GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:54   #121
WarEagle32

I sure wish Gaston would listen to what people wanted, but he just doesn't give a damn from what I have read and what products we see!
WarEagle32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 21:56   #122
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
.. Steyr's marketing is weak but the gun is awesome. ....
Although I am not so fond of the trapezoid sights I agree with the second part of your statement.

I have issues with the word "weak" in the first part. Let me replace it with 'awful, atrocious, beschissen, abominable, terrible'.
The Steyr attitude 'You need us, we don't need you' used to work back in Austria and perhaps is still working for them in many countries. (Yes I need them when I misplace a magazine for a ProHunter etc )

I don't mean to pick on the guys in Trussville, Al. They are doing a great job as far as I can tell.

Back to the M&P pistol; I don't like the trigger, and that's why I replaced my S&W with the Croatian One which I eventually traded for another Glock - imagine that.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:19   #123
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmor53 View Post
Maaan. There's some strong ignora...errr...umm...nonsense being spouted in this thread. Liking many varieties of firearms...I'll just stay out of the Kool Aid flavor war.

From a successfull business perspective...product innovation and marketing often makes a decent product successfull. Add top notch customer service and a willingness to improve the product as necessary...the item/s can become legendary...

For just so long.

While Glock is resting on it's worldwide market laurels and sales...they had better wake up if they want to be a dominant player in the market share. Even if a legend banks on a name and refuse to innovate or offer changes for a fickle market..."the legend" may remain but sales will fade.

Just ask Colt...
I've been saying something similar to this for some time now. Glock was the leader at one time in the poly pistol market. There is no arguing that, as it's a fact. However it's been doing nothing really new or innovative in years. They seem to refuse to listen to there civilian customer base. Hate to say it but many of the other manufactures of poly pistols are listening and doing something about it. As you can see by there designs and new models there definitely not sitting on there butt's doing nothing. As and example. Every single stack 9mm/40cal being sold today Glock could have played major part in, but for some reason chose not to, even when the Civilian customer base was screaming for one for years. Springfield Armory was listening though, So was Walther, Berretta, and a couple others.
Not a good business move on Gaston's part.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:42   #124
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
As you can see by there designs and new models there definitely not sitting on there butt's doing nothing.
Ten years from now:

1) S&W will have released another new polymer pistol that addresses the shortcomings of the Sigma and M&P... with new shortcomings of it's own.

2) Wilhelm Bubbles will have designed another weird polymer pistol for some weird customer that was just too awesome for Glock to allow him to design.

3) Bored of the single stack mini-9 fad, American consumers will be looking for single stack mini-45's.

4) Glock will still be "resting on their laurels!" *grumble* *grumble* *grumble*

KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02   #125
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

I've seen examples of fanboi.

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:52   #126
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Out of curiosity for those that say Glock and the M&P are high quality , but the XD/M is not....what is it that makes it inferior?

ETA: I've owned all 3 and still own the XDM/S and M&P. I've taken them all down to bare bones and the quality and components are very similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 05-14-2013 at 10:40..
Nakanokalronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:27   #127
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
Out of curiosity for those that say Glock and the M&P are high quality , but the XD/M is not....what is it that makes it inferior?

ETA: I've owned all 3 and still own the XDM/S and M&P. I've taken them all down to bare bones and the quality and components are very similar.
I have multiples of all three brands and I don't consider any one to be significantly better quality than the others.

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:19   #128
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post

I actually think the XDm is at least as good of quality as a Glock or M&P. I love it.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 13:07   #129
glocktecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 23 Nutter View Post
Because it's not.

To Glock, it's a niche market already filled w/ several hungry competitors.

When you supply whole Armies/Branches/Agencies...

...everything else is just sweepings.

Nutter
Well, that is what Colt said as well. Worked out great for them.
glocktecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 13:30   #130
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlock21 View Post
Although I am not so fond of the trapezoid sights I agree with the second part of your statement.

I have issues with the word "weak" in the first part. Let me replace it with 'awful, atrocious, beschissen, abominable, terrible'.
The Steyr attitude 'You need us, we don't need you' used to work back in Austria and perhaps is still working for them in many countries. (Yes I need them when I misplace a magazine for a ProHunter etc )
Hmmm... We Steyr folk prefer to think of the company as "discriminating". Anyone can sell to the masses. You won't find Steyr in WalMart, and I for one am pleased.

We are in fact SO pleased we don't feel the need to post anything on SteyrTalk....
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 13:47   #131
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude

The Albuquerque Police Department switched from the Glock 17 to the S&W M&P over the last few years. The officers that I've talked to either love it or still carry a Glock.

Sent from the bluegrass state using my LG. Have a GLOCKtastic day!
BicycleDay43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 14:54   #132
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
I actually think the XDm is at least as good of quality as a Glock or M&P. I love it.
Quote:
I have multiples of all three brands and I don't consider any one to be significantly better quality than the others.
I agree with both of you, but some in this thread seem to think the XD/M is sub-par for some reason and I'm curious as to why. All 3 seem to be right in-line when it comes to quality and materials used so I'm not sure where the thought of the XD/M being less of a gun is coming from. None of my Glocks, XDs/XDM/XDS or M&P FS/Shield have/had a single malfunction or problem. Actually, I've owned 7 XD models in 9mm and 45acp in all sizes, one XDM 4.5 9mm and the XDS 45acp, so I've owned more of them than the others.

I know the Glock has been around for awhile and is used by police and military around the world. The M&P which is designated military and police seem to be used by more and more police departments. The XD/M is used in Croatia, maybe other places that I'm unaware of so maybe it's because more agencies use the other two that make them seem above the XD/M series? I'm not sure, so I hope one of the people saying it's less of a gun chime in and explain why.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 05-14-2013 at 14:55..
Nakanokalronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 15:46   #133
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I had a XD-9sc that I think was every bit as good as my G26. I'd still have it but it got caught up in a trade that I could not resist. I didn't own the G26 at the time or maybe it would have gone instead of the Xd9sc. Both IMO are very fine reliable pistols and I'd trust my life to either one.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 19:38   #134
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
We are in fact SO pleased we don't feel the need to post anything on SteyrTalk....
Good for you
... being so pleased, I may find you at steyrclub.com someday.
Old 05-14-2013, 20:29   #135
donmor53

There is absolutely nothing "inferior" about the Springfield XD line.

The ergonomics are the difference...period.

Snobs will be snobs I guess...
donmor53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 20:31   #136
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmor53 View Post
There is absolutely nothing "inferior" about the Springfield XD line.

The ergonomics are the difference...period.
I agree

I happen to like the ergos, especially the XDm.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:38   #137
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

With unprecedented demand, unprecendented orders (backorders), higher sales than ever, I can see why glock doesn't spend countless hours fulfilling the wish list of permit holders. But I do think they need to try more new things.