GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 23:03   #51
boxer01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 220
Christ, I forgot alcohol is a demon's brew here and all it does is destroy lives. Guess it isn't possible to you know, CONTROL things.'Cause it's like Heroin ya' know.

Last edited by boxer01; 04-30-2013 at 23:04..
boxer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:04   #52
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelo6 View Post
I just turned 21, and I don't drink at all. Tried a couple of drinks on my 21st but didn't care for them.

Why? History of alcoholism on both sides of my family. Not worth risking it, in my opinion. As others have said, being drunk isn't "cool", despite what most of my generation thinks.

I don't care if others enjoy it. Most of my family does. Just ain't for me.
"Just ain't for me" is the best reason I've seen yet.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:05   #53
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer01 View Post
Christ, I forgot alcohol is a demon's brew here and all it does is destroy lives. Guess it isn't possible to you know, CONTROL things.'Cause it's like Heroin ya' know.
Speaking of, you seen my little rubber hose anywhere?
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:05   #54
boxer01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
"Just ain't for me" is the best reason I've seen yet.
Absolutely! It's that simple, instead people feel the need to guilt trip with family horror stories or take moral high grounds.
boxer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:06   #55
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
That right there is sig line material!
I stole that from Billy Joel;

I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints,
the sinners are much more fun...
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:06   #56
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,845


Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer01 View Post
Christ, I forgot alcohol is a demon's brew here and all it does is destroy lives. Guess it isn't possible to you know, CONTROL things.'Cause it's like Heroin ya' know.
Slow yer' roll man.....


It is understandable that people could feel any of a number of way about this issue. Let them. Post all you want about why you get your drink on but dont attack anyone because they have reasons they dont.

That and I am lit up pretty good and when that happens, I am all about peace and love! LOL!
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 04-30-2013 at 23:07..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:08   #57
FloridaGun
-> 10mm <-
 
FloridaGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
"Just ain't for me" is the best reason I've seen yet.
Because it doesn't make you feel like your being judged.

I get the fuzzys inside too when no one opposes/dosen't do what I do.
__________________
10mm - The All-Purpose Round

-FloridaGlockers #500 -Kalashnikov Klub #51

GOA and NRA Lifetime Member

Last edited by FloridaGun; 04-30-2013 at 23:11..
FloridaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:10   #58
Glockumollie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 150
Well #1 is I'm a devout Christian that is trying to live my life in obedience to the word of God that says drunkenness is a sin. #2 Any trouble and I mean any trouble that I've ever gotten in in my whole life alcohol was involved. I'm not a legalist that says anyone touch alcohol and yer going to hell or for that matter that it is a sin cuz that's not true. In the book of 2nd timothy Paul says to take a little wine each day for infirmitys. But for me I know my limit and my limit is zero. When I got drunk I was like Doctor Jeykal and Mr. Hyde. Its been about 15 years since I drank anything. I don't miss it at all. I've also seen many families and lives destroyed by it. I'm not judging anyone else I'm just speaking for myself. That's all I got to say about that.

Last edited by Glockumollie; 04-30-2013 at 23:15..
Glockumollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:11   #59
boxer01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Slow yer' roll man.....


It is understandable that people could feel any of a number of way about this issue. Let them. Post all you want about why you get your drink on but dont attack anyone because they have reasons they dont.

That and I am lit up pretty good and when that happens, I am all about peace and love! LOL!
Someone doesn't want to drink, that's their own choice and I completely respect that, BUT like I said, if they choose to shake a finger at people about it or try to guilt trip them with family/friend horror stories....

Last edited by boxer01; 04-30-2013 at 23:11..
boxer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:11   #60
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGun View Post
Because it doesn't make you feel like your being judged.
I've yet to give much a hoot about that, thanks growing up in an ultra conservative Christian family.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:12   #61
N4LP
Senior Member
 
N4LP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilrus61 View Post
My folks didn't drink. I've never been drunk. I can count on my hand the times I've drank. I don't like the taste. Beer tastes like horse piss. Wine taste like rotten grape juice. Sake tastes like turpentine. Whisky tastes like nyquil. I don't see how the first guy ever drank enough to get drunk unless he was dying of thirst or something.
The taste of alcohol is like anything else that you don't instantly like the flavor of, drink or eat enough of it and often you'll develop an appreciation for it over time. When I was a kid I didn't like onions, peppers, oysters, whiskey, wine, beer and probably a hundred other things that weren't just sweet or salty. I still don't care for beer or bell peppers, but the rest of them I like just fine these days. If I only stuck with food or drink I liked from the first, my diet would be very, very boring.

And whiskey doesn't taste like Nyquil at all. If anything Nyquil tastes like some type of bad liqueur. I'm not sure if there is a good liqueur though, so I may be biased.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:14   #62
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,845


Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer01 View Post
Someone doesn't want to drink, that's their own choice and I completely respect that, BUT like I said, if they choose to shake a finger at people about it or try to guilt trip them with family/friend horror stories....
Brother...no matter what choice you make...about anything, there is someone against it.

like I have said here many times, if a snake was eating a baby, someone would be on the snakes side.

As long as we are free to give those forces the finger...let it go.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:14   #63
BEER
bad example
 
BEER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dayton, Texas
Posts: 8,432
the fact that i've been mentioned by name directly in this thread really brings it home for me. of all the threads, of all the opinions, of all the things i've stated on this website over the years, the fact that my quitting is what brings me up in conversation is what really and truly gives me perspective.

now i have a reason to try harder to be remembered for more.
__________________
the brighter your light the darker your shadow.
BEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:16   #64
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
the fact that i've been mentioned by name directly in this thread really brings it home for me. of all the threads, of all the opinions, of all the things i've stated on this website over the years, the fact that my quitting is what brings me up in conversation is what really and truly gives me perspective.

now i have a reason to try harder to be remembered for more.
To be fair, bud, your username makes it a lot more memorable. I doubt it would stick in most people's minds if your username was glockerjohn14 or something.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:16   #65
FloridaGun
-> 10mm <-
 
FloridaGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
thanks growing up in an ultra conservative Christian family.
Lol, guess I ought to go shoot up some drugs, get some tatts and a bottle of Jack. Then we could relate more.

Or, Not.
__________________
10mm - The All-Purpose Round

-FloridaGlockers #500 -Kalashnikov Klub #51

GOA and NRA Lifetime Member
FloridaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:16   #66
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Brother...no matter what choice you make...about anything, there is someone against it.

like I have said here many times, if a snake was eating a baby, someone would be on the snakes side.

As long as we are free to give those forces the finger...let it go.
Well, there's a few of us on here who are pretty partial to snakes
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:17   #67
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
Senior Member
 
OldSchool64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,767
We haven't forgotten you BEER, maybe we never will.
__________________
still living & learning
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:20   #68
BEER
bad example
 
BEER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dayton, Texas
Posts: 8,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
To be fair, bud, your username makes it a lot more memorable. I doubt it would stick in most people's minds if your username was glockerjohn14 or something.
i've thought long and hard about changing it, but then i'd have to remember a whole new username and password, and i'd feel like some sort of wuss for dropping my name, almost like i was trying to hide my past.

i am who i am and i've done what i've done. good or bad i am known by my name and by my word.
__________________
the brighter your light the darker your shadow.
BEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:21   #69
boxer01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGun View Post
Lol, guess I ought to go shoot up some drugs, get some tatts and a bottle of Jack. Then we could relate more.

Or, Not.
Or you could hop off your delusional pedestal and realize you're no more holier then ANYONE else.
boxer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:23   #70
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic
 
Diesel McBadass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,843
i grew up in a family of very religous liberals.....now im the opposite of both.
__________________
Rest In Peace Silent_Runner.
Diesel McBadass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:24   #71
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew
 
Folsom_Prison's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 15,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Well, there's a few of us on here who are pretty partial to snakes
^^^^^ loves the trouser snakes, thats what he really meant!
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:30   #72
BigDeeeeeeee
Senior Member
 
BigDeeeeeeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Post Falls, Idahoistan
Posts: 2,248
I drank pretty heavily till about a year and a half ago. I gave it up for health reasons( middle age, over weight, a couple years into non insulin diabetes drugs). Once a year at Turkey camp I have a few drinks over the weekend and I've maybe had a beer 5 or 6 times in that time too. I'm off the diabetes meds, losing weight but for some reason am still middle aged, two out of three ain't bad.
__________________
Darren
BigDeeeeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:31   #73
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folsom_Prison View Post
^^^^^ loves the trouser snakes, thats what he really meant!
We know you do, but we accept you anyway.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:33   #74
Riverkilt
Senior Member
 
Riverkilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Page/Lake Powell, Arizona
Posts: 313
I'm a bad drunk when I drink - alcohol withdrawal seizures, pass out for days....bother the cops and the EMTs and the ER folks. Got sober in 1989...turned myself in to AA. Was willing to do what they said worked. It did. So now I'm sober over 23 years. You'd call it a miracle if you knew me when I was drinking. Descended from many generations of alcoholics - maybe DNA...grew up around booze and drunks...maybe because it was available. First blackout was at age 10...dang near drank myself to death in college. Heavy drinking on a baby liver (liver doesn't mature until age 21 - that's where the drinking age comes from) causes alcoholism. Drinking booze heavily gets one addicted too. So I meet all three ways of becoming alcoholic and did. Best thing about sobriety is that sexual pleasures are much more intense and pleasurable when sober....and women are more likely to want to share such pleasures when I'm not besotted. I love sobriety. No one took anything from me. Its right there if I want it. My health and my life is so much better now. Can't believe I let myself become a slave to those corporate booze dealers. Drinkers check up: More than four drinks in one sitting is binge drinking according to doctors. And guessing you know all them "flavors" are just carrier vehicles for the alcohol which is identical whether its in Budweiser (worst beer ever brewed) or Jack Daniels, or Captain Morgan or Listerine or Lysol, or gasoline in the winter...

I didn't get in trouble every time I drank, but every time I got in trouble I'd been drinking.

Ask yourself - have you ever been arrested sober? (Warrants don't count)...amazing correlation between booze and handcuffs.

Biggest miracle of all for me is that since I chose to stop drinking I haven't been arrested once...not once...
__________________
"Get off my lawn."


Glock 42...somewhere you can't see

Last edited by Riverkilt; 04-30-2013 at 23:35..
Riverkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:34   #75
Batesmotel
Senior Member
 
Batesmotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 12,640
I grew up with it but was not a drinker. Mom used as medicine on me.

Joined the LDS church so I don't drink.

I use Everclear as a lens cleaner and in some very old darkroom processes and I cook with wine. But I don't drink.
__________________
If it can't get you in trouble, it's not an adventure.
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 856
239 Members
617 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42