Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:57   #1
powderhead

Magpul slings?

Is anyone using the Magpul MS2 or MS3 sling? I see the the MS2 is now selling for about half price of the MS3, so I was wondering if the MS3 is really worth the extra money?
powderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:28   #2
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

I have no experience with the MS3, but if it's anything like the MS2, I'd probably stay away.

The MS2 is too thin. The material seems to fray easily. The attachment mechanism is questionable, at best. Using it as a 2-point sling, it is too short (for me, and I'm not a big guy). Mine sits in a bin with my holsters that also suck.

I'll stick to my VCAS slings. They may be more expensive, but I haven't found a better sling.
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 13:24   #3
WoodenPlank
Who?

I used an MS2 for quite a while, and ended up going back to a VTAC padded 2-point. The material didn't have much padding, so it wasn't comfortable for extended use without something under it, like a heavy LBV or body armor. The adjustment was easy to do one-handed, though, and I actually liked the attachment point for the single-point. It can be released even under load, so if your rifle gets snagged up on something, you can still release the latch without problem.

No experience with the MS3, but it's supposed to be an improvement. I would stick to a quality 2-point, though, like VCAS (Vickers Tactical), or VTAC (Viking Tactics).
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 17:09   #4
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

length difference with both ends adjusted full out.

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by mvician; 01-10-2012 at 12:05..
mvician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 17:31   #5
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

I have a MS2 sling. I went back to Vtac padded slings on all my firearms.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 17:47   #6
Steve in PA

I ran the MS2 for a little on my AR, but also went to a Vickers 2-point. I didn't hate the MS2, but I ran it as a 2-point sling. I did like the ability to quickly go to a 1-point sling. I changed out the original claw-type front attachment on the MS2 to a HK-style J hook.

When I switched out the MS2 for the Vickers, I put the MS2 on my AK.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 20:33   #7
Clint-M

I've had an MS3 for almost two weeks now and it is a huge improvement over the MS2 for me. I sold my MS2 after a couple of range visits because it was already starting to fray and I was not happy with the thin, slick straps.

FYI, I only use a sling on my lighter rifles and never for more than a few hours so I never found the need for a padded sling.

CM
Clint-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 20:58   #8
Suburban

The MS3 is a little wider than the MS2, and has two identical latches. The latches are easy and quick to attach or undo, much faster than an HK hook or MASH hook.

I guess it remains to be seen whether they'll hold up though, and I still think they're too expensive.

The 2-point slings are quick to throw on, which is Why I have a VTAC 2-point on my go-to carbine. They are often more comfortable too. They do need to be adjusted for shoulder transitions though, which takes time, and time may be critical. You may also end up with lots of dangling webbing, which could probably be bad

I guess if there was really ONE great sling that worked best for everyone, everyone would have one, and there wouldn't be like 200 competing designs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- My Website - Glock stuff, black rifles, 1911 build, gun and gear reviews, news, etc.
Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 21:39   #9
powderhead

Thanks for the many replies. Earlier today I picked up the phone and called AIM to order a Magpul. I'm glad now that they were closed. I think I may try a VTAC instead.
powderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 22:23   #10
samuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
They do need to be adjusted for shoulder transitions though, which takes time, and time may be critical. You may also end up with lots of dangling webbing, which could probably be bad.

You should try a Vickers sling if you haven't.

The first sling I used was a VTAC, the first sling I bought was a VCAS, like it much better.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:15   #11
ezterra

I've been running the MS2 for about a year, and I like it. I have the same complaints about the webbing being soft, frays easily, and not wide enough, but it hasn't come apart. I wanted a sling that could use as a single point or 2 point, and I chose the MS2.

A couple of weeks ago I got the MS3. It is definitely an improvement over the MS2. The webbing is wider, which makes it a little more comfortable. It doesn't seem like it'll fray as easily, and the hardware is much less likely to accidentally disengage. So far, I like it. I'll be taking it with me on an upcoming deployment. I guess time will tell on its durability.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:02   #12
kylet

i like my MS2... but i havent ever tried anything different...

This one works fine and i probably wont get another until it craps out... or if i find a really good deal on a different one
kylet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:21   #13
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
I love my MS2 and will be trying the MS3.
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:56   #14
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I ran a VCAS/Victory in armor for a while and it worked well, though i didn't find it as adjustable as a VTAC.

I currently use a VTAC. I like the idea behind the MS3, but since i'm not big on shoulder switching the VTAC does fine for me. If i need to with a VTAC, i can, it just takes a second longer.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:49   #15
boomhower

Almost every single person I have seen that bought an MS2 gave up on it due to it's to thin, they just are made for use as a sling, more so as a retention device.

I am overly happy with my blue force sling, I just regret no getting a padded one.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 19:57   #16
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i like my ms2 but i just got it a couple weeks ago and have only ever used cheap crappy military issue slings in the past. i like the ability to go from 1 to 2 point but i will admit that the slickness of the material is a little concerning already. we shall see.
Old 01-04-2012, 23:50   #17
surf

I am glad to see that Magpul fixed a couple of things on the MS3 but I still think they should have gone with an under sling attachment when going to single point. Instead they kept the inline connection which is a similar drawback to the MS2 with the sling wanting to twist when transitioning to the support side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:09   #18
DieselNut

Send a message via AIM to DieselNut
I'm gonna sell me MS2. I've had it for a while and just put it on my yesterday. I hate it. The attachment points suck!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:31   #19
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Guys,

Is using one's sling as an aid in marksmanship a thing of the past?

http://www.turnersling.com/faq_how_use.html

While I admit the new designs offer ways to carry one's rifle more safely and comfortably, as well as get it into action quickly, I cannot figure out how to loop up with them. Suggestions?

Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:27   #20
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
Guys,

Is using one's sling as an aid in marksmanship a thing of the past?

http://www.turnersling.com/faq_how_use.html

While I admit the new designs offer ways to carry one's rifle more safely and comfortably, as well as get it into action quickly, I cannot figure out how to loop up with them. Suggestions?
It can still be done with a 2-point sling, even padded ones like the VTAC.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote