Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2013, 00:27   #41
blueshot3

Here's the thing I preached to people all day long when they come to me about handgun questions people always ask what is the best handgun out there I always say you need to go to a store that has a bunch of guns to choose from hold A bunch of guns and if you can shoot several then make your decision let's face it any handgun over 400 or $500 is basically going to be the same it comes down to personal preference me personally when I was a kid the first semi auto that I shot was a Glock because of that is what I'm used to it it's what I like it's not that it's a supergun it's just what I like

Posted via Siri

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades and last time I hit a man with a horseshoe he just got pissed.
Iím # 3333
blueshot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 00:43   #42
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Wait till the OP finds out that some of us old foggies still carry wheelguns for self defense!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 05-13-2013, 02:10   #43
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
People carry what they shoot best.
People carry what they carry for many different reasons.

I have come to the conclusion that the largest percentage of choices made on carry weapons is based on "like". I think a lot of people simply carry what they like, and then form rationalizations to support carrying what they like.

There are a lot of side-arms that people carry that I just can't logically call good decisions. None-the-less, those people have very stubbornly held reasons for carrying what they do, and no logical debate will sway their opinions.

Let's face it, very few people shoot a 2" 357MAG snubby best. And if everyone made their choices based purely on logic, everyone would carry something like a G19.

And that would be boring.

I do agree that 1911s aren't the best carry choice, but they do have some positive attributes. Still, there are better logical choices for carry out there, especially at that size and weight. But if you ever get the chance to debate the topic with a 1911 lover, you will never sway them away from their decision.

Why? Because most people carry what they "like".

I do think that a lot of "debates" could be cut short if people could simply admit that their choice in carry weapon is based on what they like, and leave it at that.
M&P15T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:21   #44
mrt949

[QUOTE=fnfalman;20287565]Wait till the OP finds out that some of us old foggies still carry wheelguns for self defense!!!

I am one of those old fogies that carry a revolver most of the time .
But I always have a mouse gun in my pocket .
mrt949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:22   #45
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

I carry a Wilson Combat for work and an old Colt Lightweight Commander the rest of the time. OK.... occasionally my Ruger LC9 also.

I look at my Colt more fondly than my Wilson, it has more style or something

I would carry an HK, Sig, Glock, Smith also if I had to and wouldn't mind as long as they ran fine.

Love my 1911s for reason already stated by others. In the end though they are just guns.

I someone gave me a USP Compact tomorrow, I'd carry it without a though cause they appeal to me
Old 05-13-2013, 02:28   #46
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
People carry what they carry for many different reasons.

I have come to the conclusion that the largest percentage of choices made on carry weapons is based on "like". I think a lot of people simply carry what they like, and then form rationalizations to support carrying what they like.

There are a lot of side-arms that people carry that I just can't logically call good decisions. None-the-less, those people have very stubbornly held reasons for carrying what they do, and no logical debate will sway their opinions.

Let's face it, very few people shoot a 2" 357MAG snubby best. And if everyone made their choices based purely on logic, everyone would carry something like a G19.

And that would be boring.

I do agree that 1911s aren't the best carry choice, but they do have some positive attributes. Still, there are better logical choices for carry out there, especially at that size and weight. But if you ever get the chance to debate the topic with a 1911 lover, you will never sway them away from their decision.

Why? Because most people carry what they "like".

I do think that a lot of "debates" could be cut short if people could simply admit that their choice in carry weapon is based on what they like, and leave it at that.

"something like" is a pretty broad statement. What if a person chose based on inherent accuracy? they wouldn't make the choice you selected. Suppose they based on power? again, the G-19 would lose. Even using the broad bush of "like" a 9mm pistol would be a horrible choice for a couple of uses I have actually put a handgun to and I am glad I didn't have to use one.Also given that people shoot better with a gun they feel comfortable with and feels good? there are a lot of guns that feel better to me than a G-19. There are too many reasons involved and your idea of what is "logical" is just as subjective as anyone else's.

Calling something "logical" is a subjective rationalization as much as any reason. After almost 4 decades of hooting a G-19 wouldn't be my idea of "logical", in fact just trying to say what, even broadly, everyone would chose "something like" is quite illogical. Your criteria for measuring "logical" is going to be different from someone else's.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:22   #47
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
"something like" is a pretty broad statement. What if a person chose based on inherent accuracy? they wouldn't make the choice you selected. Suppose they based on power? again, the G-19 would lose. Even using the broad bush of "like" a 9mm pistol would be a horrible choice for a couple of uses I have actually put a handgun to and I am glad I didn't have to use one.Also given that people shoot better with a gun they feel comfortable with and feels good? there are a lot of guns that feel better to me than a G-19. There are too many reasons involved and your idea of what is "logical" is just as subjective as anyone else's.

Calling something "logical" is a subjective rationalization as much as any reason. After almost 4 decades of hooting a G-19 wouldn't be my idea of "logical", in fact just trying to say what, even broadly, everyone would chose "something like" is quite illogical. Your criteria for measuring "logical" is going to be different from someone else's.
On accuracy, a G19 (and any quality pistol) has more inherent mechanical accuracy than shooters have the ability to utilize. And, of course, inherent mechanical accuracy is very low on the priority list (logically) when deciding on a carry firearm. Things like concealability, weight, capacity, sights, etc., are more important for the average CCWer. Carrying a firearm for self-defense has very little to do with standing tall on the firing line and shooting for accuracy at 25 yards.....for the average CCWer.

Power? 9MM has (give or take) the same effective power as .40, 45ACP, .357, or any standard service cartridge. Folks that think that there is any major real-world effectiveness differences between the standard service cartridges are miss-informed. They all perform about the same in the real world when it comes to stopping threats.

And while a G19 (or one of the many similar pistols out there) might not fit your needs, it is a weapon that fits the majority of CCWers needs. Your trying to reply to my post as if it was directed specifically at you is silly. I was looking broad-scope at CCWers as a whole, on average, not focusing on any singular person's needs. You're taking my post subjectively, as if it were addressed towards you and your needs......but it wasn't, it's just an objective observation.

The fact that you think something like G19 isn't a logical choice for the average CCWer, just means that it doesn't fit your needs, not that that statement is un-true. And my assessment of something like a G19 being a good choice is not subjective at all. It's a purely objective observation, based on years of considering what most people need, and most people carry. Here on GT we had a poll thread for a few years, and the G19 was by far the most purchased/carried (favorite) GLOCK pistol.....by far. And since GLOCK has a very real dominance on the current pistol market, it stands to reason that G19s (as a singular, specific model) probably represent the most purchased CCW piece on the market today. Toss in 9MM pistols that are similar in size, weight and capacity to the G19, and that particular category is dominant in sales and usage.

That is what I like to call objective information.

As far as the rest of your reply.......I'm glad we can agree. People normally carry what they "like". Whether they like it because they shoot it well, saw their favorite actor use it in a movie, see LEOs carrying them, their friend has one, they're jumping on the latest band-wagon, or it just looks "cool" to them, is immaterial.......they like them, and that's what matters most. 1911s aren't the best choice out there for the average CCWer, but people do like them.

So, to answer the OPs question objectively; why do people carry 1911s? Most people carry them because they like them.

ETA: One must also consider the "Thread Title Effect", which is very real. The TTE comes into play when your thread title has a specific firearm (ie; "1911") in it. If you have any particular firearm specifically mentioned in your thread title, you will absolutely get that particular firearm's lovers running to post in your thread about how great they are.

Case in point: There have been MANY revolver vrs. auto threads here. And every time, revolver lovers (a particularly passionate group) come running to them, to post about how awesome they are, and how everyone should carry one. The revolver fans (especially the snubby lovers) will argue so hard, for so long, and dominate the thread so badly, that one would get the impression that most people carry revolvers.

But all one has to do, is the go to the stickied thread poll at the top of this sub-forum to see that almost 90% of people here choose to carry an automatic pistol.

So, beware of the Thread Title Effect.

Last edited by M&P15T; 05-13-2013 at 04:33..
M&P15T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02   #48
Bob Hafler

I was introduced to the 1911 back in 1966 in boot camp. There was just something about that pistol that I just loved. Perhaps it was the trigger, or maybe the 45 caliber bullet it shot, or it's natural point ability, or all the above.
Yes it was heavy, but it just felt oh so right in my hand. My love for the 1911 has never diminished. I do like other pistols, and own many different brands and styles. None however will ever live up to the 1911. Like the M1 Garand it's and American Icon. As far as I'm concerned JMB's birthday should be a National Holiday.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:00   #49
Pier23

I am really enjoying this thread. The only 1911 I have is my father's WWII era which is OK, but I have never gotten an "OH....wow" feel from it. But I guess I should try one from the current century before I give up on the platform entirely.

If I may, I would like to toss out a related question.

Does anyone here carry a 1911 in a cartridge OTHER than a .45? Meaning...is the attraction with the 1911 coming from the pattern of the 1911 itself, regardless of caliber or is it the best pattern for using a .45 cartridge?
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:12   #50
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
Does anyone here carry a 1911 in a cartridge OTHER than a .45? Meaning...is the attraction with the 1911 coming from the pattern of the 1911 itself, regardless of caliber or is it the best pattern for using a .45 cartridge?
I don't but then again I don't own a 1911 that isn't full size either. The one I had, I traded for a new 580 mini 14. In all steel pistols in a 9mm I love the CZ 75's over the 1911's. JMHO but some guns it seems where meant to be full size and shoot 45's and some where meant to shoot 9mm's, and the CZ75's do that very well.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:26   #51
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
Same reason for carrying any other make/model. Personal preference.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28   #52
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Can someone please tell me which firearm mentioned in this thread was designed in the 21st century? Certainly not Glock, XD, or CZ's.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38   #53
Tombo 65

Some people don't feel comfortable with less than 15 rounds in their firearm. I am not one of those people, but I understand the mentality. If I lived in an urban area, or a city, where the likelihood of encountering numerous assailants was greater, I would stick with a hi-cap semi-auto.

Living in Vermont, I don't feel undergunned with a J-frame S&W with a pocket of extra rounds, or a SA XDS with a spare mag or two in my back pocket.

I think any decent 1911 is a fine choice for concealed carry. Weight would be more of an issue than capacity for me. Sometimes an all-steel gun is a bit to weighty. 1911's are nice and thin, and I also like that extra mags are thin as well. Yeah, with a G17 or 22 you may not need an extra mag, but there are times when the bulk of a hi-cap firearm is just not that convenient or compatible with the day's activities.

We could all use 6-point harness instead of normal seat belts and be much safer, but the trade-off for convenience and normal risk is acceptable for most people. I feel that way about carrying a revolver or 1911. Yeah, I'd love to be able to pack huge amounts of firepower, but I will probably never need it and the negative impact on my daily activities would be too large. If I had to work or spend time in an area with a lot of gang activity I would definitely be more inclined to carry my G22 with two extra mags.

I guess I see both sides on this one, though. The 1911 is a superb firearm design and in my experience it is inherently capable of greater accuracy based on barrel lock-up and trigger design. On the other hand, they are heavy compared to the number of rounds they carry, and can be a bit more finicky about ammo and maintenance.

For me, the 1911 design will not be out-dated or obsolete until projectile weapons themselves become obsolete. They are not the end-all and be-all of handguns, but if a 1911 were the only handgun I owned I would not feel insecure in any environment other than large bear territory or the African continent.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:43   #54
jtull7
Pistolero

My EDC is a Wilson Combat Professional .45. My theory is that if you can't get it done with eight rounds, you ain't gonna get it done.

Since when I am out of the house, I am either in a wheelchair or walking with two canes, here is how I carry concealed:

General Firearms Forum

The pistol in the photo is not the Wilson, but a Kimber Pro Carry.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:57   #55
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
I am really enjoying this thread. The only 1911 I have is my father's WWII era which is OK, but I have never gotten an "OH....wow" feel from it. But I guess I should try one from the current century before I give up on the platform entirely.
The only thing the old M1911 needed was a decent set of iron sights.

Quote:
My preferred M1911 Colt is in .38 Super; both full size and Commander size
Old 05-13-2013, 12:23   #56
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Can someone please tell me which firearm mentioned in this thread was designed in the 21st century? Certainly not Glock, XD, or CZ's.
phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:28   #57
WarEagle32

I own and have owned a full size Sig 1911 that I really like for several years. I carry a Glock 9mm everywhere I go.
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 13:16   #58
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range
That's from a movie that came from the last century as well, time travelling assassins notwithstanding.

Old 05-13-2013, 13:18   #59
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I used to carry a G30. I still have it, but it only gets shot once or twice a year. I like 1911's, I shoot them well, I reload them quickly, I'm more likely to have spare mags on me and I've never thought it was tough to wear or conceal.

Old 05-13-2013, 13:27   #60
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

And even when I don't carry my snubbie or an M1911 Commander .38 Super, my other first choice would be the SIG P245. Single stack mag and all that.

Why? Because it's small, concealable AND shoots like the wind. I don't worry about high-cap mags because I don't intend to miss much. Unlike the police who has the police department, the police union and the FOP to back them in if their stray bullets hit something else, I got nobody but maybe a shyster lawyer that I probably can't afford.

So, no, I don't go about looking to fight off Jihadists/biker gangs/militia/KKK/Black Panthers. And if I do, I'll make sure that I won't be blazing away with suppressive fire and whatever else the kewl kids do nowadays.

Tags
1911, concealed carry, thread title effect