SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:53   #41
Aragorn77

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
I have learned that PEOPLE see differently!

What to one person is right on will be off for another.
That's my take. My sights are pushed right. I've just always figured it was some part of my cross dominant issues. (right hand/left eye) The bullet impacts were I aim the gun. Works for me, but now I do want to have someone else shoot my Glocks. Gen4 G27 & G22 if it matters.
Aragorn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:06   #42
JBP55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn77 View Post
That's my take. My sights are pushed right. I've just always figured it was some part of my cross dominant issues. (right hand/left eye) The bullet impacts were I aim the gun. Works for me, but now I do want to have someone else shoot my Glocks. Gen4 G27 & G22 if it matters.

If you are cross dominant and you are unable to use the proper technique for this you will have to adjust your sights accordingly.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:13   #43
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
If you are cross dominant and you are unable to use the proper technique for this you will have to adjust your sights accordingly.
Exactly, and the proper technique is not difficult at all. You just slightly turn your head to allow the dominant eye to take over the sight picture. The rest of the fundamentals of shooting are the same.
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25   #44
Aragorn77

Maybe you missed what I was trying to say. Both my Gen4 guns end up with the sights pushed right. I shoot them fine. I had always figured the "shooting left" was me, so I pushed the sights right. No problems, except now I'm curious if it is me.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:29   #45
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Quote:
Maybe you missed what I was trying to say. Both my Gen4 guns end up with the sights pushed right. I shoot them fine. I had always figured the "shooting left" was me, so I pushed the sights right. No problems, except now I'm curious if it is me.
Not to argue, but I think you're missing the exact point we are trying to bring to your attention. It is you because to compensate for shooting left you moved the sight to the right. If you center your sights again you will be shooting left. What you did is a band aid for your problem. The solution os to learn how to shoot with your cross dominant situation, and it's not difficult at all. Both methods will give you the end result "you"want, but if you're ever not shooting one of your guns again guess what, you will be shooting left.

We are trying to help, not be argumentative. There's a very easy "fix" for your situation, which is more common that you think. Just turn your head slightly to allow the dominant eye to take over the sight picture, very easy to do.
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44   #46
Aragorn77

You're not arguing and I may just be being dense. In fact I am trying to learn here. I do turn my head slightly and I do shoot with my dominant eye and both eyes open.

I am relatively new to the idea of honing my shooting skills. I actually am feeling fairly good about the eye thing. I would be more concerned with it being some other "technical" error. I try to shoot with the pad of my finger. I don't have a flinch.

I do know that yesterday, when I picked up my baby Glock, my first shot was low and left. I could feel that I did it when I shot. When I relaxed and got a new sight picture with both eyes open, my next shot was right were I was aiming.

It is entirely possible I am compensating for something by pushing my sights right. I'm all for correcting it too. I was just curious after reading this thread, if it wasn't me at all.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50   #47
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Quote:
You're not arguing and I may just be being dense. In fact I am trying to learn here. I do turn my head slightly and I do shoot with my dominant eye and both eyes open.

I am relatively new to the idea of honing my shooting skills. I actually am feeling fairly good about the eye thing. I would be more concerned with it being some other "technical" error. I try to shoot with the pad of my finger. I don't have a flinch.

I do know that yesterday, when I picked up my baby Glock, my first shot was low and left. I could feel that I did it when I shot. When I relaxed and got a new sight picture with both eyes open, my next shot was right were I was aiming.

It is entirely possible I am compensating for something by pushing my sights right. I'm all for correcting it too. I was just curious after reading this thread, if it wasn't me at all.
It is very hard to diagnose shooter error without being there with the shooter.

However, "typically, shooting low is a flinch anticipating recoil, and shooting left (if you're right handed) is too much finger on the trigger. When you put both together you get the common low and left.

My point was simply that pushing sights to compensate does not fix your problem, it just masks it up.

Getting rid of the flinch and the right amount of finger on the trigger takes patience and practice but can be done.

But as I said it's very difficult to help someone 100% without being present and seeing what they are doing when they shoot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:52   #48
gpo1956

Did I mess something here? I'm understanding that after market sights were installed by a dealer. Correct? They look centered? Looks have nothing to do with it. I'm not seeing where anyone has actually sighted the gun in after installing the sights. You don't just "center" the sights on the slide and expect to go. As someone else stated, you're shooting left so you MUST move the rear sight to the right. Noone can tell you how much, its all trial and error. Continue until you are on windage wise.
gpo1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:20   #49
lethal tupperwa

why not just hold your head straight and move the sights in front of the dominate eye?

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53   #50
ES13Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampShadeActual View Post
OMG. Rampant cluelessness. At this level of firearm ignorance, I am ready to puke. Some where, some body, some time, should have mentioned the idea of "sighting in" a firearm BEFORE they allowed you to have loaded cartridges.

The rear sight moves left and right in a dovetail. For such fantastic shots as those who can make their holes touch, move the sight to the right a little and get on with life. It isn't a gun or a generation or a model, its the location of the rear sight.

If you had a gun with windage adjustable sights, would you refuse to move the blade whining about this generation of 1911 shoots left?

Glock shooters with any sort of clue have their own Glock sight pusher to make this easy and repeatable. Spend $100 and learn something.

If you feel the heat, its the best flame I can manage using nice words.

I'm actually an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor. Absolute proof that a NRA certificate means absolutely nothing anymore.
Don't feed the troll.
ES13Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:39   #51
JBP55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
why not just hold your head straight and move the sights in front of the dominate eye?
Some do a combination of both moving the head slightly in one direction and moving the pistol slightly in the other direction.

Right hand dominate and left eye dominate would move the pistol slightly left and the head slightly right.

Left hand dominate and right eye dominate would move the pistol slightly right and the head slightly left.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:01   #52
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpo1956 View Post
Did I mess something here? I'm understanding that after market sights were installed by a dealer. Correct? They look centered? Looks have nothing to do with it. I'm not seeing where anyone has actually sighted the gun in after installing the sights. You don't just "center" the sights on the slide and expect to go. As someone else stated, you're shooting left so you MUST move the rear sight to the right. Noone can tell you how much, its all trial and error. Continue until you are on windage wise.
48 posts until we get a relevant answer...

This is one area where a laser bore sight is beneficial. Adjust the sights with the laser, then shoot it. Small variations of an inch or so at 25 yards is certainly within the margin of error. OTOH, with the laser installed, dry-fire a few times and SEE for yourself if the dot moves off target due to your technique. If it does, and it matters to you, then work on your technique.

8 striker fired pistols out of 10 I take to the range are within a few inches of being sighted in. 8 out of 10 novice right handed shooters tell me their gun shoots left. I have even had a few argue that I was just seeing the error on the target, correcting and adjusting just to make them look bad. So sure, it can be technique, but it can also be the gun was not sighted in, which it looks like it was not in this case.

There is also the real possibility that the left handed shooter at the Glock factory sighted in your Glock.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02   #53
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
There is also the real possibility that the left handed shooter at the Glock factory sighted in your Glock.
Now that's funny

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:14   #54
Shinytop

I must be wrong since nobody else has pointed out that the op bought a gun, changed the sights, shot left and asked if gen4's shoot left. Key point, he changed the sights or had them changed. Why would someone question all gen4's after changing the sights? Like I said, I may have missed something.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:40   #55
lethal tupperwa

you did not miss anything

you are right on

congratulations

but this is the internet.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 14:18   #56
ES13Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpo1956 View Post
Its reasonable to say that if fixed sights are professionally installed, and they look very centered that the Glock should shoot pretty straight for most shooters. My G19 has factory sights and shoots straight, and my G26 has aftermarket sights and shoots straight. Both look to be very centered on the slide.

Of course adjusting the sights is the easy answer, but I created this topic to find out if it might be something else - like the Slide Lock not lining up the barrel correctly.

Last edited by ES13Raven; 05-11-2013 at 14:33..
ES13Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 18:12   #57
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES13Raven View Post
I read another post where someone was having the same issue and sent the gun into Glock. He said they replaced the slide lock - could that cause this issue?
No No No
Old 05-11-2013, 19:00   #58
Roger G23
Glock Guy

All my guns shoot left until I stopped wrapping my damn finger around the trigger and started using just the pad of my finger.
Old 05-11-2013, 20:09   #59
Impact10

I have a theory! I'm no novice. I've shot 3-gun, IDPA and IPSC for the past decades. I'm also a firearms instructor for my department. I shoot all my pistols spot on except ALL my Glocks. All other guns have flat trigger faces. One knows exactly where there finger lies on the trigger and if they are pulling it straight back. The Glock has a curved trigger face which may not be pressed perfectly to the rear. The finger could wander a little off one of the sides. I happened upon this theory when shooting my PPQ and notice it was hitting perfectly at 50 yrds. My finger on that wide flat faced trigger felt better than the curved Glock trigger face. I will try my theory when I have the funds to purchase the Glockworx aluminum trigger which is flat.
Impact10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 20:17   #60
JBP55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact10 View Post
I have a theory! I'm no novice. I've shot 3-gun, IDPA and IPSC for the past decades. I'm also a firearms instructor for my department. I shoot all my pistols spot on except ALL my Glocks. All other guns have flat trigger faces. One knows exactly where there finger lies on the trigger and if they are pulling it straight back. The Glock has a curved trigger face which may not be pressed perfectly to the rear. The finger could wander a little off one of the sides. I happened upon this theory when shooting my PPQ and notice it was hitting perfectly at 50 yrds. My finger on that wide flat faced trigger felt better than the curved Glock trigger face. I will try my theory when I have the funds to purchase the Glockworx aluminum trigger which is flat.

There are shooters like you on other gun forums that have some Glocks that shoot left. Not all of their Glocks but a few and these are well qualified shooters. I posted some of their quotes in this thread.

Tags
gen4, left, shooting