GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 12:29   #1
hongster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 147
Summer carry

I EDC a G19 but with summer right around the corner I would like something smaller when wearing lighter clothing.
I used to carry a LCP in a belly band but I want something in 9mm. I'm was thinking about some of the pocket pistols like the Kahr CM9, Sig P290 or the Beretta Nano. But those short grips makes it a little difficult to shoot with speed and accuracy. The single stack subcompacts like the Kahr CW9 and S&W Shield came into my mind. I could still use the belly band with them. But then the Glock G26 comes to mind. The only problem I have with the G26 is that short stubby grip and the width. Need some serious advice.
__________________
"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol." Tommy Lee Jones
hongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 13:41   #2
dwm2112
Senior Member
 
dwm2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 144
I just added a G27 which has the same short grip and have no problems managing it so I would the the G26 would be a good option for you.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
dwm2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 13:57   #3
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,578
Blog Entries: 1
G26 with GAP floorplate in an MTAC conceals easily under a t-shirt.

PM9 in a CTAC really conceals well under just a t-shirt.

PM9 also pocket carries nicely in an Aholster.

I don't have experience with a belly band.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 14:44   #4
barth
six barrels
 
barth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Free Zone
Posts: 4,921
Walther PPS

When a Glock guy wants a slim single stack 9mm?
Walther PPS is usually in that conversation.
Kahr's CM9 has been getting great reviews too.
Carry Issues

Last edited by barth; 05-11-2013 at 14:51..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 14:46   #5
Jeffrey Lebowski
Not a golfer
 
Jeffrey Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 392
Different holster rather than different weapon?
Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 14:51   #6
Audiman77
Senior Member
 
Audiman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 189
I carry a 27 and sometimes a xds when's it's warm. 23 is what I usually carry tho
Audiman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 16:02   #7
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 20,122
More than a few here have reported shooting the G26 better than the bigger 9mm Glocks. Some have reported seeing this at various competitions and events.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 16:07   #8
Audiman77
Senior Member
 
Audiman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
More than a few here have reported shooting the G26 better than the bigger 9mm Glocks. Some have reported seeing this at various competitions and events.
This. I shoot my 27 as well as my duty 22 and my 23. The pinky thing isn't a big deal w practice so the 26 is a great idea. My 27 has been my duty gun for plain clothes work for a long time now
Audiman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 19:02   #9
Glockgeezer
Senior Member
 
Glockgeezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 245
My G-26 is the best shooting 9mm I've ever shot. If this wasn't a fact, why would I keep buying other brands trying to find something better?
Glockgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 19:12   #10
uc1twinbee
Senior Member
 
uc1twinbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 322
I have a G-26 and G-27, both are a pleasure to shoot. There is a slight difference in weight because 40 ammo weighs more than the 9 mm ammo.

I use the same holster for both.
__________________
GSSF Lifetime Member/NRA Member/NRA Instructor/NRA RSO/CFRPC Member/Retired ATP Pilot/Flight Instructor/A&P Mechanic/Gen3 & Gen4 G19/Gen3 & Gen4 G23/Gen4 G26/Gen4 G27/Gen3 G36
uc1twinbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 22:59   #11
Inebriated
Senior Member
 
Inebriated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,720
I carry a G19 a lot, but when I want comfort or maximum concealment, I carry my 26. Not a big difference in the size of the guns, but they are like night and day, for me.

I carry my 26 in a N82 Pro holster. VERY comfortable in the summer (more comfy than leather or kydex/plastic, imo), and just absolutely disappears with the 26.

Of course, you could get thinner holsters, and get better concealment, but for me, the thicker N82 works just fine, since I'm not having to work to hide the grip.
__________________
التكبر يقللل قيمة الحكمة
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18   #12
EAJuggalo
Senior Member
 
EAJuggalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 1,984
Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo


What is the problem with the 19? usually when people start looking at smaller guns for summer it's the thickness that is the issue, not the length of barrel or grip. The thickness would be the same both of the grip and the slide on the 26 compared to a 19 so I don't think you'd get what you wanted to out of switching.

If you really want to go smaller I'd go with either the Nano or Shield sitting in a good two attachment point holster, something like an MTAC, Supertuck or VMII.
__________________
People killed by:
MN permit holders 3
MPLS Light Rail 9
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:24   #13
Audiman77
Senior Member
 
Audiman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post
What is the problem with the 19? usually when people start looking at smaller guns for summer it's the thickness that is the issue, not the length of barrel or grip. The thickness would be the same both of the grip and the slide on the 26 compared to a 19 so I don't think you'd get what you wanted to out of switching.

If you really want to go smaller I'd go with either the Nano or Shield sitting in a good two attachment point holster, something like an MTAC, Supertuck or VMII.
Length of grip and width are the too main issues. Length of the slide usually isn't an issue. Some ppl have an issue concealing grip length. I'm 5'7 190 muscular and have issues concealing a 23 sometimes.
Audiman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:40   #14
Simpleman71
Senior Member
 
Simpleman71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 461
I think the smith and wesson shield in 9mm is the best for summer carry. Not to small like an lcp and not thick and chunky like a g26. I carry an lcp when i run but would rather have atleast a 9mm for edc. Only problem is finding one. They are hard to get ahold of.
Simpleman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:43   #15
Audiman77
Senior Member
 
Audiman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleman71 View Post
I think the smith and wesson shield in 9mm is the best for summer carry. Not to small like an lcp and not thick and chunky like a g26. I carry an lcp when i run but would rather have atleast a 9mm for edc. Only problem is finding one. They are hard to get ahold of.
The shield is sweet. I've been carrying my Springfield xds a lot off duty lately. That things bad arse!
Audiman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:21   #16
oldsoldier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MO
Posts: 1,225
Probably not what you're looking for but I carry a XD-S summer and winter. The pistol is easy to hide in a good IWB holster.
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:23   #17
Audiman77
Senior Member
 
Audiman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
Probably not what you're looking for but I carry a XD-S summer and winter. The pistol is easy to hide in a good IWB holster.
Love mine. Had it nickel boron'ed through fail zero.
Audiman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 17:27   #18
hongster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 147
I think I'm leaning towards the Shield. I use to carry a M&P9C so I'm familiar with the platform. Gonna go to the LGS this week.
__________________
"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol." Tommy Lee Jones
hongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 19:23   #19
shockglock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mid MO
Posts: 263
After I got my CCW I was very paranoid about printing with my g26. I bought and sold several guns until I ended up with a g26 and CM9 for my carry rotation. The CM9 was for summer and the 26 for winter. I have come to realize that the 26 can be carried most of the time, even with just a t-shirt as a cover. I saw alot of people post that they could carry a 26 with just a t-shirt, but I didn't believe them. Now my CM9 is just for deep concealment. I carry my 26 about 90% of the time now. I carry IWB using a Galco KingTuk.
shockglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 19:27   #20
Audiman77
Senior Member
 
Audiman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockglock View Post
After I got my CCW I was very paranoid about printing with my g26. I bought and sold several guns until I ended up with a g26 and CM9 for my carry rotation. The CM9 was for summer and the 26 for winter. I have come to realize that the 26 can be carried most of the time, even with just a t-shirt as a cover. I saw alot of people post that they could carry a 26 with just a t-shirt, but I didn't believe them. Now my CM9 is just for deep concealment. I carry my 26 about 90% of the time now. I carry IWB using a Galco KingTuk.
People aren't usually staring at others wait bands so printing w a 26 shouldn't be an issue. I've done undercover work in Baltimore carrying my 27 iwb in a silent thunder and no ones ever seen it.
Audiman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 19:53   #21
Patchman
Florist
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Flora, Fauna & Merriweather
Posts: 11,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongster View Post
The only problem I have with the G26 is that short stubby grip and the width.
That's the whole problem with the G26! The stubby grip, when I do a presentation from concealment with the G26 like I needed it 1.3 seconds ago, half the time I think the gun is going to fly loose out of my hands!

When I'm at the range and have all the time in the world to adjust my grip, it's a great shooting gun.
__________________
Sounds like he has nothing left but be a monkey's uncle. It's not like he's got a monkey's manhood left.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:10   #22
hongster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
That's the whole problem with the G26! The stubby grip, when I do a presentation from concealment with the G26 like I needed it 1.3 seconds ago, half the time I think the gun is going to fly loose out of my hands!

When I'm at the range and have all the time in the world to adjust my grip, it's a great shooting gun.
I know exactly where your coming from. That's why I opted for the G19. I like a full grip on my handguns.
__________________
"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol." Tommy Lee Jones
hongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:34   #23
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,848
Summer's coming here in VT, and I'll OC my G17, with a CCW option.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 13:30   #24
Lord
Senior Member
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongster View Post
I EDC a G19 but with summer right around the corner I would like something smaller when wearing lighter clothing.
I used to carry a LCP in a belly band but I want something in 9mm. I'm was thinking about some of the pocket pistols like the Kahr CM9, Sig P290 or the Beretta Nano. But those short grips makes it a little difficult to shoot with speed and accuracy. The single stack subcompacts like the Kahr CW9 and S&W Shield came into my mind. I could still use the belly band with them. But then the Glock G26 comes to mind. The only problem I have with the G26 is that short stubby grip and the width. Need some serious advice.
I live in TX and carried my g19 in a kydex holster with pancake wings all the time with a tshirt on. No big deal. I even carried it in a Galco jackass rig under a tshirt. Later, I started carrying a Taurus Millennium PT-140 Pro. Slightly smaller, and fits my galco, and got a kydex for it too.
__________________
Lord
G-19, PT-140 Pro, PT-111 Pro, Core-15
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 20:37   #25
shockglock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mid MO
Posts: 263
My first Glock was a gen3 19 then I reluctantly bought a gen3 26 and absolutely love the 26. It took me no time at all to realize I could shoot the 26 as good as the 19. I have since sold my gen 3's and have a 17, 19, and 26 in gen4. My gen4 26 will be with me until I can't shoot anymore. The 17 and 19 will eventually be given to my boys, but they will never get my 26.
shockglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 944
278 Members
666 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42