are many others.

I am tired of people putting forth an OPINION and trying to validate it, or add more gravitas to it, by making the false claim that it is "objective". This occurs like a plague today.

"well my opinion is objective, so it has more weight"

BS. It isn't a double blind study, obviously (in this case with averages) standards of proof and values are weighted differently depending on the desired conclusion, and then the issue of popularity in a poll conducted on a website who's very title is "GLOCKtalk" (no bias there) is used to shore up an opinion that claims to be objective?


Call it an personal opinion, call it an opinion of the opinions you've read, call it a summary of what you have seen, heck, stick a feather in it and call it "macaroni" ,

but don't call it "objective".
I literally LOL'd at this. Thanks, man; I needed that!
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 17:38   #97
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
All 14 of my various handguns have no external safeties.
All of my holsters have no thumbsnap (sans ankle).
Draw, aim and squeeze (K.I.S.S.).
That's how I've shot, trained and carried for longer than I'd like to admit.

Eventually I'll have to try the 1911 combat thing.
I'm not opposed to gaining new skills.
Good. One should always broaden their horizons. I'm sure if you managed to get that whole "parking brake" thing down in a car it will be a snap.

Last edited by countrygun; 06-03-2013 at 17:38..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 17:55   #98
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 17,448
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Good. One should always broaden their horizons. I'm sure if you managed to get that whole "parking brake" thing down in a car it will be a snap.
You're full of them today, lol.


As to why I personally do NOT carry a 1911, it goes to familiarity and training. On duty, my required and issued duty weapon is a Beretta 92D Vertec. DAO, no manual safety. Because I don't want to mess up my muscle memory for that, I carry another "point and shoot" type firearm (my term, though I'm sure I'm going to catch hell over it), a Glock 23. I already owned it when I started this job, and it carries and shoots well enough for me. And FYI, I have owned and carried several 1911s, full-size and officer-size. Now this thread has me hankering for another, though.....
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 17:57   #99
CBennett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA/Covered by LEOSA
Posts: 10,967
Because its a good solid weapon, heavier than a plastic fantastic and I LIKE that as it helps absorb the recoil for me. Time proven design. love the gun...just cant AFFORD a nice one or id be one carrying one also.
CBennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 18:03   #100
AZ Husker
Senior Member
 
AZ Husker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,227
Funny, I can ride my Harley just as well as I can drive my truck. Almost sounds like people here have to choose between one model or another. Can't you become proficient on more than one?
__________________
Luck will run out, but skill will survive.
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
1911, concealed carry, thread title effect
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,386
403 Members
983 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42