Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:38   #1
vyper005

Do you guys use a light on your Glocks ??

If so, what brand ?? any problems/complaints etc ?? I recently ordered an Insight M3X Led for my 21SF. I think it said it puts out around 150 lumens....
vyper005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:55   #2
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

TLR-2s.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:13   #3
SouthernBoyVA

No. A light can give away your location and I don't want any metal projectiles traveling at a high rate of speed, aimed at my gun light.

Anyway, it's a totally personal choice to make.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:56   #4
G19ftw

M3X is a good light, you will like it.
G19ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59   #5
cmr287

I use a Insight Technology Light with my 19 or 22.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Sights, Optics and Lasers - Click for larger version  
Military armors course-1996,Battalion master trainer CQB/ CQC 2nd BDE 10 MTN DIV (LI). Small Arms marksmanship Instructor, 2006-2007,Colt Armorer's Course, 2010, Army Marksmanship Units CQM course/ SDM course-2012, Glock Armorer's Course 2013

Last edited by cmr287; 05-12-2013 at 16:36..
cmr287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:05   #6
Rev.357

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
No. A light can give away your location and I don't want any metal projectiles traveling at a high rate of speed, aimed at my gun light.

100% correct Bro!!
NRA Pistol Instructor
SC CWP Instructor
Rev.357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:12   #7
ChicagoZman

Personal choice. I do use a light (surefire), just not on my gun as I don't want to be pointing my gun at anything until I know it is a threat.
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:20   #8
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:

I respect your opinion and I hear this line of thinking a lot, but I disagree. Ideally your light should not be "always on" (quick bursts to help you find your way while moving) unless you are on target. At which point the disorienting and blinding nature of quality WMLs shined at someone's face will give you enough of an advantage to stop your threat before they can take action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:22   #9
FiremanMike
Way too busy

It should be noted that when I say "quick bursts" I mean with the weapon pointed at an angle down and at hard ready. And by quick I mean under a second, enough to give me a mental image of the next several feet I'll be covering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:26   #10
Arnold Kuhl

Lose the Light

I am of the school of thought that a light on my weapon is bad for at least two reasons: 1. It could very well give away my location to the bad guy; 2. It adds unwanted bulk and weight to the firearm. It also incurs (to me) an extra expense, which funds could be applied more judiciously towards other defensive means (e.g., a case of ammo, a tomahawk, baseball bat, foghorn, grizzly bear pepper spray, etc.).

Just my opinion.

AK
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:37   #11
Infidel4life11

Yes, streamlight TLR-1, Surefire x200, insight. In that order IMO. The TLR locking system is the best if you are carrying in a kydex type holster. I've had the other come off my Glock when drawing out of certain kydex (custom made) holsters. However if I am using one of the other two I have holter specifically for that light combo. My Surefire has been on one of my many guns (multiple ARs, Glocks, Sigs, 1911s, shotgun) everyday for the last 4years and I've never changed the battery. All are amazing

Sights, Optics and Lasers

Sights, Optics and Lasers
Old 05-11-2013, 07:55   #12
Infidel4life11

Gents, I'm not trying to argue tactics here, there is a down side to everything. But the "the light will give away my position" statement makes no sense. Unless you are in a pitch black setting wearing NVGs and the bad guy isn't in which case you wouldn't need the light or you don't use at that time.

I don't know of any ninjas running around on GT that have to shoot a bad guy that can't see the ninja in first place. I don't know if you've ever trained to shoot a threat with 150lumens shining at you but its pretty freaking hard.

Last every military, LEO entering an objective with little or no light present has a weapon light attached or a hand held ready to go and they aren't all dead. When was the last time you heard a navy seal dying in a late night raid because he used his weapon light?

Just IMO, thank you for sharing yours. I'll stop now
Old 05-11-2013, 08:07   #13
yubakram

My line of thought on weapon attached lights:

1. Quickly identify friend or foe if in a position where either is not identified.... Oops doesn't work once the trigger is pulled.

2. Target and location acquisition... in complete or near darkness tripping over a toy, flower pot, stump, etc.. would still expose location and you would have a severe disadvantage.

3. Allows weak hand access to other devices... grabbing or holding cell phone, door knobs...etc..

4. Just because its there doesn't mean you have to use it.... but I would hate to be in a position where I am wishing I had a flashlight with gun drawn.... I want all the advantage if it comes down to a dark engagement.

5. Makes me buy more stuff!!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:29   #14
1canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel4life11 View Post
Gents, I'm not trying to argue tactics here, there is a down side to everything. But the "the light will give away my position" statement makes no sense. Unless you are in a pitch black setting wearing NVGs and the bad guy isn't in which case you wouldn't need the light or you don't use at that time.

I don't know of any ninjas running around on GT that have to shoot a bad guy that can't see the ninja in first place. I don't know if you've ever trained to shoot a threat with 150lumens shining at you but its pretty freaking hard.

Last every military, LEO entering an objective with little or no light present has a weapon light attached or a hand held ready to go and they aren't all dead. When was the last time you heard a navy seal dying in a late night raid because he used his weapon light?

I agree with all of your points.
its mighty hard to look into the beam of a bright tac light without being blinded, it even hurts.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:34   #15
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel4life11 View Post

Old 05-11-2013, 08:53   #16
up1911fan

My bedside gun is a G19 with an X300. Theres a G2X sitting next to it.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:06   #17
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

To add to what Infidel4life11 stated, here's some of my $0.02.

I agree 100% with everything he stated, and I will just add my perspective now that I am older and have a family. I have (2) kids in the house (and one on the way), my girls are 5 and 20 months. The 5 year old is always getting up in the middle of the night because she had a bad dream, heard a noise that scared her etc. My 20 month old, she doesn't climb out of bed because we raised the rails on the crib, lol, but soon she will be in a regular bed and doing as her big sister I am sure. My point is, there are people in my house, (big and little) that get thirsty in the middle of the night, get scared, whatever, but they're up and moving. The BIGGEST factor for me to have a light is to NOT shoot a loved one, not TO shoot a bad guy. The target needs to be identified, period, whether good or bad. And in MY house the chances of something moving around in the dark being "friendly" are much greater than it being the other way around. I have spoken with LE from various parts of the country and almost all of them have stories about someone's Dad shooting one of their kids who had snuck out and come back home, or a loved one snooping around downstairs, etc.

While many of us might have pre conceived notions of what really happens with a light in the dark, getting training doing a night shoot, especially in a shoot house really opens your eyes to things.

To demonstrate a point the other day at the shop to a customer (he just bought an X-300 Ultra, when he was clicking his light on in the shop which was well lit, the owner came up beside him un noticed and blocked the light with his hand, which momentarily blinded the customer. And this was in a well lit area. There are many scenarios that could take place, and people can theorize about whatever they want, there is no substitute for training (experience).

"For Me" I first want to make sure what I might think is a bad guy, is not my wife or one of my kids.

YMMV

FM
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:33   #18
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
No. A light can give away your location and I don't want any metal projectiles traveling at a high rate of speed, aimed at my gun light. Anyway, it's a totally personal choice to make.
I like the way you think!

My personal opinion is that attached tac lights are both useful and entirely acceptable to use IF you are part of a multi-member team; or if you have someone else, there, to immediately back your movements up (like a sniper on the periphery). Otherwise if you don't catch the bad guy(s) in the beam on your first flash then he/they are going to know exactly where you are, and in which direction your pistol is pointing!

(Ouch!)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:47   #19
jokon
Cold Infidel

Armed bad guys aren't constricted by laws or policy and will generally shoot at a target whether it's identified to them or not. Good guys must id a potential threat before they can shoot or decide not to. Proper training shows with WML, good guys can id threats and make proper lawful decisions before bad guys can "shoot the light". Remember training isn't you going to the range a popping some paper targets and calling it a day.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 05-11-2013, 09:57   #20
fifthward
Drifter

Simple

A weapon mounted light is a flashlight, conveniently located on your weapon....

Just to state the obvious.

I see it in a more simple fashion. It's there to use, if you need light. Whether it's a WML or a hand held flashlight - it's turned on when needed, and turned off when needed. Either one will disclose your location.

I'd rather go with the one that frees my other hand up.

And...no...the weapon doesn't have to be pointed at someone, to determine threat.