SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-09-2013, 13:22   #226
swoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
Where have I ever defended those things? Are you suggesting that because some unfair regulations exist it means more is just fine?

You keep bringing up small businesses being hurt by this when in reality they are being crushed by internet competition who are given a significant advantage by being exempt from collecting sales tax.

Why not apply all regulations evenly across the board and let them compete in the market place?
Trying to correct regulatory inequalities one at a time is, itself, imposing an inequality. Some inequalities are fundamental, mechanistic results of the market itself, like economies of scale that make it possible for large business to achieve better pricing per unit, and will never be undone.

How so? Large corporations usually have locations in most, if not all states, thus must collect taxes for these jurisdictions. Additionally, large corporations have the kind of manpower and resources that make dealing with the regulatory burden of 9600+ tax districts far less costly and problematic than for small businesses, so the requirement that all can collect sales taxes for these districts because they are on an equal footing is false.

Last edited by swoh; 05-09-2013 at 13:22..
swoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 13:25   #227
swoh

Quote:
Where have I chosen to pick a single government regulation to make fair? I've stated many times in this and other threads that all government regulation should be applied evenly.
But you've chosen to support a piece of govt. legislation that addresses only a single aspect of unfairness - and that itself is unfair. Until you support global govt. prohibitions on special treatment for all business, you will only burden some businesses more than others - we could wait decades for all the fovoritism to be undone and millions of small businesses could fold while we're waiting.
Old 05-09-2013, 13:32   #228
swoh

Quote:
B&M businesses don't keep staff at each location to deal with sales tax issues, it's generally handled at a corporate office.

Where have I ever defended those things? Are you suggesting that because some unfair regulations exist it means more are just fine?

You keep bringing up small businesses being hurt by this when in reality they are being crushed by internet competition who are given a significant advantage by being exempt from collecting sales tax.

Why not apply all regulations evenly across the board and let them compete in the market place?
I agree with that to some extent, but there are still duties that involve local personnel and even if there were none, large companies have far more resources to throw at the issue and can do more with a given number of FTEs than can a small business with a single location.

Are you going to magically undo all regulations that affect business at the same time? Because, if not, undoing some regulations while leaving others in place for some period of time, will only create new inequalities.
Old 05-09-2013, 13:33   #229
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoh View Post
But you've chosen to support a piece of govt. legislation that addresses only a single aspect of unfairness - and that itself is unfair. Until you support global govt. prohibitions on special treatment for all business, you will only burden some businesses more than others - we could wait decades for all the fovoritism to be undone and millions of small businesses could fold while we're waiting.
We will never get sweeping legislation that eliminates all unfair government regulation. Things must be changed one issue at a time.

You keep addressing small business, but are only taking internet based small businesses into account. There are thousands of B&M small businesses, who make up the backbone of the economy, who are suffering every day due to online competitors who aren't subject to the same regulations.
HarlDane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 13:33   #230
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
But you've chosen to support a piece of govt. legislation that addresses only a single aspect of unfairness - and that itself is unfair.
It doesn't even address the single aspect of unfairness. It just moves the "unfairness" so the weight of that "unfairness" it is borne by a different party.

Wal-Mart, Amazon don't care because they're already big enough that they're either already doing it anyway (Wal-Mart has tons of physical locations, so they already have to do it) or they can absorb the cost of whatever they're not already doing.

The guy whose business is supplying something using internet-only orders where he only has one physical location in the jurisdiction of one single state - that's the guy who is going to get hit.
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 05-09-2013 at 13:34..
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 13:36   #231
swoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by void * View Post
It doesn't even address the single aspect of unfairness. It just moves the "unfairness" so the weight of that "unfairness" it is borne by a different party.

Wal-Mart, Amazon don't care because they're already big enough that they're either already doing it anyway (Wal-Mart has tons of physical locations, so they already have to do it) or they can absorb the cost of whatever they're not already doing.

The guy whose business is supplying something using internet-only orders where he only has one physical location in the jurisdiction of one single state - that's the guy who is going to get hit.
REad some of what I just posted and you'll see that I agree with you, even if I wasn't as clear as I should've been.
Old 05-09-2013, 13:37   #232
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
There are thousands of B&M small businesses, who make up the backbone of the economy, who are suffering every day due to online competitors who aren't subject to the same regulations.
So why should the internet businesses have a disadvantage in comparison to the B&M businesses? Those small-business B&M won't have to deal with 50+ different sales taxes when they have a single physical location. You don't see that as a burden?

And, I write code for a living. "There will be software" is not a magic bullet, it's-all-gonna-be-hunky-dory thing. That software will more than likely not be free and I can tell you - I might take a deal where I'd maintain such software for *one* state. But 50? Keeping that *correctly* updated is going to be a *nightmare*.

Like I said in my earlier post - having the internet businesses and the B&M businesses collect sales tax in the state they actually have physical locations would be "fair". This is not about "fair", this is about "I'm a state over here, that business over there sold something to somebody in my state, and I want to force them to enforce my laws for me even though their business isn't subject to my laws in the first place, because that is more convenient for me, the state, than me, the state actually trying to enforce the laws on the people that *are* subject to my laws and therefore to paying my sales tax"
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 05-09-2013 at 13:41..
Old 05-09-2013, 13:39   #233
swoh

Quote:
We will never get sweeping legislation that eliminates all unfair government regulation. Things must be changed one issue at a time.

You keep addressing small business, but are only taking internet based small businesses into account. There are thousands of B&M small businesses, who make up the backbone of the economy, who are suffering every day due to online competitors who aren't subject to the same regulations.
But they have the freedom to go online to sell their products also, though it would be hard to sell hamburgers and ice cream cones that way, but those businesses that do don't have to worry about competition from the internet anyway. However, where the internet gives certain business segments an advantage over another small business in that segment, then the market allows them to make the same leap and accrue the same advantages.
Old 05-09-2013, 13:46   #234
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Anyone know if the House is likely to pass this?

I'm not getting into the debate about this, but I will say...
I don't think more revenue for our Governments will not solve many problems. For me the problem seems to be with the proper allocation of the funds they already have.

Last edited by OldSchool64; 05-09-2013 at 13:49..
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 17:29   #235
Ruggles

I think it pretty much sucks, but it is not a huge surprise.....
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 17:57   #236
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
For me, this isn't about revenue collection, it's about government policies that create distinct advantages for certain groups while at the same time placing burdens on their competition.

Leveling the playing field is generally not the role of government, but in this case it's only leveling that which the government skewed to begin with.

OK, I'll be your Huckleberry...

Since you claim certain "winners" are put at a distinct disadvantage because the government taxed them while they did not tax the other businesses I would submit the following:

Since: High taxes harm business (you admit it yourself and I agree!)

Therefore: We should eliminate high taxes on all businesses.

NOT: Therefore, we should highly tax all businesses.

You see the flaw in your argument?

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 18:12   #237
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Personally, I'm not in favor of sales tax in general because it is a regressive tax. For those of you not up in the econ lingo, that means it is going to hit the poorer folks disproportionately more than the richer folks. That is simply because poor folks tend to spend all of their discretionary income (which will then be taxed at 5 or 6 or 7 percent), whereas richer folks will only spend a small amount of their income on purchases. Thus the richer folks won't get taxed on a bunch of that extra "left over income." But the poor folks get taxed on it all. (of course that disregards income tax to begin with, but it is relevant, because it talks about poor folks getting taxed on everything and rich folks only getting taxed on a little chunk). Is that "fair?" It is fair if you want to screw the poor and middle classes, who live week to week, month to month, and you want to spare those who have excess "discretionary income."

But yeah, internet sales tax is coming eventually. It is only a matter of time.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 19:16   #238
Narkcop

No offense meant but damn are you smoking crack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
Personally, I'm not in favor of sales tax in general because it is a regressive tax. For those of you not up in the econ lingo, that means it is going to hit the poorer folks disproportionately more than the richer folks. That is simply because poor folks tend to spend all of their discretionary income (which will then be taxed at 5 or 6 or 7 percent), whereas richer folks will only spend a small amount of their income on purchases. Thus the richer folks won't get taxed on a bunch of that extra "left over income." But the poor folks get taxed on it all. (of course that disregards income tax to begin with, but it is relevant, because it talks about poor folks getting taxed on everything and rich folks only getting taxed on a little chunk). Is that "fair?" It is fair if you want to screw the poor and middle classes, who live week to week, month to month, and you want to spare those who have excess "discretionary income."

But yeah, internet sales tax is coming eventually. It is only a matter of time.
Those poor you are talking about are already on every kind of government assistance program you can imagine that us RICH are paying for. Damn right they should be taxed for what they are buying.
Narkcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 19:21   #239
tslex

Article 1 Section 7.

Why doesn't that settle the issue?
tslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 19:45   #240
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslex View Post
Article 1 Section 7.

Why doesn't that settle the issue?
I'm sure you mean section 9

Quote:
No tax or duty shall be laid on articles exported from any state.
But that is a good question. Of all the people who think it is a good idea I have not heard one of them address that yet.
Old 05-09-2013, 19:46   #241
1955mercury

This is going to be very complicated and require a lot of new government employees to over see it. If you have a retail business in a state you have to get a retail tax number. Then you have to send in the sales tax you collect either monthly or quarterly on a form using that retail tax number. So in this case, every business in every state that sells in other states will need to get a retail tax number from the states it sells in. Then they will have to mail in the sales tax for each sale they make to someone out of state to that state. Then someone in each state will have to keep records of which businesses in which states sold products to residents in their state. I think the cost of implementing such a program will far out weight any benefit the states see from the taxes.
1955mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 19:47   #242
AZson

I don't think this is good news at all, my state has no right to tax what I buy in another state. I'm pretty sure the GOP will kill it.
Old 05-09-2013, 19:47   #243
tslex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeere_man View Post
I'm sure you mean section 9

But that is a good question. Of all the people who think it is a good idea I have not heard one of them address that yet.
Nope. Art 1 Sec 7:

"All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills."
tslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 20:25   #244
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslex View Post
Nope. Art 1 Sec 7:

"All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills."
Those who agree with the bill will tell you it does not raise Revenue.

I'm not saying I agree with the bill just for clarity.
Old 05-09-2013, 20:53   #245
swoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
I don't think this is good news at all, my state has no right to tax what I buy in another state. I'm pretty sure the GOP will kill it.
Guess again, RINO introduced it and my RINO Sen and many others supported it.
Old 05-09-2013, 20:57   #246
swoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkcop View Post
Those poor you are talking about are already on every kind of government assistance program you can imagine that us RICH are paying for. Damn right they should be taxed for what they are buying.
Then they're going to need yet another program to make up for the money they won't get to keep, and do you really think the poorest folks shop on the internet? It is likely lower-middle class families, many rural, who barely get buy who will get hurt most.
Old 05-09-2013, 20:59   #247
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
REad some of what I just posted and you'll see that I agree with you, even if I wasn't as clear as I should've been.
Didn't mean it as disagreement - meant it as a different statement to get the point across clearer. Call it an aside, rather than disagreement
Old 05-09-2013, 21:39   #248
Detectorist

This thread just confirms what I've known for a long time...folks on here, and in general, will use every excuse under the sun to avoid paying more taxes..they prefer that others pay more...

As I've said before, most of us are net consumers of tax money and services, hence, we don't really pay our fair share..

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 21:50   #249
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
OK, I'll be your Huckleberry...

Since you claim certain "winners" are put at a distinct disadvantage because the government taxed them while they did not tax the other businesses I would submit the following:

Since: High taxes harm business (you admit it yourself and I agree!)

Therefore: We should eliminate high taxes on all businesses.

NOT: Therefore, we should highly tax all businesses.

You see the flaw in your argument?

No sales tax at all might be better (depending on what it was replaced with), but the proposed law is better than the current system that creates a significant advantage for online retailers.
Old 05-09-2013, 22:00   #250
HarlDane

Quote:
So why should the internet businesses have a disadvantage in comparison to the B&M businesses? Those small-business B&M won't have to deal with 50+ different sales taxes when they have a single physical location. You don't see that as a burden?

And, I write code for a living. "There will be software" is not a magic bullet, it's-all-gonna-be-hunky-dory thing. That software will more than likely not be free and I can tell you - I might take a deal where I'd maintain such software for *one* state. But 50? Keeping that *correctly* updated is going to be a *nightmare*.
It's certainly a burden to deal with multiple tax jurisdictions, but B&M retailers deal with the problem all the time. If the burden is too much for certain retailers, they should limit the scope of their business to what they can realistically handle, not use the government to give them an advantage other businesses can't get.

Quote:
Like I said in my earlier post - having the internet businesses and the B&M businesses collect sales tax in the state they actually have physical locations would be "fair". This is not about "fair", this is about "I'm a state over here, that business over there sold something to somebody in my state, and I want to force them to enforce my laws for me even though their business isn't subject to my laws in the first place, because that is more convenient for me, the state, than me, the state actually trying to enforce the laws on the people that *are* subject to my laws and therefore to paying my sales tax"
If their not subject to the laws of the other States, what would compel them to pay?

I'm also don't find the "physical presence" argument to have much weight. There have been huge paradigm shifts in how business is done. Online retailers have a presence in every location they ship to.

Even if you don't believe in forcing any business to collect sales tax or if you don't believe in sales taxes altogether, I can't see how you can argue with:

nobody collects sales taxes > everybody collects sales taxes > some collect sales taxes and some don't

Last edited by HarlDane; 05-10-2013 at 14:38..