Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:17   #1
tenforme

Red Neck Gun Control - Serious food for thought

I was working my way through 100 rounds of Underwood's finest 10mm with my G20 on Friday, when an ejected case bounced off the top of my booth and got wedged between my shirt collar and my neck. I got two big 3rd degree burns off it before I could get it out.

So yes I said it - I'm a red neck!!

This is the 2nd time its happened at this range and both times have been with the same ammo and barrel combination (Underwood 165 TMJ, 6" barrel and 22lb spring).

The first time I assumed it was a fluke and I was wearing a pretty loose fitting T shirt, so got the casing out PDQ.

However, this time I took care to wear a collar and buttoned it up tight, supposedly learning from the last time. Of course this only made things worse.

This particular casing still got in there but this time was stuck firmly in place by my tight collar - so I got burned a lot worse.

Now for the deadly serious part. Despite all my training, I found myself jumping around like an idiot, trying to get a hot casing out of my collar while holding a loaded and chambered gun in my hand. I am still, 2 days later, shaken to my core by this and deeply embarrassed.

Somewhere in my dance, I placed the weapon on the ground barrel facing the wall behind me and focused on the hot casing. So yes I had swept 1/2 of the range with a loaded weapon The only "good" thing was that my finger was out of the trigger guard.

Weirdly - my first reaction on feeling the burn, was to stay on the target trying to ignore the burning - telling myself that "this could happen in a real live-fire encounter, so I should tough it out". Pretty stupid in retrospect because of course the burning quickly got to the point that my autonomic system kicked in and over ruled my conscious actions.

This is the worrying part - keeping full control of your weapon while being branded in the neck by a hot casing is pretty challenging and not something you want to train for.

I am pretty sure that one key reason this did not end far worse than it did - was because I generally train "single sot - finger out of the trigger guard" rather than "reset". At the time I was practicing slow single shots. I am shaken to my core by what might have happened if I had been "reset" shooting at the time.
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:30   #2
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

3rd degree burns?
It burned through 3 layers of skin? And there was charred skin?

I had someone else's 40 S&W case go down the back of my shirt.
the range officer was highly amused at my dance, while keeping my pistol pointed down range......

Last edited by DustyJacket; 06-16-2013 at 10:31..
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:53   #3
tenforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
3rd degree burns?

Deep 2nd degree to 3rd degree but no charred skin - that would be a 4th degree burn.

The case was in there for several seconds and had cooled by the time I got it out - so yes it dumped a lot of heat into the wound.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:54   #4
kendric98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
3rd degree burns?

I had someone else's 40 S&W case go down the back of my shirt.
the range officer was highly amused at my dance, while keeping my pistol pointed down range......
I think he means second.
kendric98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:57   #5
skyboss_4evr

I've had 3rd degree burns. I assure you, hot brass did not cause you 3rd degree burns.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:14   #6
tenforme

Way to completely miss the point guys

I'm making a point about the nee to control your weapon in a surprise scenario - and in 1 post it degenerates into debate about the definitions of burn.

Here are the definitions that I use:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn

My wife tells me that the mess on my neck looks like 2nd and 3rd but if it helps to unbunch panties and get back to the point I'd be happy to pretend that it was just a bee sting
Old 06-16-2013, 11:23   #7
rhino673

Lol! Funny story. It's even funnier at the sense of humor that is lacking in most of the glocktalkers on here.
I have done the "Hot Brass" dance a few times myself. Not much fun.
rhino673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:32   #8
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:23   #9
Firecop203

You have to maintain the same discipline that the guy in that video did. He danced around, skipped, used his right hand to remove the brass and NEVER lost control of the timer in his left hand.
“Neither cold, nor darkness will deter good people from hastening to the dreadful place to quench the flame. They do it not for the sake of reward or fame; but they have a reward in themselves, and they love one another.”
Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Firecop203; 06-16-2013 at 15:18..
Firecop203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:24   #10
glock2740
Gun lover.

I once a piece of brass land inside my safety glasses and my cheek. The glasses were fitted just fine, it was just a freak perfect landing. Left a burn mark, as I had to safely put the gun down and remove my glasses to get it out. Sucked!
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:29   #11
skyboss_4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino673 View Post
Lol! Funny story. It's even funnier at the sense of humor that is lacking in most of the glocktalkers on here.
I have done the "Hot Brass" dance a few times myself. Not much fun.
My sense of humor is good to go... I just find it odd at how overblown "hot brass" stories can be. When I catch hot brass, I suck it up and don't bother with the annoying little pain til it's time for a mag change.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:40   #12
ProbieG
Future Hoser

You don't feel 3rd degree burns, the skin has been burned so severely that the nerve endings are cooked. But to add to the thread, I have never had hot brass fall down my shirt or anything. I have however been hit by a ricochet at an indoor range, the guy two lanes down shot the ceiling, it hit off the ceiling into the backstop, off the floor and struck me in the chest. It didn't penetrate but it left a nasty bruise.
ProbieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:51   #13
blastfact

Brass burns just go hand in hand concerning semi-auto pistol shooting.

My outdoor public range I shoot at has a cover over the shooting area. And the brass can get you. The worse I've ever got was a blister from hot brass. There are no dividers btween the shooting lanes. So everybody gets a chance at be hit with hot brass. Doesn't seem to bother us rednecks much.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:58   #14
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendric98 View Post
I think he means second.
Dude, didn't you hear him say Underwood 10MM? That stuff is like fire and brimstone, mate. Speaking of burns you should see what it does to the BG, worse than Richard Pryor free-basing. Makes BG ID easier though when they look like they were under a space shuttle launch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 14:20   #15
darkenfast

Tenforme. thank you for your honesty and for the real point of your post (which isn't what kind of burn you got).
darkenfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 14:35   #16
vettely

In 20+ years of qualifications and various training on our range I've had the pleasure of 9mm, .40 and .45 brass in my clothing with the most fun being .223...yee ouch.

Last edited by vettely; 06-16-2013 at 15:04..
vettely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 14:51   #17
Gombey

I caught some .40 S&W the other day. Placed my gun on the bench in front of me, barrel pointing down range and fished it out.

Saw what a Drill Sargent did to one of my fellow recruits when he forgot muzzle discipline. Heard what one of my TAC officers did to a recruit at the academy when he forgot.

I don't think I'll ever sweep anyone...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Gombey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 15:03   #18
ProbieG
Future Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gombey View Post
I caught some .40 S&W the other day. Placed my gun on the bench in front of me, barrel pointing down range and fished it out.

Saw what a Drill Sargent did to one of my fellow recruits when he forgot muzzle discipline. Heard what one of my TAC officers did to a recruit at the academy when he forgot.

I'm curious as to what happened to them.
ProbieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 15:30   #19
tenforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gombey View Post

I was pretty sure that I would never sweep anyone - and then I did

It was a real wake up call and I am still very disturbed by it.
Old 06-16-2013, 15:55   #20
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
Dude, didn't you hear him say Underwood 10MM? That stuff is like fire and brimstone, mate. Speaking of burns you should see what it does to the BG, worse than Richard Pryor free-basing. Makes BG ID easier though when they look like they were under a space shuttle launch.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote