SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2013, 17:42   #141
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfect 10 View Post
Luuuve my Ruger NRA version LCP 380 w Crimson trace lazer at 25 feet i shoot a consistent 3" group. Anyone thinks this little guy is not enough for close up and personal is wrong wrong wrong. Sorry check it against 9mm yup a 9 is a little more but not enough that matters in my book. OK talk about stopping power try my G20 10 mm with that work? 40 cal? 45? 44 mag. Just remember shot placement is everything
You miss the point, you are planning for close up & personal. What happens when distance stretches a bit, even 30-40 ft?? I have always hated the mouse gun concept as a primary & not crazy about them as BUG. If you need a BUG, you need to finish whatever fight you are in right now. A 380 is really minimal unless you can get a CNS shot in & now we are talking luck w/ a mouse gun.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 17:47   #142
Clusterfrack

I'm not advocating for the .380 over other better options, but with practice it can be a good weapon. For example, using my p238 I can keep most of my shots in the A zone of a USPSA target at 20 yds, and can shoot a 3.03s 7 shot all-A zone Bill Drill at 7 yds from concealment. I can't remember what my times were on a FAST or failure to stop drill, but it wasn't bad.

(I've tried similar exercises with an LCP and a Bodyguard, and can't come close to that level of performance.)

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-08-2013 at 17:50..
Clusterfrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 17:49   #143
SevenSixtyTwo

http://catm.com/yabbfiles/Attachment...FBIAcademy.pdfAfter reading this, I've been rolling a cannon around like a wheelbarrow. Bigger is better but .380 causes and itch and .40 will blow your innards out isn't entirely accurate.

Warning. Very graphic morgue pics.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 17:53   #144
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytxrx View Post
there might be a limit on how large. I saw a fellow shooting his 2" 500 S&W at 7 yds on the pistol range. on his second shoot it blew the backer board of the trolley.

Never saw the need for a barrel under 4" on a large frame hand cannon like the .500 SW or Ruger Super Redhawk. They not only look dumb they really hurt the performance of the cartridge.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 17:56   #145
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfect 10 View Post
Luuuve my Ruger NRA version LCP 380 w Crimson trace lazer at 25 feet i shoot a consistent 3" group. Anyone thinks this little guy is not enough for close up and personal is wrong wrong wrong. Sorry check it against 9mm yup a 9 is a little more but not enough that matters in my book. OK talk about stopping power try my G20 10 mm with that work? 40 cal? 45? 44 mag. Just remember shot placement is everything
Up close I doubt I am going to even take a split second to farge around with a laser. Up close firing groups, on a moving target, is a moot point.

Using a .380 "up close" is sort of like using a .38 for bear protection. It may well kill the attacker......eventually...but neither one gives me a great deal of confidence that I will be around to see that result, which is pretty much my goal in the first place.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 18:03   #146
Clusterfrack

True enough Countrygun, but pistols in general suck at stopping people right there.
Old 05-08-2013, 18:16   #147
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
True enough Countrygun, but pistols in general suck at stopping people right there.
Exactly, hence I want as much on my side as I can get.

Some people have pointed out that pinpoint accuracy is not possible in a fluid situation and I agree, but the same issues make me leery about having the time to compensate with volume. If I only have time for a couple of shots, I am going to go with "more power" rather than less.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 20:23   #148
Teecher45

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhic View Post
if you must carry a 380 (and some just might...) look at Buffalo Bore 100gr Hard Cast lead flat nose +P ammo. 24" penetration!!! Not cheap, I believe it was $26 for 20 rounds. But it is hot! (for a 380...).
That's what mine is loaded with.
Costly, yes.
Worth it, yes.
BTW, all handguns are underpowered. My primary carry is a .45, but there are times it's the LCP or nothing, in those instances I'll take the LCP loaded with BB and extra mag, loaded with BB.
Old 05-08-2013, 21:10   #149
plp

1. I am glad I don't live in the world many of you have to deal with, doubt if I would still be here if that were the case. I applaud your survival skills, hope I never have to find out if I would be good enough to survive.

2. I can only think of one thing worse than taking another human life, losing mine because I hesitated in a survival situation and leaving my family to fend for themselves . I pray I never have to be put in that situation and I mean that sincerely.

3. I carry my S&W Bodyguard daily, in all situations other than when I have to go in a courthouse or other government facility. I'm a civilian, have no advanced training or superpowers, although I have spent 3 decades looking through crosshairs at distances sometimes exceeding a mile. I'm a fair shot with a long gun, not so much with a pistol. My weapon of choice in an SD situation would probably be my Reeboks, may get shot in the ass or soles of my shoes because this homie WILL be lowrunnin'.

4. I know from firsthand experience a .380 WILL drop a 200lb hog with a headshot and will blow a water mocassin in half. I practice weekly at 7 yards, anything further away and see Reebok reference above.

5. Thanks to all of you for this great informational resource, learn something every time I come here.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 21:20   #150
muscogee

Quote:
Ballistic not with standing, I have never found one that I liked to shoot.
Ever shot a CZ 83? Great ergonomics. Very intuitive pointer.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 00:07   #151
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Exactly, hence I want as much on my side as I can get.

Some people have pointed out that pinpoint accuracy is not possible in a fluid situation and I agree, but the same issues make me leery about having the time to compensate with volume. If I only have time for a couple of shots, I am going to go with "more power" rather than less.
This is so wise it is beyond understanding for the spray & pray crowd.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 05-09-2013, 00:09   #152
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Ever shot a CZ 83? Great ergonomics. Very intuitive pointer.
For the same size you can have several diff 9mm, better round less recoil.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:59   #153
Paul7
New Guy

Here's a story of some bad guys who didn't get the memo that a .380 is useless:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012...ld-be-robbers/

It's the same trend we see in the hunting world, where cartridges that used to be seen as quite adequate are now 'underpowered', and we have people shooting whitetail deer with a .300 Win. Mag.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:14   #154
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
For the same size you can have several diff 9mm, better round less recoil.
Why is the 9mm a better round? Why would a 9mm have less recoil?

Leona Helmsley
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13   #155
D.B.Cooper

9mm=9x19
9mm Makarov=9x18
.380=9x17
D.B.Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:18   #156
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B.Cooper View Post
9mm=9x19
9mm Makarov=9x18
.380=9x17
True. It's amazing how hung up people get over minuscule differences.

Leona Helmsley
Old 05-09-2013, 08:19   #157
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Why would a 9mm have less recoil?
The .380s are usually blowback operated.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:55   #158
Clusterfrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
The .380s are usually blowback operated.
There are a number of good locked breech .380s, including the Sig p238. Felt recoil is mild with standard power loads, but noticeably stronger with +P like the BB 100 grainers. Because the gun is so small, it's hard to compare it to--for example--a G26, but I would say it's similar in recoil.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-09-2013 at 08:56..
Clusterfrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17   #159
rustytxrx

Iwas present and watched as two .380 were bounced off the skull of a pig in a trap. I tried to explain that it was not a good idea with a .380. The shooter assured me he had confidence.

The shooter was using all the posts he had seen about the effectiveness of the .380 from the Internet. Guess what....Do you have any idea of the thickness of a 150# pigs skull.

Let me enlighten you

Caliber Corner

In the video posted above the good guy scared the BGs off which is a little different.

I understand why you would carry a .380 as back up. HERE is the question to answer........if you were going to a gun fight, would a .380 be your choice?

BTW......don't even ever think of hunting 150# pig with a .380. I think a shot behind the ear might get to the brain with a .380, the .22 does a good job. The .22 does not have near the frontal area of the .355 (or what ever the .380 is)

Last edited by rustytxrx; 05-09-2013 at 09:25..
rustytxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:45   #160
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Iwas present and watched as two .380 were bounced off the skull of a pig in a trap. I tried to explain that it was not a good idea with a .380. The shooter assured me he had confidence.

The shooter was using all the posts he had seen about the effectiveness of the .380 from the Internet. Guess what....Do you have any idea of the thickness of a 150# pigs skull.

Let me enlighten you

In the video posted above the good guy scared the BGs off which is a little different.

I understand why you would carry a .380 as back up. HERE is the question to answer........if you were going to a gun fight, would a .380 be your choice?

BTW......don't even ever think of hunting 150# pig with a .380. I think a shot behind the ear might get to the brain with a .380, the .22 does a good job. The .22 does not have near the frontal area of the .355 (or what ever the .380 is)
Well, I guess it's a good thing that I don't have to worry about shooting a 150# pig in the skull, while attending a dinner party with my .380 in my front pocket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote