GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:39   #1
jkloeker

Knocked my Glock off the nightstand, now what?

So last night my phone rang in the middle of the night and scared the crap out of me! In a haze of trying to get to it, I knocked my G19 off the nightstand. This morning went to see if there was any scratches or anything and noticed this.

Sights, Optics and Lasers

Can I just drift the sight back over, or is this just a good reason to go ahead and upgrade my sights?
jkloeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:42   #2
AngelDeville
NoHablaMexican

Just hold it sideways when you shoot, sights don't matter.

Are they really loose? If so may need to go to the mfg.
AngelDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:45   #3
jkloeker

Not loose at all. Actually really tight, just way off! lol

Wasn't sure if drifting them back over would loosen them or if they would stay tight.
jkloeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:46   #4
NDCent
Socially Inept

Move it back with a wood, plastic, or brass dowel.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26   #5
JackMac

just move it back with a brass dowel and you should be fine
Old 05-04-2013, 16:15   #6
GlocksterJeff
Glock Armorer

Yes the sight will be just as tight as it was before you dropped it... but how tight is that? You might have needed that pistol if you had heard a break-in instead of a phone ring. Get steel sights installed - they are a much tighter fit and are much more durable. If you like your current sight picture, Glock makes a steel (non-tritium) version of both their front and rear sights. They look just the same as the polymer ones, and the cost if very reasonable.

Last edited by GlocksterJeff; 05-05-2013 at 12:34.. Reason: spelling
GlocksterJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58   #7
billy b

sight

after i get my stock sights set i put i small amount of super glue on bottom of sight. i will still be able to be moved if needed & it"s not noticeable.
billy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:16   #8
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocksterJeff View Post
Yes the sight will be just as tight as it was before you dropped it... but how tight is that? You might have needed that pistol if you hade heard a break-in instead of a phone ring. Get steel sights installed - they are a much tighter fit and are much more durable. If you like your current sight picture, Glock makes a steel (non-tritium) version of both their front and rear sights. They look just the same as the polymer ones, and the cost if very reasonable.

Your Glock is sending you a message here. It's time for a more durable and dependable set of sights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 05-05-2013 at 09:17..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:40   #9
NBT

Not sure if you have anyone close to you (gun shop that's a Glock Distributor/armorer) that has a rear sight installation tool...(3:06 min in the below vid)
That would easily put that sight back into position.
Actually the sight is designed to be removed/installed the opposite direction. (Left to right)
That must have took an odd hit to move that sight that far, as the sight's are in there pretty tight. As stated above...you could tap the sight back into position. Secure it with a dab of "adhesive".
However...
If your thinking of upgrading to night sight's...Superglue might pose a problem later removing/installing new sight's... a dab of blue locktite (less permanent) would be my suggestion given the circumstance.
If it was my Glock, I would just do the tritium night sight's while it's out of alignment, and be done with it.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:19   #10
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Once the rear sight is moved it NEVER goes back in place AND stays there as tightly as it originally did. I find it interesting that your rear sight has slipped off to the left side rather than the right. (I think it's ruined, OK.)

It cost me $100.00 dollars to have my last rear sight - Which was held in place by, 'Red Loctite' machined off the pistol. (Three gunsmiths couldn't get it to move no matter what we tried!)

I've also found, 'Blue Loctite' to be far stronger than needed in order to hold - and keep - pistol sights in place. Nowadays I use, 'Purple Loctite'; and, so far, (two years and several thousand rounds) this relatively low strength, purple-colored Loctite has been holding up just fine.

I agree now would be a very good time for you to purchase new sights; and I find myself wondering, 'Do you keep your nightstand Glock chambered and ready-to-go?' (Probably, yes. Right!)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:46   #11
SevenSixtyTwo

Perfect opportunity for some night sights and a sight tool! Expensive but well worth the cost for the safety of you and your family as well as our struggling economy. And what's got you so jumpy?
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:07   #12
edcrosbys

You might want to look at some kind of holster system for the nightstand. If you need it, it would bite to have to go hunting for it when you knock it off again.
edcrosbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:11   #13
AZson

I would use a glue stick to push it, if your wife has one, they work well.
The best thing to do is measure the width and try and center it.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:12   #14
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Your Glock is telling you....... "I want new sights damn it!!"

Old 05-05-2013, 11:17   #15
PhotoFeller

Thanks for the video, NBT.

Is Loctite really necessary on the rear sight? My night sights were installed by Glock armorers at gun shows, and I don't recall seeing them use anything to secure the rear sight. The sight installed on my stainless G19 slide from LWD was so tight it had to be sanded a tad to get it pushed into the bevel.

If it is advisable to use Locktite on the rear, I suppose one has to stop pushing the sight just before it reaches center, put a drop in the bevel, then continue the installation.

To the OP, if you've got the spare bucks, now is an opportune time to change out the factory sights. I think the upgrade is worth the money, for a nightstand gun in particular.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:22   #16
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
®

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
To the OP, if you've got the spare bucks, now is an opportune time to change out the factory sights. I think the upgrade is worth the money, for a nightstand gun in particular.
Damn plastic sights!
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 16:38   #17
Davers

NEW Sight tim

addIMO You should def go with the Glock steele or some type of nite sights. I had some NS installed & later noticed they were off just a bit . So I went to at least 3 LGS's and none seemed to have a rear sight tool around , so I ordered the one pictured above in a post & it was a good investment tho I have ive used it 1 time it's good to know it's here if I or a buddy ever need it. sorry the title should read time.

Last edited by Davers; 05-05-2013 at 16:40.. Reason: add letter
Davers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 16:59   #18
lethal tupperwa

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh...l-sights/glock

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:04   #19
SevenSixtyTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
Interesting! Fully adjustable night sights for the AK too!
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:11   #20
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Two comments:

First, I'm VERY surprised your sight would move that much from a short drop. Makes me wonder about it.

Second, I'd use Blue Loctite. Should work well for you, and you can still move the sight if you need to later. Never use super glue on something you care about (like your gun).

Get it back in place, and use as intended....

Cheers....

(p.s. I have factory night sights on one of my three Glocks, regular ones on the other three. For close quarters combat (most likely) I'm not going to be needing any god darn sights. Longer range stuff is why we stock up on cool rifles......)

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 05-05-2013 at 17:15..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote