SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-12-2013, 18:13   #21
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadel15L View Post
I'm curious as to why people carry a 1911. I don't mean to offend anybody. I am just curious because on paper it seems like an illogical carry weapon. When you look at magazine capacity, size, and weight I feel like you aren't really gaining anything over a lot of other guns. I don't own any 1911's but I have shot some and they are very nice guns that shoot well.

But is there something I am missing? Do 1911's have superior reliability or is simply just the fact that is the most proven design over the years? Or possibly just stubbornness to transition to 21st century designed guns? Please educate me.
Because some guy named Jeff Cooper told them they had to.

I carried 1911's for a number of years, but gave them up about 12 years ago when I switched to Glocks.

1911's are a fine weapon. But they are heavy and only hold 8 rounds. Yeah I know there are double stack versions, but they aren't technically 1911's. There are much better choices in this day and age.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 18:16   #22
ratf51

I don't know of any "21st century designed" guns, yet. So, other than external design that may, or may not, be more ergonomic that is a non-starter of a statement. As a private citizen I have carried revolvers and semi-autos. I have carried Glocks and a 1911 at times. I have carried them with confidence knowing that I could rely on any of them. And as someone has already pointed out-- it does boil down to personal preference. I appreciate and use my Glocks, but I love my 1911, even though it is no longer my EDC. So, those that do carry a 1911 daily are comfortable and trained in its operation, they prefer its ergonomics, and they can probably shoot your eyes out with it. And because there is this intangible something about a 1911.
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 18:20   #23
nipperwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I have to say I think it was tacky of you to even infer

"Or possibly just stubbornness to transition to 21st century designed guns? "

At that point, given that you are on "GLOCKtalk" and not a 1911 forum it was rather a foolish statement to even make.

I have many more "modern" guns but do carry a 1911 when I want, because I want.

I don't want to ring the Troll alarm on my own, we'll just see if anyone else gets the whiff of it that I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
Some guys just shoot it real good and its operation is like second nature to them.

Same reason some guys prefer revolvers.

Besides, this is America man. 1911s, ARs and Apple pie for all.

Most of the Glocks, SIGs, Berettas and H&Ks that many people like are not firearms designed in the 21st century. Try 70s, 80s and 90s from last century.

Newer things like the M&P, FN, etc. sure but they are more an evolution of last century's plastic wonders.
+1

Quote:
We've gone from Socrates, to Snooki.
Ducky, NCIS
nipperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 18:22   #24
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
Because some guy named Jeff Cooper told them they had to.

The Colonel did not tell me I HAD to, however he did teach me how to win using one.
Old 05-12-2013, 19:04   #25
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
The Colonel did not tell me I HAD to, however he did teach me how to win using one.
You can win with any handgun if you have the knowledge, skills and attitude to do so.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 19:07   #26
glock2740
Gun lover.

I carry a Glock of some sort about 75% of the time and a 1911 of some sort the rest. I feel just fine with the capacity of the 1911. I also carry a SP101 from time to time as well. It only holds 5 rounds. I usually toss two speedloadeers in my pocket when I carry, but sometimes I don't. To each his own. I LOVE the 1911 and Glock platforms. My two favorite pistol platforms.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 19:07   #27
countrygun

I am going to assume I misinterpreted the attempt at humor and take a stab at this for grins an be cause I am willing to bet that around this forum I am in the 90th percentile when it comes to length of ownership (that would be since 1976)

When I bought my first 1911, series70, there were only three "high cap major" caliber pistols available, BHP, MAB, and the S&W 59 was going through birth pangs. 9mm ammo sucked. At the time it was all ".357 vs.45acp" so I set out to get one of each and see which I preferred. I never really settled that one.

Since then I have purchased all kinds of semi-autos, Springfield XDs, Glocks, CZs and clones, Taurus, Star, Browning, Beretta etc. So I am not unwilling to change. What is most telling is actually not my story, but my wife's.

With all of the handguns I had she became enamored with my Kimber compact. I was carrying it because of my familiarity, its accuracy and round, and the fact that it was stainless steel and, riding flat to my body as I needed, in our costal environment it would have ruined a fine bluing job.

At any rate SWMBO became rather enchanted with a big bullet coming out of a slim pistol that had a nice trigger and no DA/SA transition to learn or no mushy striker fired action to overcome. But, the Compact was something of an enigma to her. She could not find a comfortable way to carry it but yet it wasn't a "range gun" to her. So she set about to remedy that. First the carry issue was dealt with by her unsolicited, un aided (I know nothing, I see nothing) by yours truly, purchase of a Kimber Ultra Raptor II CS. She then set about a one-woman crusade to make sure no 1911-like pistol sat in our tiny LGS guncase for more than week. She has brought home 3 more full size 1911s, Springfield Trophy Match, SIG Scorpion and Taurus PT1911.

You see, besides all the other advantages, she has discovered that the feel and the controls and ergonomics of the 1911 transfer to all sizes and variations. As long as it has a flat mainspring housing she has no trouble transitioning from the Raptor to any full size, and she shoots them well. One system-many sizes She is starting to eye my recently acquired Star PD as a lightweight version of my stainless compact. Heaven help my bank account if the LGS gets a decent alloy framed compact type, there isn't a good "cheap" one.

Now to make life even more interesting we decided last night that before summer is over we are going to pick up one of the RIA 10mm 1911s. She wants to spend time with my other 10mms and we may be ordering a pair of them.

The next thing will be a fullsized frame dedicated to a .22 conversion unit.

I don't know where she got it from but she thinks that throwing a big bullet is better than throwing a small one and she simply shoots a 1911 better than any other big bore semi and that is important to her. Come to think of it, to me as well.

she figured out quickly what it's taken me most of my adult life to relearn.

Last edited by countrygun; 05-12-2013 at 23:18..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 19:35   #28
Adamz04

I'm kinda with the OP on this one.
Sometimes I think it has to do with when you got involved/started shooting/started carrying a gun. I've only been in the game about 6 years and I have never been drawn to 1911s. I agree they look great, but I don't see any practicality. If you started on a 1911 or like you will be more likely to have an attachment to the platform. I started on a beretta 96 and moved from that to a XD then to a glock.

To each his own but I wouldn't want to carry a gun that weighs 40oz, is 8 inches long, 6 inches tall, and holds 7 rounds of 45acp which in many factory loadings these days is ballistically inferior to .40/357sig/and even some 9mm.

When I see someone carrying one I always think its pretty cool that they can do it, but they are not for me.
Old 05-12-2013, 19:44   #29
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

The 1911 is also just an accurate gun that I seem to never forget how to shoot. I actually haven't shot one of my 1911s since Dec last year. I decided to bring my DW Valor with me when I shot my M&P 9mm last week and the first 5 shots out of it where all in the X ring at 15 yards. Definitely put a smile on my face

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 05-12-2013 at 19:45..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 20:15   #30
ratf51

I want to echo a bit of CG and Nakano-- I took my daughter shooting, I walked her through a Ruger MKIII, then to a S&W 686 with light .38s moving up to .357, then to my G22, and last my Colt Combat Commander in .45ACP. This was her first time really shooting, she had shot my MKIII on one other occasion but only for a few shots. At the conclusion of our trip I asked her which she might like to shoot more out of what we shot that day. She pointed to the Combat Commander as the pistol she would like to start with on our next trip. She shot it best (after the MKIII) of all the other pistols.

I am more accurate with my Commander than with my Glocks-- I just shoot it better. But truth be known, I shoot my revolver best. (Not that I am that good, all my handguns are more accurate than me.) But I have my biggest smile shooting my 1911.
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 20:33   #31
Glock26z

I,being disabled and sorts,I carry my .38+p LCR or SP101 when I am on my motorised scooter cart.,I carry a revolver. Some times one of my 3 S&W m64s. Mainly my 3 incher but,when my artur isn't giveing me crap,I carry my RIA 1911 CS 3.5 inch and I can rack it ok but,there are days I can't.
Glock26z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 20:43   #32
r3dot

No need to get butt hurt. The guy has solid points.

I love the 1911 platform. It is undoubtedly one of the best shooting and most accurate handguns, but I would not CC one based on weight alone, and I'm not much of a fan of the various different sized down 1911's. I'd probably open carry one if it were legal here.
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 20:55   #33
deadmanglocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I carry a Glock of some sort about 75% of the time and a 1911 of some sort the rest. I feel just fine with the capacity of the 1911. I also carry a SP101 from time to time as well. It only holds 5 rounds. I usually toss two speedloadeers in my pocket when I carry, but sometimes I don't. To each his own. I LOVE the 1911 and Glock platforms. My two favorite pistol platforms.
Dang near verbatim to what I would have posted. Except my 5 shot is a 649.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
deadmanglocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 22:02   #34
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
I'm curious as to why people carry a 1911.

When you look at magazine capacity, size, and weight I feel like you aren't really gaining anything over a lot of other guns.

I've owned pretty much all of the 'other guns' and the only auto pistols I now own are 1911A1s. Magazine capacity is a non issue but the weight is a deal breaker for me when it comes to choosing it for CCW as it was designed as a military sidearm. On the rare ocassion I do carry it's a ti 38 snub. I have am alloy commander build in process so my choice may change!
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 22:32   #35
bac1023

Quote:
I'm curious as to why people carry a 1911. I don't mean to offend anybody. I am just curious because on paper it seems like an illogical carry weapon. When you look at magazine capacity, size, and weight I feel like you aren't really gaining anything over a lot of other guns. I don't own any 1911's but I have shot some and they are very nice guns that shoot well.

But is there something I am missing? Do 1911's have superior reliability or is simply just the fact that is the most proven design over the years? Or possibly just stubbornness to transition to 21st century designed guns? Please educate me.
It's all about what you get used to. A 1911 is my main carry gun and that's not changing anytime soon.

bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 22:46   #36
ancient_serpent

Carried M9's and Glock 19 as duty weapons; I go to a 1911 for CC. I shoot better with it and prefer a single stack magazine profile for conceal ability. Would have gladly carried one of my 1911's with me overseas.
I don't feel "out gunned" at all with "only" 8 rounds per magazine.
I'm very well aware of and trained on newer designs, I choose to CC a 1911 because it's reliable, accurate and perfectly fits my needs in a handgun.

Last edited by ancient_serpent; 05-12-2013 at 22:46..
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 23:09   #37
RetDet

Send a message via AIM to RetDet
Seanmac45 is 100% correct. I took one of my 1911's to Gunsite twice, and never had a problem. I did, however, beat every Glockshooter I shot against. Lot's of rounds didn't help them, but DVC certainly sunk their ships.
Old 05-12-2013, 23:15   #38
Citadel15L

Thanks guys. I appreciate and respect all the feedback and opinions. I am definitely a novice when it comes to gun knowledge. But I do understand that guns are not a "one size fits all" thing. A couple of you fellas summed it up perfectly by saying "it's just what you are most comfortable with".

One day I'll snag me a nice 1911 to see what all the fuss is about!
Old 05-12-2013, 23:19   #39
darkenfast

There are certain pistols that just make you go: "Oooooh!", when you pick them up. 1911's and Browning Hi-Powers are two of the more famous examples. Many people of different sizes find the basic 1911 to be an easy gun to handle and shoot. When I carried one briefly in the military, I saw a 4' 10" gnome-like female qualify with the 1911-A1 when she absolutely could not handle anything else. K-frame Smith and Wesson revolvers are another example: people may drool over Pythons, but the K just feels good. If, under stress, the gun comes up naturally and you hit center without consciously using the sights, then that gun is a winner for you. For many people, the combination of weight, size, angle and balance, trigger and moderate recoil of the 1911 are a good fit. For me, it's a BHP, but I'd be happy with a Government Model too.
darkenfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 23:45   #40
sns3guppy

Quote:
I am just curious because on paper it seems like an illogical carry weapon. When you look at magazine capacity, size, and weight I feel like you aren't really gaining anything over a lot of other guns.
Capacity is really a non-issue. I'm very comfortable with a five or six round revolver and a speed strip or speed loader in the pocket. I'm very comfortable with six, seven, or eight rounds in a magazine and chamber, and another magazine in my belt line.

I often carry a HK45C with no more capacity than a 1911.

The 1911 is a flat, thin firearm that conceals well, carries well, is comfortable to shoot, and can be kept reliable. It's very ergonomic. A good 1911 is very accurate, very quick into action, very safe, very natural to use.

The bottom line, for me, is that I don't need a reason or an excuse to carry a 1911. I've had them for many years. I like them. They appeal to me. They're very familiar. What I own is very reliable, and I shoot them well. I own Berettas, Sigs, Rugers, S&W's, and all kinds of other handguns; some of them are very good. Few of them have the same appeal as the 1911, and that's good enough reason to carry them, own them, shoot them, or maintain them.

My regular carry personal handgun is a Sig P239 in .40, but I'm often fielding a HK45C these days. There's nothing illogical or uncomfortable about a 1911, however. They were a great design when introduced, and they're an even better design today.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1911, concealed carry, thread title effect