SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-30-2013, 23:12   #61
N4LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilrus61 View Post
My folks didn't drink. I've never been drunk. I can count on my hand the times I've drank. I don't like the taste. Beer tastes like horse piss. Wine taste like rotten grape juice. Sake tastes like turpentine. Whisky tastes like nyquil. I don't see how the first guy ever drank enough to get drunk unless he was dying of thirst or something.
The taste of alcohol is like anything else that you don't instantly like the flavor of, drink or eat enough of it and often you'll develop an appreciation for it over time. When I was a kid I didn't like onions, peppers, oysters, whiskey, wine, beer and probably a hundred other things that weren't just sweet or salty. I still don't care for beer or bell peppers, but the rest of them I like just fine these days. If I only stuck with food or drink I liked from the first, my diet would be very, very boring.

And whiskey doesn't taste like Nyquil at all. If anything Nyquil tastes like some type of bad liqueur. I'm not sure if there is a good liqueur though, so I may be biased.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:14   #62
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer01 View Post
Someone doesn't want to drink, that's their own choice and I completely respect that, BUT like I said, if they choose to shake a finger at people about it or try to guilt trip them with family/friend horror stories....
Brother...no matter what choice you make...about anything, there is someone against it.

like I have said here many times, if a snake was eating a baby, someone would be on the snakes side.

As long as we are free to give those forces the finger...let it go.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:14   #63
BEER
bad example

the fact that i've been mentioned by name directly in this thread really brings it home for me. of all the threads, of all the opinions, of all the things i've stated on this website over the years, the fact that my quitting is what brings me up in conversation is what really and truly gives me perspective.

now i have a reason to try harder to be remembered for more.
Old 04-30-2013, 23:16   #64
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
the fact that i've been mentioned by name directly in this thread really brings it home for me. of all the threads, of all the opinions, of all the things i've stated on this website over the years, the fact that my quitting is what brings me up in conversation is what really and truly gives me perspective.

now i have a reason to try harder to be remembered for more.
To be fair, bud, your username makes it a lot more memorable. I doubt it would stick in most people's minds if your username was glockerjohn14 or something.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:16   #65
FloridaGun
-> 10mm <-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
thanks growing up in an ultra conservative Christian family.
Lol, guess I ought to go shoot up some drugs, get some tatts and a bottle of Jack. Then we could relate more.

Or, Not.

-FloridaGlockers #500 -Kalashnikov Klub #51

GOA and NRA Lifetime Member
FloridaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:16   #66
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Brother...no matter what choice you make...about anything, there is someone against it.

like I have said here many times, if a snake was eating a baby, someone would be on the snakes side.

As long as we are free to give those forces the finger...let it go.
Well, there's a few of us on here who are pretty partial to snakes
For the last time
Old 04-30-2013, 23:17   #67
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
®

We haven't forgotten you BEER, maybe we never will.
OldSchool64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:20   #68
BEER
bad example

Quote:
To be fair, bud, your username makes it a lot more memorable. I doubt it would stick in most people's minds if your username was glockerjohn14 or something.
i've thought long and hard about changing it, but then i'd have to remember a whole new username and password, and i'd feel like some sort of wuss for dropping my name, almost like i was trying to hide my past.

i am who i am and i've done what i've done. good or bad i am known by my name and by my word.
Old 04-30-2013, 23:21   #69
boxer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGun View Post
Lol, guess I ought to go shoot up some drugs, get some tatts and a bottle of Jack. Then we could relate more.

Or, Not.
Or you could hop off your delusional pedestal and realize you're no more holier then ANYONE else.
boxer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:23   #70
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

i grew up in a family of very religous liberals.....now im the opposite of both.
Old 04-30-2013, 23:24   #71
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Quote:
Well, there's a few of us on here who are pretty partial to snakes
^^^^^ loves the trouser snakes, thats what he really meant!
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:30   #72
BigDeeeeeeee

I drank pretty heavily till about a year and a half ago. I gave it up for health reasons( middle age, over weight, a couple years into non insulin diabetes drugs). Once a year at Turkey camp I have a few drinks over the weekend and I've maybe had a beer 5 or 6 times in that time too. I'm off the diabetes meds, losing weight but for some reason am still middle aged, two out of three ain't bad.
Old 04-30-2013, 23:31   #73
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folsom_Prison View Post
^^^^^ loves the trouser snakes, thats what he really meant!
We know you do, but we accept you anyway.
For the last time
Old 04-30-2013, 23:33   #74
Riverkilt

I'm a bad drunk when I drink - alcohol withdrawal seizures, pass out for days....bother the cops and the EMTs and the ER folks. Got sober in 1989...turned myself in to AA. Was willing to do what they said worked. It did. So now I'm sober over 23 years. You'd call it a miracle if you knew me when I was drinking. Descended from many generations of alcoholics - maybe DNA...grew up around booze and drunks...maybe because it was available. First blackout was at age 10...dang near drank myself to death in college. Heavy drinking on a baby liver (liver doesn't mature until age 21 - that's where the drinking age comes from) causes alcoholism. Drinking booze heavily gets one addicted too. So I meet all three ways of becoming alcoholic and did. Best thing about sobriety is that sexual pleasures are much more intense and pleasurable when sober....and women are more likely to want to share such pleasures when I'm not besotted. I love sobriety. No one took anything from me. Its right there if I want it. My health and my life is so much better now. Can't believe I let myself become a slave to those corporate booze dealers. Drinkers check up: More than four drinks in one sitting is binge drinking according to doctors. And guessing you know all them "flavors" are just carrier vehicles for the alcohol which is identical whether its in Budweiser (worst beer ever brewed) or Jack Daniels, or Captain Morgan or Listerine or Lysol, or gasoline in the winter...

I didn't get in trouble every time I drank, but every time I got in trouble I'd been drinking.

Ask yourself - have you ever been arrested sober? (Warrants don't count)...amazing correlation between booze and handcuffs.

Biggest miracle of all for me is that since I chose to stop drinking I haven't been arrested once...not once...

Glock 42...somewhere you can't see

Last edited by Riverkilt; 04-30-2013 at 23:35..
Riverkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:34   #75
Batesmotel

I grew up with it but was not a drinker. Mom used as medicine on me.

Joined the LDS church so I don't drink.

I use Everclear as a lens cleaner and in some very old darkroom processes and I cook with wine. But I don't drink.
Old 04-30-2013, 23:42   #76
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
I'm a bad drunk when I drink - alcohol withdrawal seizures, pass out for days....bother the cops and the EMTs and the ER folks. Got sober in 1989...turned myself in to AA. Was willing to do what they said worked. It did. So now I'm sober over 23 years. You'd call it a miracle if you knew me when I was drinking. Descended from many generations of alcoholics - maybe DNA...grew up around booze and drunks...maybe because it was available. First blackout was at age 10...dang near drank myself to death in college. Heavy drinking on a baby liver (liver doesn't mature until age 21 - that's where the drinking age comes from) causes alcoholism. Drinking booze heavily gets one addicted too. So I meet all three ways of becoming alcoholic and did. Best thing about sobriety is that sexual pleasures are much more intense and pleasurable when sober....and women are more likely to want to share such pleasures when I'm not besotted. I love sobriety. No one took anything from me. Its right there if I want it. My health and my life is so much better now. Can't believe I let myself become a slave to those corporate booze dealers. Drinkers check up: More than four drinks in one sitting is binge drinking according to doctors. And guessing you know all them "flavors" are just carrier vehicles for the alcohol which is identical whether its in Budweiser (worst beer ever brewed) or Jack Daniels, or Captain Morgan or Listerine or Lysol, or gasoline in the winter...

I didn't get in trouble every time I drank, but every time I got in trouble I'd been drinking.

Ask yourself - have you ever been arrested sober? (Warrants don't count)...amazing correlation between booze and handcuffs.

Biggest miracle of all for me is that since I chose to stop drinking I haven't been arrested once...not once...
Never been arrested. Enjoy sex both drunk and sober. Take care of myself physically. Waste my money on lots of stuff, booze budget is small potatoes. Don't get in trouble, whatever that means, drunk or sober.

Did I hit all the high points?

Great that booze isn't for you, glad you came to a decision that you're happy with.
For the last time
Old 04-30-2013, 23:42   #77
NMG26

When I was young I use to get in trouble when I drank. Something about my personality got be beat up often when I drank. I decided to stay in control and be more careful around people after several instances.

Did not drink in my 20's and 30's......no problem.

Now I drink one night a week. I tend to stay in safe company when I do. When out on the town I don't ever loose control anymore if I have a drink or 3. I guess I learned to handle my alcohol a little better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by NMG26; 04-30-2013 at 23:43..
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:45   #78
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
When I was young I use to get in trouble when I drank. Something about my personality got be beat up often when I drank. I decided to stay in control and be more careful around people after several instances.

Did not drink in my 20's and 30's......no problem.

Now I drink one night a week. I tend to stay in safe company when I do. When out on the town I don't ever loose control anymore if I have a drink or 3. I guess I learned to handle my alcohol a little better.

All things in moderation, eh? Sounds good to me.

Including moderation
For the last time
Old 04-30-2013, 23:50   #79
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
THIS IS A NO JUDGEMENT THREAD!!! People state their reason and that is that, whatever it may be.

Is there anyone here who doesnt drink at all?

Would you mind telling us why?
Almost 32, never had a drink in my life. My biological father did significant prison time due to drugs and alcohol. Not to mention some family that are raging alcoholics to this day. It was just something I decided in my early teens I didn't need. It's also why I never experimented with drugs.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:51   #80
Riverkilt

Darkroom/wine? If you're really cooking food you eat with wine know that university labs have repeatedly proven that 75% of the alcohol still is in wine after its been sautéed for 90 minutes. Restaurant folks will tell you it cooks out. That is not true.

Glock 42...somewhere you can't see
Riverkilt is offline   Reply With Quote