SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-09-2013, 13:08   #181
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytxrx View Post
I think that 2700+ ftlb might be adequate carry round.
And if not, as long as I am within 5 feet, the muzzle flash will cause second degree burns and blindless. Worst case scenario, it can also second as a pretty useful club if I can't stop my threat in the measly 5 rounds it holds. Can't beat that any way you look at it.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 13:33   #182
rustytxrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
And if not, as long as I am within 5 feet, the muzzle flash will cause second degree burns and blindless. Worst case scenario, it can also second as a pretty useful club if I can't stop my threat in the measly 5 rounds it holds. Can't beat that any way you look at it.
I have a S&W 329 PD that I shoot BB Heavy 44 special 255 gr Keith style rounds at 1000 fps. I don't use it for carry much. I shoot it double action (had S&W work the double action over).

I have not shoot any full bore 44 mag out of it. I think it might not be a lot of fun. I have shoot a 2" 500 s&w. one time was plenty
Old 05-09-2013, 13:56   #183
Roger1079

Quote:
I have a S&W 329 PD that I shoot BB Heavy 44 special 255 gr Keith style rounds at 1000 fps. I don't use it for carry much. I shoot it double action (had S&W work the double action over).

I have not shoot any full bore 44 mag out of it. I think it might not be a lot of fun. I have shoot a 2" 500 s&w. one time was plenty
The one I have is the 4" ported barrel version. After 10 rounds or so my hand is numb. It is 5 years old and has maybe 100 rounds through it. I picked it up at a bargain from a buddy that shot it twice and wanted nothing to do with it after that. I normally now only take it out at the range if I have someone irritating in a lane next to me. Normally after the first trigger pull they ask to be moved.
Old 05-09-2013, 13:56   #184
Green Mountain Boy

I own an LCP for the very few times when I cannot get away with anything else. I pocket carry it in suit pants when I wear a 3 piece. I tend to take the jacket off after a while and that would negate carrying most anything else. The 642 prints in the pocket of those suit pants.

On those days I can have an LCP in the pocket and a mag in the other pocket. This gives me 13 round load out and I can empty the thing into the a zone out of the pocket in a real hurry.

I carry hornady Critical Defense and honestly it shows favorably in gel tests.

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 13:56   #185
countrygun

I have a rather simple yardstick for a general EDC caliber. I have hunted with a handgun off and on since the first year it was legal in my State. Simply put If I wouldn't trust a round to kill a deer with one shot. in the heart area, at 50 yards why would I trust it to stop an armed attacker before he stopped me?

And no, I do not mean a .44 magnum. I have used the .357 for instance and under good circumstances, and serious need, would trust even the 9mm or a .38 special with a good bullet at 50 yards (our deer are not big, hence they make a good yardstick)

No I wouldn't use anything less than a 9mm/.38

countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 13:59   #186
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
well now we are getting somewhere. the 243 has 2000 ftlb of muzzle energy is ok to use on a 150# pig but all you need is 238 ftlb from a .380 for self defense on 150# bad guy?

I don't get it?
A wild pig and a man are two different things. I was on a hog hunt last fall and saw a really big pig that took two rounds to the head with a .308 and still lived. Know any men no matter how big that can do that?
Old 05-09-2013, 14:26   #187
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
I think that 2700+ ftlb might be adequate carry round.
That sounds like a big centerfire cartridge/firearm.
Old 05-09-2013, 14:39   #188
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
So along the same thought lines:
22mag & 223, same thing right, close enough right?
Or how about 30 carbine, 30-30 & 30-06, same same right?
It's obviously a carry what you want, but really, the 380 is marginal at best, really, not adequate but marginal. I try to avoid marginal in any piece of equip, but one used to protect my life or the life of my family, marginal just doesn't seem appropriate.
I remember when people like you were saying that adopting the 5.56 was a disaster. Then they said the same thing when we went form the 45 ACP to the 9mm Luger. Those people were wrong on both counts because people aren't that hard to kill. Their skin and skulls are somewhat thinner than a hog's.

Civilians normally don't need the kind of firepower law enforcement does because law enforcement walks the line between defensive shooting and offensive shooting. Civilians seldom need to shoot through barricades or car doors. They seldom need to shoot great distances.

A .380 may not penetrate shoulder to shoulder, and it would not be choice for long range hand gunning. However, it should work fine in most confrontations at at distances that could be considered self defense. It wouldn't be adequate taking on an SKS across a shopping mall, but then most handguns wouldn't be either.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 14:51   #189
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
I remember when people like you were saying that adopting the 5.56 was a disaster. Then they said the same thing when we went form the 45 ACP to the 9mm Luger. Those people were wrong on both counts because people aren't that hard to kill. Their skin and skulls are somewhat thinner than a hog's.

Civilians normally don't need the kind of firepower law enforcement does because law enforcement walks the line between defensive shooting and offensive shooting. Civilians seldom need to shoot through barricades or car doors. They seldom need to shoot great distances.

A .380 may not penetrate shoulder to shoulder, and it would not be choice for long range hand gunning. However, it should work fine in most confrontations at at distances that could be considered self defense. It wouldn't be adequate taking on an SKS across a shopping mall, but then most handguns wouldn't be either.
It isn't about killing.

The majority of ammo available in 5.56 is not used in combat by the military due to lack of consistent effectiveness. And, oh, it's still a RIFLE round out of a rifle. Rifles are rifles. Pistols are pistols.

Skull thickness? Most of us aren't elite operators who count on getting headshots when our lives are on the line.

Just some things to consider.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 14:57   #190
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
It isn't about killing.

The majority of ammo available in 5.56 is not used in combat by the military due to lack of consistent effectiveness. And, oh, it's still a RIFLE round out of a rifle. Rifles are rifles. Pistols are pistols.

Skull thickness? Most of us aren't elite operators who count on getting headshots when our lives are on the line.

Just some things to consider.
I'll aim for the head for my third shot.
Old 05-09-2013, 15:06   #191
fredj338

Quote:
I see it opposite. A LEO wears a uniform, has access to a long gun, has a duty size gun, BUG, lots of spare ammo, vest, radio, backup, pretty good shape if they get in over their head. Now CCW, exactly the opp. No vest, no likely BUG, less spare ammo, no radio or backup. If you are a CCW & need a handgun you probably need it worse than the LEO at that exact moment. Ending the fight as soon as possible may be the only way you survive. A single LEO may be able to hold out for his 3-4min backup, the CCW will be dead as soon as he runs out of his pocket gun ammo.
Again, free country, but there are so few reasons to carry a 380 in todays market of micro 9mm & not much bigger 40s & 357sigs. Even in a suit, proper tuckable IWB holster, something like a P239 is easily hidden w/ just a tucked shirt, spare mag in a pocket holster. You are more likely to shoot such a rig better than a mousegun. Again, try it out at your local IDPA & you'll quickly learn the deficiencies of your choice. Use an IWB holster & load form your pocket, let me know how you do.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-09-2013 at 15:09..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 15:19   #192
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I see it opposite. A LEO wears a uniform, has access to a long gun, has a duty size gun, BUG, lots of spare ammo, vest, radio, backup, pretty good shape if they get in over their head. Now CCW, exactly the opp. No vest, no likely BUG, less spare ammo, no radio or backup. If you are a CCW & need a handgun you probably need it worse than the LEO at that exact moment. Ending the fight as soon as possible may be the only way you survive. A single LEO may be able to hold out for his 3-4min backup, the CCW will be dead as soon as he runs out of his pocket gun ammo.
Again, free country, but there are so few reasons to carry a 380 in todays market of micro 9mm & not much bigger 40s & 357sigs. Even in a suit, proper tuckable IWB holster, something like a P239 is easily hidden w/ just a tucked shirt, spare mag in a pocket holster. You are more likely to shoot such a rig better than a mousegun. Again, try it out at your local IDPA & you'll quickly learn the deficiencies of your choice. Use an IWB holster & load form your pocket, let me know how you do.
I agree.

I never understand it when the gun grabbers say that we don't 'need' standard capacity magazines, spare magazines, more than one gun, etc etc, but the police do. Wait, what? Often the police are involved because the criminals victimized private citizens, and the police will have all those things you listed...how does the private citizen with none of those things, and a much more complex and difficult method of calling for help, need so much less?

It makes no sense

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 15:46   #193
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

I bought a P3AT for carry when (and if) I couldn't carry anything bigger., and also for possible back-up duty. It's a neat little pistol, especially with an Arma Laser. But as far as stopping power goes... I'm not comfortable with anything less than a 9mm.

At this point I still haven't carried the .380 and don't know if I ever will, but it's there just in case.
OldSchool64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 16:04   #194
countrygun

Quote:

So much wrong and only so much bandwidth.

The 5.56 vs 7.62 debate has absolutely no bearing on this topic.

"People like you" is a derogatory broad brush.

"Killing" isn't the purpose of a self defense handgun. You are comparing a fight to slaughtering/executing and animal. different circumstances and purpose.

It is not terribly intelligent to take the tact of telling people that they don't NEED some type of firearm, no, not bright at all.

If they want it and they know they don't have any backup and that concerns them they have a right to carry what meets their concerns.

"Seldom need" is not a basis for not having a capability.

"should be" ???? You are kidding me. Use the minimum is not really a viable strategy and you will be in real trouble if your opponent doesn't agree with your conclusion.

A post heavily burdened by the weight of its own fail.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 16:12   #195
Clusterfrack

In the right hands even a .22 can be a very effective weapon. http://www.tactical-life.com/tactica...mossad-22-lrs/

My first handgun instructor was an Israeli who carried a Beretta 70. He would have taken first place at many of the IDPA matches I have shot.

I carry a G19 or 26 most of the time. I wonder if my old instructor would be disappointed?
Old 05-09-2013, 16:22   #196
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
That sounds like a big centerfire cartridge/firearm.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368138100.019183.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	233222

It is the S&W 500 Magnum. This is it next to a full size 1911. The round next to it is a .45ACP. Just to put the size into a bit more perspective, the revolver weighs 3.5 pounds empty.

Last edited by Roger1079; 05-09-2013 at 16:33..
Old 05-09-2013, 16:41   #197
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
In the right hands even a .22 can be a very effective weapon. http://www.tactical-life.com/tactica...mossad-22-lrs/

My first handgun instructor was an Israeli who carried a Beretta 70. He would have taken first place at many of the IDPA matches I have shot.

I carry a G19 or 26 most of the time. I wonder if my old instructor would be disappointed?
If you shoot Master level you too can get by with a 22lr or mousegun, maybe. It's a choice. if carrying & mousegun as primary, you better be practicing, a lot. If you can't deliver exactly the same level of shooting as your normal ccw, then it will likely fail you, just facts man. I think any gun gives some comfort, but if you knew you were likely to get into a gunfight, only had a handgun available to you, would you choose the mousegun? SOme how I doubt it.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 16:51   #198
Roger1079

Quote:

In the right hands, ANY caliber can be lethal. I understand the argument of the people here posting that the .380 is just not good enough for a primary carry pistol. Factor in that most people are not capable of winning competitions however I gaurantee almost all can hit a target from a normal distance that would be used in a self defense situation. With stress, your aim will likely be pretty piss poor and you will likely also not be aiming down the sights depending on the scenario. Taking these things into consideration, a larger and more powerful caliber is much more likely to stop the threat than a .380.

Take for instance the officers on video that killed the guy on a NYC street after he shot someone a while back. Under duress, even the ones trained among us to deal with these situations have diminished capacities. That is not a bash against officers in any way either, just the first example that came to mind when trying to demonstrate diminshed aiming ability in a stressful and adrenaline filled situation.

On a side note, my LCP is my only choice for concealment with some of my attire and I doubt anyone here can argue that something is better than nothing. Would I be carrying my G19? Absolutely. Will I carry my LCP if it is my only viable option? Again, absolutely.

Last edited by Roger1079; 05-09-2013 at 16:54..
Old 05-09-2013, 16:56   #199
jtull7
Pistolero

My EDC is a Wilson Combat Professional .45. Is that manly enough for you .380 haters?

Every now and then I carry my Walther German PPK/S with Hydro-Shoks in it. I do not feel undergunned. Shot placement is all.

I also carry sometimes my S&W Model 60. I still do not feel undergunned. If you cannot take care of the situation with five rounds, you are going to lose anyway.

I also think that the posters in this thread that call the .380 a sissy gun and a girly gun most likely have manhood problems. There is no call for that kind of hate. It's just one of many calibers.

And, lastly, I just love the posters who talk of getting in a gunfight. If one is not a cop, the chances of getting a gunfight are so slim as to be laughable.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 16:59   #200
fg17

Quote:

Thanks for the link. interesting history. I always new the mossad used .22s for assasinations but did not now they actually used them in full on gun battles
fg17 is offline   Reply With Quote