GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 18:01   #61
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 21,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
.... Did he advance the cause for firearm owners in general in a lasting way?

My personal opinion is that acts like this are viewed by the general public as 'showing off' at best and 'threatening' at worst. Not many will think "There is a citizen exercising his right to bear arms".
Sometimes it may help to think of actions regarding firearms as to how the other side will view the action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I am not too sure I would want the school administration, staff, etcetera, getting used to unknown/identified armed people approaching the school, without being alarmed. Especially if the school has no one armed.

....
I would hope that the administration and staff never not be alarmed at the sight of an unknown person with a gun in the school.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 19:22   #62
brokenprism
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 274
Well... he might also have said as he walked away "I brought a gun to school and nobody died."

I generally frown on the young guys who march up and down a busy street fully armed waiting for a photo op with a cop so they can make a statement, but this is different. I wish the sight of guns in schools were normalized. And it's not that they're not 'normal' -- any time a cop walks in, a gun walks in with him and no one blinks. This pic of an Israeli schoolteacher says a lot -- the left claims kids are traumatized by guns, but I don't see that here. It's really this simple: The difference between Israeli society and here is that they know where they live, and we still can't believe it. "I didn't think it could happen here..." We are experiencing an unprecedented growth in random vioelnce, and as far as I'm concerned, if you're not arming to deal with it (guy in Louisiana who got his family beat up when he pumped gas in the 'wrong' neighborhood) you're an idiot. That we who know better allow our kids to be bussed off to gun free zones every day without long, loud protests and demands for this kind of security, is a head scratcher. I'm guilty too. Don't want to rock a boat.

Carry Issues
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 19:46   #63
dpadams6
Senior Member
 
dpadams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Glock View Post
The creep that attacked me and received an 85 year sentence promised to kill me when he got free. If I have to disarm at the school, he could just lie in wait for me to come out and he would know I didn't have any way to defend myself and he could accomplish his goal. If I am legal to carry in the school, then he would know I may be able to defend myself and that may stop him from trying to kill me.
I assume you are a teacher. And I absolutely agree that teachers should in fact be allowed To carry in school. Hell, I wish the teachers where my kids go to school would carry guns. I just disagree with OPEN CARRY, ESPECIALLY IN SCHOOLS. Why anyone would choose to open carry, WHEN THEY CAN CONCEAL, is beyond me. For, the element of surprise, is everything. And certainly increases your chances of surviving a gun battle vs. Open carry where bad guy knows before hand your carrying a gun. HUGE TACTICAL ADVANTAGE. Its all just common sense.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 19:47   #64
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
®
 
OldSchool64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In The Danger Zone
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
Well...

Carry Issues
That teacher looks pregnant, maybe about 6-7 months?

Last edited by OldSchool64; 05-15-2013 at 20:23..
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 19:49   #65
dpadams6
Senior Member
 
dpadams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
Well... he might also have said as he walked away "I brought a gun to school and nobody died."

I generally frown on the young guys who march up and down a busy street fully armed waiting for a photo op with a cop so they can make a statement, but this is different. I wish the sight of guns in schools were normalized. And it's not that they're not 'normal' -- any time a cop walks in, a gun walks in with him and no one blinks. This pic of an Israeli schoolteacher says a lot -- the left claims kids are traumatized by guns, but I don't see that here. It's really this simple: The difference between Israeli society and here is that they know where they live, and we still can't believe it. "I didn't think it could happen here..." We are experiencing an unprecedented growth in random vioelnce, and as far as I'm concerned, if you're not arming to deal with it (guy in Louisiana who got his family beat up when he pumped gas in the 'wrong' neighborhood) you're an idiot. That we who know better allow our kids to be bussed off to gun free zones every day without long, loud protests and demands for this kind of security, is a head scratcher. I'm guilty too. Don't want to rock a boat.

Carry Issues
Huge difference between uniformed police walking in school with exposed gun, verse unknown person(s). And I agree, we need more people carrying guns here. Just like Lapierre said "the only thing that beats a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun "

Last edited by dpadams6; 05-15-2013 at 19:52..
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 19:57   #66
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
®
 
OldSchool64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In The Danger Zone
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
Huge difference between uniformed police walking in school with exposed gun, verse unknown person(s). And I agree, we need more people carrying guns here. Just like Lapierre said "the only thing that beats a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun "
I like that quote
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 20:41   #67
dpadams6
Senior Member
 
dpadams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,243
Yep. I thought it was good too. Sums it up well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:57   #68
PhotoFeller
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Midwest and south
Posts: 2,746
Blog Entries: 2
Sounds like civilization in the USA is eroding, slowly but surely, as we express a need to carry firearms in schools, endorse the notion of teachers routinely carrying weapons on school property (even shoulder weapons?), and promote open carry by citizens. Furthermore, we worry about deadly attack by criminals every hour of every day at home, work, in public, even at church; having a weapon is necessary on the toilet, cutting the grass changing the oil, etc.

I think the end of civilized life, as we've known it, must be near.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40   #69
Lady Glock
Senior Member
 
Lady Glock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 3,606
Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Best of luck to you Lady Glock. Keep shooting until the attacker is down for good!
Thank you so much...and that is my intent if he comes for me as promised. That's why I have trained as hard as I have with my firearm...just seeing his mugshot from 2003 when he was going before the board for the first time was so hard. I went to my pastor and asked him to help me ... he looked at the picture and handed it back and told me I was going to have to do it on my own. I don't go to that church anymore...when the pastor is unwilling to stand with a member of his church and help them through a difficult time, that's not the kind of church I am willing to attend.

I wish every school would follow the example of the school in this article...I asked my local school principal if she would grant me written permission to carry on site...she refused. So I am still in the position of being unarmed if he finds me and follows me.
__________________
This is ok, right? I'm not breaking any rules or making anyone mad at me for this comment, Right?

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:51   #70
Lady Glock
Senior Member
 
Lady Glock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 3,606
Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
I assume you are a teacher. And I absolutely agree that teachers should in fact be allowed To carry in school. Hell, I wish the teachers where my kids go to school would carry guns. I just disagree with OPEN CARRY, ESPECIALLY IN SCHOOLS. Why anyone would choose to open carry, WHEN THEY CAN CONCEAL, is beyond me. For, the element of surprise, is everything. And certainly increases your chances of surviving a gun battle vs. Open carry where bad guy knows before hand your carrying a gun. HUGE TACTICAL ADVANTAGE. Its all just common sense.
You assume incorrectly, but I do volunteer for my son's school as I am able. My son's school has a safety officer onsite...she is at the school I would say about 90% of the time. She is a county sheriff and carries in the school. I am thankful she is there, but she can't protect everyone at all times. I think teachers who are willing, office staff, janitors, counselors, nurses, everyone...should be trained and allowed to carry to protect our children.

There is a boy in my sons school who is into violence...they just read the book "The Outsiders" by S.E Hinton...they are building replicas of the characters. My son's group is doing Ponyboy, but the boy who is into violence doesn't want to be in that group because he wants to help design a replica of one who carried a weapon. I'm worried that this boy may be on the wrong track and could potentially be dangerous. Not sure what to do just yet, but I told my son to be cautious and alert around the boy...just in case! The boy already told my son he "really likes guns and knives and violence" I don't mind someone liking guns and knives, but when they say flat out that they like violence in all forms....that gets my "spidey senses" tingly
__________________
This is ok, right? I'm not breaking any rules or making anyone mad at me for this comment, Right?

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:32   #71
dpadams6
Senior Member
 
dpadams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,243
Agreed. Police can not be everywhere and protect everybody and exactly why law abiding citizens should be allowed to carry firearms. I often wonder what the outcome would have been in all the school shootings if just one school employee or parent was carrying and acted against the shooters. I bet more children would possibly be alive today if that was the case. And yes, I would be vigilant around that one child you speak of. Could be the beginning of future violence. You just never know.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 16:01   #72
Lady Glock
Senior Member
 
Lady Glock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 3,606
Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
Agreed. Police can not be everywhere and protect everybody and exactly why law abiding citizens should be allowed to carry firearms. I often wonder what the outcome would have been in all the school shootings if just one school employee or parent was carrying and acted against the shooters. I bet more children would possibly be alive today if that was the case. And yes, I would be vigilant around that one child you speak of. Could be the beginning of future violence. You just never know.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
That's my thought too...he feels dissed by my son when they were friends, he wanted my son to be his partner in a project, but another one of my son's friends had already called him as his partner. The boy got mad and now tells my son he doesn't want to be his friend anymore. I'm afraid if the boy goes off the deep end, my boy might be at the top of his hitlist.

I wanted to mention...I saw a video posted on facebook today...it was a business man who was getting robbed after he got in his car. The criminal had his gun out and ready, pointed at the business man, yet...the business man didn't get hurt, and he managed to kill the robber and the other robber ran away leaving his partner there, dead on the ground, alone. Wish I knew how to get a copy of it posted here, but it's not youtube hosted that I know of.
__________________
This is ok, right? I'm not breaking any rules or making anyone mad at me for this comment, Right?

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 16:04   #73
dpadams6
Senior Member
 
dpadams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Glock View Post
That's my thought too...he feels dissed by my son when they were friends, he wanted my son to be his partner in a project, but another one of my son's friends had already called him as his partner. The boy got mad and now tells my son he doesn't want to be his friend anymore. I'm afraid if the boy goes off the deep end, my boy might be at the top of his hitlist.

I wanted to mention...I saw a video posted on facebook today...it was a business man who was getting robbed after he got in his car. The criminal had his gun out and ready, pointed at the business man, yet...the business man didn't get hurt, and he managed to kill the robber and the other robber ran away leaving his partner there, dead on the ground, alone. Wish I knew how to get a copy of it posted here, but it's not youtube hosted that I know of.
Yes, I saw that too. He did a fantastic job and seemed to really keep calm and do what he had to do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 21:14   #74
brokenprism
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
Huge difference between uniformed police walking in school with exposed gun, verse unknown person(s). And I agree, we need more people carrying guns here. Just like Lapierre said "the only thing that beats a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun "
I know there's a difference. I'm just saying that the BS from the left -- about how kids are traumatized by the sight of a gun -- is BS, because cops carry them into schools and kids don't faint. There is no power in the gun itself to freak kids out. If I carried openly in my daughter's school, no kid would freak. It depends on what you're doing. They can tell the difference between a benign intent and something else.
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:36   #75
Lady Glock
Senior Member
 
Lady Glock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 3,606
Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenprism View Post
I know there's a difference. I'm just saying that the BS from the left -- about how kids are traumatized by the sight of a gun -- is BS, because cops carry them into schools and kids don't faint. There is no power in the gun itself to freak kids out. If I carried openly in my daughter's school, no kid would freak. It depends on what you're doing. They can tell the difference between a benign intent and something else.
I've had kids show interest in my gun when they notice I'm carrying. I get their parent's permission first and then I show it to them. I tell them "Eddie Eagles says you should 'STOP, DON'T TOUCH, LEAVE THE AREA, TELL AN ADULT', every gun is always loaded until you have verified for yourself that it is empty...so NEVER point it at anything you don't want to kill!" I drop the magazine, empty the chamber, show them that it's empty and then let them hold it, making sure to remind them to watch where they are pointing it. If at all possible, I use it as a teaching opportunity. Kids are amazing, and their brains are awesome at soaking up every little bit of information that you can throw at them...make sure you are throwing good stuff at them to remember!

I love watching kids' faces light up when you say to them "Would you like to see it? , Where is your mom/dad, I need to make sure it's ok with them first" ...and when they ask me why I'm carrying it, I answer "So I can protect my family and others...like YOU, who may be hurt by someone acting crazy"
__________________
This is ok, right? I'm not breaking any rules or making anyone mad at me for this comment, Right?

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 13:09   #76
BobPistol
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 286


# of leftists who peed in their pants.....wait, did anyone count? Or it doesn't count
BobPistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 13:13   #77
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
Wow. I did not know that.
They were going to cut back/eliminate no carry zones for Cpl, but eliminate that open carry with Cpl loophole. End result would have been concealed carry in schools.

Died on Snyders desk after latest school shooting spree.

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 13:41   #78
Longtooths
Senior Member
 
Longtooths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wylie, Texas
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via ICQ to Longtooths
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
I assume you are a teacher. And I absolutely agree that teachers should in fact be allowed To carry in school. Hell, I wish the teachers where my kids go to school would carry guns. I just disagree with OPEN CARRY, ESPECIALLY IN SCHOOLS. Why anyone would choose to open carry, WHEN THEY CAN CONCEAL, is beyond me. For, the element of surprise, is everything. And certainly increases your chances of surviving a gun battle vs. Open carry where bad guy knows before hand your carrying a gun. HUGE TACTICAL ADVANTAGE. Its all just common sense.
They say being wise is the ability to listen and understand both sides of the argument. Please allow me to help you.

1.Comfort: Would you debate that for some people it could be a more comfortable way to carry?

2.If more people open carried and it was more common place, then bad guy's would have a visual clue of where not to attack.
If all school employees were armed and showing, do you think it would get attacked by people intent on causing mass death? Or would they go to the next school where there might be people concealed carrying but they have never seen...

and finally...

3.It is their right to do so, they don't need a reason.
__________________
"In Texas...if ya' kill someone, were gonna kill ya' right back!!!"
~Ron White
Longtooths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 18:25   #79
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtooths View Post
They say being wise is the ability to listen and understand both sides of the argument. Please allow me to help you.

1.Comfort: Would you debate that for some people it could be a more comfortable way to carry?

Carrying a gun may be comforting but rarely is it "comfortable" so that doesn't wash for me.

2.If more people open carried and it was more common place, then bad guy's would have a visual clue of where not to attack.

And if the bad guy is carrying concealed he has the advantage of surprise and can see who to shoot first


If all school employees were armed and showing, do you think it would get attacked by people intent on causing mass death?

Again, the bad guys don't pay fair, they would as likely shoot the OC'ers first


Or would they go to the next school where there might be people concealed carrying but they have never seen...

If it was known that there were CCW's in all the schools that might give them pause, due to doubts as to who they might be, not exposing them as "first targets".

and finally...

3.It is their right to do so, they don't need a reason.

Maturity teaches many people that "just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it"


There are a few good reasons to OC in the right circumstances and, I for one wish that some jurisdictions would get over the asinine restrictions concerning casual exposure of a CW, but I feel no urgency to be the only person in the place OCing when some dingbat decides to surprise everyone by shooting the place up. I also don't wear a T-shirt that says "Shoot me first" with a bullseye on it. I want to "counter-surprise" the SOB.

Last edited by countrygun; 05-23-2013 at 10:42..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 18:35   #80
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 45,041
Blog Entries: 1


Cops Open Carry.
Bad guys seem to have no problem targeting/attacking them.
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:29.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,104
262 Members
842 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42