GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 22:18   #26
vettely
Senior Member
 
vettely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
Relax. It's for retailers with sales over $1,000,000.

Are you one of them?
So, WalMart supported this. Why do you think? Hmm.
__________________
N.R.A. Life Member
vettely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:19   #27
HarlDane
Senior Member
 
HarlDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
Every single item I sell has been taxed once already. Even the "new" items I sell, are "used".. In my opinion, when you tax an item twice, you're raising taxes.
Completely separate issue. The issue here is holding online retailers to the same rules as B&M retailers.
__________________
-HarlDane-
"Son of the San Joaquin"
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. A. Einstein
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:19   #28
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
No, it's addressing your evasion. HH
Do you want to pay more in taxes? I don't. I don't have a problem starving an already bloated government of funds.
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:21   #29
Joshhtn
Rastaman!
 
Joshhtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 6,122


Never mind.
__________________
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
***CHECK OUT MY EBAY STORE FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED-***
HEINRICH TREASURES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.

Last edited by Joshhtn; 05-06-2013 at 22:22..
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:22   #30
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,075


Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Do you want to pay more in taxes? I don't. I don't have a problem starving an already bloated government of funds.
Who's paying more? The cost of an item I buy downtown doesn't change one cent. HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:23   #31
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Who's paying more? The cost of an item I buy downtown doesn't change one cent. HH
I forgot. You don't buy anything online, you buy everything locally.
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:27   #32
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,075


Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
I forgot. You don't buy anything online, you buy everything locally.
It's the least I can do for my local retailers. HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:30   #33
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
It's the least I can do for my local retailers. HH
"Any tax is a good tax as long as it doesn't affect me", is that your logic?
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:35   #34
vettely
Senior Member
 
vettely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
It's the least I can do for my local retailers. HH
Cool, and they can add a "convenience fee" for you getting it right away and not paying shipping, waiting, signature required, and potential theft, etc...
__________________
N.R.A. Life Member
vettely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:36   #35
Wake_jumper
Senior Member
 
Wake_jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,678
Online retailers will have to hire people to comply with this new law, which will mean that they will have to raise their prices to cover. I can't imagine the thousands of payments that will have to be made to every state, county, city, etc. across the country. What a disaster for a small business.
Wake_jumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:37   #36
Joshhtn
Rastaman!
 
Joshhtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 6,122


Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
"Any tax is a good tax as long as it doesn't affect me", is that your logic?
It certainly sounds that way.
__________________
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
***CHECK OUT MY EBAY STORE FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED-***
HEINRICH TREASURES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:39   #37
Wake_jumper
Senior Member
 
Wake_jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
It's the least I can do for my local retailers. HH
I would be happy to trade with my local retailers... but their buyers are too stupid to buy/stock the things I want.
Wake_jumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:39   #38
engineer151515
_______________
 
engineer151515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 20,095


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
There is no increase in taxes, only a change in how they are collected.
Shall they check your driver's license too, should you choose to shop across state lines? Wouldn't want to evade any home tax rates on purchases elsewhere, now would we?
__________________
A picture is worth a thousand words but you can't see what those shades of gray keep covered. You should have seen it in color. - Jamey Johnson - In Color

Last edited by engineer151515; 05-06-2013 at 22:47..
engineer151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:43   #39
HarlDane
Senior Member
 
HarlDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
"Any tax is a good tax as long as it doesn't affect me", is that your logic?
It seems you want the government playing favorites, making some types of businesses collect taxes on sales and letting others selling the exact same products off the hook creating a significant advantage for them.
__________________
-HarlDane-
"Son of the San Joaquin"
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. A. Einstein

Last edited by HarlDane; 05-06-2013 at 22:43..
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:48   #40
HarlDane
Senior Member
 
HarlDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer151515 View Post
Where there was no tax before, I find new taxes levied.
The tax was already there, just because many didn't pay it doesn't mean it didn't exist. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer151515 View Post
Shall they check your driver's license too, should you choose to shop across state lines?
They do for some big ticket item like automobiles.
__________________
-HarlDane-
"Son of the San Joaquin"
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. A. Einstein

Last edited by HarlDane; 05-06-2013 at 22:48..
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:48   #41
Joshhtn
Rastaman!
 
Joshhtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 6,122


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
It seems you want the government playing favorites, making some types of businesses collect taxes on sales and letting others selling the exact same products off the hook creating a significant advantage for them.
I sell those exact same products through my ebay store, as do many fellow sellers I know. We buy these items "used". Taxes have already been paid once on these items... How is it fair that they be paid again? I know you said that this is a seperate issue, but I'm not understanding how?
__________________
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
***CHECK OUT MY EBAY STORE FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED-***
HEINRICH TREASURES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:51   #42
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
It seems you want the government playing favorites, making some types of businesses collect taxes on sales and letting others selling the exact same products off the hook creating a significant advantage for them.
The .gov is already playing favorites with its progressive tax system and arbitrary tiers.

Is that the role of government, to "level" the playing field, to make things "fair"? They're already doing a poopy job.

I'm tired of shelling out more and more money to all levels of the .gov.
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:52   #43
HarlDane
Senior Member
 
HarlDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
I sell those exact same products through my ebay store, as do many fellow sellers I know. We buy these items "used". Taxes have already been paid once on these items... How is it fair that they be paid again? I know you said that this is a seperate issue, but I'm not understanding how?
If you're buying items for resale, you should be able to get an exemption from sales tax.

The issue of taxing used items is different from taxing online retailers.
__________________
-HarlDane-
"Son of the San Joaquin"
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. A. Einstein
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:53   #44
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
The tax was already there, just because many didn't pay it doesn't mean it didn't exist. .

They do for some big ticket item like automobiles.
Do you want to pay more in taxes?

Or are you going to claim that you report EVERY internet purchase you make?

Or do you live in a state that doesn't collect sales tax?
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:54   #45
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
Completely separate issue. The issue here is holding online retailers to the same rules as B&M retailers.
Not exactly. A brick and mortar store generally sells within one set of tax laws. They're wanting to make online retailers sell within 50+ sets of tax laws, which can get extremely difficult to handle and very expensive. Now, if they made those 50+ different sets of tax laws all the same, so it boils down to just one set of tax laws for online retailers, then it's the same thing as a regular brick and mortar store. But until they do it, it's vastly different than holding online retailers to the same rules as a brick and mortar store.

Walmart wants it done because they think it will drive people to their stores, Amazon wants it done because they're pretty much already doing it, and it won't be a huge hassle to include the other states they don't have warehouses in. That, and they have money out the butt, they can afford to do it.

But trying to tell a medium sized online shop that they have to comply with all fifty states different tax laws is just a nightmare that I don't even want to think about how complicated it could get.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 22:59   #46
HarlDane
Senior Member
 
HarlDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
The .gov is already playing favorites with its progressive tax system and arbitrary tiers.
That doesn't make further intrusion that happens to benefit you right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Is that the role of government, to "level" the playing field, to make things "fair"? They're already doing a poopy job.
Not at all, but that doesn't mean it's okay for them to distort things further with different regulations for different businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
I'm tired of shelling out more and more money to all levels of the .gov.
You've already indicated you're okay with evading taxes, I guess you'll just have to be a little more creative next year to make up for any online sales tax you pay .
__________________
-HarlDane-
"Son of the San Joaquin"
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. A. Einstein
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 23:03   #47
HarlDane
Senior Member
 
HarlDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Not exactly. A brick and mortar store generally sells within one set of tax laws. They're wanting to make online retailers sell within 50+ sets of tax laws, which can get extremely difficult to handle and very expensive. Now, if they made those 50+ different sets of tax laws all the same, so it boils down to just one set of tax laws for online retailers, then it's the same thing as a regular brick and mortar store. But until they do it, it's vastly different than holding online retailers to the same rules as a brick and mortar store.
Online retailers choose to do business in multiple locations, just like many B&M businesses. If doing business in multiple tax jurisdictions is too complected, they can limit themselves to what they can handle.
__________________
-HarlDane-
"Son of the San Joaquin"
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. A. Einstein

Last edited by HarlDane; 05-06-2013 at 23:05..
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 23:04   #48
engineer151515
_______________
 
engineer151515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 20,095


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
The tax was already there, just because many didn't pay it doesn't mean it didn't exist. .

They do for some big ticket item like automobiles.
So, if I drive to Florida and purchase orange juice, which is sales tax exempt, I should return to Alabama and pay Alabama sales tax on the orange juice I purchased in Florida and returned in my automobile?

However, if I order orange juice from a Florida retailer over the internet, and it is delivered to Alabama, I should pay Alabama sales tax on Florida sales tax exempt orange juice?

Because "the tax was already there"?

OK - in all fairness, I'm picking a particular product with a particular circumstance and most products would not fit this category.

It's still a money grab. I'll compromise. Before the Feds pass this law, why don't we demand some sign of fiscal responsibility from the same said group. Let's ask for something basic . . . perhaps an annual budget?
__________________
A picture is worth a thousand words but you can't see what those shades of gray keep covered. You should have seen it in color. - Jamey Johnson - In Color

Last edited by engineer151515; 05-06-2013 at 23:10..
engineer151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 23:07   #49
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
That doesn't make further intrusion that happens to benefit you right.
Right according to whom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
Not at all, but that doesn't mean it's okay for them to distort things further with different regulations for different businesses.
How can the .gov distort tax laws any more than they already are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
You've already indicated you're okay with evading taxes, I guess you'll just have to be a little more creative next year to make up for any online sales tax you pay .
Unless you report every online purchase, you're evading taxes, too. The only exemption is if you live in a state that doesn't have sales tax.

Weren't our Founding Fathers tax evaders?
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 05-06-2013 at 23:08..
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 23:09   #50
HarlDane
Senior Member
 
HarlDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer151515 View Post
So, if I drive to Florida and purchase orange juice, which is sales tax exempt, I should return to Alabama and pay Alabama sales tax on the orange juice I purchased in Florida and returned in my automobile?

However, if I order orange juice from a Florida retailer over the internet, and it is delivered to Alabama, I should pay Alabama sales tax on sales tax exempt orange juice?

Because "the tax was already there"?

Hmmmm
You can come up with silly examples all you want. The bottom line is having two sets of tax collection rules is the government picking winners and losers, that simply isn't right.
__________________
-HarlDane-
"Son of the San Joaquin"
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. A. Einstein
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:18.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,199
388 Members
811 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42