Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-12-2013, 16:24   #1
Citadel15L

Why carry a 1911?

I'm curious as to why people carry a 1911. I don't mean to offend anybody. I am just curious because on paper it seems like an illogical carry weapon. When you look at magazine capacity, size, and weight I feel like you aren't really gaining anything over a lot of other guns. I don't own any 1911's but I have shot some and they are very nice guns that shoot well.

But is there something I am missing? Do 1911's have superior reliability or is simply just the fact that is the most proven design over the years? Or possibly just stubbornness to transition to 21st century designed guns? Please educate me.
Old 05-12-2013, 16:30   #2
pbs357

I don't have a 1911 but its on my list. Reasons taken from shooting others' pistols were thin grip, crisp consistent trigger, and a number of things that lend it to be so inherently accurate.

Cons are definitely capacity and weight.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
pbs357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 16:33   #3
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadel15L View Post
I'm curious as to why people carry a 1911. I don't mean to offend anybody. I am just curious because on paper it seems like an illogical carry weapon. When you look at magazine capacity, size, and weight I feel like you aren't really gaining anything over a lot of other guns. I don't own any 1911's but I have shot some and they are very nice guns that shoot well.

But is there something I am missing? Do 1911's have superior reliability or is simply just the fact that is the most proven design over the years? Or possibly just stubbornness to transition to 21st century designed guns? Please educate me.

I have to say I think it was tacky of you to even infer

"Or possibly just stubbornness to transition to 21st century designed guns? "

At that point, given that you are on "GLOCKtalk" and not a 1911 forum it was rather a foolish statement to even make.

I have many more "modern" guns but do carry a 1911 when I want, because I want.

I don't want to ring the Troll alarm on my own, we'll just see if anyone else gets the whiff of it that I do.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 16:38   #4
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Some guys just shoot it real good and its operation is like second nature to them.

Same reason some guys prefer revolvers.

Besides, this is America man. 1911s, ARs and Apple pie for all.

Most of the Glocks, SIGs, Berettas and H&Ks that many people like are not firearms designed in the 21st century. Try 70s, 80s and 90s from last century.

Newer things like the M&P, FN, etc. sure but they are more an evolution of last century's plastic wonders.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 05-12-2013 at 16:46..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 16:39   #5
Citadel15L

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I have to say I think it was tacky of you to even infer

"Or possibly just stubbornness to transition to 21st century designed guns? "

At that point, given that you are on "GLOCKtalk" and not a 1911 forum it was rather a foolish statement to even make.

I have many more "modern" guns but do carry a 1911 when I want, because I want.

I don't want to ring the Troll alarm on my own, we'll just see if anyone else gets the whiff of it that I do.
This is not a troll thread at all. I'm asking a simple question that I want others opinions on. Sorry I'm not a member of a 1911 forum too. The sentence about stubbornness that you singled out was meant to be a little joke at the end of the post. If you don't want to participate in this thread then don't. I'm sorry you took offense to this.
Old 05-12-2013, 16:40   #6
ronin.45

People carry what they like. Some prefer a revolver, some a 1911, some a modern poly pistol. While I tend to agree with your assessment of the 1911, I wouldn't think of dissuading anyone from carrying one.
Old 05-12-2013, 17:09   #7
Filhar

I like shooting 1911s, I like shooting SAAS, but for carry, I had to pick between a Glock 30 and an XDM 3.8 compact 45. Really Don't understand the XDS hype either. Capacity plus caliber win.
Filhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 17:14   #8
Kalmah
Supreme Member

Same reason for carrying any other make/model. Personal preference.
Old 05-12-2013, 17:23   #9
tbc

Because people that carry a 1911 are most proficient with it.

Sent from iPhone

Last edited by tbc; 05-12-2013 at 17:32..
tbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 17:29   #10
Jim S.

I carried a 1911 for over 30 years.
I recently went with a Glock 21. It was a difficult transition for me.
I like the Glocks but they are not a gun that I could not part with or care if it got messed up somehow.
I love the 1911's for so many reasons but the ones that you may understand are this.
They feel great.
They point great.
The triggers are great.
The accuracy is great.
They look cool as hell.
They have class, and "soul".
You have to own and carry them to understand that one.

I have 1911's that are completely dependable just as the Glocks are.
I do like the fact that I have 14 rounds of .45 in the Glock, but I feel very comfortable with 8 in the 1911's.
I think the bottom line here is that if I ever have to use it and then lose it due to legalities then I won't really care.
It's a cheap Glock.
I like it but I don't love it.
I love my 1911's.
Old 05-12-2013, 17:34   #11
rohanreginald
Novice

A 1911 is the only full size combat pistol I can comfortably carry with good concealability. I carry mine when I want to have a full size combat pistol on me.

Other times I carry a smaller pistol for more comfort.
I have other full size pistols, but the 1911 does so much more and does it well.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 05-12-2013, 17:42   #12
jp3975

They shoot great but capacity kills it for me.

Id rather have 15[or 20 with a mag extension] of the more powerful 10mm.[Glock 20]

Or 15-17 rounds of 9mm.
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 17:43   #13
boarsblood

Because they've never shot a CZ75..

Hope is a dangerous commodity. If one has material advantages to rely upon then one can indulge in hope. - Thucydides
boarsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 17:45   #14
Garweh
CLM Number 1
Charter Lifetime Member

I'll take a stab at this: I have been a member of Glocktalk and have carried a Glock27 for many years. Enjoyed the 27 and carried it or my Ruger LCP everyday. I took a course at the Sig Academy in January. Purchased a Sig 1911 Ultra Carry and it is now my EDC along with the LCP. Sold the Glock. NO comparison in quality between the Glock and the Sig. The Sig is awesome. 7+1 for the Sig vs. 9+1 for the Glock27. I do not feel that the loss of 2 rounds is a big deal, can only carry 7 in a mag in NYS now anyway.

Literally "ran into" a NYS Police BCI investigator at a thruway rest stop last week (I was going into men's room, he was coming out). Long story short: the NYS police carry the Glock35 in 45GAP. I was carrying my Sig. The trooper even admitted that the Glock35 had nowhere the fit-and-finish of the Sig 1911. He was extremely envious of my Sig; had to wipe "trooper drool" of my Sig! Capacity goes to the Glock; fit/finish/shoot ability (in my hands (YMMV) goes to the Sig.
Garweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 17:52   #15
wired1

Don't have one but its on the list. What I like is its a single stack 45. Capacity means nothing to me living in NY. We can only have a 10 round mag loaded with 7 rounds. So thin and a big round got more appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 17:59   #16
barth
six barrels

It's not complicated

People carry what they shoot best.
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 18:02   #17
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

I carried a Glock 19 and Glock 26 for ten years as a cop. The day I retired so did they. Been carrying 1911's ever since, and I can carry anything I want.

Reasons?

There is no more accurate or faster first shot capability than a properly tuned 1911
I can perform .18 spilits on hammers with a 1911, Glock is nowhere near as quick
1911's are incredibly slim and therefore easy to conceal
The gun points perfectly in my hands (and in many others)
The controls are perfectly placed ergonomically
The .45 round is devastating in the street shootings I have personally witnessed
I have wrestled with mutts who have sustained three center mass hits with 9mm's
If you have to use a 1911 as a bludgeon it works right nice; Glocks tend to disassemble
I have studied the 1911 intensely, shot Expert at Gunsite with one and have built three
Aeshtetically it is one of the nicest looking pistols around
Anyone I have ever covered with a .45 grew HUGE eyeballs as they looked down that muzzle
The 1911 has a history like no other; it is an American icon

Other than that, no I don't know why I carry one.

Last edited by seanmac45; 05-12-2013 at 18:06..
seanmac45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 18:08   #18
soflasmg

I carried a 1911 for years and recently changed back to a glock 19.

1911s conceal superbly with a proper holster, even though they are only slightly thinner than a Glock. I shoot them well. They are beautiful aesthetically. There is a snob appeal (carried a Wilson Combat aluminum frame)

Big problem to me is the fact that after 4 or 5 shots, you are in ammo trouble.

I shoot glocks as well as 1911, but the mag capacity brought me back to the glock.

I carried a g19 for 15 years, 1911 for five, and now back to a g19. 9mm with 127 grain ranger +p+ is good enough for me.
soflasmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 18:10   #19
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

If the muzzle of a 5" 1911 didn't smack the seat when I sit down and if the grip didn't print like crazy when I bent down, I'd carry one everywhere. I carried a Officer/Defender sized 1911 for awhile, but I still got some printing in some clothes.

To stick with the 45acp round and have a gun that can disappear with any clothes in any weather, I went with the XDS. If I lived someplace where heavy clothes or a coat was a year round thing, it would be a 1911 for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 18:13   #20
AngelDeville
NoHablaMexican

I traded the first pistol I bought (webley MKIV) for a 1911 and I never looked back, I do love me a nice gen3 G26 though.

I know a 1911 inside and out, and it just feels right.
AngelDeville is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1911, concealed carry, thread title effect