Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-30-2013, 22:12   #21
Detectorist

I rarely drink. Don't like beer.

I do like to make wine, though. My gallon will probably last me a year.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:14   #22
Zeebra724

Nope. I never had the desire, but then, my main reasons are...

(1) The Bible makes it clear that getting drunk is sin in God's eyes.
(2) As a Christian, though I know the Bible doesn't explicitly say that you can't drink alcohol, I don't want to put myself in the position of possibly sinning by getting drunk.

My analogy is if I was told that if I ever burnt my hand then I'd get in serious trouble, why would I hold my hand over a red-hot heating range?
Old 04-30-2013, 22:15   #23
Bilrus61

I don't drink.....never have.

My folks didn't drink. I've never been drunk. I can count on my hand the times I've drank. I don't like the taste. Beer tastes like horse piss. Wine taste like rotten grape juice. Sake tastes like turpentine. Whisky tastes like nyqui. I don't see how the first guy ever drank enough to get drunk unless he was dying of thirst or something. Been around bars all my life as a pool player and grew to detest drunks and their stupidity.
Bilrus61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:15   #24
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra724 View Post

(2) As a Christian, though I know the Bible doesn't explicitly say that you can't drink alcohol, I don't want to put myself in the position of possibly sinning by getting drunk.

My analogy is if I was told that if I ever burnt my hand then I'd get in serious trouble, why would I hold my hand over a red-hot heating range?
Seriously not trolling, but where does
It say getting drunk is a sin?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-30-2013, 22:16   #25
TK-421

I don't drink because I can't afford it, I haven't found something I like, and I don't see much of a point to it. Kids these days think it's cool to get drunk, I don't. Older people like to sip a good alcohol, but all the "good" stuff just smells like paint thinner to me, and tastes awful.

If I found something I liked, and could afford it, then I'd probably drink socially. But I'd never drink to get drunk. However, since other things are taking my money, and I haven't found anything I like, I don't drink.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:22   #26
fgutie35

I could say that technically I don't drink at all, cause I only drink on christmas when all my brothers are down here for the holidays. I used to be a heavy liquor drinker. Specially Mezcal or tequila, and I could go thru several bottles in one night. I just turned 40 and I lost interest in any alcohol. I never got to like beer to the point to crave it. When I felt pressured to drink beer just to sociolize with relatives, there was only a select group of beers I could stand. I never got anything from drinking alcohol other than a bloated stomach and bladder. Same thing happened with cigarrettes. I could smoke pack after pack, cause that is what the other kids were doing, but never got anything out of it. So one day I just quitted and never smoked again. Now cigars, I do smoke in special ocasions, but it has to be " habano".
Old 04-30-2013, 22:22   #27
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilrus61 View Post
I don't like the taste.
Do you like bitter or complex flavors generally?

Quote:
Beer tastes like horse piss.
Good beer can have incredibly complex flavor profiles. There are beers that taste like freshly baked bread, beers that taste like summer fruits, beers that taste like dark chocolate and coffee...

Quote:
Wine taste like rotten grape juice.
Wine is even more complex! A good wine is one of life's most fundamental pleasures.

Quote:
Sake tastes like turpentine.
I'm with you there, I don't like sake.
devildog2067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:26   #28
Harper

I almost never do. It doesn't agree with a few medical issues I have, namely EE & GERD.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:27   #29
Zeebra724

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
The Apostle Paul (through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit) commands the Church in Ephesians 5:18 to not get drunk:

"And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,"

He also says in his letter to the Romans (Rom. 13:13-14):
"Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires."

There are other passages but these 2 are fairly clear directives. Please understand though that I am not a perfect individual--as no Christians are...I still struggle with temptations to sin even though drunkenness is not one of them for me.
Old 04-30-2013, 22:27   #30
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post

i agree, i dont remember it i n the bible.
Old 04-30-2013, 22:28   #31
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra724 View Post

I understand that is a very common view in Christianity...and understandable.

From a Jewish standpoint, two thoughts that a lot of people probably wouldnt know.

In Traditional Judaism, there are actually two days a year that we are commanded to get drunk. (Purin and Simchat Torah) On Purim, it is even specific how drunk you must get (where you cant tell the difference between two specific names in the story)

And, in one of Judaism holiest works, (the Talmud) we are told things like

Wine opens the mind.

Wine is better than any medicine.

When wine goes in, the truth comes out."

Moderate consumption of alcohol as a blessing but taken in excess, it quickly turns into a curse.

There is an idea that sometimes we must think, and sometimes we must feel. We think with the mind and feel with the heart. A little booze can help cut the link and make one feel far more when that is what is needed.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust

Last edited by Rabbi; 04-30-2013 at 22:29..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:30   #32
FloridaGun
-> 10mm <-

Because I don't hate my life. It is unhealthy. Seems counter intuitive to impair oneself willingly. I would rather spend my time doing something constructive, instead of being in a self inflicted drugged stupor.

I can handle/enjoy life without a need to temporary escape reality.

I have recognized the subcouncious death drive and refuse to allow it to control me.

-FloridaGlockers #500 -Kalashnikov Klub #51

GOA and NRA Lifetime Member
FloridaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:32   #33
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I like my debauchery
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:34   #34
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
I like my debauchery
debauchery is fun!
Old 04-30-2013, 22:34   #35
xRUSTYx
9mm Fanboy

Big fan of micro brewery beers. Don't drink (Even beer) any longer due to gastro health issues :(

I miss having a beer here or there ... But, I'd rather have my health and be around longer with family

Last edited by xRUSTYx; 04-30-2013 at 22:35..
xRUSTYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:39   #36
Zeebra724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
On Purim, it is even specific how drunk you must get (where you cant tell the difference between two specific names in the story)
Interesting, especially as I'm preparing to teach through the Book of Esther with my teens (I'm an assistant pastor at my church). I've read that the Persians would purposefully get drunk to the same level when making important decisions in order for them to see if they still came to the same conclusions when completely drunk. I wonder if there is any connection with that philosophy and the Biblical understanding behind Purim as recorded in the Book of Esther.
Old 04-30-2013, 22:39   #37

I will say, that with a buzz, I drop my inhibitions like a cloak. That can be a good thing or a bad thing - a drunk mouth speaks a sober mind - depending.

After spending the first 18.5 years of my life in religious indoc., I've found that I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 04-30-2013 at 22:40..
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:40   #38
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

when im drunk smoking a cigarette seems like a good idea. Never smoke em sober though.....
Old 04-30-2013, 22:40   #39
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Do you like bitter or complex flavors generally?

Good beer can have incredibly complex flavor profiles. There are beers that taste like freshly baked bread, beers that taste like summer fruits, beers that taste like dark chocolate and coffee...

Wine is even more complex! A good wine is one of life's most fundamental pleasures.

I'm with you there, I don't like sake.
I am really getting knowledgeable about beer. I go to tastings. Have taken classes (we have a super mega booze store that hold a lot of classes) I subscribe to a magazine. Am a member on a few forums and I keep a notebook of what I try. Man, is it fun. I REALLY dig the adventure of beer....but it isnt about "drinking" it is pretty much the same as trying new food.

As for wine, I am a little behind. Lady Rabbi is not a beer person but is a wine person. She is on an adventure learning about wine. Being part of that with her has been a lot of fun (even if beer is still my thing)

I really would like to have a GT get together and go to Shiner Texas. (I wish you would come if we did, I'll send a damned jet) In the past, every GT get together I have done/been a part of was awesome (Shot Show, range days....)

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust

Last edited by Rabbi; 04-30-2013 at 22:44..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:41   #40
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I understand that is a very common view in Christianity...and understandable.

From a Jewish standpoint, two thoughts that a lot of people probably wouldnt know.

In Traditional Judaism, there are actually two days a year that we are commanded to get drunk. (Purin and Simchat Torah) On Purim, it is even specific how drunk you must get (where you cant tell the difference between two specific names in the story)

And, in one of Judaism holiest works, (the Talmud) we are told things like

Wine opens the mind.

Wine is better than any medicine.

When wine goes in, the truth comes out."

Moderate consumption of alcohol as a blessing but taken in excess, it quickly turns into a curse.

There is an idea that sometimes we must think, and sometimes we must feel. We think with the mind and feel with the heart. A little booze can help cut the link and make one feel far more when that is what is needed.
Wow, I learned something today.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote