GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:57   #1
jthrelf

Silly Things to Do or Not Do While Carrying...

Not what you make think - nothing to directly relate to the practice of carrying.

I was going on a bike ride (bicycle) and had my LCR, speed strip, and EDC knife. I was all ready to go. I stopped to think for a second that I should wear my helmet. I realized it was pretty stupid to be carrying a gun, and not wearing a helmet. There was a much greater chance I'd need my helmet versus the chance of needing my gun. I'll always wear it now.

Another silly thing I thought of is someone who carries 3-4 times per week into McDonalds for lunch.

Of course I'm still advocating carrying every chance you get, but while also making smart decisions that will more likely have an impact on your well-being.

What things can you guys think of?
jthrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:20   #2
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

I can think that I really don't give a damn about others' lifestyle decisions and would much prefer them be able to make such choices without a bunch of people they don't know creating a hostile environment for them to make such decisions.

But that's just me.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:21   #3
FourthPointOfContact

Well, that was just silly, ya nut.
Everyone knows 'helmets save lives' even on bikes. When I carried openly in Aridzona on my MTB I usually had a G17 on my left hip. I never met so many courteous drivers, they'd go quite wide into the opposing lane in order to give me adequate space.

Wish ya hadn't mentioned MickyDee's... I had a single hamburger there this morning after my walk at the park. ... but i Did have a diet coke.
FourthPointOfContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 16:54   #4
Bruce M

Carrying to the convenience store in the rough neighborhood at 2 am because they always get robbed.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 20:17   #5
Jim S.

What does having a poor diet have to do with protecting yourself?
I eat junk food so why bother protecting myself from harm because I'm going to die from heart disease anyway?
What the heck is wrong with you?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:53   #6
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
Not what you make think - nothing to directly relate to the practice of carrying.

I was going on a bike ride (bicycle) and had my LCR, speed strip, and EDC knife. I was all ready to go. I stopped to think for a second that I should wear my helmet. I realized it was pretty stupid to be carrying a gun, and not wearing a helmet. There was a much greater chance I'd need my helmet versus the chance of needing my gun. I'll always wear it now.

Another silly thing I thought of is someone who carries 3-4 times per week into McDonalds for lunch.

Of course I'm still advocating carrying every chance you get, but while also making smart decisions that will more likely have an impact on your well-being.

I'm not sure I understand your point with this. I carry into McDonald's virtually every time I am in there and openly to boot. The one I go to most of the time is right off of a major interstate and does a HUGE amount of business, a lot of which are folks from other states. It's good to be in Virginia.

As for silly things to do or not do when carrying, there are a boatload of them, I'm sure. I once went out to do some errands, hit a number of businesses, and when I got back home and removed my gen3 G23 from my holster, I noticed that the magazine was not seated completely. I had installed an extended magazine catch on that pistol and even thought I filed it down some to smooth it and keep it from being too extended, the leather holster managed to contact it and release the magazine.

For those who carry and are new to this, once of the things they seem to do most often is to fiddle with their sidearm. Shift it, press it close to their body with a forearm, tilt it, etc. Just find the proper setting for it and leave it alone.

If concealed carry is your choice, always be cognizant of your clothing. And consider holsters that do not allow the gun's muzzle to extend beyond the bottom of the holster.

I'm sure that I could come up with more, but I have to go somewhere this morning. First up is a McDonald's for a simple breakfast and yes, my sidearm will be with me and visible.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 05-18-2013 at 06:02..
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:57   #7
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

The average permit holder is faaaar more likely to need a cellphone (or bike helmet) than a firearm for protection. Permit holders should view their forearm as a small part of an overall risk management strategy.
Quote:

I was going on a bike ride (bicycle) and had my LCR, speed strip, and EDC knife. I was all ready to go. I stopped to think for a second that the I should wear my helmet. I realized it was pretty stupid to be carrying a gun, and not wearing a helmet. There was a much greater chance I'd need my helmet versus the chance of needing my gun. I'll always wear it now.

Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:24   #8
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point with this. I carry into McDonald's virtually every time I am in there and openly to boot. The one I go to most of the time is right off of a major interstate and does a HUGE amount of business, a lot of which are folks from other states. It's good to be in Virginia.

As for silly things to do or not do when carrying, there are a boatload of them, I'm sure. I once went out to do some errands, hit a number of businesses, and when I got back home and removed my gen3 G23 from my holster, I noticed that the magazine was not seated completely. I had installed an extended magazine catch on that pistol and even thought I filed it down some to smooth it and keep it from being too extended, the leather holster managed to contact it and release the magazine.

For those who carry and are new to this, once of the things they seem to do most often is to fiddle with their sidearm. Shift it, press it close to their body with a forearm, tilt it, etc. Just find the proper setting for it and leave it alone.

If concealed carry is your choice, always be cognizant of your clothing. And consider holsters that do not allow the gun's muzzle to extend beyond the bottom of the holster.

I'm sure that I could come up with more, but I have to go somewhere this morning. First up is a McDonald's for a simple breakfast and yes, my sidearm will be with me and visible.
I'm pretty sure his point was the irony of carrying a firearm to save your life while eating food that might someday kill you.

Not that I don't do the same thing....

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27   #9
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
What does having a poor diet have to do with protecting yourself?
I eat junk food so why bother protecting myself from harm because I'm going to die from heart disease anyway?
What the heck is wrong with you?
A poor diet has a lot to do with protecting yourself. Good physical condition is a force-multiplier and always has been. I do get a kick out of guys at the range that act like some sort of Billy Badass with a gun but weigh every bit of 350 pounds.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm no saint in this regard and am a little overweight myself. I can still see where he's coming from.

-Edward Conlon

Last edited by rockapede; 05-18-2013 at 07:28..
Old 05-18-2013, 08:59   #10
jthrelf

I think most of you missed the point.

This wasn't intended to be a very serious topic or bash people's health/lifestyle decisions. The McDonald's thing was an example. In fact, I consider the $1 McDouble to be the best value of any purchase you can make

It was supposed to be like recognizing that its a silly thing to not wear your seatbelt because your holster is in the way. I'm saying you should wear both.
jthrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:02   #11
Jim S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
Don't misunderstand me, I'm no saint in this regard and am a little overweight myself. I can still see where he's coming from.
He made it sound like not eating properly or having an unhealthy lifestyle means you shouldn't bother carrying a gun.
Nothing to do with being a bad ass or not.
And besides that...
I know a few guys who are 300+ lbs and guess what???
They actually are bad asses.
May not chase you around but still well able to kick ass and shoot really well.
They don't go around acting bad but I know they are because of their military experience and other things too.
It is unwise to under-estimate an opponent because of what he looks like.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:06   #12
Jim S.

Quote:
I think most of you missed the point.

This wasn't intended to be a very serious topic or bash people's health/lifestyle decisions. The McDonald's thing was an example. In fact, I consider the $1 McDouble to be the best value of any purchase you can make

It was supposed to be like recognizing that its a silly thing to not wear your seatbelt because your holster is in the way. I'm saying you should wear both.
Maybe I misunderstood your sense of humor.
I ride a bicycle and don't wear a helmet.
But I do carry a gun.
And I personally do not think of that as a stupid thing to do.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:29   #13
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
He made it sound like not eating properly or having an unhealthy lifestyle means you shouldn't bother carrying a gun.
Nothing to do with being a bad ass or not.
And besides that...
I know a few guys who are 300+ lbs and guess what???
They actually are bad asses.
May not chase you around but still well able to kick ass and shoot really well.
They don't go around acting bad but I know they are because of their military experience and other things too.
It is unwise to under-estimate an opponent because of what he looks like.
I agree with your last sentence. While it's true that there are a few obese people that can seriously handle their business, few is the key word. The vast majority of overweight people (again, myself included) would be much more effective in a fight, gunfight or otherwise, were they in better shape. That's just a fact. Heck, imagine how awesome those few obese people that actually can handle business would be were they in shape. Whether that's what the OP was getting at or not, I couldn't say, nor do I think a fat person shouldn't carry a gun just because he's fat. However, if that same person spends thousands of dollars on the latest and greatest gun gear to be "more effective" but won't put on a pair of running shoes, he's not getting his money's worth.

That's why I shoot, dry-fire, run, train, lift, read, and try to eat healthier now. My self-defense strategy isn't limited to what's on my hip.

-Edward Conlon
Old 05-18-2013, 16:20   #14
SCmasterblaster

Quote:

A kevlar helmet?