Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-06-2013, 23:15   #51
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Right according to whom?

How can the .gov distort tax laws any more than they already are?
Having different tax collection requirements for online and B&M retailers distorts things more than they would be if both had the same set of rules.

Quote:
Unless you report every online purchase, you're evading taxes, too. The only exemption is if you live in a state that doesn't have sales tax.

Weren't our Founding Fathers tax evaders?
I can't tell you the last time I purchased something online and didn't pay sales tax, but then what little I buy online comes from large retailers like amazon who collect CA sales tax.
HarlDane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 23:21   #52
toshbar
Timber Baron

I'd for sure move my company offshore. What's worse? Import taxes or sales tax?
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 23:21   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
Having different tax collection requirements for online and B&M retailers distorts things more than they would be if both had the same set of rules.

I can't tell you the last time I purchased something online and didn't pay sales tax, but then what little I buy online comes from large retailers like amazon who collect CA sales tax.
There it is: you have to pay taxes on what little you buy online because Amazon is in CA, so its only fair that the rest of us have to pay taxes, too. Got it.

That's not fair!

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 23:22   #54
engineer151515

Quote:
You can come up with silly examples all you want. The bottom line is having two sets of tax collection rules is the government picking winners and losers, that simply isn't right.
Calling it silly doesn't invalidate the example. It is factual.

However, let's not pick winners and losers. Why not abolish all sales taxes altogether? It is regressive tax, imposing a greater burden on the poor than on the rich.

I suspect the Feds can't wait to impose a national sales tax on top of everything else.
Old 05-06-2013, 23:22   #55
railfancwb

Quote:
There is software that will do it for you, just punch in a zip code and it can compute taxes.
Zip code boundaries do not necessarily coincide with tax jurisdiction boundaries. I have a city zip code but live outside the city boundaries.
Old 05-06-2013, 23:25   #56
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer151515 View Post
Calling it silly doesn't invalidate the example. It is factual.

However, let's not pick winners and losers. Why not abolish all sales taxes altogether? It is regressive tax, imposing a greater burden on the poor than on the rich.

I suspect the Feds can't wait to impose a national sales tax on top of everything else.
I'm all for lowering or eliminating taxes, but until then, they should be applied evenly across the board.
Old 05-06-2013, 23:26   #57
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
Zip code boundaries do not necessarily coincide with tax jurisdiction boundaries. I have a city zip code but live outside the city boundaries.
My point still stands, there is software available that easily solve these problems.
Old 05-06-2013, 23:42   #58

Quote:
I'm all for lowering or eliminating taxes, but until then, they should be applied evenly across the board.
Fairness from the .gov! Pardon me while I:

Old 05-06-2013, 23:47   #59
HarlDane

Quote:
Fairness from the .gov! Pardon me while I:
And yet you're here arguing for the government to purposely distort the market further.
Old 05-06-2013, 23:50   #60

Quote:
And yet you're here arguing for the government to purposely distort the market further.
Distort it further!? I'm arguing for the status quo - you know to keep things the way they are!

Old 05-06-2013, 23:53   #61
swoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
Relax. It's for retailers with sales over $1,000,000.

Are you one of them?
A million is nothing, sales-wise.
swoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 23:57   #62
HarlDane

Quote:
Distort it further!? I'm arguing for the status quo - you know to keep things the way they are!
And the status quo is a more distorted market than the one the proposed legislation would create.

In other words, you're fine with the government picking winners and losers instead of the market, provided you're the winner.
Old 05-06-2013, 23:58   #63

nevermind.

Last edited by 427; 05-06-2013 at 23:58..
Old 05-07-2013, 00:00   #64
Tiro Fijo

Anyone who thinks that the DemoRats are involved in this due to leveling the playing field, or some other "feel good", BS is an idiot. It's clearly a ploy to bring more gold to Rome's coffers and nothing more.

Read my lips:

Democrats raise as well as implement taxes!!
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 00:02   #65

Quote:
And the status quo is a more distorted market than the one the proposed legislation would create.
I don't think so.

Quote:
In other words, you're fine with the government picking winners and losers instead of the market, provided you're the winner.
The .gov already picks winners and losers though it's progressive taxes.

You're just bitter because the you're getting taxed by Amazon and think it's only fair* that the rest of us get taxed - just like you.

BTW, I'm all for keeping as much of my earnings as I can.

Last edited by 427; 05-07-2013 at 00:05..
Old 05-07-2013, 00:05   #66
swoh

Quote:
There is software that will do it for you, just punch in a zip code and it can compute taxes.
But then you have to pay the 46 states that have them, probably quarterly - a fair bit of paperwork for a mom-and-pop and $1M in sales can easily qualify as that. This is a scam to control competition by small business against the big retailers whose market presence already dictates that they collect sales tax in most jurisdictions.

The small businesses remain competitive because they don't have to charge sales tax, b/c they sure can't compete on volume discounts. Add sales tax to the shipping costs and you will need specialized merchandize to compete and the likelihood is that buyers will experience a reduction in choice for a given dollar value spent, meaning they will need to spend more to have the same number of choices as they did previously.
Old 05-07-2013, 00:07   #67
swoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
It's amazing how so many don't get this. HH
Taxes not previously paid now collected certainly equals a tax increase in reality, if not statute.
Old 05-07-2013, 00:08   #68
podwich

It's a horrible bill. I hope the House shoots it down. Talk about business-killing regulation.

And yes, I do pay use tax to the state as required by law.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 00:11   #69
swoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by datatech2550 View Post
So being audited by several hundred taxing authorities is no big deal? Really?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Actually, it's more than 9600, but only the states will collect the taxes, which they will distribute to jurisdictions within their borders. As it stands, they may all have the power to audit or only the states will do so - I have heard nothing about the particulars and if it's anything like Obamacare, they voted on it first and will work the details out later.
Old 05-07-2013, 00:16   #70
swoh

Quote:
It seems you want the government playing favorites, making some types of businesses collect taxes on sales and letting others selling the exact same products off the hook creating a significant advantage for them.
And subsidies and tax rebates for certain businesses that currently exist aren't "playing favorites"? These usually only go to large businesses, not small - unfair advantage.
Old 05-07-2013, 00:16   #71
datatech2550

Quote:
My point still stands, there is software available that easily solve these problems.
I have to have a tax id from the state of TX to collect sales tax, Every month you submit a report of EACH taxing district you collected monies in, and how much.

This is a time consuming ordeal for a busy service company and if you make a mistake on the calculations, an audit.

A brick and mortar store collects tax in ONE district, even Wal-Mart only has to file one report for each site.

Now if I sell online, I would need to get id numbers from every tax authority in the country, file reports with EVERY one of them if I collected monies that month or not, and be subject to audits from ALL of them.

The only way to say the burden is the same is if the online transactions are taxed at the sellers location and not the buyers, but that's not what this it's about.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 05-07-2013, 00:21   #72
swoh

Quote:
You can come up with silly examples all you want. The bottom line is having two sets of tax collection rules is the government picking winners and losers, that simply isn't right.
Is it any wonder you're from Kalifornia?
Old 05-07-2013, 00:23   #73
JW1178

And what are they going to spend the money on? I guess we will give Syria some F16's too?
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 00:24   #74
swoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
And what are they going to spend the money on? I guess we will give Syria some F16's too?
The obvious answer is that the states are eventually going to have to help subsidize Obamacare and need every nickel they can get their hands on.
Old 05-07-2013, 00:31   #75

Sen. Mike Enzi, a so called conservative Republican from Wyoming, is the bill's main sponsor.