GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 19:42   #151
hpracing007
Senior Member
 
hpracing007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 5,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Umm, we could cut spending anywhere and everywhere.

It's not a revenue problem, it's spending!
I agree we have a spending problem, 100%. But I don't think we can cut everything down to $0. I don't like paying taxes but I do think some public goods are necessary for a functioning society.

Just my opinion, maybe you think I'm a socialist and you have a solution (we should just all chip in and hire mercenaries, I dunno.)
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 19:46   #152
Grabbrass
Senior Member
 
Grabbrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Almost Heaven
Posts: 3,833
I'm opposed to this, or any other form of sales tax whatsoever, until the federal income tax is abolished. You want to tax me on my consumption? Fine. You want to tax me on my income? Fine. But not both.
__________________
I am the Cheese. I am the best character on this show. I am better than both the salami and the baloney combined.
Grabbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 19:46   #153
hpracing007
Senior Member
 
hpracing007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 5,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockPistola View Post
Bingo! Stop funding welfare programs for illegal immigrants, stop welfare to big banks and corporations in the form of bail outs, stop spending money on stupid laws, etc and there won't be a need for new taxes or increases in already existing ones.

Oh, and stop foreign aid and weapons to countries that hate us.
Agreed, 100%. I'd vote for you if you ran with those ideas.

But who'd pay your salary if you won the election? We'd still need tax.
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 19:51   #154
recshooter9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 42
Today, Internet sales tax , tomorrow, yard sale sales tax. Where will it end.
recshooter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 19:52   #155
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpracing007 View Post
I agree we have a spending problem, 100%. But I don't think we can cut everything down to $0. I don't like paying taxes but I do think some public goods are necessary for a functioning society.
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpracing007 View Post
Just my opinion, maybe you think I'm a socialist and you have a solution
Why would I think you're a socialist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpracing007 View Post
(we should just all chip in and hire mercenaries, I dunno.)
Mercs for what? Are we going to fight another war. I hope not - for all intents and purposes, the .gov is broke.

If you want to make a donation to the hire-a-Merc fund, OK. I'll abstain, thank you.
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 19:56   #156
Big Bird
NRA Life Member
 
Big Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,054
The Boston Tea party started over a 10% tax on tea...


Now we roll over for whatever they want to take.

Suckers!
__________________
Big Bird,

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 19:56   #157
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpracing007 View Post
Agreed, 100%. I'd vote for you if you ran with those ideas.

But who'd pay your salary if you won the election? We'd still need tax.
With trillion + deficits you still want to pay taxes!? How much more are you, as a tax payer, willing to pay?
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 19:56   #158
HarlDane
Senior Member
 
HarlDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 6,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockPistola View Post
I haven't read every response in this thread yet, but the biggest problem I see with this issue is our government continuing to violate The Constitution. Article I, Section 7 states that all revenue bills shall originate in the House of Representatives. It's amazing that nobody in Congress is even bothering to point this out. So whether you agree with the tax or not, the bigger issue here is its unconstitutionality.
It's not a revenue bill, it doesn't create a new tax, it changes the method by which existing taxes are collected.
__________________
-HarlDane-
"Son of the San Joaquin"
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. A. Einstein
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 19:57   #159
HarlDane
Senior Member
 
HarlDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 6,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
With trillion + deficits you still want to pay taxes!? How much more are you, as a tax payer, willing to pay?
What do State and local taxes have to do with Federal deficits?
__________________
-HarlDane-
"Son of the San Joaquin"
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. A. Einstein
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 20:01   #160
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,105


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
It's not a revenue bill, it doesn't create a new tax, it changes the method by which existing taxes are collected.
Logic dictates this. Again. HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 20:02   #161
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
What do State and local taxes have to do with Federal deficits?
I don't know. Maybe most .govs at the state and local levels are running in the red?

How's California's state budget? How about the county and city you live in? Are they in the black?

Again I ask, how much more as a tax payer are you willing to pay?
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 05-08-2013 at 20:04..
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 20:12   #162
GlockPistola
Senior Member
 
GlockPistola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpracing007 View Post
Agreed, 100%. I'd vote for you if you ran with those ideas.

But who'd pay your salary if you won the election? We'd still need tax.
Same answer. We still had Presidents and Congress prior to the income tax. We already have sales taxes to cover government functions and if they stopped over spending, that revenue would suffice. The more money they loot from us, the more they spend. After Obamacare, the biggest tax hike in history, we should be opposing any new taxes or increases.
__________________
The 2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.

Last edited by GlockPistola; 05-08-2013 at 20:28..
GlockPistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 21:04   #163
HarlDane
Senior Member
 
HarlDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 6,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
I don't know. Maybe most .govs at the state and local levels are running in the red?

How's California's state budget? How about the county and city you live in? Are they in the black?

Again I ask, how much more as a tax payer are you willing to pay?
You seem to have a real problem understanding the reason many like myself support this bill and it has nothing to do with us wanting more taxes.

Taxes, however small or big they may be, should be collected evenly across the board. You seem to grasp this basic concept when you object to a progressive income tax; yet when a sales tax collection system creates a significant advantage for certain types of businesses, you're all for it, simply because it makes your tax evasion easier.


As for my local City and County budgets, both are modest, provide for basic services and haven't inured much debt. California gets a lot of bad press, but actually has a small budget surplus this year. But I'm still not sure how that is affected by the ever growing federal debt. Perhaps instead of ranting about taxes you could calm down and put together a coherent argument that isn't centered around making your tax evasion easier.
__________________
-HarlDane-
"Son of the San Joaquin"
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. A. Einstein
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 21:24   #164
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
You seem to have a real problem understanding the reason many like myself support this bill and it has nothing to do with us wanting more taxes.
In this thread you and two others support this bill, and one claims not to buy on line! If you haven't noticed, you and your buddies seem to be in the minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
Taxes, however small or big they may be, should be collected evenly across the board.
The fact is they're not. This proposed federal law does nothing but put more regulations on business,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
You seem to grasp this basic concept when you object to a progressive income tax; yet when a sales tax collection system creates a significant advantage for certain types of businesses, you're all for it, simply because it makes your tax evasion easier.
I object to all taxes! Haven't I made that clear?


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
As for my local City and County budgets, both are modest, provide for basic services and haven't inured much debt.
Key words: much debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
California gets a lot of bad press, but actually has a small budget surplus this year.
Yeah? Predicted/projected surpluses based on optimistic assumptions. It seems Brownie's gambling that everything goes right despite all the tax increases.

What about the debt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
But I'm still not sure how that is affected by the ever growing federal debt.
At some point someone is going to have to pay it. Guess who'll that will be and how it'll be funded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
Perhaps instead of ranting about taxes you could calm down and put together a coherent argument that isn't centered around making your tax evasion easier.
I have put together argument(s), some points you choose to ignore like taxation without representation.

You want to label me a tax evader. It's cool. I'll wear that label proudly.
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 05-08-2013 at 21:34..
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 21:56   #165
HarlDane
Senior Member
 
HarlDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 6,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
In this thread you and two others support this bill, and one claims not to buy on line! If you haven't noticed, you and your buddies seem to be in the minority.
And?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
The fact is they're not. This proposed federal law does nothing but put more regulations on business,
No, it balances regulations in a more equal manner. The only thing worse than government regulation is government regulation that unfairly burdens some while creating advantages for others. Someone who complains about progressive income taxes and the welfare state should be able to grasp that simple concept; and yet here you are championing for more of the same. When it comes to your taxes, you have no problem with it.



The rest of your post about debt has nothing to do with the argument I'm making and which you still can't quite grasp.
__________________
-HarlDane-
"Son of the San Joaquin"
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. A. Einstein
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:05   #166
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,105


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
You seem to have a real problem understanding the reason many like myself support this bill and it has nothing to do with us wanting more taxes.
It has absolutely nothing to do with more taxes. Well said, Sir. HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:09   #167
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
And?
And it seems that hardly anyone agrees with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
No, it balances regulations in a more equal manner.
No it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
The only thing worse than government regulation is government regulation that unfairly burdens some while creating advantages for others.
It's more burden for everyone involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
Someone who complains about progressive income taxes and the welfare state should be able to grasp that simple concept; and yet here you are championing for more of the same.
I'm championing less federal intervention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
When it comes to your taxes, you have no problem with it.
When it comes to my taxes I have no problem paying less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
The rest of your post about debt has nothing to do with the argument I'm making and which you still can't quite grasp.
I've addressed everyone of your points while you choose to ignore some of the points I've made.
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:11   #168
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
It has absolutely nothing to do with more taxes. Well said, Sir. HH
If I'm not paying the tax now, but have to pay if this gets passed, that's a new tax!
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:15   #169
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 20,170
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
If I'm not paying the tax now, but have to pay if this gets passed, that's a new tax!


Its not a new tax, if you're only paying it because you can no longer dodge it.



Its the same old tax. They're just closing a loophole people have been abusing.
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:18   #170
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,105


Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
If I'm not paying the tax now, but have to pay if this gets passed, that's a new tax!
It's been made abundantly clear that you should have always been paying the tax. HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:19   #171
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Its not a new tax, if you're only paying it because you can no longer dodge it.
If I'm not paying the tax now, but have to pay if this gets passed, that's a new tax!


Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Its the same old tax. They're just closing a loophole people have been abusing.
Abuse!? Seriously?
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:22   #172
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
It's been made abundantly clear that you should have always been paying the tax. HH
This is a new tax regardless of the should'ves/would'ves/could'ves among tens of millions of others who haven't been.
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:27   #173
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 20,170
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
If I'm not paying the tax now, but have to pay if this gets passed, that's a new tax!




Abuse!? Seriously?


You're EVADING a tax now.

They're closing the loophole you're using to evade it.


If you're currently evading it, it can't be new you have to pay it.
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:34   #174
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
You're EVADING a tax now.

They're closing the loophole you're using to evade it.


If you're currently evading it, it can't be new you have to pay it.
If I'm not paying the tax now, but have to pay if this gets passed, that's a new tax!
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:36   #175
JuneyBooney
Senior Member
 
JuneyBooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...les-tax-amazon

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to me.
I hope the house does not approve it. I have noticed in the past few years that some items because of shipping are just as cheap to buy locally. If they add tax the net will not be much cheaper on items.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:42.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 975
296 Members
679 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42