Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-05-2013, 20:37   #81
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg17 View Post
That was just one example.
And it is a poor example/not an apt analogy, as I explained.

Quote:
No I don't wear a helmet in my car.
That's not what I asked. I asked if you had ever worn a helmet in a car.

Quote:
When I was younger very few states even had concealed carry and we survived just fine.
What was the murder rate then compared to now, nationally?

People "survived just fine" before a lot of things, you know. After all, we are still here as a species. Doesn't mean I'm about to go without toilet paper, just because for 99.x% of human history people survived just fine without it.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 21:10   #82
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
...What was the murder rate then compared to now, nationally?...

Here's a fascinating theory and one I personally subscribe to:

http://scholar.harvard.edu/barro/fil...imerate_bw.pdf
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 21:31   #83
countrygun

Quote:
, When I was younger very few states even had concealed carry and we survived just fine. I'm glad we have it now but I'm still not afraid to leave my house without a gun.
Before the laws there were none against concealed carry, and some places had easy access to permits and some paces you couldn't buy guns at all, and on and on.

Rather simplistic to say that "we survived". Yes people do survive without modern medicine until they die. .People survive without seat bets and airbags until they come to a sudden and unexpected stop.

If you have convinced yourself that you live in some crime free paradise, or you have convinced yourself about some statistical odds and you are willing to bet your life on them, fly to it. But delusion or gambling on the odds is by no means a reason to feel smug.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 21:32   #84
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Here's a fascinating theory and one I personally subscribe to:

http://scholar.harvard.edu/barro/fil...imerate_bw.pdf
I am familiar with that. I believe it likely played a role.

I believe this also played a role:

Caliber Corner

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 05-05-2013, 21:49   #85
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
MY God don't ya get it ? .380 and below are not for SD ! Have none of you been in a real gun fight ? Have none of you ever been in bar brawls, or 'battle field', or bad news situuations?

This is a stupid discussion ! period ! A forum internet armchair bunch of BS....

CanyonMan
I'm guessing that 95+% of folks here have never been in a gunfight of any kind. And, in reality, we won't ever need a gun to survive...10mm, .45 or anything else. The vast gunfighting experience you claim to have is a very rare exception.

If I ever really expected to be faced with a deadly attack, like the world you apparently live in, I'd be packin' the biggest, finest, most reliable hardware money could buy. Nothing would be too expensive. I'd be well trained. I'd dress with whatever is necessary to cover my big, first-class piece. I'd be a hard-assed pistolero, looking for a safer place to live. Instead, I am a realistic guy living in a relatively safe environment. When I go out for a long bike ride, carrying a .380 isn't a risky compromise; its having some insurance against a highly unlikely SD situation.

There's a huge difference between my reality and yours. In your world, .380 is a joke. In mine, .380 provides a convenient firearm for protection against an unlikely attack.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 05-05-2013 at 21:55..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 22:29   #86
fg17

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Before the laws there were none against concealed carry, and some places had easy access to permits and some paces you couldn't buy guns at all, and on and on.

Rather simplistic to say that "we survived". Yes people do survive without modern medicine until they die. .People survive without seat bets and airbags until they come to a sudden and unexpected stop.

If you have convinced yourself that you live in some crime free paradise, or you have convinced yourself about some statistical odds and you are willing to bet your life on them, fly to it. But delusion or gambling on the odds is by no means a reason to feel smug.
I'm not 100% convinced on anything, nothing worse than people that are. Tell you what PM me the next time your in a gun fight and maybe you will change my mind.
fg17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 22:34   #87
fg17

Quote:
And it is a poor example/not an apt analogy, as I explained.

That's not what I asked. I asked if you had ever worn a helmet in a car.

What was the murder rate then compared to now, nationally?

People "survived just fine" before a lot of things, you know. After all, we are still here as a species. Doesn't mean I'm about to go without toilet paper, just because for 99.x% of human history people survived just fine without it.
No never in my car. same goes for you pm me the next time your in a gunfight or anyone you personally know is and maybe I will change my mind. Also I still have some faith in the .380

Last edited by fg17; 05-05-2013 at 22:36..
Old 05-05-2013, 22:35   #88
NavyMSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmonte67 View Post
Caliber Corner Caliber Corner I could actually fit my Sub2000 40 Cal. in my golf bag- it folds to 16"
What is your optic setup, such that it flips to the side when folding?

I've always wanted a sub2k but the stock sights left alot to be desired.

As well, the price skyrocketed to 2x or 3x just as I became aware of them. One day that will be my trunk/backpack backup!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NavyMSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 22:38   #89
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post
What is your optic setup, such that it flips to the side when folding?

I've always wanted a sub2k but the stock sights left alot to be desired.

As well, the price skyrocketed to 2x or 3x just as I became aware of them. One day that will be my trunk/backpack backup!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I don't think it flips.. It just detaches and mounts on the side rail when folded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 22:49   #90
NavyMSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
I don't think it flips.. It just detaches and mounts on the side rail when folded.
If that's the case, on such a cheap gun (cheap but rather smart), I suspect you'd lose zero each time you disconnected to fold.

Last edited by NavyMSU; 05-05-2013 at 22:50..
NavyMSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 23:02   #91
countrygun

Quote:
I'm not 100% convinced on anything, nothing worse than people that are. Tell you what PM me the next time your in a gun fight and maybe you will change my mind.
Tell you what Sport,

Do a search. "State of Oregon Death Row" Look for, "Gregory Alan (Allen?) Bowen"

I was one of 12 people that sentenced him to death. Read about his crime and the nice man he murdered, who was at home and unarmed. in a nice remote neighborhood. And he was just one of the meth fueled murder trials on the docket at the time.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 23:07   #92
Delmonte67
Glock 40 cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
No detaching necessary, Red Lion Precision makes an aftermarket rail that rotates so the optic turns to the side and still locks. My setup is almost identical to the one in the first vid, I used his vid as a model to upgrade mine pretty much. The second vid is actually my younger brother shooting mine at the range. Cool little carbine

Last edited by Delmonte67; 05-05-2013 at 23:24..
Delmonte67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 23:42   #93
fg17

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Tell you what Sport,

Do a search. "State of Oregon Death Row" Look for, "Gregory Alan (Allen?) Bowen"

I was one of 12 people that sentenced him to death. Read about his crime and the nice man he murdered, who was at home and unarmed. in a nice remote neighborhood. And he was just one of the meth fueled murder trials on the docket at the time.
I have never called you names. You have called me delusional, smug and now sport. No need to get so mad.
To everyone else I stand by everthing I have said, just my opinion. I did make the mistake of getting off topic and should have just pointed out the PROS an CONS of the .380 and for that I'm sorry.

Last edited by fg17; 05-05-2013 at 23:49..
Old 05-06-2013, 00:26   #94
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
I am familiar with that. I believe it likely played a role.

I believe this also played a role:

Caliber Corner

I agree. I remember when it was almost impossible for a citizen to get a CCW short of being the mayor's bankroller. Ironically, the move away from sidearms came first in the Old West in the late 19th century as many there thought that it had become "civilized" and therefore no need for them as when the Frontier was wild. It took the country approx. a hundred years to "rediscover" that mankind hasn't changed.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:54   #95
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I'm confused. So why not front pocket carry the J Frame? ...

... My only fear is that many are basing their decision on not what will work best for them, but rather what they feel will work best for them based upon a personal theory they have never tested and tempered with lots of perhaps misplaced faith in that they will never need to fire a shot in defense of life or in their ability alone to use proper shot placement to extricate themselves from a sticky situation.

... As for me, I've lived long enough to realize that I am a piss poor gambler and also that no scenario in life plays out like I want it to.
I don't particularly disagree on any point.

Not all of my front pants pockets will accommodate my J's. (No spandex, either. ) Sure, I could change pants, only buying & wearing those with larger pockets, but when it comes down to it, I no longer feel the need to dress around a weapon all the time anymore.

Having worked as an instructor with both LE and lawfully armed CCW-type folks, I have little doubt but that a significant number of them do indeed base their choices on what they feel and hope will work for them, and that they could make better choices in one way or another.

My own thoughts and opinions have been, like many of us, shaped and influenced by my past experiences, as well as my training. They've evolved over time and experience (including having been privy to the unfortunate experiences of others).

I learned many years ago that I'm not much of a gambler, either, myself.

On the other hand, after more than 40 years of martial arts involvement and seeing what happens when people do bad things to each other (on & off the field), I've come to look at things with what I feel is a balanced proportion of risk assessment ... for me. Not an easy decision, nor one especially quickly made.

I may not belt on one of my .44 Magnum revolvers as a retirement CCW (which I did as an off-duty weapon as a younger cop, and I knew any number of guys who carried them on-duty back then), or even one of my 6-shot .357's or .45's as often as I used to do, but I will still carry one of my larger pistols frequently enough upon occasion.

The J's - and now the LCP - are for those times when I simply don't want to carry a larger weapon, or I don't plan to be engaged in activities in higher threat locations, but still feel it prudent to be armed.

Just as importantly, however, is that I work to keep my skills sharp with those diminutive handguns. They aren't pocket jewelry or a lucky Rabbit's Foot to me.

Obviously, I wouldn't carry either as a primary weapon if I were still actively working, but I'd carry one or the other as a secondary/backup weapon ... and I'm not adverse to using either of them in the role of a retirement CCW weapon, in many instances.

I suppose that I just look at some things differently at 60 than I did at 30. Not sure how I'll think about it in another 10, 20 or more years, either.

How about this other thread? http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1484961
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 05-06-2013 at 12:17..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:37   #96
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmonte67 View Post
No detaching necessary, Red Lion Precision makes an aftermarket rail that rotates so the optic turns to the side and still locks. My setup is almost identical to the one in the first vid, I used his vid as a model to upgrade mine pretty much. The second vid is actually my younger brother shooting mine at the range. Cool little carbine
Wow! That is as awesome as it gets!! I didn't know they made such a thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 14:03   #97
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
No never in my car. same goes for you pm me the next time your in a gunfight or anyone you personally know is and maybe I will change my mind. Also I still have some faith in the .380
So you have won gunfights with your .380?

Let's hear about it!

Old 05-06-2013, 15:04   #98
eb07
Sharkin'

The 380 debate always causes this much argument but we now have a bonafide .380 gunfighter on the board.

BTW.... is this you? This guy won with a 380

Last edited by eb07; 05-06-2013 at 15:05..
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 15:09   #99
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fortunately for that guy he could have won with blanks.

That is not uncommon, though.

Old 05-06-2013, 15:22   #100
fg17

Quote:
So you have won gunfights with your .380?

Let's hear about it!
No, never said I did. Surprised I haven't with the big bad world being so dangerous and crazy. I did have to shoot a vicious german shepard that tried to attack me while I was running once. Worked out quite nicely

Last edited by fg17; 05-06-2013 at 15:30..